Any harmonica players?

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Any harmonica players?

Postby Pepper Kittie » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:19 pm

Kinda random question - I've heard a lot of people playing sharps and flats on a harmonica, but I just can't figure it out. I even have a book that briefly explains it but no matter how I blow into it the pitch doesn't seem to change one bit. I have a Blues Harp in the key of C. Anyone else out there play harmonica and know anything about this? It really bugs me because I can't play the songs that I want to...
"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."
~John 10:10

~* Advocate Voice *~
Pepper Kittie

Postby SVD997 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:01 pm

I know how you feel. I am an amature harmonica player myself, and I'm not to bad at playing by ear. I've read how to do the sharps and flats, but I've never gotten to good at it. I know of some players who HAVE gotten it to work. It takes a lot of practice though. I know it has something to do with the position of the tongue, but I can never get it to work right.
Looking for that blessed hope and the glorious appearing of that great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ.
~Titus 2:13

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
SVD997

Postby shooraijin » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:38 am

I'm not sure how you do sharps and flats on a regular flat harmonica. My large Hohner Chromatic has a slide for accidentals, so when I want a smaller pitch change, I hit the slide (on the side). It's a bit sticky, alas, because it's pretty old but it works well.

My other flat ones (my Pocket Pal in C and my Marine Band in Bb) do not seem to have any way to change keys.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Pepper Kittie » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:32 pm

Yeah, I've heard about the chromatic harmonicas. I haven't gotten around to buying one. I don't think I've ever seen one, for that matter ^^; Are they much bigger, Shooraijin? How much do they cost?
"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."

~* Advocate Voice *~
Pepper Kittie

Postby shooraijin » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:08 pm

Mine's about double the size of my little ones. I don't know an exact cost, but unfortunately, they aren't cheap. A cursory look on Google came up with something between $70 and $100 depending on model and range.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Zarn Ishtare » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:05 am

I play a Hohner Bluesband harmonica, myself.

I play by ear most of the time, actually...

If you want to get a set of harmonicas in different keys, I'd suggest the Peidmont Blues case. Seven Harmonica's, all for $20 bucks. they are plastic though, not metal, sadly.

I would suggest getting said case and playing different ones for different songs. There are, sadly, just some songs a C cannot play. I usually variate between C, D, A, and E respectively. Differing between keys may help with your problem...
With your doubt, all is comfort
We are all as we appear
No more questions left unanswered
No more wonder, no more fear
Nothing is beauty, nothing's feeling
Blood where there once was a soul
So I ask you, prove yourself
Make me believe that you are whole
Zarn Ishtare

Postby Pepper Kittie » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:45 pm

I thought about doing that. It's nice hearing that it's worked well for other people ^__^ Maybe I'll check out that brand. It's hard to know what to buy. Thank you!

~* Advocate Voice *~
Pepper Kittie

Postby Lyrical » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:21 am

About the sharp and flats, I'm not sure. I think your tongue tip has to stay at the area just below your lower front teeth. While at that position, you move your tongue(the tip should move as less as possible from the initial position), the tongue must be moved in your mouth to create a lower pitch. To create a higher pitch, move your tongue (w/ tongue tip also below lower front teeth.) as high as possible, but not touching the "roof".

I'm not sure about this. But when I do it alternatingly with the two positions I said, It creates somewhat like a wailing monster or something.
"My blackest days were bandaged white I prayed upon my darkest night,
and bible dreams the lives of former whores.
I slept beside this angry calm, kept faith alive and far from harm,
torn I�ve lived, I�ll die a boy stillborn. " -Bible dreams, The Wild Swans

how i became christian:...
:evil: » :bang: »:mutter: » :( » :) » :jump: » :angel: » :dance:

FOR ALL YOU VIDEO GAME AND ANIME FANS.
---GO HERE!!!---
Lyrical

Return to Tutorials