What Movies are you Watching?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:17 pm

Okay, so right now I'm watching that old Lord of the Rings movie - you know, the animated one? :lol: :lol: :lol: I haven't laughed this much for a movie in years. XD Cool rotoscoping, but it turns one of the greatest fantasies of all time into something really dumb. I got to the first scene with the Black Rider sniffing after the Hobbits, and I was cracking up the whole way through! (Especially because the Rider looked like he was limping on a different foot depending on which way he's facing.) And then there's Saruman the White-who-wears-red-for-some-reason, and the Blade That Was Broken (but only at the tip), and Boromir the Oversized Dwarf Viking. But the scene that got my whole family cracking up the most was in Moria, I think, where Gandalf says, "Yes, the arm of Sauron has grown long indeed," and then he stretches out his arm! :lol: :lol: :lol: :dizzy:

*gasps for breath* Okay, I'm done now.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:29 pm

Sheol777 (post: 1441634) wrote::thumbsdow
:eyebrow:
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:18 pm

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1442821) wrote:Okay, so right now I'm watching that old Lord of the Rings movie - you know, the animated one? :lol: :lol: :lol: I haven't laughed this much for a movie in years. XD Cool rotoscoping, but it turns one of the greatest fantasies of all time into something really dumb. I got to the first scene with the Black Rider sniffing after the Hobbits, and I was cracking up the whole way through! (Especially because the Rider looked like he was limping on a different foot depending on which way he's facing.) And then there's Saruman the White-who-wears-red-for-some-reason, and the Blade That Was Broken (but only at the tip), and Boromir the Oversized Dwarf Viking. But the scene that got my whole family cracking up the most was in Moria, I think, where Gandalf says, "Yes, the arm of Sauron has grown long indeed," and then he stretches out his arm! :lol: :lol: :lol: :dizzy:

*gasps for breath* Okay, I'm done now.
Isn't Galadriel blue or something?
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:38 pm

Just saw Inception last night. I loved it.

It was very different from any other action movie I've seen recently, and I liked that. Also, the female characters were not just romantic interests for the guys, but actually had a larger role. Ariadne was there for lots of the action and played a part in it. The concept was interesting. To me at least, so was Cobb's backstory.

So yeah, I liked it a lot. ^^
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:56 pm

Also, I watched Rebel Without A Cause, which was pretty good, even if the teacher spoiled the end.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:14 pm

Watched Defendor this evening! I really enjoyed it; it was really well done, and Woody Harrelson is a fantastic actor!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby GeneD » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:53 am

Had a Robert Downey Jr overload last night with Iron Man 2 and Sherlock Holmes. It was actually really nice to watch the same actor playing characters that could have come across as the same, but I think he did a very good job with both. At no point did the characters overshadow each other or the actor either of the characters.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Ally-Ann » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:39 am

Just watched Home Alone 2 last night, and tomorrow I'm going to go see The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dreader.
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

I question my [color="DarkOrchid"]sanity[/color]. (._.)

Operation: Blackout
Ally-Ann

Postby Tamachan319 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:35 am

I went to Voyage of the Dawn Treader, and I found its unfaithfulness to the book quite sad. *weeps*
[font="Comic Sans MS"]"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me."
-C. S. Lewis[/font]
"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."
According to EllaEdric, my real name is.... "TAMAMAMAMAAMMAAM".

[font="Courier New"]
I love my flute![/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tamachan319

Location: Someplace, somewhere. I'm specific about these things, you see.

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:21 pm

Tamachan319 (post: 1443242) wrote:I went to Voyage of the Dawn Treader, and I found its unfaithfulness to the book quite sad. *weeps*
Oh? Do elaborate.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:51 pm

Tamachan319 (post: 1443242) wrote:I went to Voyage of the Dawn Treader, and I found its unfaithfulness to the book quite sad. *weeps*
Haven't seen the movie but, I have heard this as well. Sad day, though I thought the quality of the series might dip when Disney dumped it. In fairness, however, I don't think anyone expected a production totally different from the book.

I read somewhere that the only things that the book and movie have in common is this one three-line speech by Aslan. That's it.

Also: Supposedly lots of cost-cutting measures were taken w/ the film and it showed.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby ich1990 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:24 pm

Memento

Yet again, Nolan proves why he is my favorite film maker. Nolan's greatest skill has always been his ability to produce perfect plots and story lines that tick along like a well-ordered machine--every part carefully selected and every variable carefully thought out. This film takes that skill and gambles the house on it. He wins the gamble of course.

For those who don't know, Memento is a film about a man trying to seek revenge for the murder of his wife. The thing is, the man lost his ability to recall short term memories at the time of his wife's murder. In order to simulate this, the film is cut into pieces and most are played in reverse chronological order. That is, we, the audience, are put into exactly the same situation as the main character is with his memory condition. This turns a somewhat interesting story into a riveting and high-suspense thriller.

Sadly, due to the nature of the film, it is pretty unlikely that the second viewing will be nearly as interesting. Still, it was more than worth seeing it once, both for the visceral excitement and also for its thought provoking musings on the nature of reality and memory. 10/10
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Watched the rest of Dad's handful of rented movies (which included the already mentioned Inception) over the weekend. Dad, Mom, and my brother watched Knight and Day, The Expendables, and The Sorcerer's Apprentice.

Somehow I was surprised Knight and Day was a comedy? XD It was kinda funny. A fun enough movie, I suppose, but the ending was pretty dumb, I think. A small town girl can totally fool the FBI for hours. Riiiiight.

With The Expendables I was expecting just a bunch of shooting and punching and all that stuff. But it looks like the writers tried to make a statement (about belief in general, I think) but it was badly done. It was this pretty pointless addition that was just messy. :/

The Sorcerer's Apprentice was better than I expected. It was funny and I thought Nick Cage's character looked cool. XD But I didn't really like the ending; I think the 'hey let's go to Paris--RIGHT NOW!!' was really overdoing it. I think there was something else before that that bothered me, but I've forgotten. XD

FllMtl Novelist

Postby Atria35 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:41 pm

How The Grinch Stole Christmas (live action)- I know that this movie gets a lot of bashing, but I think it has some great moments and it rather fun.
Atria35

Postby GeneD » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:06 pm

Watched Scott Pilgrim vs the World tonight and it was pretty awesome; the first movie in a long time that was interesting enough to not warrant a running commentary.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Kaori » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:49 am

Saw the live action movie Space Battleship Yamato in the theater when it came out (beginning of December). I wasn’t terribly impressed by it, although the friends with whom I went thought it was terrific. Adaption from the anime to live action was good, though—the ship looked great, and according to my friend who has seen the anime, the casting was spot-on.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Rusty Claymore » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:13 am

Despicable Me. I really enjoyed it. n.n/)
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:32 am

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1442863) wrote:Isn't Galadriel blue or something?

:lol: She is, kinda, at least in the Mirror of Galadriel scene. I think it's supposed to be the lighting, but she looks very weird. Eowyn is funny too, because all she does is stand there and stare dumbly with these big huge eyes. And Wormtongue has a goatee. And when they do cavalry charges, the loudest sound is the Orcs screaming, which makes it sound like Gandalf - or at least the horses - are screaming bloody murder XD Even with the lame Aragorn-Arwen romance scenes, I am so glad for the live-action movies.

I've tried watching Fantastic Mr. Fox again, and have discovered that I like it a bit better the second time through the beginning. The voices still really annoy me, but I also realized that a large part of the problem is that the faces don't show much emotion, so I can't connect with the characters. I did kind of squeal and leap out of my seat when I realized that I'd forgotten that Michael Gambon was in it, though :red:
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:06 pm

Watched Despicable me on Friday night, it was very good, uproariously funny in some scenes and the family stuff was nice too. also minions!

Last night we watched The A-team (the new one.) It was a very good action movie, lots of explosions, car chases, helicopter chases, and hardly any of the annoying messages/themes that made The Expendables so...meh.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Atria35 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:28 pm

Miracle on 34th Street- we watched the movie on tv and then in the afternoon we went to see the musical stage play yesterday afternoon :)
Atria35

Postby Cloud500 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:22 am

Wait Until Dark (1967)
Cloud500

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:35 am

Cloud500 (post: 1445501) wrote:Wait Until Dark (1967)

:O I love that movie! Way creepier than many horror movies, because it could actually happen.

I saw Toy Story 3! Wow, that was a really good sequel. I guess Pixar really can do no wrong. I laughed uproariously at some parts, like the tortilla part, and every scene with Ken :lol: And it also made it so easy to sympathize with toys' struggles and lives.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:36 pm

Watched the other guys last night, not a bad comedy
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Atria35 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:11 pm

Guardians of Ga'Hoole- this was a great movie in terms of content and story. My only complaint is that about every 5 seconds in the fighting they used slow-mo. Seriously killed some of my enjoyment right there. But still thought it was fantastic.

Sorcerer's Apprentice - not as good as Ga'Hoole. Fun, but not in the same ballpark.
Atria35

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:15 am

Atria35 (post: 1446321) wrote:Guardians of Ga'Hoole- this was a great movie in terms of content and story. My only complaint is that about every 5 seconds in the fighting they used slow-mo. Seriously killed some of my enjoyment right there. But still thought it was fantastic.

Sorcerer's Apprentice - not as good as Ga'Hoole. Fun, but not in the same ballpark.

Zach Snyder has a thing for slow mo i am a Huge fan but the slow mo can get grating after a while.

In typical christmas tradition i watched Muppet Christmas carol and How the Grinch stole Christmas (new one with Jim carrey)
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Atria35 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:19 pm

The King's Speech- OMGosh what a fabulous FABULOUS movie. Seriously guyz it was amazing.
Atria35

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:03 pm

I'm really glad to hear that, Atria! I'm looking forward to seeing that one when I can get to a bigger town that's showing it!

Anyways, I went to see True Grit tonight, and it was a seriously fantastic movie! Great dialogue, excellent cinematography, characters, and a good plot. XD I highly recommend!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:03 am

Since I posted last I've seen...

The 12 Monkeys. Very bizarre. I thought it was pretty neat, though. (My Dad picked it up at the movie rental place and was all, "Did you ever see this? You didn't see this?! This is one of my favorites you gotta watch it!!") After watching it, I spent the rest of my night turning things over in my head, trying to make sense of it all. XD

The A-Team. So much better than The Expendables. If you don't mind the usual language and violence of the genre, it's a great action movie. My little brother loved it. XD

Despicable Me. For lack of a better word, this was a 'cute' movie. It had warmth and all the stuff that could have been really sappy, but they didn't overdo it. It was very enjoyable. Not as good as Toy Story 3 and How To Train Your Dragon, but still good. (If only it hadn't come out the same year as the others...) One thing in particular that I love about this movie is that the minions mostly speak unintelligible words. Most of the comedy is unrepeatable. Which means my siblings canNOT quote, enunciate, correct each other, then quote again and again until I threaten violence. It's marvelous. So peaceful.

White Christmas. Yes, I watched it AGAIN. XD I still love it for all the Irving Berlin-iness. :D

FllMtl Novelist

Postby Atria35 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:27 pm

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1446598) wrote:Since I posted last I've seen...

The 12 Monkeys. Very bizarre. I thought it was pretty neat, though. (My Dad picked it up at the movie rental place and was all, "Did you ever see this? You didn't see this?! This is one of my favorites you gotta watch it!!") After watching it, I spent the rest of my night turning things over in my head, trying to make sense of it all. XD

Saw 12 Monkeys and the original old french movie, La Jetée, that it was based on. Both were quite good, though I think I preferred La Jetee.
Atria35

Postby ich1990 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:25 pm

From a long time ago:

Breakfast at Tiffany's

Strange movie. Better than your average chick flick, but highly random. Didn't tie together well at all.

From New Year's Day Party

Kung-fu Panda
First Blood
First Blood Part 2
Rambo III
Die Hard

Great evening.

From today:

Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Probably the worst of the three so far. There were lots of pretty visuals and a spot-on Eustace, but all the romance of exploration and sailing was removed in favor of a lame Tolkienesque plot. "Find the seven swords of magic and unlock their true power to defeat the Black Mist that threatens all of Narnia!". Kind of sad, because there was so much potential from the books. Oh well. Hopefully they made enough money to make the next.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment