Return of the King

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Ashley » Sun Dec 21, 2003 6:09 pm

You and I share that favorite moment up there, UC. ^^
Ashley

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Dec 21, 2003 6:33 pm

Hehehe, yeah UC, we kinda enjoyed that last one you listed :P And I liked the first one too.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Sun Dec 21, 2003 7:48 pm

I thought the movie was fantastic! Having been pretty dissapointed with the Two Towers, I guess I came in with few expectations, and I thought they were closer to the book than in the second movie by quite a bit. They did leave things out, but I mean, they weren't going to make the movie a five hour BBC flick (not to knock the BBC- I actually enjoyed the Chronicles of Narnia films and such) so they could be precisely acurate. They did make a great series BASED on the series of books, and I thought the conclusion was a satisfying ending. Yes, sap abounded to an extent that it was sentemental, but I'll forgive them. Nothing is perfect. Great job on a great series, which I am sure to see again many times over.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby Orange Kitten » Sun Dec 21, 2003 10:41 pm

Just 3 spots I like to make fun of...

[spoiler="Wizard of Oz"]
Did Mordor look like the castle in Wizard of Oz to anyone? When the Orcs were marching out, I expected to hear them chanting "oh ee oh, eooooooh wo!"

and at the very end, when everyone rushes to see Frodo in bed, that reminded me of the end of Oz when she wakes up and says "...and you were there...and you were there too..." lol
[/spoiler]

[spoiler="Never Ending Story"]
I couldn't help but laugh when Gandalf rode the eagle to Frodo and Sam, I immediately thought of Never Ending Story..I wanted to yell "Falcor!" haha
[/spoiler]
"Destroy all that which is evil, so that which is good may flourish" - The Boondock Saints

"Man creates dolls in his own image. If God exists, it's possible that we're all just dolls to him." - Evangelion (episode 22)

AMV.org Profile
Orange Kitten

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:52 pm

Hmm... the Wizard of Oz stuff (more so the second one) is pretty interesting. I didn't think about it at the time, but in retrospect...
uc pseudonym

Postby cbwing0 » Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:10 pm

I saw the movie this afternoon, and I have to say that it was my favorite of the three (followed by the Two Towers, and lastly the Fellowship of the Ring). However, I thought all three movies were excellent, so I still really liked the first two.

I won't give anything away, except to say that the battle scenes are awesome, perhaps even better than in the Two Towers.

[spoiler=battle]My favorite part was when the Riders of Rohan smashed through the Orc lines, and proceeded to bring down those huge elephant things. I was also surprised that no one has complained about the human mercernaries wearing veils and turbans. You just know someone is going to say, "That's disparaging to arabs!" Just wait and see if I'm wrong.[/spoiler]
cbwing0

Postby Michael » Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:03 pm

I wasn't bad. I tell ya, I got tired of watching Arwen drop books and look sad. Also
[spoiler='God doesn't exist']When Frodo pushes Gollum over the edge, I was kind of mad, in the book Gollum slips and it's like God made it happen. In the movie it was a mad Frodo. Not a very good message IMHO[/spoiler]
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]S.D.G.[/SIZE][/font]
Michael

Postby cbwing0 » Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:06 pm

I looked at the email message of your post, and it showed what was in the spoiler. Hopefully no one who hasn't seen the movie will read it. ;)
cbwing0

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:44 am

cbwing0's favorite part is also one of the moments I like more than most. And the physics all work, too (horse is multiple times heavier than an orc, moving at 25 mph...).

But I remembered another one of my favorite parts:

[spoiler=Corsairs]I'm pleased they left in the Paths of the Dead, and I think they did alright with it. But one of my favorite moments would have to be after it. The orcs are all lined up waiting for reinforcements... and then Aragorn jumps out. At first it looks like three guys are going to charge the orc army... and then foom the army of the dead rushes out from behind them. Great moment.[/spoiler]

Yes, the Arab-degredation thought occured to me as well. But I'm not the type to overboard with the PC stuff. It makes sense that they would.

About Michael's part... I agree. I thought it was a good moment of the books as well. Also, it is led up to by plenty of other parts (particularly where Gandalf talks about sparing Gollum's life).
uc pseudonym

Postby Keely » Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:26 am

..was sooo good. For a book purist like myself I saw many, many flaws and would have to rate it 7/10 for a book "first" fan. For just the movie itself it was a 9.5/10 and the entire trilogy as far as movies go was 11/10! The trilogy rated for a book fan was about 8.5/10. In other words, even though not everything was perfect, I was overall happy and amazed.

Warning spoilers below!
[spoiler="RotK review spoilers"]

Things I liked:

Denethor - I liked that he was meaner, and more insane. I know that some purists are upset he isn't exactly like the book, but that was how he always came off in the book to me. I did NOT however like his death scene.

The Pippin singing scene - was probably my favorite cinematic scene in the entire trilogy, so moving!

The Shelob sequence - was really well done, I still don't like that they put in in RoTK instead of TTT tho

Smeagol/Deagol - I like the sequence, it was a little over-acted and a little long. I did not like that they had to cut some other more important parts to include it - I would have rather seen that in EE.

Sean Astin's preformance - so, so, so, so good. Seriously oscar worthy

Eowyn vs. WitchKing - well done, could have been better, but they included the "I am no man" line, so I was happy.

Lighting of the beacons - very nice!

Things I'm not sure about:

Sam leaving - I like this, I do, but it is so anti-book, I just not sure

Things I hated:

Arwen - everything with her, expect the kiss at the end. It was all added stuff and unnecessary. "Arwen is dying" well good riddance!!

Elrond in the tent with Aragorn - no, no, NO - Aragorn already had the shards of Narsil well before then - this never happened, stupid Arwen story line.

Gothmog/Sloth - ok, um, what the HECK was that on the screen? The puffy-orc that was named after the LORD of the Balrogs..geez, he sure deserved some better special effects than that! And his lines sucked. Very poor.

The 8,000 false endings - most of those would have been better suited for the EE, and the black-outs were in poor taste..don't get me wrong, I loved the actual scenes (they put in "well, I'm back!!) but the way it was done was poor, ppl actually started to get up to leave during them!

No Saruman - Now, I didn't miss him during the scouring of the shire (although that better be in EE - heck, if they can put "Concerning Hobbits" in the Fell EE, they'd better put this!) but the first scene at Isengard needed him - how did the palintir get in the water? Where IS Saruman...too many questions left unanswered and a very badly edited scene put in. not good.

No ring on Sam's finger - that would have taken an extra 10 secounds of film, why not add it? And why make it seems as if Sam wants the ring when we give it back to Frodo? His only reason for hesitaton was b/c of the burden if gave Frodo, the writing didn't make that come across on screen too well, and I don't think it was Sean's acting that kept it from being obvious.

and the one that ticked me off the most....::drumroll::

No Eowyn & Faramir wedding!! - not even anything to show that they were together expect a very easily missed "look" between the two. PPl that didn't read the books DO NOT KNOW they are together. Very, very bad.
[/spoiler]
That's all for now!
Love it seems made flying dreams so hearts could soar . . .
Keely

Postby Ashley » Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:33 am

I'm with you Keely on some of those...mainly the false endings and that last one, although I did suspect things between those two.
Ashley

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:35 am

You bring up some good points, but this needs to be spoilerized...

[spoiler=Keely's comments]Thank you for mentioning about the ending. I knew it would have to be long, but I feel this one drug. The extreme end (Well, I'm back) was good, but by that point I was annoyed.

I'm relatively certain that the extended version will have the House of Healing in it (because of the look between Eowyn and Faramir). In fact, I think I have this from a decent source. Same with Saruman (but I know that for certain).

I actually liked that they put Elrond into that scene with Aragorn. True, not very in line with the books, but I didn't feel that was a bad change. His character had been expounded on, and I'm glad they didn't just leave characters to vanish once their small role is done. For the movie, I think it was an okay way to do it. And in the final scene... great acting by Hugo Weaving, in my humble opinion. [/spoiler]
uc pseudonym

Postby Kisa » Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:08 pm

UC and Ashley all had good great scenes they described, they were some of my favorites too! Keely, I know how you feel,my mom read the books(me next) and she was angry at the changes but she did say that Jackson stayed true to the essence of the books and it was all really well done. I enjoyed it alot! I can see your point though about cut scenes, I haven't read the books and I had to get my Mom to explain . . .
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Will Smith, Jr » Thu Dec 25, 2003 8:33 am

Well, after a week now, my wife and I finally saw it and it was one spectacular movie.
[spoiler]
I now see why Christopher Lee was upset. They could have cut some other stuff to include a scene with him.

Yeah the movie did end about seven times but that was okay. The Army of the Dead was nicely done. Coming off the boat was so hype.

Jackson did happen to capture the despair from the book on the screen. I read the books, knew what was going to happen, and still wondered if things were going to be alright.

I would have liked if Gandalf was more "wizardy". All he did was shine a big flashlight, though he still rocked.

Yeah the final scene with Gollum and Frodo was not quite like the book but I got over it.

And yes, Arwen got on my nerves. Liv Tyler did not deserve to be the third listed actress in the credits.

However, the credits at the end with the penciled drawings were beautiful. [/spoiler]

Lastly, for Christmas I got a book called Finding God in the Lord of the Rings. I tell you guys more about it later.

Merry Christmas,
WillieDoc
Will Smith, Jr

Postby Kesshin » Thu Dec 25, 2003 1:30 pm

I just saw it, and it rocked.

[SPOILER=What's this thread about?]The scene where Sam carried Frodo almost made me cry. Yeah, I know I'm a sentimental baby, but their relationship really touched me.[/SPOILER]
"Consider the lilies of the field. They neither sew nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed as one of these. If God so clothes the grass, which is in the field one day and cast into the oven the next, how much more will he clothe you, o ye of little faith?
-Luke 12:27-28

-CAA's official writing shinobi.

"Mostly I write action/adventure, and while I dislike romance, I seem to end up doing it and I've been told I do so well. To that I give a cliche "Feh.""
-uc pseudonym
Kesshin

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Dec 25, 2003 1:33 pm

I spoilerized that section for you. No big deal.

Spoiler tags work like this, without the spaces added.

[ spoiler=ramen] and then [ /spoiler]
uc pseudonym

Postby Retten » Thu Dec 25, 2003 2:54 pm

A sweet movie it is i saw the midnight first showing so i was happy! Overall i would give it 9/10 from the book stand point though i would give it a 8/10 they missed allot of the ending but it was still great :)

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby Will Smith, Jr » Fri Dec 26, 2003 9:11 am

Thanks UC for the spoiler help.

I didn't think about the whole Arab thing. That didn't even come to mind when I saw them but I hope that it doesn't become a problem.

WillieDoc
Will Smith, Jr

Postby andyroo » Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:05 pm

I've seen it and it is an excellent movie. I don't really know what else to say esp. what hasn't already been said. A lot of good scenes in the movie and great acting.
"As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is a sluggard to those who send him." ~Proverbs 10:26
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
A proud member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone! Join the fight!
andyroo

Postby Ashley » Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:17 pm

Considering the media for a while there tried to pull the same things with Episode II (i.e. the fact Jango and Boba were both dark-skinned, meaning Lucas hates dark skinned peoples...gee, now where does that leave Mace?), I wouldn't be suprised in the least if some idiot somewhere tried to pull the Arab-ROTK thing too.
Ashley

Postby Link Antilles » Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:11 pm

Yeah, I saw it opening day. I was going to post about it, but my internet connection messed and my post was deleted. Anyways......
[spoiler=Things I'd like to say:]
1. I came soo close to tearing up many many times.

2. There's a scene where huge fire beakons are lit all across a mountain range; Gondor's signal for help. It was one of my favorite scene.

3. "THAT STILL ONLY COUNTS AS ONE!" Best Gimli line evar. It happens after Legolas single handedly takes down a giant elephant full of baddies, then lands right in front of an awe struck Gimli.

4. When Gandalf bonks Denathor out cold, after Denathor orders the soldiers of Gondor to retreat. I was waiting for that. O'yeah, and when Gandalf tells Pippin to say nothing.

5. There's SOOOOOOOO much music in it that isn't on the ost. I want an ultimate edition of the ost or something.

6. You know how the average movie has a highlight sometime near the end of the movie wear you're like, "WOW!"? RotK is like one of those, over and over and over again.

7. Man there ARE a lot of endings. (Screen goes black for like five seconds then something else comes) I didn't mind any of them though.

8. I'm not sure how it got a pg-13 rating. The battle was crazy! or should I say battles?

9. Link A few Dork Tower comics sums up some of it. :)

10. I cannot WAIT for the EE edition for I know it will somehow manage to be even better than this version.
[/spoiler]

In short...I have just returned....

....from the greatest theatrical feat I most likely shall most likely ever live to see!

Heh, kinda depressing to know that. :sweat:

Bring on the Hobbit!
Link Antilles

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:39 pm

skyee wrote:I remember that Peter Jackson got a lot of bad press when they released the Two Towers. Apparently some people thought that the title of the movie was in bad taste in regards to then recent 9/11 disaster. They had a petition and everything to try and get PJ to change the title. The petition never amounted to anything much though.

I'd be dumbfounded, if I wasn't so cynical about people in general.
uc pseudonym

Postby MasterDias » Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:41 pm

Actually, I think I saw that online but I'm not sure if that was serious or just a joke. I'm inclined to think the latter.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Technomancer » Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:22 pm

I finally saw the movie, and thought it was extremely well done overall. I knew some things would undergo some minor changes since the book as a whole would have problems if translated scene for scene to film. In any event I liked it much more than the second film.

I do have few quibbles though:
Vigo does a pretty weak job in this film. He simply doesn't come across as having anywhere near the presence of Aragorn as king. He's a good Strider, but simply not regal enough here.

Also, Denethor is too much the stock madman. He's really more complex a character than the film depicts him.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:26 pm

I completely agree with you, Technomancer. In the book, I thought the interaction btn Denethor and Faramir was some of the most interesting in the book. Of course I loved all of it, but I was impressed with that area in the book.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby Orange Kitten » Wed Dec 31, 2003 4:08 am

Link Antilles wrote:8. I'm not sure how it got a pg-13 rating. The battle was crazy! or should I say battles?

Battle crazy, yes. Hardcore violence/bloody gore, no. There was like NO blood whatsoever. It was all just a bunch of people falling over from a thrust to the chest, or an arrow hitting them. *this is all going from memory from 2 weeks ago* You actually don't really see body parts flying off. If they went Braveheart style, it'd be R.

And I agree that it didn't really seem that Vigo hit his mark in this film.
"Destroy all that which is evil, so that which is good may flourish" - The Boondock Saints

"Man creates dolls in his own image. If God exists, it's possible that we're all just dolls to him." - Evangelion (episode 22)

AMV.org Profile
Orange Kitten

Postby Michael » Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:59 am

<I do have few quibbles though:
Vigo does a pretty weak job in this film. He simply doesn't come across as having anywhere near the presence of Aragorn as king. He's a good Strider, but simply not regal enough here.>

I guess I see what you're saying. He's really only played criminals in movies.
Michael

Postby DoMiNiQuE » Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:16 am

it was tooo long!!!! but really good
Dominique

Revelation 22:12- Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

Homestarrunner Rocks!!

Paper cranes are my friend... so is pastel stars

ImageAw.
DoMiNiQuE

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:36 am

I was disapointed in Faramir's presence overall (though I refer more to The Two Towers than the Return of the King), I had liked him considerably.
uc pseudonym

Postby Michael » Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:35 am

<I was disapointed in Faramir's presence overall (though I refer more to The Two Towers than the Return of the King), I had liked him considerably.>

If you haven't already, you ought to see the Extended Edition of Two Towers. It has a few scenes that expalian Faramir a lot better.
Michael

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment