Old vs. New: Clash of the Titans

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Old vs. New: Clash of the Titans

Postby rocklobster » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:42 pm

I just saw the remake of Clash of the Titans. What did I think? It was...okay. I mean, they tried to do better but it didn't quite work. My beefs:
1. They just threw in Andromeda so Perseus could have someone to rescue.
2. The gods aren't nearly as sympathetic as they are in the original. Here, it's like the ancient Greeks want to shout "Screw You!" to Mt. Olympus.
3. Athena's clockwork owl being reduced to a Big-Lipped Alligator Moment. C'mon, I liked that owl!
4. If Io was supposed to be an action girl, she wasn't convincing.
5. Djinn? Where are they in Greek mythology? I'll tell you--NOWHERE!
I'll take Ray Harryhausen's claymation any day.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:27 pm

Old one!!! And I didn't even think they could possibly make it worse than the old because the effects were so cheesy. I thought if they just adapted the movie and remade it with better effects, this would be awesome. Cause lets face it, the original is really anything amazing and it butchered Greek Mythology itself but it was still fun. I loved it cause I love Greek Mythology but the effects left something to be desired.

But wow did they really change the whole thing. It was like they took the story from the original movie and fused it with God of War... it didn't work at all... If they wanted to make a God of War movie, they should have made one. Not call it Clash of the Titans and try to make it God of War.

I liked the effects but that was it. The movie sucked. And Medusa was horrible.... That whole part was not suspenseful like it should have been. She moved to fast, she needed to stay in the dark... Blah movie sucked. I was disappointed.

Can't they just make a GOOD greek myth movie? Everytime they adapt them they either try to make it realistic (Troy, which sucked worse than Clash), or they do a real crappy adaption (Clash).

I'd like to see a GOOD adaption of the Odyssey or a greek myth or something.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:14 pm

rocklobster (post: 1461867) wrote:5. Djinn? Where are they in Greek mythology? I'll tell you--NOWHERE!

Yip. They have no place in Greek Mythology, just like the Kraken. ]God of War[/i] games if you ask me.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Maledicte » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:12 pm

Haven't seen the remake yet, but if it's just as corny as the original, I'm all for it :thumb:
Maledicte

Postby bigsleepj » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:29 am

If its corny, then its corny in all the wrong ways...

Edit: Tarsem Singh (a director whose works tend to be more interesting visually than anything else) is working on a film called Immortals, originally called War of the gods, and is loosely based on the legend of Theseus and the Minotaur. Hopefully this movie will be better.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:00 am

I actually don't mind the remake terribly, Liam Neason is awesome as Zues. I do mind the fact that theres a sequal in works : / I like the original better though
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Scarecrow » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:17 am

bigsleepj (post: 1462089) wrote:If its corny, then its corny in all the wrong ways...

Edit: Tarsem Singh (a director whose works tend to be more interesting visually than anything else) is working on a film called Immortals, originally called War of the gods, and is loosely based on the legend of Theseus and the Minotaur. Hopefully this movie will be better.

Yes! I heard about that... Tarsem seems to have a problem with pacing though but anyway... I'll see it. I liked the Fall and The Cell visually but there were problems with both as far as pacing and story telling. Either way I don't see it being any worse than this so... :D

BTW, Anyone see Jim Henson's The Storyteller: Greek Myths? Those are awesome.... not as good as the regular Storyteller series but as far as Greek Myths go, these are pretty fun productions.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:25 pm

rocklobster (post: 1461867) wrote:2. The gods aren't nearly as sympathetic as they are in the original. Here, it's like the ancient Greeks want to shout "Screw You!" to Mt. Olympus.
I haven't seen either movie but most of the Greek gods were pretty big jerks.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Atria35 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:15 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1462120) wrote:I haven't seen either movie but most of the Greek gods were pretty big jerks.

This. In the original Greek myths, the gods are selfish, mean, petty beings. So the remake might actually be truer to tradition than the original.
Atria35

Postby Vega » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:32 pm

I must say that I really did enjoy the new remake. Its action scenes were fascinating and It was just a fun watch however the original gave me a more lasting impression. Sometimes you just cant beat the classics.
The mind is so complex when your based. 32 levels. Welcome to my world. --Lil B
I'm not guna let anything take the love from my heart, the love of life and spreading peace and positive, thank you earth I'm alive. --Lil B
Swag like I'm marrow, in my bones. Swag in my bones. Bone Marrow Swag. -- Lil B
Shouts out to Lil B "The Based God".
Vega

Postby Maledicte » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:15 pm

bigsleepj (post: 1462089) wrote:Edit: Tarsem Singh (a director whose works tend to be more interesting visually than anything else) is working on a film called Immortals, originally called War of the gods, and is loosely based on the legend of Theseus and the Minotaur. Hopefully this movie will be better.

At least it'll be B-E-A-Utiful. Wiki says he's adding modern elements to the film]Titus[/I] only with Greek mythology.
Maledicte

Return to General Entertainment