Van Helsing!!!!!!!!!

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Van Helsing!!!!!!!!!

Postby thorn1ofmany » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:46 pm

I'm really starting to like Hugh Jackman. First he takes on the role of Wolverine who is the very essence of all that is bada**. Now he is revamping Van Helsing. Is there no limit to this actor's potential bada**ness?
thorn1ofmany

Postby Orange Kitten » Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:47 pm

So far this is only the 2nd role that is of that type. He was in a romantic comedy a while ago that bombed; I forget the name.

Edit: It was called "Kate and Leopold"

Van Hellsing looks very interesting by design. But the preview shown makes it look kinda similar to Underworld. Just gotta wait til it comes out.
"Destroy all that which is evil, so that which is good may flourish" - The Boondock Saints

"Man creates dolls in his own image. If God exists, it's possible that we're all just dolls to him." - Evangelion (episode 22)

AMV.org Profile
Orange Kitten

Postby thorn1ofmany » Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:51 am

Kate & Leopold bombed? I thought it was rather decent, unlike Underworld (its name be cursed). A bad movie is tolarable, but movies like Underworld and Riegn of Fire that could have been soooooo good, but turned out so very very bad, those movies break the heart.

I don't think we have to worry about Van Helsing following in thier footsteps, the character is so darn cool it will be difficult to screw this up, but you never know . . . just look at what good old George did to Star Wars.
thorn1ofmany

Postby Orange Kitten » Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:36 am

You're right, "bombed" wasn't the right word. It just wasn't "that" successful.
"Destroy all that which is evil, so that which is good may flourish" - The Boondock Saints

"Man creates dolls in his own image. If God exists, it's possible that we're all just dolls to him." - Evangelion (episode 22)

AMV.org Profile
Orange Kitten

Postby cbwing0 » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:37 am

Did Hugh Jackman play Leopold?? :lol:
cbwing0

Postby shooraijin » Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:59 am

> bada**

Watch the language, please.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Michael » Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:25 pm

OFF TOPIC:
I thought Underwe-world was pretty good. Kate & Leo was a chick flick and most guys would rather be caught dead than watch one of those.

ON T:
Helsing could be good. Maybe. Hopefully.
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]S.D.G.[/SIZE][/font]
Michael

Postby Ashley » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:17 pm

Off Topic: Hey I LIKED Kate and Leopold!

On topic: Yeah, I saw a few posters for Van Hellsing...it definately looks promising.
Ashley

Postby Twilly Spree » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:32 pm

If you have a decent version of Quicktime you can head over to apple.com and go to their Quicktime section. That's how I watch trailers. They have a ton.

I'll probably go see it, looks kinda cool.
Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away.
-Sex in the City
Twilly Spree

Postby Michael » Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:32 pm

I just hope they haven't made a ton of CG for it. That gets tiring after a while. Remember those puppet suits in Aliens? Didn't they freak you out? Why can't they do that?
Michael

Postby Hitokiri » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:16 pm

When I first heard of it, I thought it was a live-action Hellsing!! Still looks good kinda....I'm not a big Horror movie guy though
Hitokiri

Postby Solid Ronin » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:24 pm

I hear that renagade
Solid Ronin

Postby Orange Kitten » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:27 pm

Michael wrote:I just hope they haven't made a ton of CG for it. That gets tiring after a while. Remember those puppet suits in Aliens? Didn't they freak you out? Why can't they do that?

Yeah, regular prosthetics and suits can look a whole lot better than CG if done right.

Hitokiri wrote:When I first heard of it, I thought it was a live-action Hellsing!! Still looks good kinda....I'm not a big Horror movie guy though

Looks more like an action film than a horror film. I wouldn't consider Blade a horror film, and it dealt with pretty much the same thing, except only Vampires and not every fictional monster we can think of.

AMV.org Profile
Orange Kitten

Postby thorn1ofmany » Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:05 pm

> Sorry about the language, didn’t mean to offend anyone, I should probably start a discussion on that in the Theology Discussions forum

Off Topic: I’m a big fan of vampires and werewolves and I loved how Underworld combined the two. Unfortunately it shares the same tragic fate as Star Wars Episode 2, great concept, incredible world, fantastic fan base, but the love stories were superficial and fake.
And in defense of chic flicks, I’m at least one guy who enjoys a good romantic movie, Kate & Leopold was ok, but it lacked the wit and sincerity of films like Sense & Sensibility, Pride & Prejudice, Emma, and Mansfield Park.

On Topic: Van Helsing is more of an action/adventure movie then a horror, like The Mummy, scary, but very very fun. Or at least I hope it will be. And why is it that everybody seems to be bad-mouthing CGI? As long as it’s used well and furthers the story I see no problem with it.
A thorn in the side annoys.
A thorn in the heart slays.
thorn1ofmany

Postby Orange Kitten » Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:10 pm

thorn1ofmany wrote:. And why is it that everybody seems to be bad-mouthing CGI? As long as it’s used well and furthers the story I see no problem with it.

That's exactly it. Many films don't use it well and they do overuse it.

AMV.org Profile
Orange Kitten

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:48 pm

Ashley wrote:Off Topic: Hey I LIKED Kate and Leopold!

On topic: Yeah, I saw a few posters for Van Hellsing...it definately looks promising.

Hmm... I haven't seen the anime "Hellsing" but my friend said that the anime "Hellsing" and the upcoming "Van Helsing" are based on the same story, only the anime is based in the future (basically, events started in the Van Helsing story that carried over into "Hellsing" just like 20,000 leagues under the sea carried over into Nadia or Atlantis)

I saw the trailer, and don't know what to think of it... I've never been into the whole vampire thing, so I don't see how this would be much different.

And, Off topic, but I'm a guy and I loved what I saw of Kate & Leopold... I never got to finish it. I have nothing against "chick flicks" and my anime obsession wouldn't have happened if it weren't for a "little chick flick" as it were... (that is reffering to Sailormoon, by the way... Just checking)

Oh, and CG is great. I think it was done well in, say, The Lord of the Rings movies... Of course, they had an amazing costume and prop design team, but I can't think of any of the CG except the balrog and that scene in Mount Doom that really stood out... (IN case you didn't know, the best measure of how good the CG in a live action movie was is in how few people realize it's there.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Orange Kitten » Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:02 pm

Bobtheduck wrote:Hmm... I haven't seen the anime "Hellsing" but my friend said that the anime "Hellsing" and the upcoming "Van Helsing" are based on the same story

Well, yeah, they're both based upon Dracula, which is where Professor Van Helsing character is from. Hellsing is full of little dracula tidbits like that, like the name Arucard (Dracula backwards with an R instead of an L)

It's weird imagining a young Professor Van Helsing fighting all those monsters like a superhero almost; after seeing Anthony Hopkins play him in Bram Stoker's Dracula.

AMV.org Profile
Orange Kitten

Postby thorn1ofmany » Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:02 am

Bobtheduck wrote:Oh, and CG is great. I think it was done well in, say, The Lord of the Rings movies...

You took the words right out of my mouth.

[quote="Orange Kitten"]
It's weird imagining a young Professor Van Helsing fighting all those monsters like a superhero almost]

Yes, that's the beauty of it.

I wonder if the vampires in Van Helsing will have the deep spiritual and metaphysical aspects that they possessed in Hellsing?
thorn1ofmany

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:51 am

I haven't heard of this movie til now, but it sounds interesting...Professor Van Helsing was the only part I liked about Bram Stoker's Dracula :lol: Just kidding.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Michael » Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:34 pm

Actually, Van Helsing (el movie) is based on the Abbot & Costello meet frankenstein/dracula/werewolf/mummy/wellyougettheidea series. Sad, but true.

<I haven't heard of this movie til now, but it sounds interesting...Professor Van Helsing was the only part I liked about Bram Stoker's Dracula Just kidding.>

He was certainly the most interesting.

<I wonder if the vampires in Van Helsing will have the deep spiritual and metaphysical aspects that they possessed in Hellsing?>

Nah, they're giant bats.
Michael

Postby thorn1ofmany » Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:38 pm

I loved those Abbot & Costello movies.
thorn1ofmany

Postby cbwing0 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:15 am

Abbot and Costello are awesome! :thumb:

Did anyone else see the Van Helsing preview during the super bowl last night? They also had a new Troy preview. I haven't seen the anime, but the movie looks really good so far.
cbwing0

Postby thorn1ofmany » Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:05 am

There's a anime for Troy?
thorn1ofmany

Postby cbwing0 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:54 am

No...I'm talking about live-action previews.
cbwing0

Postby DrNic » Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:08 pm

I wonder if the vampires in Van Helsing will have the deep spiritual and metaphysical aspects that they possessed in Hellsing?

Whoa! Hellsing's a vampire movie! I love vampire movies. I wish I'd taken a proper look at it when I was on amazon, ah man...
Take me

Far from all that's wrong and...
Let these

Fears collapse inside

Take me

Back to when i...

Believed

Bloodless by Emery

Come visit the free state of Non-1000: Home of the Special Uber Elite (and try the burgers :P)

There's this dude named DrNic,
If you forget him, he'll get ticked! - By CobaltAngel

:grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin:
DrNic

Postby Saint Kevin » Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:52 pm

Did anyone else see the Van Helsing preview during the super bowl last night?

Yes, and to be honest I think it was the best use of the expensive superbowl commercial time slot that I saw all night. Every other company was either well established and didn't need the advertising, or the commercials were old, or the commercials were just plain stupid. When you consider that they nailed their demographic (guys watch action films) then I have to say by just the criteria of money well-spent it was the best commercial during the super bowl. Itunes could be a close second.
Our lives are but a vapor, let us not let waste our time and breath on vanities, but let us spend ourselves for the Kingdom, seeking a better resurrection.

Preaching the Bad News

My Live Journal
Saint Kevin

Postby cbwing0 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:15 pm

DrNic wrote:Whoa! Hellsing's a vampire movie!

It also has a werewolf and frankenstein...what more could you ask for in a movie?
cbwing0

Postby Michael » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:50 pm

By the way, It's 'Helsing' not 'Hellsing'. Just being picky.
Michael

Postby thorn1ofmany » Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:27 pm

Correction:
The anime is Hellsing (spelled with 2 L's)
The movie is Van Helsing (spelled with 1 L)
thorn1ofmany

Postby Fsiphskilm » Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:11 pm

I really want to see th
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Next

Return to General Entertainment