What Movies are you Watching?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Maokun » Sat May 07, 2011 10:39 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1474759) wrote:Suckerpunch

Enjoyable movie, if at times disturbing due to the themes of dealing with abuse. A complex combination of psychological thriller/drama with anime-inspired fantasy/action/adventure. Good story (but the script a bit messy at times), minimal character development, decent to poor acting, great soundtrack too but the music is a bit too loud at times. Definitely style over substance but there was still much more to the movie than just kick-butt girls with guns and swords. The movie was about empowerment in horrible circumstances. Reminiscent in part to Inception, The Matrix and Shutter Island and a host of movies, books and comics but could've been more thought-provoking than it was. Recommended for older teens and adults - moderate violence and moderate themes. 7/10 or 7.5/10

Excellent review. Since I'm a sucker for high production values and well-made anime/gaming moments translated to live action, I' give it 8.0
Maokun

Postby Riggidig » Fri May 13, 2011 3:51 pm

Watched Mr Bean's Holiday two nights ago. Dunno, but I didn't find it THAT funny. Still laugh at the old tv show though. Maybe Bean just doesn't translate that well to film. Also watched the Pink Panther 2 (the one with Steve Martin). Found it MUCH better than the first one (which I found absolutely horrendous and didn't laugh except for the HAMBUAARGAAURR part). Actually laughed out loud at some parts.
[color="Yellow"]My deviantART Gallery[/color]

[color="DarkOrange"][font="Century Gothic"]"Life is not about NOT getting hit. It's about learning to TAKE a hit, rolling with the punches, and at its worst, learning to get up after a knockout.[/font][/color]
Riggidig

Postby ich1990 » Fri May 13, 2011 7:23 pm

The Fifth Element

While it often gets placed in the sci-fi movie hall of fame next to Blade Runner, Star Wars, The Matrix, and Alien, I don't think it really belongs there. Rather, I think it has much more in common with 80's and 90's action movies than the sci-fi cannon.

That being said, it was a pretty darn fun movie (simple and amusing) and the opera scene was amazing.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Fri May 13, 2011 9:51 pm

Watched

Superman Doomsday : Pretty decent animated action film

Justice league: New frontier: Which was actually really impressive, i enjoyed it alot.
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Masquerade1412 » Sat May 14, 2011 8:39 am

Soon I shall be watching "Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express"!
(...it happened to be in the library...)
Masquerade1412

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sun May 15, 2011 10:36 am

Watched Green Hornet last night and it was ......okay.

GrubbTheFragger

Postby MomentOfInertia » Mon May 16, 2011 5:55 pm

A bit of a movie binge over my break between spring and summer semesters.

Megamind was very entertaining, its not a cinematic masterpiece, and some of the plot elements are cliched, but like they said in the movie "what's the difference between a villain and a super villain" "PRESENTATION!"
Megamind has presentation, rather amusing presentation.

Green Hornet was an... okay movie. the action and gadgets were cool, the dialog was stupid, and the lead cursed simply for the sake of cursing. the recent Iron Man movies manged to portray a rich playboy character without being so ... crude, I wish Green Hornet could have done the same.

The Tourist was okay, I don't really have anything to say about it.

Howl's Moving Castle
was very pretty with an interesting world that didn't really get fleshed out enough in my opinion. the plot was some kind of a romance thing not really my bag but, its not bad. the ending was seemed kind of quick however, I did wind up watching the ending separate from the rest of the movie. Very pretty, I liked Calcifer.(s?)

And now for contrast:

Alien

Very tense, I sat on my nitpicks of the tech/procedures (hundreds of lights and switches none of them labeled AT ALL grrrr at least ST:NG pretended there was some sort of text on all those controls {and don't get me started on the bad plans/procedures}) until the credits rolled. and now I have seen it.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Mon May 16, 2011 8:38 pm

So my family went on something of a movie rental binge this weekend. @_@ I saw everything, but most weren't viewed by everyone.

Megamind--Excellent. The main character is hilarious and likeable. The love story between him and Roxanne tickled my fancy. And the final battle between Megamind and his new foe was great.
[spoiler]Megamind: "I'm a super-villain, and you're just a badguy!"
Enemy: "What's the difference?"
Megamind:[SIZE="7"]"PRESENTATION!!"[/SIZE][/spoiler]I would love to watch it again, and I think it would be cool if they made a good sequel. 4.5/5.

The Green Hornet--Eh. I think I've found the limit of coarse language/humor I can stand in a movie. Rudeness aside, it was an okay action movie. I really did not like the main character, though: he was a jerk. And his nameless sidekick was cooler. 3/5. Someone else could probably watch this movie and enjoy it plenty, though.

Tangled--Yes, I finally saw this movie. I was told I'd laugh and cry. And I laughed. It was good. But the tearjerker moment (or at least, what I think was supposed to be the tearjerker moment) was ruined because... [spoiler]...all I could think was, "They can't kill him, this is a family movie and they just don't do that." And... Lo and behold.

Also, I'm not too happy with the writers making her tears have the same healing powers as her hair. I mean, there was no foreshadowing--it was completely random, and it cheapened Flynn/Eugene's sacrifice. [/spoiler] However, I definitely enjoyed the movie. The scenes in the city--both the musical afternoon and the lantern scene that evening--were beautiful. I give it a 4/5.

Howl's Moving Castle--I never read the book, so any straying from the original didn't bother me. XD I liked this movie, and it was completely different from all the others we rented. XD I liked the animation and minor characters (like Calcifer and the turnip-scarecrow). I was rather confused about the ending though, and the war going on in the background didn't make much sense. I give it a 4/5, though some of that's probably the fun of watching an anime movie for a change. ^^;

The Tourist--Alright, I guess. There wasn't anything particularly bad in it, it was just slow. And the big reveal was kinda... lacking. I saw it coming, and it just seemed to pull things together too well. 3/5. I enjoyed it more than I did The Green Hornet, though.

The Princess Bride--Yes, I finally watched it. Not exactly a comedy like I was led to believe... it's hard to describe. A tongue-in-cheek fairytale? Anyway, I liked it well enough, and my sister loved it. The bishop cracked me up. And finally I know what everyone's talking about when they go "My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." Though I'm not sure why people say that... >_>; Fun movie. I give it a 4/5.

Moulin Rouge!--Do not watch with children. The first forty minutes or so have the most.. content, I think. The rest definitely isn't 'clean', though. Moving on, I loved the song "Come What May". And the ending was sad.
[spoiler]Amusingly, what ran through my head was "Wait--this is an adult movie! They CAN kill people here, and they'll stay dead!"[/spoiler] I think this was my first depressing 'chick flick', and... I have no idea what to make of it. It wasn't horrible, but it didn't blow my mind. Rating n/a.

Alien--Dad said since I've never seen a horror film I had to see this and get scared. He said I'd be up all night. Well, I wasn't. I guess I'm not a horror fan, because half the movie I spent frustrated with the camera angles because I knew someday the alien was going to appear behind them and it kept not happening. XD It was a very, very tense movie, and I did enjoy it. It was just over-hyped for me, I think. 3.5/5

Favorite of the bunch was Megamind, followed by Tangled and Howl's Moving Castle. Least favorite was The Green Hornet.

...We are never renting that many movies at once ever again. :eh:
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Cognitive Gear » Mon May 16, 2011 8:45 pm

A Fish Called Wanda

I had no idea what to expect when I went into this movie, so I was more than pleasantly surprised when John Cleese was the first person to show up in the movie. At this point, I wondered why on earth I had never heard of the movie. Overall, it was a lot of fun.
Cognitive Gear

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Wed May 18, 2011 2:34 pm

Girlie-girl and I are marathoning the first three Pirates of the Caribbean movies over three nonconsecutive evenings this week (Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday - I know, it technically couldn't be called a marathon if it's nonconsecutive) so we can go see the new one in the theater.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Scarecrow » Wed May 18, 2011 3:33 pm

Inception... it was alright. Totally overrated though. Definitely can't believe people were **** this didn't win best picture. Lol... it was good but nothing mind blowing.

The Social Network... Loved this movie! I don't care how accurate the movie was to real life, the movie itself was great :D Could have easily been a boring film but the way it was filmed and edited together and then the music and stuff... it was good. I've always liked these kinds of films though. There was backstabbing, deception, jealousy, dry humor, and it was all pretty slick. Kind of reminded of one of those old films where the characters talk all quick and slick beyond what is possible in real life and it worked here. I'd watch it again.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed May 18, 2011 4:10 pm

Scarecrow (post: 1479867) wrote:Inception... it was alright. Totally overrated though. Definitely can't believe people were **** this didn't win best picture. Lol... it was good but nothing mind blowing.

The Social Network... Loved this movie! I don't care how accurate the movie was to real life, the movie itself was great :D Could have easily been a boring film but the way it was filmed and edited together and then the music and stuff... it was good. I've always liked these kinds of films though. There was backstabbing, deception, jealousy, dry humor, and it was all pretty slick. Kind of reminded of one of those old films where the characters talk all quick and slick beyond what is possible in real life and it worked here. I'd watch it again.

XD The only reason Inception was even nominated for Best Picture is because of the fact that they have 10 nominees now. XD It was never going to win, and even though I think it's a great movie, it's definitely not Best Picture material. XD

Glad to hear you liked The Social Network though! I hear so many people criticize that movie for being "too boring" or "lol a movie about facebook??!" but it's really quite well-written and well-acted, and really relevant to our culture. XD I loved it, anyways, so I'm always glad to hear people praise it. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Ante Bellum » Sat May 21, 2011 9:03 pm

Just watched Dr. Strangelove. (Look, I'm going to break up your recent movies with an old one!)
I thought it was great, and Peter Sellers does an excellent job with his different roles. Unfortunately, I borrowed it from my school library, so I have to return it.
Ante Bellum

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Sun May 22, 2011 10:51 am

Theater of Blood: Vincent Price is an aging Shakespearian actor murdering the critics he feels unjustly slighted him. True silliness. :)
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun May 22, 2011 11:03 am

ich1990 (post: 1478869) wrote:The Fifth Element

While it often gets placed in the sci-fi movie hall of fame next to Blade Runner, Star Wars, The Matrix, and Alien, I don't think it really belongs there. Rather, I think it has much more in common with 80's and 90's action movies than the sci-fi cannon.

That being said, it was a pretty darn fun movie (simple and amusing) and the opera scene was amazing.

That's one of my favorite movies. It really has a strong 1990s flavor though so I wouldn't place it next to Blade Runner or Alien. Not to mention it's a good deal lighter in tone than most of those movies you mentioned (except maybe the first Star Wars movie, which was surprisingly light in tone despite all the bad stuff that goes down in it).

Oh, uh, I saw Thor. It was fun. I liked the actor who played Loki. However it is the LOUDEST movie I have ever seen in my life. Seriously, I spent half of it with my fingers in my ears.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby bigsleepj » Sun May 22, 2011 1:02 pm

Blitzkrieg1701 (post: 1480504) wrote:Theater of Blood: Vincent Price is an aging Shakespearian actor murdering the critics he feels unjustly slighted him. True silliness. :)

Ah, you forgot the gimmick - each ironic murder is based on a death from a play of Shakespeare. I saw the movie in highschool on TV, coming across it by accident 20 minutes into it, and rather liked it, though I was not sure if I should have taken it seriously. I haven't seen it since, but I suspect it was meant to be slightly tongue-in-the-cheek.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Tue May 24, 2011 2:39 pm

Blitzkrieg1701 (post: 1480504) wrote:Theater of Blood: Vincent Price is an aging Shakespearian actor murdering the critics he feels unjustly slighted him. True silliness. :)

I might just have to see this hmm but anyways watched

Paranormal Activity 2 the other night and it was really very well done. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Cognitive Gear » Tue May 24, 2011 3:17 pm

The New World- What a great movie. I went in expecting a live action Pocahontas movie with some poeticism thrown in, but I got something entirely different. Watch it.
Cognitive Gear

Postby bigsleepj » Wed May 25, 2011 9:48 am

Cognitive Gear (post: 1480949) wrote:The New World- What a great movie. I went in expecting a live action Pocahontas movie with some poeticism thrown in, but I got something entirely different. Watch it.

I always wanted to see it, but I have a slight aversion for all things Terrence Malick since I saw 'The Thin Red Line' and hated it completely and utterly [here was a rant but I cut it out].

I suppose I should try something else by him, though, like The New World and Tree of Life, or something like Badlands and / or Days of Heaven, but on the whole, but in the 12 years since I saw TRL I was never tempted to revisit it.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

bigsleepj

Postby Cognitive Gear » Wed May 25, 2011 11:02 am

bigsleepj (post: 1481101) wrote:I always wanted to see it, but I have a slight aversion for all things Terrence Malick since I saw 'The Thin Red Line' and hated it completely and utterly [here was a rant but I cut it out].

I suppose I should try something else by him, though, like The New World and Tree of Life, or something like Badlands and / or Days of Heaven, but on the whole, but in the 12 years since I saw TRL I was never tempted to revisit it.

Yeah, Malick's style is very divisive. I personally love it, and can't seem to get enough of it. I will say that it is less prevalent in his earlier works, and gradually gets more extreme. If you do give him another chance, I'd recommend that you go for Badlands and see how that works out for you.

Though, incidentally I didn't like Badlands that much when I first saw it. It wasn't until months later that something clicked and I suddenly desired to watch the rest of his films.
Cognitive Gear

Postby bigsleepj » Wed May 25, 2011 11:23 am

Cognitive Gear (post: 1481113) wrote:Yeah, Malick's style is very divisive.

I've watched films by Tarkovsky, Dreyer and Bresson, whose style can be very divisive as well for similar reasons (a friend I know says that Malick is an 'American Tarkovsky'). Its just that something about 'Thin Red Line' did not click with me. The movie was beautifully filmed, and that was it. I was particularly unimpressed with some of its extended cameos by John Travolta and George Clooney, which got top billing but was barely in the movie. In the end, I suppose, I stopped caring about what was going on in the movie, which seldom happens to me, so that might explain my extreme reaction to it.

I saw that the original cut for the film was 6 hours and was trimmed down to less than three, so maybe something was lost.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA

bigsleepj

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Wed May 25, 2011 7:59 pm

So, the new Pirates move was . . . interesting. It's okay, really. Not as somber and dark as the third one, but it's definitely not the same good, fun stuff as it used to be. Go ahead and see it if you're already a fan of the series, but if not, save your cash and you won't have missed out on much.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Cognitive Gear » Wed May 25, 2011 11:47 pm

Pirate of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides- *Yawn*
Cognitive Gear

Postby Okami » Fri May 27, 2011 9:24 am

I also saw On Stranger Tides yesterday. I quite enjoyed it, with the exception of the missionary, who quite saddened me. But the rest of it was fun, which I expect out of Pirates. :]
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Darth_Kirby » Fri May 27, 2011 9:49 pm

I watched Kong Fu Panda 2 and I suprisingly like it better than the first! lol
Join the Darth side... No really! Join! The pension plan is great and they match all your 401K's!! XD

[color="Cyan"]True freedom is the ability to do what you know is right without fear of persecution.[/color]

[color="Lime"]I finally understand that justice is not born out of the desire for revenge or hatred, but it is born out of love for one’s fellow man.[/color]

Darth_Kirby (post: 1481540) wrote:Ah, the beast of terminology... how many more arguments will you start... XP
Darth_Kirby

Postby mkalv » Sat May 28, 2011 7:27 am

Last night, I went on a movie spree:

Halo Legends (It was like Batman: Gotham Knight)
The Cronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Threader (Not as good as Prince Caspian, IMO, but a fun film)
Percy Jackson and the Olympions: The Lightning Thief

Later I will be watching A View to a Kill.
No pain, no gain. I would prefer no pain, but still gain.
mkalv

Postby Wolf-man » Sat May 28, 2011 9:33 am

Recently I watched a few theater movies, starting my summer blockbuster watching.

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides -
This was really good. A lot better than I was expecting. I wasn't sure how it was going to be cutting two main characters out of it but the movie was better for it. It was nice to see a Jack centered movie again.

Thor -
I don't know how to begin on how awesome this movie was. It was so fantastic and an amazing start to the summer heroes. The casting was awesome, the effects (both special and visual) were breathtaking, and the action was, as to be expected from a superhero movie, amazing. Lets hope Green Lantern and Captain America can live up to this.

Unknown -
This is a bit of an older film. Came out back in February but my local old fashioned theater shows movies that have been out of the main theaters for a while. Anyway, this movie was pretty good. It wasn't original by any means but it was still enjoyable. The cast really helped it. Liam Neeson is always awesome. Good action and a fun cliche plot made it pretty good.
Wolf-man

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sat May 28, 2011 9:22 pm

Watched the french horror film Inside tonight and wow one violent tense and unforgettable experience. I will NEVER recommend it to anyone however due to the entire idea of it (not demonic or sexual just dark and twisted) and the gore it makes Hostel look tame.

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Atria35 » Sun May 29, 2011 5:19 am

The Trouble with Angels
Scooby-Doo
Mulan
Atria35

Postby Scarecrow » Sun May 29, 2011 12:14 pm

Raise the Red Lantern... it was well made and there were things I liked about it but I can't say I'd watch it again. It wasn't my favorite movie that's for sure. It was interesting though. Kind of a weird thing they had going on but I guess that's China. I thought filming was very good as was the storytelling (nothing felt wasted or anything). But the movie just didn't interest me much. And I thought the lead character was quite unlikable and I couldn't really sympathize with anyone.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment