What Movies are you Watching?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby sandalwood » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:29 am

Lately I've been in the process of watching Ed Wood and The Godfather. I have them on DVD.

I also recently bought Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet on DVD but I can't find anyone to watch it with me! :((((((( I guess I'll have to wait until I have enough free time to go home and watch it with my dog or parents. Single life...
:pikka: My DeviantART :pikka:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(╯°__°)╯︵ ┻━┻ - Mark 11: 15-17

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="3"]~Life doesn't have to be perfect for us to [color="YellowGreen"]believe[/color] in God.
~It doesn't have to be imperfect for us to [color="YellowGreen"]need[/color] Him.[/SIZE][/font]
sandalwood

Postby Atria35 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:26 pm

Psycho - Still an excelent film
Atria35

Postby ich1990 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:26 pm

Back to the Future Trilogy

Each movie contributes to the overall plot and there really isn't a weak link anywhere. I loved these movies as a kid, and they are still great. On top of that the cg has aged very well (and that DeLorean is still as awesome as ever!).

Silence of the Lambs

This movie is definitely scary and definitely well made, but it also definitely went over my tolerance level.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Vii » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:30 pm

Hanna

I liked this movie, due in part to the awesome sequences where the action was timed to the BG music, almost like a really good music video. The music was good as well, some of it sounded a bit like dubstep.
The action was good too.
The story...meh. It could be better, but it's not horrible at all.
Vii

Postby ich1990 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:03 pm

Upon y'all's recommendation I picked up Moon. It was as good as expected, although not anything like I expected. It was the most peaceful suspense movie I have ever seen.

[spoiler]The best thing about it was that the robot was a friendly and helpful to the end, despite sounding just like HAL.[/spoiler]
ich1990

Postby Tarnish » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:53 pm

Just saw Kill Bill Vol. 1. It's pretty good. Not Tarantino's best, by any stretch, but definitely enjoyable.
i draw things

Ponies are for ages six and under.
Tarnish

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:51 pm

GrubbTheFragger (post: 1513933) wrote:Anyways watched disneys the wild it was pretty funny. I think it's underrated, and at least funnier than Madagascar.

*gouges eyes out* Thanks, I'd nearly managed to erase that movie from my memory x.x The Wild is one of only three movies I've turned off halfway through and never ever wanted to finish :comp:

Welp, I wasted an evening with Apt Pupil because I felt like it, and it was amazing. It cut out a lot of the sexual material that bothered me so much in the book (one scene could even be skipped entirely), and here I was afraid it would all be included and be horrible. But to make up for that, it left out a lot of the stuff I really loved about the book, such as: [spoiler]the mad dash around the house to clean things up before the ambulance comes when Dussander has a heart attack, all the hobos Todd kills and the shooting spree he goes on at the very end, and especially how Todd shoots Mr. French once he's found out and then lifts his hands in the air and cries, "I'm king of the world!" I thought that was very important to his character.[/spoiler]
But it was very well done and the actors were all great - no surprises there, with Ian McKellen and all.

I also watched The Crucible because of a class, and it was quite interesting. Almost brought me to tears at the end.

I also got to see The Silence of the Lambs, which was very good and very tense and interesting, but definitely not a horror movie like I'd been led to believe. It's a suspense thriller with a lot of mystery thrown in. I teetered right on the edge of my tolerance level, and would have fallen over if not for watching it with my roommate who'd seen it before, who could warn me when to look away. I doubt I'll watch it again any time soon, but it was a good experience.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Kaori » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:02 am

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1515644) wrote:I also watched The Crucible because of a class, and it was quite interesting. Almost brought me to tears at the end.

Nearly ten years after reading and watching The Crucible in my high school American Lit class, pretty much the only thing about it that I remembered was those death scenes. They really stuck in my memory.

Coincidentally, I also watched this movie and showed portions of it to my class not long ago. It's not a bad adaption overall, I suppose, though my feelings are pretty mixed.

Cons:
- The witchcraft scene added at the beginning (though well-done and suspenseful) had some brief but totally unnecessary nudity.
- The order of events was changed. Lines were added and changed, and you can tell which ones they are because the script at those points is just not as well-written as Miller's original work.
- The movie further dramatized the hastiness of the trials (which was already an exaggeration of Miller's to begin with), and there were also some other things that were exaggerated. The scene of the girls running out into the ocean is very dramatic but not accurate to the play. The scene of Abigail talking to Proctor in prison is also not in the play.

Pros:
- The spot-on casting, the music, the cinematography, the attention to historical detail.
- The death scenes. These were also an addition, since they took place offstage in the original play, but they were well-done and add quite a bit to the work. The last few moments in particular--the ending is just so very grim and stark. Terrific way to end the movie.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:57 pm

I checked out the 2008 film home movie. It's a disturbing film about a truly troubled family. A true horror film.
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Cognitive Gear » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:39 pm

Love and Death, by Woody Allen. Great movie. It mixes satire of classic novels with comedic philosophical debates, film references galore, and silent slapstick antics. I honestly can't believe how well it all worked together.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:43 pm

The muppet movie, it real return to glory. Fantastic writing, with a lot of heart.

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Neane » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:49 am

Watched La Femme Nikita. Greatly enjoyed it.
Neane

Postby ich1990 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:25 pm

Apaloosa

A pretty terrible vanity film.

Collateral

Tom Cruise always acts cold, stiff, and emotionless, so I am surprised he isn't cast as a killer bad guy more often. It works well. This was an action film worth watching.

A Time to Kill

Wow, amazing film. I have always summarily hated Sandra Bullock and especially Mathew McConahay (or however you spell it). This movie single single-handedly changed my opinion of them. Beyond the great acting, though, is a fine courtroom battle, a great treatment of heavy subject matter, and well written plot and dialog. This is the best court movie I have ever seen. Not for the faint of heart though. Part of the reason why this movie is so good is that it cuts so deep. I was quite emotionally disturbed and expect most viewers will be.
ich1990

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:52 am

The Trial of Old Drum I didn't really like it much. I felt like I was watching a TV movie, to be honest. One problem I had was all these un-neccesary scenes that almost nothing to do with the main plot. It took about half an hour for us to realize what the film was really about.
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”-Oscar Wilde

“Books change us. Books save us. I know this because it happened to me.”Elif Shafak

"Don't stop unbelieving, never give into your unfeelings"-Mabel Pines, Gravity Falls
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby Neane » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:16 pm

ich1990 (post: 1518158) wrote:Apaloosa

I've heard that Apaloosa is a Western full of real depth and sophistication.
A Time to Kill is a Magnificent Movie.
Neane

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:07 am

Watched from hell it was an interesting film, a little to long though

GrubbTheFragger

Postby ich1990 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:36 pm

Angels and Demons

A satisfactory adaption of the book. There are no glaring faults and I imagine it would have been quite exciting had I not already known how it was going to end.

Donnie Darko

....Interesting. I like the way it doesn't spell everything out for you. My favorite part, though? Discovering that Gary Jules made a cover of "Mad World". Fantastic song.
ich1990

Postby Neane » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:56 pm

ich1990 (post: 1520978) wrote: Discovering that Gary Jules made a cover of "Mad World". Fantastic song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N3N1MlvVc4
Neane

Postby rocklobster » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:00 am

Just watched Super 8. Super Awesome is more like it. This was certainly one of Spielburg's best.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:06 pm

Tucker and dale vs evil. An absolute blast

GrubbTheFragger

Postby bigsleepj » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:57 am

Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Although there are a few dodgy parts (like the wormhole bit that ends up more trippy than tense) I think its a great movie, though I know a lot of people have a strong dislike towards it.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:18 pm

Super 8 , a really fantastic film

GrubbTheFragger

Postby raider~joseph » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:36 am

I had some free time and out of pure curosity I watched The Smurfs...I gotta admit gargamel was actually pretty funny for a childrens villian.
The orbital friendship cannon is gone. But its LEGACY LIVES ON IN US!
FOR PONY, FOR STUFF, FOR LUNA!

"I can has roleplaying!"
raider~joseph

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:33 am

Saw Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 again ^_^

I also saw Andalucia, a very international movie. It's Japanese-made, so all the main characters are Japanese, but most of the movie takes place in Spain, so there's lots of Spanish characters - as well as other European nationalities, and there's a lot of English spoken as well when the characters don't have any other common language. So plenty of subtitles no matter what language is your native tongue. I really appreciated that (though I could have done with English subtitles during the English-spoken parts, because there were some fairly thick accents going on). It's about a Japanese detective who uncovers an apparent suicide that happens under suspicious circumstances and seems instead to be an assassination, and he ends up getting involved with various adventures trying to uncover the truth.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Atria35 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:51 pm

The Secret of Kells- This movie deserved to win that Academy Award. It's so unique in story content, art (reminds me of Samurai Jack like this)... I mean, Up was good, but really only stood out for the first half hour or so. Secret of Kells was beautiful, though, every moment of it, with lots of fun and mystery, lots of the exotic.
Atria35

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:25 pm

Polar Express Bad animation, creepy eyes and cheesy moments. Good concept, just not delivered properly.
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”-Oscar Wilde

“Books change us. Books save us. I know this because it happened to me.”Elif Shafak

"Don't stop unbelieving, never give into your unfeelings"-Mabel Pines, Gravity Falls
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:31 pm

Ferb (post: 1522954) wrote:Polar Express Bad animation, creepy eyes and cheesy moments. Good concept, just not delivered properly.

Amen I really dislike that movie. I think the animation is good but really creepy.

GrubbTheFragger

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:21 pm

Watched the UK horror film broken, what a awful movie

GrubbTheFragger

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:46 am

I'm introducing my little sisters to a lot of great movies :evil: Lately, we've watched The Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Death Note, and Death Note: The Last Name.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:12 pm

Dale and Tucker VS evil ..again. Really funny movie

GrubbTheFragger

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment