Return of the King

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:37 am

Ah! That is good to hear. I haven't seen the extended version of The Two Towers, but it is on my list of things to do. It will be interesting to see that.
uc pseudonym

Postby Kisa » Thu Jan 01, 2004 4:16 pm

I just can't wait now until the DVD comes out. I wanna get the box set with all the extras! Can't wait to see the cut out scenes and all! *drools* (^_^)
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby MillicentKnight » Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:24 pm

I am so mad at myself! I have been agonizing over getting to see "Return of the King" since it came out! I finally get to go see it and 30 minutes into it I have to leave because I don't feel good. Now I have this image imbended into my brain of Pippin writhing around holding the palantir thing. Gah!

Anyways.... n.n What I saw of the movie was great! I don't think they really needed to show that whole bit with Gollum at the beginning though. Some of it was necessary but not all of it.

Must. See. Rest. Of. Movie.
I'd like to slip into something more comfortable....like a coma.

:bang: *points* This is me 75% of the time...
MillicentKnight

Postby Bobtheduck » Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:44 pm

[spoiler]I don't think that the scene with saruman and wormtongue in the shire will make it into the extended... I had heard this was going to be left out entirely because it was a separate story or something to that effect...[/spoiler]

I saw it last week! Man, was this a great movie! This is definately my favorite in the series, and probably my favorite movie period! Hmm... I'm too lazy to do "spoiler" again so I'm going to leave it at that...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:22 pm

I believe I have heard that the scene Bobtheduck referred to has not been filmed. I've been saying since the beginning it was going to be cut. At least we get to see them at Isengard in the extended version...
uc pseudonym

Postby Kisa » Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:41 pm

Yea, the destruction of Hobbiton was not filmed, but Sarumon's death will be in the extended version and so will the Houses of Healing. (^_^)
Kisa

Postby Ashley » Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:10 pm

Saw ROTK for the 3rd time today...
Ashley

Postby majanthehun » Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:25 pm

you know that they've made almost 500 MILLION dollars worldwide?

they're going to try to get 1 Billion worldwide- the only other movie to do that was Titanic (which i thought was terrible).

i figure i should go help them reach that goal. im gonna watch it again sometime next week (number three for me).
Lord, I don't know where this is going,
Or how this all works out
Lead me to peace that is past understanding
A peace beyond all doubt

-Newsboys "Lord (I don't know)"
majanthehun

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:28 pm

Interesting. Almost enough to make me want to help them beat Titantic, but just almost.
uc pseudonym

Postby Ashley » Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:06 pm

Beware, Majan...if the theater had not been so cold, I would have fallen asleep.
Ashley

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:56 pm

I think I'll probably go see it a couple more times before its run ends. When it comes to the dollar theatre....oh yeah baby. 50 cent Tuesdays! *dance*
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:38 am

saw it loved it... O.O
[spoiler=LOTR: ROTK] felt so happy at the end and when the riders show up and the ghosts show up... oh and the eagles. THE EAGLES. (last three moments almost resulted in me jumping up in the theater yelling "YES!!!!") [/spoiler]

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:15 am

Yes, they were well done. And they actually move in physics-accurate ways, which I appreciated. Another note, which I only noticed in retrospect:

[spoiler=Gandalf]Not really much of a spoiler. Anyway, I noticed that every time Gandalf hits someone, they die instantly. When he's using his staff and sword simultaneously, his staff deals fatal damage. Those of you who know about weapons know this doesn't happen... unless you're a wizard.

Also, Gandalf takes down a troll. He rides past and just slashes it, but it falls and dies. I just think this was a cool touch, another way Gandalf is a subtle wizard.[/spoiler]
uc pseudonym

Postby Lochaber Axe » Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:01 am

Watched it finally on Saturday, and it is the best concluding movie in a trilogy that I have seen. I have a question, what happened to the orc leader? You know the one that looks like a big, hairless, deformed rabbit? I don't believe it ever shows what happened to him. All I remember is one last scene of him looking scared and then nothing.
Lochaber Axe

Postby cbwing0 » Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:35 pm

[spoiler=Orc Leader Question]As I recall, the Orc Leader was trampled in the first charge of the Riders of Rohan. Either that, or he was crushed by a boulder from the catapults, although I am pretty sure he dodged those at the last second.[/spoiler]

One more thing...

Sloth from the Goonies and the Orc Leader...separated at birth? :lol:
cbwing0

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:18 pm

creepyness....

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Kisa » Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:03 pm

I thought thwe orc leader looked like sloth from the Goonies too! Hey, Sam was in that movie, maybe he helped him get a role. ^_^

OOOO wanna go see it again! Anything to help beat that stupid Titanic record!

Hey, ShiroiHikari, where do you have a dollar theater with 50cent Tues?! Where I go to school they do that too . . . (wondering if your in same town, not that its the only dollar theater around tho, just curious) ^_^
Kisa

Postby Inferno » Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:53 am

:sweat: I saw The return of the king twice! I thought they left a few things out, but over all it was a great movie!(the best of the tree any way)
Inferno

Oh YA!

Postby Inferno » Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:08 am

I personally loved J.R.R Tolken's books(the return of the king and the two towers are my favorite ones) and the movies are very well done. I am a very big fan of LOTR ,and i've seen all three movies, and the return of the king is my favorite movie of the three. The Return of the king didn't have everything the book had, But over all It was the best movie(I think) this year. :thumb:
Inferno

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:12 am

I think I would agree with you. There were some good movies, but none that I think particularly would compete with it. A few movies have the jump on it fight coreography-wise, but it simply isn't enough.
uc pseudonym

Return of the king was so cool

Postby rinoa_heartilly » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:16 am

I haven't read all of the LoTR series, but ive seen all the the movies. I saw the Return of the king on January 1st. My boyfriend, and our friend david, met up with a few of our friends and waited out in the snow and the wind for about 45 minutes to get tickets... but the showing we were waiting for was sold out! it sucked! ANd my bf, John, and David were wearing t shirts .. and not their coats! WOO HOO! Yeah, it was for Lord of the Rings, it was worth it. It was such a great movie! It was an amazing movie to see in the theatre... Wow.. i am still in awe.... :hits_self :dizzy: :thumb: :dance:
"You should see yourself. Do you have any idea what you look like right at this very moment Spike?"

"What?"

"A ravenous beast. The same blood runs through both of us, the blood of a beast who hunts for the blood of others."

"I've bled out all of that kind of blood away…"

"Then why are you STILL ALIVE!?" - Spike & Vicious, Ballad of Fallen Angels
rinoa_heartilly

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:28 pm

What is this dollar theater madness that you speak of? I have never heard of such a thing!

I really hoped they would have [spoiler= book] the battle for Hobbiton in there, but apparently not...the rest rocked though [/spoiler]

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Kisa » Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:56 pm

Dollar theater is a place where it only costs a dollar to see movies. It takes about a month or so longer to get them there, but its worth it! Also they have 50 cent days too!

On another note, ARRRRGGGG! Big Fish beat LOTR:ROTK in the weekend box office! Not cool! Must go see it more! lol. ^_^
Kisa

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:43 pm

Big Fish was AWESOME! If it did that it deserved it. Of course, Istill think LOTR is the best epic of all time, but BF wins for best drama.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Will Smith, Jr » Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:50 pm

Well the series rekindled my love for the books. I restarted the Fellowship of the RIng and was immediately reminded of the richness that Tolkien wrote with. However, I'm back at the part with Tom Bombadil and read myself to sleep. After going back, I see how central Saruman was to the series and I hate that he was not in the third.

And yes, that Orc leader and Goonies guy are twins. I thought of the same exact thing.

As promised, Finding God in the Lord of the Rings is excellent. The authors take a look at the Christian themes that undergirded the LOTR. They emphasize that LOTR is not a Christian allegory as the Chronicles of Narnia but they do point out the elements that parallel the Christian worldview. Great devotional book.

Playing the Two Towers on PS2. Not bad. Gimli is the man...er, dwarf.

Blessings,
WillieDoc
Will Smith, Jr

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:44 pm

In one of the Return of the King games, Legalos is slower than Aragorn. Where do they get off doing that?

No, in relation to the thread, I'm glad to hear that "Finding God in Lord of the Rings" is a good book. I was worried that they'd be trying to make an allegory of the whole story and other negative things (and then you have Gandalf as Jesus, which puts you in a serious situation...). Perhaps I might look into it, if I get the chance to borrow it or something of the like.
uc pseudonym

Postby Kisa » Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:42 pm

Iam not sure if this is true or not, but I heard that Tolkein got alot of his inspiration and references to Christianity in his books from CS Lewis Chronicles of Narnia?
Kisa

Postby andyroo » Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:00 pm

I've heard that Lewis and Tolkien were good friends.
"As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is a sluggard to those who send him." ~Proverbs 10:26
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
A proud member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone! Join the fight!
andyroo

Postby Technomancer » Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:15 am

Iam not sure if this is true or not, but I heard that Tolkein got alot of his inspiration and references to Christianity in his books from CS Lewis Chronicles of Narnia?

The other way around really. Tolkien had been a Catholic since childhood, and after his mother's death was basically raised by a priest. He ended up converting Lewis to Christianity, although not to Catholicism. The two of them were at Oxford together and were part of a small writing group.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Kisa » Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:57 am

Cool! I love both writers books (Narnia and LOTR). Thats cool to know.
They both are really good. ^_^
Kisa

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment