Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe -- movie?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe -- movie?

Postby Straylight » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:58 pm

I loved the books, so imagine how surprised I was when I found this:
http://www.narnia.com/movie/news/movienews_020731.htm

Looks extremely interesting... I hope they develop this, and if they do, I hope they stay good to the plot. o_o
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby CobaltAngel » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:18 pm

Yeah, what Cephas said. O.x;;; I love those books though, so I can't wait to hear more. ^-^
[align=right][align=center]
Invisible Children || Justice For Children

[/align]

[/align]
CobaltAngel

Postby Bunny » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:29 pm

Oh, I really hope they don't ruin it but extracting all the Christian goodies in it. I'll go see it for sure but if that is the case, I will get up and walk out. Those books were awesome and I would hate to see them spoiled that way.
"So David said to Michal, "It was before the LORD, who chose me instead of your father and all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the LORD, over Israel. Therefore I will play music before the LORD. And I will be even more undignified than this, and will be humble in my own sight. But as for the maidservants of whom you have spoken, by them I will be held in honor."

2 Samuel 6: 21&22

"I am going to take this bucket of water and pour it on the flames of hell, and then I am going to use this torch to burn down the gates of paradise so that people will not love God for want of heaven or fear of hell, but because He is God."

Bunny

Postby Straylight » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:31 pm

Bunny wrote:Oh, I really hope they don't ruin it but extracting all the Christian goodies in it. I'll go see it for sure but if that is the case, I will get up and walk out. Those books were awesome and I would hate to see them spoiled that way.

Yeah, I'd equally hate it if they butchered the plot.
[align=center]
Straylight

Postby CobaltAngel » Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:14 pm

And they have a tendensy to do that nowadays. >sigh<
[align=right][align=center]
Invisible Children || Justice For Children

[/align]

[/align]
CobaltAngel

Postby cbwing0 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:40 pm

This should be interesting, and I'll wager that it will be faithful to the book.
cbwing0

Postby Omega Amen » Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:50 pm

Bunny wrote:Oh, I really hope they don't ruin it but extracting all the Christian goodies in it.

Straylight wrote:Yeah, I'd equally hate it if they butchered the plot.

In my opinion, the Christian elements and allegories in the Chronicles of the Narnia are tightly bound to the plot. Bunny and Straylight, the way I see it if they try to remove the Christian elements, they will consequently butcher the plot.

Oh well, it is too early to tell.

Ahh..., Lewis and Tolkien, authors who had great imaginations, mastered the English language, and truly believed in God. Personally, I think the combination of their faith and their expertise is what makes their stories so vivid and memorable to readers for such a long time.

Alright, my childhood nostalgia is starting to get to me. I better stop.
Find me on Steam, PlayStation Network (OmegaAmen), Backloggery, Twitter, and Twitch.tv

I am also in the Christian gaming group, Tribe of Judah in the Christian Gamers Alliance.
Omega Amen

Postby Technomancer » Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:43 pm

Cephas wrote:Heard about it, that I have.

Hopefully, it will be superior to the BBC version :lol:

I liked it. The special effects were a bit on the cheap side (look at Dr. Who!), but overall it wasn't bad.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:13 am

Since it is allegorical, I can't see them doing anything that would totally damage that, because it isn't really preachy. Then again, they could divert from the text and cut out stuff as directors nearly always do. This is why

I did like the BBC version, because it was so faithful to the book, that it was probably word for word. I mean, it was pretty second rate with budget, but hey, it's great considering that they probably didn't have any money. A bit long though.

Well, I really hope this is true, and the movie does end up coming out. Thanks to Tolkien, for sure, fantasy is back in movies!
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby Straylight » Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:32 am

Sometimes I wonder whether New Line have caused Tolkien to turn in his grave... I still liked the movies a lot though.

In my opinion, the Christian elements and allegories in the Chronicles of the Narnia are tightly bound to the plot. Bunny and Straylight, the way I see it if they try to remove the Christian elements, they will consequently butcher the plot.

Gotta agree there. The Christian allegory runs thick throughout the entire storyline.
[align=center]
Straylight

Postby Inferno » Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:36 am

were can i see the teaser!
"rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Philippians 4:4

METAL!!! :rock:

Member of headbangers united! \m/ >,< \m/

Myspace.com/cal3bsp3ncer
Inferno

Postby Kisa » Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:28 am

Thatd be so cool if they made another one! The old one i don't remember well, but yea . . .
I love the books and all! ^_^
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Spiritsword » Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:20 pm

Yes, I love the Chronicles of Narnia as well--memories from my childhood. I think if I went back and read them I'd appreciate the allegory a lot more. I've since read a lot of C.S. Lewis's other books and really enjoyed them, but I haven't gone back and read the Chronicles for quite some time. I'll certainly be interested to see how they portray the books in the movies.
Spiritsword

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:01 pm

I love the narnia series... I can't wait... however, there's something that's been bugging me...

www.narnia.com wrote:The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, published in 1950, is the second <snip>

It's not the second book... It's the first. It was written tLtWatW, PC, votDT, SC, HahB, MN, and LB

Magician's nephew is the sixth book in the series, not the first... Just because it's first Chronologically, it assumes you know things from "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" and the other books before it, before you read it. It really bugs me that modern sets are put in CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER instead of the order the books were made to be in... Horse and his boy should be 5th, Magician's nephew 6th, and "wardrobe" should be first...

People get freaked out if everything isn't in order... I'd hate to see them get their hands on something like "Boogiepop Phantom"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby madphilb » Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:48 pm

Bobtheduck wrote:People get freaked out if everything isn't in order... I'd hate to see them get their hands on something like "Boogiepop Phantom"

The Myst book series was like that (sorta).... the 2nd book left of just before the 1st one begins. 3rd one went past the 2nd game in the timeline though.

You can read the Magician's Nephew before Wardrobe, but I think it spoils some of the "magic" of the 1st book if you do (thankfully I already had read wardrobe 1st, so the origin of the street lamp wasn't ruined for me.)
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby YesIExist » Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:18 pm

I remember reading Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe in the 5th grade. Kinda Alice in Wonderland-ish. It was all right, I guess. What I remember mainly is the man-goat, and going into a wardrobe and discovering this mythical land. I think.
Idle hands are indeed the devil's playground. -_- :bang:
YesIExist

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:27 am

Oh... It's not really like Alice in Wonderland... I don't think it is, anyhow... Lewis created a believeable world, albeit fantasy, wheras Caroll created a dreamstate with no real rules to it. Very different.

I like Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass (what I had read of them, anyhow...) I particularly liked the "Jabberwocky" poem... Don't ask me why... His poems are so WEIRD! But... I love singing it with the music in the Disney version (though, I sorta know the rest of the poem, wheras the Disney version only contained the first verse)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Bobtheduck

Postby Destroyer2000 » Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:56 pm

Let's see...even though Magician's Nephew was the 6th one written, it is supposed to come before The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe...isn't it? I read them all in 3rd grade. I think Voyage of the Dawn Treader would have to be my favorite...then I liked the Last Battle pretty well...The Silver Chair scared me back then, for some odd reason...I read it two or three times, anyway, though, lol.
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

[color="Red"]Distance is to Love as Wind is to Fire...it extinguishes the small, and ignites the great. - Unknown[/color]

[color="RoyalBlue"]“Falling in love with someone isn't always going to be easy... Anger... tears... laughter.. It's when you want to be together despite it all. That's when you truly love another. I'm sure of it.â€
Destroyer2000

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:15 pm

Destroyer2000 wrote:Let's see...even though Magician's Nephew was the 6th one written, it is supposed to come before The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe...isn't it? I read them all in 3rd grade. I think Voyage of the Dawn Treader would have to be my favorite...then I liked the Last Battle pretty well...The Silver Chair scared me back then, for some odd reason...I read it two or three times, anyway, though, lol.

I disagree... It's chronologically before, but it spoils things that you are supposed to come into later in the series...

The Silver Chair... That scared me too... I had a nightmare about it that has stuck with me until now... That woman saying there was no sun, and the snake (was it?) and the mud people... I dreamed that someone got up to speak to all of them, and a glass platform he was standing on lifted, and 5 other glass sheets were drawn together to form a cube, before shattering and... Well, you can probably guess that part. He was talking to the mud people, and it was a magical assassination because he was saying something they didn't like... I remember getting made fun of at school for telling people about that dream, but you honestly had to have seen it to understand. (my dream AND the book)

Anyhow... I can't wait until these movies start to come out.
Bobtheduck

Return to General Entertainment