What Movies are you Watching?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby mkalv » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:39 am

I saw Transformers: Dark of the Moon, which I really enjoyed, Green Lantern: Emerald Knights, which was good, and Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster, which was okay.
No pain, no gain. I would prefer no pain, but still gain.
mkalv

Postby bakura91 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:28 pm

Just saw Green Lantern: I loved it! I'm a big fan of the comics and scifi movies in general also watched Gamer: very interesting action movie from a couple years ago I liked it it had a lot of crazy action and I like when mainstream movies aimed at teens can also have a good story and make a point.
bakura91

Postby bakura91 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:38 pm

mkalv (post: 1490031) wrote:I saw Transformers: Dark of the Moon, which I really enjoyed, Green Lantern: Emerald Knights, which was good, and Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster, which was okay.

I LOVE Godzilla movies there are only a few I havent seen yet, How Many you seen? My favorites I would recommend are The 1st one (1954) Godzilla Raids again, Destroy all Monsters, Godzilla Vs. Megalon, Godzilla Vs. Mecha Godzilla, Godzilla Vs Destroyah, and Godzilla Final Wars!
bakura91

Postby mkalv » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:48 pm

bakura91 (post: 1490093) wrote:I LOVE Godzilla movies there are only a few I havent seen yet, How Many you seen? My favorites I would recommend are The 1st one (1954) Godzilla Raids again, Destroy all Monsters, Godzilla Vs. Megalon, Godzilla Vs. Mecha Godzilla, Godzilla Vs Destroyah, and Godzilla Final Wars!

I've only seen the first six, I think, but i'll be seeing the rest soon, thanks to Blockbuster and Netflix. These films never air on TV anymore.
No pain, no gain. I would prefer no pain, but still gain.
mkalv

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:09 pm

bakura91 (post: 1490089) wrote:Just saw Green Lantern: I loved it! I'm a big fan of the comics and scifi movies in general also watched Gamer: very interesting action movie from a couple years ago I liked it it had a lot of crazy action and I like when mainstream movies aimed at teens can also have a good story and make a point.

I am gonna point out that Gamer was not aimed at teens, it was a HARD R rating for the constant nudity and gore
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby bakura91 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:02 pm

GrubbTheFragger (post: 1490130) wrote:I am gonna point out that Gamer was not aimed at teens, it was a HARD R rating for the constant nudity and gore

True! Im Sorry I forgot to mention that, yes Sometimes I forget about ratings. I assumed it was aimed at teenagers because so much violent media is now-a-days I liked the movie though because I thought at least its pointing out some things and some teenager might see it and "get it" Then again maybe I'm wrong. Id rather that then some sicker stuff Like Saw or Hostel thats just violence for the sake of violence. And I dont want to give the impression that I'm not senstive to other peoples tastes I'll remember to put a rating or warn if theres any objectionable content in a movie before I recommend or discuss it from now on.
bakura91

Postby Cognitive Gear » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:12 pm

Do The Right Thing- This is the first Spike Lee movie that I've ever seen. It's definitely a good movie, one that captures the complexities of race relations in the US pretty well.
Cognitive Gear

Postby GeneD » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:24 am

Marathoned the first 6 Harry Potter movies in preparation for Deathly Hallows part 2, I am not up the the eyeballs in Harry and co. XD
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:31 am

Watched Hard Candy last night and yeah it was a very uncomfortable and intense ride. Very well done

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:33 am

GeneD, good effort! Don't you mean the first *7* movies? This latest movie is the 8th.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Atria35 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:38 am

GrubbTheFragger (post: 1490903) wrote:Watched Hard Candy last night and yeah it was a very uncomfortable and intense ride. Very well done

Really? I didn't like it. Both the girl and the guy were completely unsympathetic. There's a certain line that vigilante justice shouldn't cross, and she did it. Multiple times. As terrible as that man was... I won't deny it was well-made, but a good movie? I'm not sure about that.
Atria35

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:43 pm

Because I needed a dose of the highly fantastic, I watched X-Men: First Class :cool: That was pretty cool! I've always liked Xavier, so it was interesting to see what he could be like as a young man. I liked all the little things that make fans of the other movies smile, like Wolverine's cameo or them joking about Xavier going bald. The effects were cool, as usual, and I was impressed with how much they did in foreign languages. It added an extra flair to the movie, I thought. And I really liked this one parallel they drew between Magneto and Xavier about killing someone. A very fun ride, all told.

Also, because I felt like it and I needed to have a good oh-that's-beautiful cry, I watched Martian Child again. I just love that movie, with its wonderful message and quirky characters.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby GeneD » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:53 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1490904) wrote:GeneD, good effort! Don't you mean the first *7* movies? This latest movie is the 8th.
Nope, only watched up till Half-Blood Prince, so the first 6.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
GeneD

Postby Cognitive Gear » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:56 pm

The Hudsucker Proxy- I loved this movie. I have no idea why I so rarely hear it's name.
Cognitive Gear

Postby bigsleepj » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:15 pm

Cognitive Gear (post: 1490971) wrote:The Hudsucker Proxy- I loved this movie. I have no idea why I so rarely hear it's name.

I don't know either. Maybe too many thought its a movie for kids. I love this movie too. I found it hilarious when I saw it for the first time. I have it on DVD and I like to watch every now and again. Come to think of it I'm due a watch. Also, its probably the only movie that gets away with a deus ex machina.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Agloval » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:34 pm

I saw the documentary Senna (here's its trailer) at the cinema last weekend. I thought it was pretty gripping and quite moving. It probably helped that I only have a casual interest in F1 racing -- in some ways the less you know about Senna's life the more interesting the movie could be. Maybe.
'That blast is blown for me, for I am the prize, and yet am I not dead.'
Agloval

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:05 pm

Road to Morocco--Old, somewhat obscure b/w movie with Bing Crosby and Bob Hope. It was aired last night on TCM because the night's topic was Arabs in film, and how they were (are?) almost always showed in a poor way. And I don't think the representation was correct in this movie... possibly offensive? I wouldn't know for sure. >_>;;; They sure didn't have many Arab actors, though. I could tell that much. Usually they just had dark-haired Caucasians.

Other than that, the movie was pretty terrible and stupid in some places. Plot holes here and there. But... I still got a kick out of it. It knew it was bad, and poked fun at itself. Overall it was pretty screwball. And... talking camels... XD;;

Now I want to watch the two Road movies I have (Rio and Bali), and see how consistent the plots were.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:33 pm

Atria35 (post: 1490906) wrote:Really? I didn't like it. Both the girl and the guy were completely unsympathetic. There's a certain line that vigilante justice shouldn't cross, and she did it. Multiple times. As terrible as that man was... I won't deny it was well-made, but a good movie? I'm not sure about that.

I agree with the points about her crossing the line A LOT, i honestly think thats why i liked it. Not because she tortured him but because how grey the lines where separating both of them, he was a horrible man but on multiple times your hoping for this teenage girl to get stopped because of how crazy she was. I took it as a statement of what is and what isn't right to do when it comes to revenge. I will have a much better explanation of review i am writing for my new blog that i will be glad to PM you. But in short yes i thought it was a good watch.

GrubbTheFragger

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:46 am

I just rewatched 'The Hudsucker Proxy', to remind myself that good cult movies need to be watched.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:47 pm

Night and Day--An old Cary Grant movie about the life of Cole Porter. I liked the songs, but I'm not entirely sure what to make of the movie overall. It wasn't great, but it didn't seem terrible to me either.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 pm

Manhattan- What a terrific film. The satire in this film is incredible, and feels so personal. It makes me wonder how much of it was self-depreciating.
Cognitive Gear

Postby Mister » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:04 am

"The Way Back" inspired by the book "The Long Walk" by Slavomir Rawicz. OH EM GEE one the best films i've seen. ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so6IQ4GYm2o&feature=related

I'll never be the same, after meeting you. I'll never Love the same after Loving you. i'll never breath the same after breathing in your Life. Lord you change me.
Mister

Postby GeneD » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:25 pm

Went to see Kung Fu Panda 2 yesterday. I enjoyed it although still like the first one better (Tai Lung <3). The baby panda was painfully cute.

MAL
Twitter
GeneD

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:53 pm

I watched Gantz last night. (I think it'll be a while before it's out in the States with English subtitles. The only subtitles available on the copy I rented were in Japanese). It was... okay. Fairly formulaic and predictable, and it always drives me nuts when characters have the gun, are pointing it at the enemy, and ARE NOT FIRING. Like, it's okay if they're not firing out of inner turmoil, but when it's obvious that wasting three seconds seeing what your enemy will do next will result in YOUR DEATH, you should probably be FIRING YOUR FREAKING GUN.

Also, it was not what I was expecting, because I was completely unfamiliar with Gantz. I got trailers for Battle Spaceship Yamato mixed up with it, so I was expecting intense sci-fi action. What I got was basically like watching a gory video game, complete with the urge to back-seat game: "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! FIRE YOUR GUN! UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT A B A B START! COME OOOONNNN!!!"

Anyway, I don't recommend it; it's not that great.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Atria35 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:13 pm

Deathly Hallows 7.1 because we're going to see 7.2 tomorrow. We wanted to wait because my brother wanted to see it for his bday treat.

RIP Dobby
Atria35

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:45 pm

........ Well, I can't edit my post last so sorry for double-posting!

House on Haunted Hill - a bit cheezy, but overall a decent film. I think it's pretty obvious by the end there are no ghosts, and it's just the dude being paranoid. Some scenes that were meant to be scary were actually hilarious. Others were genuinely creepy.

House on Haunted Hill (remake)-I saw bits and pieces of it on tv. It also made me freak out at some points (and laugh hilariously at others. "But I was adopted!" xDD ). I also had the most creepy/terrifying nightmare when I napped after watching it. So it's one that I really should only watch during the day.... with long stretches of time in between viewings.
Atria35

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:46 pm

Watched Toy Story 3 for probably the 5th time :/
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”-Oscar Wilde

“Books change us. Books save us. I know this because it happened to me.”Elif Shafak

"Don't stop unbelieving, never give into your unfeelings"-Mabel Pines, Gravity Falls
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:31 am

The Shawshank Redemption. I really liked it, though it is rated R for a reason, that's for sure :/ Very intense, very moving, very well done. Morgan Freeman made an awesome Red, and I liked the little things they changed from the book. A great adaptation.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:58 am

Space Battleship Yamato: No, I couldn't understand half of what they were saying. Unsurprisingly, the vocabulary used in a sci-fi action film set in the distant future is very different from that used in everyday life.

That didn't stop it from being an entertaining, action-packed thrill ride with some AMAZING special effects. And it certainly helped that their leading man (Kimura Takuya) was... pirty... *swoons* I normally laugh at Japanese guys with perfectly coiffed hair, but... the coiffing was just so perfect...

The Prince of Persia: Yes, it was stupid, predictable, and inplausible, and casting blue-eyed Jake Gyllenhaal as a supposed Persian street-rat-turned-prince is kind of a racial travesty. But darnit, I enjoyed it anyway! I probably won't ever watch it again, but it was enjoyable. It was worth it just for the ostrich races. I've never seen anything so legitimately and independently hilarious in a big-budget film.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby bakura91 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:47 pm

Ive been watching alot of great Old movies on Internet archive lately!

White Zombie (1930s Bela Lugosi horror classic)

The Intruder (1962 Roger Corman film with William Shatner, a really good drama about racism in a southern town)

I also just watched Resident Evil: After life ( I'm not that familiar with the games but Ive seen all the movies, They are guilty pleasures they're not Romero Zombie movies and the Characters are pretty poorly written but I enjoy watching this series because they're fun stupid fun but still fun. Explosions, Matrix-ish kung fu and Zombie creatures.)

and Today I rewatched one of my FAVORITE 1980s teen comedies Better of Dead
bakura91

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment