The Passion Of The Christ

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Omega Amen » Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:39 pm

Gypsy wrote:My head has been in the clouds for a while - has the film been released to theaters?

The release date is February 25, 2004. That is Ash Wednesday, I believe.
Find me on Steam, PlayStation Network (OmegaAmen), Backloggery, Twitter, and Twitch.tv

I am also in the Christian gaming group, Tribe of Judah in the Christian Gamers Alliance.
Omega Amen

Postby true_noir_chloe » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:07 pm

"And if you don't like it, don't go see it."

That's putting it pretty plainly.:lol: If I didn't go see it, it wouldn't be because I didn't want to, it's more an issue of having younger kids and being responsible with an R movie, I think.

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby Fsiphskilm » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:07 pm

[quote="Hitokiri"]Some kid sto
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Nalani » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:28 pm

^__^ I can't wait! I wanna see it!!!! *hops around*

I feel bad for the people who think this movie is going to put Jewish people down. Its not going to be like that at all. In fact, I was listening to the christian radio station the other day and it was saying that the hand you see with the hammer nailing Jesus to the cross is actually Mel Gibson's hand.

Now now! I know a lot of people might be thinking. "What?! Is Mel hating on Jesus or something?!" But its not like that at all, either!
There is a powerful message behind it!

It wasn't the Jewish people who nailed him to the cross, nor was it the Romans or something. The one who nailed him was ME!!!! Its all MY Fault! I put him there! I with SIN!!!!!
And that is the truth. Mel realized this and brought it out in his film.
So ... I dunno. Maybe you guys could keep that in mind when you go to see it.
This is where the controvercy of who killed Jesus ends.
"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness or abilities that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer it or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." ~William Penn :hug: :poke: :grin:
Nalani

Postby Technomancer » Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:21 pm

For those interested, and article by Fr. Rosica was given a full-page spread in today's edition of The Globe and Mail:
http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20040220/COROSICA20//?query=Mel+Gibson+AND+Passion

Also, he quotes an official statement from the Canadian Jewsih Congress which is not at all condemnatory:
http://www.cjc.ca/template.php?action=news&story=631

Just so that people know that public reaction has not been altogether hostile.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:52 pm

THe movie is starting to sound REALLy ify to me. Gibson Is Roman Cathoilic (well some kind of Catholic) and I've heard that there have been things added to the story that were never in the Bible.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Technomancer » Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:20 pm

Ruroken wrote:THe movie is starting to sound REALLy ify to me. Gibson Is Roman Cathoilic (well some kind of Catholic) and I've heard that there have been things added to the story that were never in the Bible.

Ruroken, why are you so intent on attacking a faith that you clearly know nothing about?
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Ashley » Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:25 pm

Easy, easy. Ruroken, I would like to point out that even if Gibson was a protestant, adding anything to the word of God is unacceptable. So please guys, I ask you to keep it polite and courteous on all sides so we can keep this thread open.
Ashley

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:39 pm

I know about roman catholosism. if roman catholics beleived the same the wouldnt be called roman catholics theyd be called christians. and i find it almsot hilarius how the jews reacted to the movie. truth hurts,... its kinda funnny bout the R rating.. jesus death wsnt g rated. and i have a another problem about the film. the bible says NOT mto make graven images of Christ. in other words no pics or anything the like.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby madphilb » Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:01 pm

spirited001 wrote:It wasn't the Jewish people who nailed him to the cross, nor was it the Romans or something. The one who nailed him was ME!!!! Its all MY Fault! I put him there! I with SIN!!!!!
And that is the truth. Mel realized this and brought it out in his film.

What I thought was really cool was that this was one of Mel's driving points for why he did this, what this was about. It was nice to see this comming form someone who wouldn't normally be on my list of famous Christians.

I would like to interject with this whole "catholic" thing... hopefully I'm not stepping too far over bounds, my apologies in advance to Asley and the rest of the mods/admins if I do.....

Slapping a "non-Christian" label on anyone or anything identified as "Catholic" is a bad idea... just as slapping a "heavenbound believer" on anyone who calls themselves "Christian" doesn't work. It's those who place the Catholic CHurch ahead of a relationship with God and whatnot are the ones who've given Catholics in general a bad name.

Know this, I'm not Catholic, I have no intention of ever becomming Catholic, and I have some issues with some of the ideals and beliefs of the Catholic Church (some of my issues may be non-existant due to stereotype and whatnot, ignorance, that sort of thing). On the same lines I also take issue with something or another with most other sects or denominations of the Christian faith.

Locally I listen to a Catholic radio station. Why? Because it's 100 times better than the other Christian station that I can't usually tune in anyway. I generally don't listen to the teaching segments (1/2 hour shows and whatnot), but I've been known to do that with any of the stations over the years that I've listened too (unless it was to listen to the teachings ]PM me[/B], don't carry it out here.

I've been wanting to express this for a while.... and I think it's somewhat relevant to the topic at hand....

This is going to be a good movie, but I think that I might wait and do the DVD thing (I'm not doing movie theaters right now anyway)... the ability to share and whatnot that's comming out of all this is awesome. I say check the fruit... I think the fruit is good here!
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby madphilb » Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:09 pm

Ruroken wrote: the bible says NOT mto make graven images of Christ. in other words no pics or anything the like.

Actually, the Bible says not to make idols to worship... there are plenty who feel that you should go pull the empty cross down in the front of your church (if it's a typical church, as most have at least one).

As for the crack about naming... Denominations often referr to themselves by the name... Assembly of God, Baptist, etc... The naming helps to identify personal issues and beliefs of doctorine. Catholics also use the term Christian to describe themselves, the ones that have a relationship with God.
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby Fsiphskilm » Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:05 pm

[color=darkred][align=center]The
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby ZiP » Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:44 pm

I have a question. If you wanted to hear about Jesus. Couldnt you just read the bible???
--To Write Love on Her Arms

"That time and absence proves - Rather helps than hurts to love."

"Feelings, emotions, they are good, but they cannot be Love's foundation. When of Love, these things last. When of romance, these things end."

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, it's what you are expected to give -- which is everything."
ZiP

Postby Technomancer » Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:54 am

Yes, but there is also a great deal to be said for engaging the senses. One can immediately think of the great works of religious art, and their arresting, visual power. This film hopefully will be something similar, albeit in a different medium. Seeing and hearing it adds, I think, a new sense of immediacy to the story. In any case, aside from the production value involved, the film is not greatly different from the passion plays that are put on all over the world.

There is also the possibility that shown in this medium, the story would reach those otherwise disinterested in reading the biblical story, and get them interested.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Hitokiri » Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:43 am

from what I've heard from Mel, one of the reasons why he made the movie is to hopefully save people for Christ.
Hitokiri

Postby EireWolf » Sat Feb 21, 2004 7:21 pm

Ruroken wrote:I know about roman catholosism. if roman catholics beleived the same the wouldnt be called roman catholics theyd be called christians. and i find it almsot hilarius how the jews reacted to the movie. truth hurts,... its kinda funnny bout the R rating.. jesus death wsnt g rated. and i have a another problem about the film. the bible says NOT mto make graven images of Christ. in other words no pics or anything the like.

Please stop shooting your mouth off about Catholics... they are your brothers and sisters in Christ, whether you think so or not. And the whole "graven images" debate has been hashed over already, earlier in the thread.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
[indent]~~Gandalf, in Fellowship of the Ring[/indent]
EireWolf

Postby Bobtheduck » Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:49 pm

Did anyone see the Ebert & Roeper response? It was just incredible. I half expected that from Ebert, but not from Roeper. They both gave it a very enthusiastic thumbs up, and both of them denied ANY anti-semetic message being in the movie. They said they were both incredibly moved by it.

Wow... I'm still in shock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby cbwing0 » Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:57 pm

Ok, now that it is getting pretty close to the film's nationwide release, I have to ask, who is going to see it opening night?

*raises hand* I am. :grin: Some friends from church and I are going to see it Wednesday evening at 10:00. I already have my ticket and everything, so I don't have to worry about it being sold out.

My church back home is going as a big group, although I don't know exactly when.
cbwing0

Postby CDLviking » Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:12 pm

A large group of seminarians are going to see it in Portland on Friday. We couldn't get permission for wednesday because it is Ash Wednesday.

By the way, I am Catholic, and if anyone ever wants to PM me about a question they have about the Church, feel free. Just please keep it to one issue at a time. Although next week is spring break, so I probably won't be online much, you know, spendin' time with the family and all.
CDLviking

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:49 pm

[quote="Bobtheduck"]Did a
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fsiphskilm

Postby The Silence » Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:58 pm

>_< I am so sad i won't be able to see it anytime soon as i am going to Africa like, the same day it comes out.

Think it'll still be in the theatres in 2 months.... eh heh.... T_T
"Accoustic Guitar, I'm gonna make you a star,
Get your picture all over the world.
Accoustic Guitar, you can have your own car,
Just bring me back my girl..."

--Magnetic Fields

The Silence

Postby Bobtheduck » Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:22 pm

One of the theaters around here is sold out for several days straight ... I'm not sure about the one nearest to me, but it's likely to be sold out for a while as well.

[button=off topic]Ever heard of the song **Please don*t send me to Africa**?[/button]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Bobtheduck

Postby CDLviking » Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:59 pm

Who knows, maybe there will be a theater in Kenya that picks it up.
CDLviking

Postby Hitokiri » Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:02 pm

Bill O'Rielley (great guy :thumb: ) will be interveiwing Mel on the movie tommorow night on the O'Rielley Factor. I saw a small clip of it and it looks pretty good :thumb:
Hitokiri

Postby Omega Amen » Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:19 pm

Well, I guess should also mention that on the PAX network they will show (again) their "The Making of The Passion of the Christ" tomorrow night at 9:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.
Find me on Steam, PlayStation Network (OmegaAmen), Backloggery, Twitter, and Twitch.tv

I am also in the Christian gaming group, Tribe of Judah in the Christian Gamers Alliance.
Omega Amen

Postby Rev. Doc » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:27 pm

Tomorrow morning at 10:00 the cinema here is giving area ministers a early showing. I will post my impressions when I return from lunch.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby shooraijin » Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:34 pm

O-negai! ... I think many of us would be interested.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Shinja » Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:53 pm

sweet!
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:17 pm

Pax is on a dual feed, so if you're on the west coast, or if you're mountain time and have a west coast feed, you can see it at 9PST or 10 Mountain.
Bobtheduck

Postby Rev. Doc » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:32 pm

John 19:18a
"Here they crucified him,..."

Most of us have read over these words a number of times. Four words in which we recognize what our Lord did for us, but we could never imagine the true suffering and pain that they represent.

Late this morning I had the opportunity with other ministers from my area to view Mel Gibson's film, "The Passion Of The Christ." While many films in the past have attempted to present to us the hours of agony that Jesus endured for the sacrifice of mankind's sins, they have left the true horror of crucifixion to the viewer's imagination. Mr. Gibson however, presents in graphic detail what Jesus endured.

While some license is taken in a number of areas, such as demonic activity during the hours that surrounded Christ's death, and some symbolism is added to link the event to prophecy found in the Old Testament, the film for the most part seeks to remain true to the message of the gospels, focusing particularly on John's.

The viewer is taken step by step alongside the Lord from the garden to the cross. Depections of His treatment by both Jews and Romans is extremely graphic and I cannot overemphasis that enough. This is in no way sugar coated and I think one should prepare themselves for what he or she will be viewing.

I truely believe that many will be challenged as they have never been before to consider the sacrifice made as God allowed His only Son to become sin for man.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment