What Movies are you Watching?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:02 pm

Cloud500 (post: 1429277) wrote:The General (1927)

Excellent movie. You should also try to watch Our Hospitality, which also has a hilarious train scene in it.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:22 pm

Atria35 (post: 1430677) wrote:Trick 'r Treat - a "short film anthology" of sorts, with what's essentially four different scary stories coalescing into one long film. Each of the stories, while very different and individual, still have ties to eachother, some of which aren't apparent until the end. All taking place on one Halloween night. And I have to say, they are all very, very good.

Huzzah! one of the best movies for halloween
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:52 pm

Finally saw Iron Man 2. Then I watched it again with directors commentary.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby ich1990 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:32 pm

TWWK (post: 1430699) wrote:I think you're selling the movie short. The Fugitive was certainly one of the best action-thriller movies of the '90s, if not the best. Smart, suspenseful, well-acted and full of great scenes and dialogue, I can't think of a better remake of a classic series. It got a number of Oscar nominations and won at least one (Tommy Lee Jones for Best Supporting Actor).

Actually, I don't see where we disagree. Unless, of course, you want to argue about the realism, which was terrible, or Ford's performance. Also, Tommy deserved that Oscar for sure. "I don't bargain."
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:03 pm

Let Sleeping Corpses Lie -a zombie movie, believe it or not.
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:26 pm

just finished watching The Exorcist. Definitely shows its age by now, but it's well done for the time, and effectively scary if you're willing to lose yourself in the experience, which I find helps a lot with the older movies.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby blkmage » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:28 pm

Watched the live-action movie adaptation of Solanin. In case you're unfamiliar with how I feel about the manga, here are some posts.

It is a spot-on adaptation and just as affecting as when I read it. The length and the story make it perfect for a live-action adaptation. The actors look pretty close to what their respective characters look like (helped by the fact that Asano Inio draws his people pretty realistically). It's quite possibly the only live-action version of an anime/manga that I'd be willing to take a chance on.
blkmage

Postby Davidizer13 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:00 pm

I watched Iron Man 2 and Warrior of the Lost World (MST3K version) this weekend.

IM2 was great - better than the original, even, much how fellow superhero movies Spider-Man 2 and The Dark Knight were able to take what made the first movies good and improve on them. Even on its own, it's a solid action movie: it's very well acted, it moves quick and it's fun to watch, there's plenty of explosions, and it's got Samuel L. Jackson wearing an eyepatch. It's well worth the watch.

Warrior of the Lost World, meanwhile, has none of that. It's an Italian sci-fi cheapie from the '80s that tries to channel Star Wars and Mad Max, but instead has an aggressively unlikeable jerk on an annoying talking supersonic motorcycle (supersonic nothin' - I've driven my '92 Protege faster than that guy ever drives his bike; plus, it looks like a cardboard frame over a pedal bike), all set in the cleanest, nicest post-apocalyptic world I've ever seen.

Anyway, he gets involved with a bunch of ragtag rebels trying to topple an emotion-crushing dictator or something. He leaves his shallow love interest behind in the bad guys' compound when they're trying to escape it, then beats up a bunch of the rebels (including Grace Jones' younger sister and guys with pantyhose on their heads) and becomes their spiritual leader. There's a car-to-car battle that lasts forever, and he fights Megaweapon, a giant spiky flame-throwing dump truck, and the bike gets crushed in the process (yaaaaaay). Then they storm the bad guy's castle, shoot a billion guards, redeem the brainwashed love interest, and kill the dictator. Roll muffled '80s synthesizer ballad, and cue an absolutely ridiculous deus ex machina "OR IS IT?!?!" ending. [SPOILER] The bad guy was actually a robot clone, and some rebel was on his side. None of this was foreshadowed at all.[/SPOILER]

tl;dr: It's a horrible, horrible movie, but it makes for a great MST3K episode - right up there with Space Mutiny and The Final Sacrifice, hitting the right mix of awful and hilarious.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:14 pm

Final Destination 2: *shrugs* it is not a good movie by any means just a guilty pleasure of mine

GrubbTheFragger

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:02 pm

I just saw Iron Man 2.

So awesome. :D
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:50 pm

So in Film as Lit we watched Hamlet(the one with David Tennant and Patrick Stewart). I liked it, and I would have liked it a lot more if I could understand what they were saying. I can understand British people and whatever age of English Shakespeare uses, but not together. The teacher would pause after every scene and explain what had happened, but it still would have been more enjoyable if I'd just normally understood it.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Cloud500 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:13 pm

How to Train Your Dragon

Now if only all of Dreamworks' animated films were like this...
Cloud500

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:33 pm

I'm gonna be watching The Boogens in a little bit. I'm in the mood for a good B-movie, and hopefully it'll do the trick.
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:28 am

watched Iron Man 2 yesterday.It was a good action film

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:17 am

Gone With the Wind is one of the worst movies I've seen in a long time.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby TWWK » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:27 am

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1432783) wrote:Gone With the Wind is one of the worst movies I've seen in a long time.

-_-'

Gone With the Wind might just be the best movie of all time...

Anyway, I rewatched The Untouchables (1987) yesterday with my wife, who generally doesn't like anything earlier than mid-90s. She was glued to it, which made me happy cause it's one of my favorites. I didn't remember how melodramatic it was, but I still enjoyed it a lot.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:24 pm

I finished watching The Magic of Ordinary Days with my mom. What a beautiful story, what a great romance! It's so refreshing to see a romance where looks and feelings play only a minor part, and it all comes down to what they're doing for each other. I thought the sister's acting was pretty awful, but other than that it was a great movie. One I would watch again for sure.

Now I'm re-watching The Last Samurai with my mom ^_^ It's so nice that every time I return to the movie that initially sparked my interest in Japanese culture, I can understand a teensy bit more of the language. And notice slight discrepancies in the subtitle translation.

I've also started watching Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire with my sisters, and am remembering why this is my least-favorite movie as well as book :shady:
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Wolf-man » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:40 pm

Just watched Phantasm. That was freaking insane. I still have no idea what exactly what happened. It was really good just crazy. I am excited to watch the sequels.
Wolf-man

Postby Atria35 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:46 am

How To Train Your Dragon came out on DVD, and my brother got it for me as an early Xmas present :) That's on my dvd player ATM.
Atria35

Postby ich1990 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:47 am

How to Train Your Dragon

Definitely worth the second watch. It is one of the few movies I can think of that totally butchered the source material and still ended up being pretty darn good.

Dr. Who (reboot) season 4

Another fine, fine season. Also, that finale was the craziest thing I think I have ever seen. The writers really outdid themselves on that one.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Adie » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:48 pm

Never Let Me Go. It made me cry.
Adie

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:38 pm

Secreteriat was kind of eh. I didn't complain about it because my family liked it and wanted to see it, but I thought it was pretty boring.

Maybe the reason I don't like sports movies is that while we generally know the good guys will win in the end, we don't know how they'll do it. When they have to win at a sport which has a specific way of winning, the end is obvious, they'll win by outplaying the other team.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:25 am

I finished watching The Last Samurai (gyaaaaa, I love that music! *huggles soundtrack*), and started Chariots of Fire, which is very interesting so far. Striking contrast between the two main characters.

I also watched Shiver/Escalofrio for Halloween-ness (does anyone else find it funny that Halloween falls on Reformation Sunday this year?). Unfortunately, I watched the English dub, which...leaves much to be desired, to put it mildly :shady: Could learn a thing or two from anime dubs.... I probably would've liked it even more if I watched it in the original Spanish, but even so it was really good, I thought. Precisely my kind of horror - rather than bloody zombies leaping out at you, it's the rustling of branches and the barely-seen movements of something in the shadows that makes my skin crawl. I also loved the mention of feral children, because I'm interested in them myself, and the scene where the thing is actually in the house was absolutely terrifying because I can imagine what that would be like.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Nami » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:42 am

RED

Oh man, that movie is so awesome, I saw it twice. So good, the action, the comedy and the romance. Oh man!! I was laughing so hard both times I went. I highly suggest it, the characters are lovable and totally believable.
[color="Red"][SIZE="3"]Swiftly Dissin' and never Missin'.
Yours Truly,
Sick of all the BSin'.[/SIZE][/color]
Nami

Location: Sitting in a tree, waiting for you. *sinister grin*

Postby Atria35 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:30 am

Scooby-Doo
Scooby Doo 2
Nghtmare Before Christmas
Saved!
Atria35

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:33 am

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1433757) wrote:I finished watching The Last Samurai (gyaaaaa, I love that music! *huggles soundtrack*), and started Chariots of Fire, which is very interesting so far. Striking contrast between the two main characters.

I also watched Shiver/Escalofrio for Halloween-ness (does anyone else find it funny that Halloween falls on Reformation Sunday this year?). Unfortunately, I watched the English dub, which...leaves much to be desired, to put it mildly :shady: Could learn a thing or two from anime dubs.... I probably would've liked it even more if I watched it in the original Spanish, but even so it was really good, I thought. Precisely my kind of horror - rather than bloody zombies leaping out at you, it's the rustling of branches and the barely-seen movements of something in the shadows that makes my skin crawl. I also loved the mention of feral children, because I'm interested in them myself, and the scene where the thing is actually in the house was absolutely terrifying because I can imagine what that would be like.

Glad to see you liked shiver, The dub ........yeaaaahhh i made sure to watch the spanish version XD.

Anyways i will be seeing Paranormal activity 2 and maybe saw 3d tonight

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:20 pm

How To Train Your Dragon was really great.

Transformers 2. . .not so much.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:27 pm

Now playing in Mystery Locker Room Theater 3000: Oldboy. (English dub 'cause my 2 friends don't wanna read subtitles.)
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Blacklight » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:59 pm

(I guess) More or less recently, I saw Poltergeist, Jaws 2, One Missed Call(dubbed, Japanese version), I Know What You Did Last Summer and The Dark Knight(for the second time ever).
[color="Blue"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color]
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color][/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Pink"]chatbot 03:36 - Blacklight asks, are you sane?
My answer: It's hard to say, really.[/color]
Blacklight

Postby Atria35 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:23 pm

Inherit the Wind
Ringu
Rasen (part two of the Ringu series)
The Maltese Falcon
Atria35

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment