What Movies are you Watching?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby bigsleepj » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:30 pm

bakura91 (post: 1493779) wrote:White Zombie (1930s Bela Lugosi horror

I love that movie. It has an excellent, eerie quality that many movies today lack!
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:55 am

Watched Space Battleship Yamato again, because I found a copy with English subtitles. And it's SO FREAKING GOOD. Seriously, watch it. It's awesome!
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Sheenar » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:19 am

I watched Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure for the first time in a very long time with friends last night. Loved it. Nice spoof on the Tardis from Doctor Who.

Be excellent to one another and party on, dudes!

Oh, Abraham Lincoln...
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby mkalv » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:33 am

I just started the Harry Potter books last week (I just finished book 4) so to celebrate, I just saw the first film. I liked it, but I preferred the book.
No pain, no gain. I would prefer no pain, but still gain.
mkalv

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:36 pm

The Parent Trap
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”-Oscar Wilde

“Books change us. Books save us. I know this because it happened to me.”Elif Shafak

"Don't stop unbelieving, never give into your unfeelings"-Mabel Pines, Gravity Falls
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:47 pm

THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY... I've always loved this movie but I hadn't watched in some time. Pulled it out the other day and was reminded why it's so awesome :D Watching it though, I couldn't help but notice how much it feels like a Tarantino film. Purely as far as filming goes, not the content and stuff exactly (not violent enough), but the filmmaking of it. Tarantino stages and films scenes in many of the same ways... I dunno... anyway...
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:35 pm

Saw most of Treasure Planet for the first time. I liked it a lot. Particularly because there wasn't an obligatory, shallow love interest squeezed in there (something that's becoming a pet peeve of mine).
Ferb (post: 1493983) wrote:The Parent Trap

Out of curiosity, which one? There are two renditions. (The twins' hair was blond in the old and red in the new, if you're not sure.)
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:45 pm

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1494212) wrote:Saw most of Treasure Planet for the first time. I liked it a lot. Particularly because there wasn't an obligatory, shallow love interest squeezed in there (something that's becoming a pet peeve of mine).

Out of curiosity, which one? There are two renditions. (The twins' hair was blond in the old and red in the new, if you're not sure.)

Yes! I'm not the only one who likes Treasure Planet! XD

The Parent Trap film I watched is the newer one.

“Books change us. Books save us. I know this because it happened to me.”Elif Shafak

"Don't stop unbelieving, never give into your unfeelings"-Mabel Pines, Gravity Falls
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:03 pm

Ferb (post: 1494216) wrote:Yes! I'm not the only one who likes Treasure Planet! XD

The Parent Trap film I watched is the newer one.

Huh, I thought it was a widely liked film.

Ah, figured. I've seen both, and I think the older one is better. If you liked the remake, I recommend watching the original if you can. I've seen it... a lot of times. XD;

FllMtl Novelist

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:20 pm

I LOVE Treasure Planet. It's one of my favorites. XD
Yuki-Anne

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:12 pm

Watched Drive Angry and had a blast doing so. Best action film i have seen in some time.
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:19 pm

I watched Tangled and Where the Wild Things Are last night.

I liked Tangled but found it entirely predictable, and the execution was not as delightful as it could have been. I always get really annoyed with movies that use narration to set up backstory.

And as for Where the Wild Things Are... It's like boredom put to film. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it sure wasn't to feel bored for seven hou--oh, the movie wasn't that long? It sure felt that way. Maybe it would help if I could remember the children's book? I think I read it once, long ago, but not within the past fifteen years. I should reread it. It'll definitely be more interesting than the movie.
Yuki-Anne

Postby Sheenar » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:58 pm

I watched The Labyrinth last night for the first time. It was really enjoyable --David Bowie made a great villain. :)
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:23 pm

Yuki-Anne (post: 1495572) wrote:And as for Where the Wild Things Are... It's like boredom put to film. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it sure wasn't to feel bored for seven hou--oh, the movie wasn't that long? It sure felt that way. Maybe it would help if I could remember the children's book? I think I read it once, long ago, but not within the past fifteen years. I should reread it. It'll definitely be more interesting than the movie.

It's been a while since I've seen that movie, but I remember loving it! XD I grew up reading the book, and while they certainly added a bit to bring it to a full-length movie (the book was a typical children's book, which, adapted exactly, might fill about 30 minutes), I really enjoyed the whole thing. XD It felt a lot like a big-budget art film to me. XD Also, the trailer is one of few that can totally make me get choked up just watching it (maybe that's just because I love Arcade Fire, but still). XD I remember it covering its themes pretty well, so I enjoyed it. XD I need to watch it again. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Kaori » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:53 am

When the Last Sword is Drawn: a film set in 19th century Japan, at the very end of the Tokugawa Shogunate. The plot is about a country samurai who leaves his clan (which is considered betrayal) and his family and joins the Shinsengumi so that his family won’t starve to death. His personality is interesting because although he’s an excellent swordsman and is also known for his learning, he comes across as rather fawning and money-grubbing for most of the movie. Definitely not a stock character. Overall, the movie was rather slow-paced, but it was interesting to see the sheer amount of historical detail that went into it.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:15 pm

Source Code
An interesting bit of scifi, reminded me of Inception. Not going to watch it again, but it was good once.

The Good, The Bad, The Weird
"what is this? I don't even"
A very ... different film. So many plot elements almost fit into the patterns I'm used too, but not quite.

Rango
Very funny, the dialog pushes the edge of what they can get away with. The best movie of the group.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Atria35 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:33 pm

Children of the Corn the 1999 remake. I didn't realize it was the remake. Too bad, since it really wasn't that good. I was actually rather glad that it was a total downer ending- the characters were SO IRRITATING. They deserved death.

Para normal Activity 2- Sooo good! ^.^ I'd seen the first movie a while ago, thought it was quite well-done. But seriously? All the men in the family are obnoxious. Micah in the first one had deliberately agitated the demon and challenged it, while the husband in this one made fun of his wife and pulled some mean stunts. Even so, enjoyed it.

Shaun of the Dead- I know this is supposed to be hilarious, and it had it's moments, but overall I found it to be depressing. I definitely see the blueprints for Hot Fuzz in the characters and the camerawork and the dialogue. Overall, I prefer Hot Fuzz, but I enjoyed SotD.
Atria35

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:49 pm

Watching Forest Gump ^^

SincerelyAnomymous

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:19 am

Atria, I'm puzzled that you see Shaun of the Dead as depressing. I would say something about there being differences between American and British comedy but it seems you understand them. Personally, I find the movie to be one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Atria35 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:34 am

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1495909) wrote:Atria, I'm puzzled that you see Shaun of the Dead as depressing. I would say something about there being differences between American and British comedy but it seems you understand them. Personally, I find the movie to be one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

[spoiler]Everyone but Shaun and his girlfriend died/were turned into zombies.[/spoiler]
I will always find things like that depressing, no matter what the circumstances/situations/comedy around them may be.
Atria35

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:52 pm

Rental movie binge time!

Source Code--Good sci-fi. Reminded me of Inception in some ways. I guess it's the gently mind-bending technology. It also made me think of The Tatami Galaxy, though the way the movie deals with basically the same concept ("go back and do it differently") is slightly different, I think. I liked that part, particularly when the guy went back and had more fun with it.

The Good, the Bad, the Weird--I watch plenty of subbed stuff by myself, but somehow it was completely different watching this with my parents (who watch no anime whatsoever). I wanted to like it, and parts were neat, but the delivery felt slow practically everywhere. My parents left to go to bed (it was late) about halfway through.

Rango--This was the best of the rentals, IMO. It was a lot of fun, though it pushed the boundaries of what's allowed in a family film in nearly every category (language, rude humor). The ending was a bit convoluted, but up until then it was pretty good. The Clint Eastwood not-cameo was my favorite part. XD

And, if it count, Phineas and Ferb, the movie: Across the 2nd dimension (TV film). I was impressed by this. There were just so many things it did right: inconspicuous foreshadowing, villain gets his dues, heroes make a sacrifice in the end. The only problems I had with it were the occasional cheesy line, blah combat (which really isn't a focus of the show anyway) and slow delivery of what was promised in the ads. But the rest was plenty good enough for me to overlook those minor shortcomings.

FllMtl Novelist

Postby Atria35 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:51 am

ET- You know, I've seen this movie quite a bit since I was a kid. I didn't like it when I was a kid, and not much as a teen, either. This was my first time watching this film and fully enjoying it. Beautiful film.

The Changeling- Dang. This was quite a film. Terrifying in that it really happened. No, I mean.... it really happened. The details were so unbelievable that they actually had to tone them down for the movie.
Atria35

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:58 am

Fair enough, Atria. I guess it is more of a black comedy than anything else.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Wolf-man » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:18 am

I watched The Shock Labyrinth last night. Like all J-Horror it was really weird. I enjoyed it though. It was well acted and had some nice scare scenes. It's not my favorite J-Horror, not even really on the list of favorites. It was good though and I recommend to Horror fans.
Wolf-man

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:01 pm

Watched Tron Legacy and Fallen.

Tron wasn't bad just very generic minus the cool colors

Fallen was boring, the idea was great the execution not as much
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby mkalv » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:43 am

Over the last few days, I have watched Reign of Fire, Battle: Los Angeles, and the Gamera trilogy.

Reign of Fire was okay, nothing special, Battle: LA was a little better, and the Gamera trilogy, while not bad, just isn't my cup of tea.
No pain, no gain. I would prefer no pain, but still gain.
mkalv

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:00 pm

Tonight, I watched two movies: Unknown (starring Liam Neeson) with some friends of the family, and Jaws.

Unknown was unfortunately a terrible movie. XD Well, not terrible. It's not like it went out of its way to be bad. But it was a seriously mediocre action flick. Basically, it was The Bourne Identity, starring Liam Neeson. Except not nearly as good. Shaky cam everywhere, weird colors, stiff acting, an overused plot line full of giant holes, and car chases that were only there to fulfill the "car chase" requirement that all action movies apparently need; it had a terrible script, and also sported the sad fact that Liam Neeson has been in so many other good movies, and yet recently he is just in terrible movies all of the time. XD I would not recommend it. XD

Jaws, on the other hand, was a ton of fun. XD I realize that it is crazy for me to have not seen that movie after 22 years of my life, but that's just how it happened (on that note, I still have yet to see E.T.--that's next on my list of movies I was supposed to watch as a child and still have yet to see XD). It was pretty much everything I was expecting it to be, which means it was a pretty satisfying Spielberg movie from the 70's. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:39 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1496839) wrote:Jaws ... I realize that it is crazy for me to have not seen that movie after 22 years of my life, but that's just how it happened

Psst! I'm 20, and haven't seen it either :P

Well, I was at my best friend's house, and you can't be a very good friend of mine if you don't like watching movies endlessly, so I've seen quite a few recently:

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - Rewatched this with my friend to get her up to speed, since she hadn't seen it yet.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Parts 1 and 2 - I rewatched Part 1 specifically so I could see the eighth movie, which I saw in theaters twice. I really like both of these; they feel like the same story, but quite distinct, and are very good adaptations of the book. The actors also have finally learned how to act natural, which is good. I loved the climax of this epic series!

El Orfanato (The Orphanage) - I rewatched this Spanish horror movie with my mom, because I wanted to see it again and to show her how well-made the movie is. I don't find this movie horrifying at all, just very atmospheric and beautiful to watch. (Some people might be bothered by the presence of a medium and the positive light cast on suicide, though.)

The Last Airbender - Yes, I watched this movie. No, I haven't seen any of the cartoon yet. I certainly plan to, though! I could see, through the cheese and lame acting, a story and cast of characters with interesting potential. My favorite part of the movie was when this general guy from the Fire place gets crazy-huge eyes and says, "THIS IS A MAP!!!" :lol:

Everything Is Illuminated - This was...interesting. Elijah Wood was the right pick for the character, because he has a face that seems permanently worried (which also worked excellently for Frodo, to emphasize his stressful journey). It's a funny yet tragic movie about an American Jew who goes back to Ukraine to track down his family, and has a lot of cultural interplay.

Death Note, Death Note: The Last Name, L: Change the World - I LOVE THESE MOVIES SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!! :waah!:
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Neane » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:58 am

I just watched a Serbian Cyberpunk animated movie that was created by a staff of 15 people (Not including the Voice Actors) called Technotise: Edit & I. It used four different styles of animation. One Word: Wow. Has some of the feel you get from Lain.
Neane

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:41 am

The Orphanage isn't horrific but there are some creepy moments towards the end. Above all it's a very sad movie.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment