What Movies are you Watching?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:34 pm

I watched Being John Malkovich last night. Weeeeird movie.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Ante Bellum » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:17 pm

Just finished Paths of Glory in class today. I don't have much to say about it, but I really liked it and I want to watch some of Kubrick's other movies now.
Ante Bellum

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:55 pm

Ante Bellum (post: 1463232) wrote:Just finished Paths of Glory in class today. I don't have much to say about it, but I really liked it and I want to watch some of Kubrick's other movies now.

Kubrick was one of the most interesting directors. I highly recommend The shining and maybe even 2001: A space oddyssy granted that one is pretty boring. I can not recommend A clockwork Orange or Eyes Wide Shut *shudders*

Anyways I watched Resident evil Afterlife and it was a trainwreck
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby ich1990 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:41 pm

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Like a lot of action movies: cool and entertaining, but not really that great.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:10 pm

How to Train Your Dragon: Congratulations, Dreamworks. You made an incredibly intelligent move in picking up Dean DeBlois and Chris Sanders when Disney made a colossal mistake by losing them. The end result was the best movie you have ever made, and I hope to see more movies like this.

Stay on this path and you might be on your way to offering Pixar some real competition at the Oscars.

GrubbTheFragger (post: 1463430) wrote:Kubrick was one of the most interesting directors. I highly recommend The shining and maybe even 2001: A space oddyssy granted that one is pretty boring. I can not recommend A clockwork Orange or Eyes Wide Shut *shudders*

Yeah, as much as I admire the astounding storytelling and film making that went into every aspect of A Clockwork Orange, I never recommend it to anyone. It was easily the most disturbing movie I have ever seen, as it places the utter depravity of some men on screen for you to see.

I was fine watching it once, since it was all done without glamorizing any of it. I don't think I will ever watch it again, though.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:46 pm

Recently watched: (I've been mostly on a Van Damme kick lately)

Bloodsport - Enjoyable

Timecop - Fun

Black Mask - Entertaining

Bloodsport 4 - OK

Kickboxer - Cliched, but fun

Kickboxer 2 - Horrible, crappy sequel

Snakes On A Plane - Epic. Gruesome. Better than I expected. My only real complaint was the CG on the snakes could have been WAY better.

The Legionnaire - Good

Hard Target - Van Damme as protagonist. Lance Henrikson as villain. John Woo directed. Very fun.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Atria35 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:04 am

Rush Hour- Jackie Chan! Yay!

Scooby-Doo- the live-action. Cheesy fun.
Atria35

Postby Sheenar » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:28 am

On Saturday night, my roomie and I watched "Repo: The Genetic Opera" --whoa, that was nuts, but awesome.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby TWWK » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:47 am

Just watched Amazing Grace - very inspiring and a pretty good film, too! I also watched Megamind - HILARIOUS. I loved it. :)
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby Cognitive Gear » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:58 pm

Tangled: What a fantastic movie. Much like Beauty and the Beast, it pretty much bears little to no resemblance to the fairy tale it's based on, but it's absolutely to it's own advantage.

I also should comment that the fluidity and natural abstraction they created with the animation blew every other animated movie from 2010 away. The floating lantern sequence is possibly among the greatest ever animated. A fine use of the medium, and it's almost criminal that this movie hasn't received any awards.

Disney had better keep Glen Keane around, that's for sure.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Atria35 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:34 pm

My Big Fat Greek Wedding- definitely one of the better 'transformation' movies I've seen, simply because she's not Hollywood Homely- she's honest-to-goodness a normal-looking woman. Yay for indie films! And it's hilarious- I can sympathize to an extent. When I'm with one side of the family.... "when are you going to get a boyfriend?" "why are you going into that field? Be a teacher!" "so when are we getting cousings/great-gandkids/whatever their relation is"

Oh, yes. Good times.
Atria35

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:54 pm

Atria, I agree. My Big Fat Greek Wedding is a very enjoyable movie. It's almost European or Aussie in feel. It's rated G here. What's the movie rated in the US?
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Atria35 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:24 am

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1464646) wrote:Atria, I agree. My Big Fat Greek Wedding is a very enjoyable movie. It's almost European or Aussie in feel. It's rated G here. What's the movie rated in the US?

PG. I think I like that rating- it's definitely more of a family film.

Slightly moreso than her other movie, My Life In Ruins.
Atria35

Postby Cognitive Gear » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:36 am

Exit Through the Gift Shop: This was really awesome. It was not at all what I expected, and it did a great job both at recording some of the street art culture and at getting the viewer to ask "what is art?" I honestly wonder if part of the documentary was staged by Banksy himself, but that makes it all the more interesting.
Cognitive Gear

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:19 am

Superman/Shaazam : Return of Black Atom. A really good animated short.
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby ST. Attidude » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:58 pm

Just saw The Social Network tonight.

And it was very amusing.
ST. Attidude

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:34 am

I started watching Sense and Sensibility (the Emma Thompson version) with my little sisters (I've seen it several times before).
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Atria35 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:12 pm

The Prestige- .....woah. Just... simply amazing. I don't even know what to say, other than this was mind-bending, intriguing, eye-opening. Deciet and lies and double-agents. Fabulous.
Atria35

Postby CrystalChalice » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:30 am

Red Riding Hood - saw this with my friends today. Except for some certain scenes, it was an OK movie.
Whatever the season in life, the RIGHT attitude makes all the difference.

"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth."
Psalm 121:1-2

"Though our paths may have diverged, you must continue to live out your life with all your might; you must never consider your own life to be something insignificant, and you must never forget about the friends whom you loved for as long as you live."
The Third Rule of Fairy Tail

"Mistakes are not shackles that halt one from stepping forward. Rather, they are that which sustain and grow one's heart.
Mavis Vermilion, Fairy Tail

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.
Avatar Aang, The Legend of Korra
CrystalChalice

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:47 pm

Atria35 (post: 1466087) wrote:The Prestige- .....woah. Just... simply amazing. I don't even know what to say, other than this was mind-bending, intriguing, eye-opening. Deciet and lies and double-agents. Fabulous.

One of my favorite movies ever. XD Glad you liked it!

Saw The Adjustment Bureau the other day! A good movie, but I was expecting more science fiction elements, and I didn't feel terribly attached to the characters. I didn't love it as much as I thought I would, but it wasn't bad.

Also, watched HappyThankYouMorePlease a few weeks ago, and LOVED it. I recommend it to pretty much anyone looking for the feel-good movie of the year]Uncertainty[/i] a few weeks ago, which is an indie film starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt. It had a really intriguing concept, and I rather enjoyed it!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:52 pm

Finished up Sense and Sensibility - wonderful as always; no matter how many times I've seen it, I always marvel at Emma Thompson's acting in the climax.

And I finally saw Despicable Me! KYAAAAAA, I loved it so much! :hug: Soooo funny, and surprisingly adorable too. I loved the minions from the moment I saw them, though there was some crude humor I didn't appreciate so much.

What amazed me the most was that even though I could tell basically from the moment the three girls came on screen how the story was going to play out, it didn't detract at all from my enjoyment of the story. It was that perfect blend of something somewhat predictable being treated in the best possible way, which I've noticed in quite a few of my favorite children's movies. And I was a little surprised at myself, but I actually cried at the ending! I knew what was coming...but something, I guess my mother-instinct or whatever, rose up inside me and made the tears gush out.

Great movie, about as good as the worst Pixar movies. (That was a compliment, by the way.)
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Atria35 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Saw in the Omnimax at the Mus. of Science and Industry- Tornado Alley. Awesomely cool movie. Documentary. Docudrama. Whatever. Fabulous.
Atria35

Postby Ante Bellum » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:09 pm

Currently watching 12 Angry Men because a friend recommended it to me. I like it so far, although sometimes I have a hard time understanding some of the lines. ^_^;
Ante Bellum

Postby ich1990 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:27 pm

Tangled

It was a very fun, light hearted, and all around good movie. Very much worth the viewing time.
ich1990

Postby Psycho Molos » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:47 pm

Saw Suckerpunch today....EEEEPPPPIIIIICCC
[color="Cyan"]Oh MOES! It's Czadek peddling the Black Pill for the Merv! Dark Evolution[/color]

Ich hasst Mein lieben.....
Psycho Molos

Postby Tarnish » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:00 pm

My personal favorite movies, Phantom of the Paradise, Reservoir Dogs and Barton Fink. All of which I could watch every single day for the rest of my life and count the time well spent.

Naturally, the friends and family I decided to share them with all considered these movies gigantic pieces of crap.
Tarnish

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:14 pm

Watched Chicken Little with my youngest sister today. The pacing felt odd and rambling, though that might have been because I'd already seen the last twenty minutes or so a couple days ago. XD So, it was an okay movie. Not as good as Despicable Me, but better than those Ice Age sequels, I think. @_@ Actually a lot of things are better than those... especially if your sister has played them a thousand times... >_<

[spoiler]In Chicken Little, I cracked up again at, "I would just like to say I have always found you extremely attractive! *smooch*" XD[/spoiler]
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Scarecrow » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:35 pm

Finally got to see Black Swan last night. I had been wanting to see that since the first trailer was released. I really liked it. Can't say it's a movie I'd buy or anything like that but it was really good. It was quite intense... I mean, I knew all the crazy stuff was in her mind but it was still intense... It did a good job of getting you into someone's mind who's falling apart mentally and desperately needs medical help. The whole movie reminded me of that scene from Batman Returns where Selina goes from meek and weak, to freaking out and smashing all her stuff after she just snaps. But here we get to see her mentally deteriorate. You understand how much pressure she puts herself under and then all the crazy stuff that she imagines gives the audience a little taste of how messed up she is and how she's just totally cracking up inside. And I loved the symbolism in the film too... the whole ending I thought was great.

I know a lot of people have had a hard time understanding what's going on but I find that if you watch the movie already knowing that Nina is cracking up in her mind and some things are imagined and you look for those clues early on, it becomes quite easy to differentiate between what's real and what's in her head. I don't know a lot of people said they had a hard time telling the difference but I didn't think it was all that cryptic. Sure while I was watching it, I didn't know right then there but you figure it out.

Anyway, yes, I really liked it. Not something I'd buy or anything and there was quite a bit of inappropriate content but it is a beautifully done movie IMO. It was also the first time I thought the trailer actually did a good job giving you a taste of what the movie is like without spoiling anything.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby ich1990 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:23 pm

The Tingler

Fantastic old black and white horror movie. The whole time I was watching it I was wishing I could have seen it in theaters, back when they doctored the chairs to give the audience an electrical jolt at the climax of the movie. "Scream, scream for your lives!"

Without that whole theatrical experience it is a bit silly and inconclusive, but still charming.
ich1990

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:33 pm

[quote="Ante Bellum (post: 1467639)"]Currently watching 12 Angry Men because a friend recommended it to me. I like it so far, although sometimes I have a hard time understanding some of the lines. ^_^]

I love that movie! :thumb:

I watched Toy Story 3 and Despicable Me with a friend who hadn't seen them yet. Ahhhh, good children's movies.... ^_^

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment