What Movies are you Watching?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Nate » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:45 pm

Atria35 wrote:but it amazes me that, watching Toy Story, that the CG looks a lot rougher than it used to. I think it's me. I've been spoiled by CG, enough that certains scenes stand out as roughly done.

It's not that amazing. Remember that the first Toy Story movie was done 15 years ago. It was amazing by the standards then (and still pretty impressive now). But it is 15 years old.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby ich1990 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:09 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1422719) wrote:It's interesting that you would say that, because I've found (especially with Fellowship) that the extra scenes do more to interrupt the flow of the movie, rather than help it along. I found the same to be the case in The Two Towers to a lesser extent, though the extra scene with Boromir that Atria mentioned was definitely worth the add. Interestingly enough, there are a number of scenes that I thought were changed unnecessarily in TTT, like adding music at the siege of Osgiliath where there had been none before, or removing some of Frodo's lines during a scene with Faramir. The only film where I didn't find the extra scenes to be a burden to the movie's pacing was Return of the King, where I immensely enjoyed just about every extra scene they added. XD Adding the Mouth of Sauron was definitely a FTW decision. XD
Hm, that is interesting. I found the special editions to be superior in every way, although I have to admit that I didn't notice that things were removed as well as added. I will be on the listen for the music at Osgiliath next watch through.

Totally agreed on the Mouth of Sauron, though. That rocked. When we got to that part the first time, I thought to myself "Oh, darn. Yet another mini-boss to get through before something important happens. And man that guy's mouth is weird". Then about ten seconds later I was pumping my fist in the air.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Sheol777 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:51 am

Battle Royal - Finally got to see this, it was pretty good. There was plenty of ultra-violence, but also a decent story.

Alice in Wonderland (2010) - not bad overall, mot a great homage to the original works but decent.
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby Cloud500 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:37 am

Brewster McCloud (1970)

I really don't know what the heck I just watched.
Cloud500

Postby Nate » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:36 pm

The other night I finally got around to watching Where the Wild Things Are.

It was...eh, it wasn't bad. I have a hard time with it because Max was an entirely unsympathetic character at the beginning, which really makes it difficult for me to get into the story. I mean, if Max had lived a legitimately terrible life and was lashing out because of it, I could've accepted it. His sister's friends were kind of jerks, but his mom loved him and gave him attention and he was just being a brat.

Then he got to the island and things started to get better...sort of. It felt like nothing was ever resolved. I mean, yes, obviously he realized while he was king that you really can't make everyone happy no matter how hard you try, and that paralleled how his family was and stuff like that, but the movie doesn't ever make it clear if Max realized that...so to me it feels unfulfilling.

So yeah. I didn't hate it, but...it wasn't all that great. Kinda average, maybe a little below average.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Atria35 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:07 pm

The Ringu (Japanese version of The Ring)- not too shabby. While I think some of the characterization and story suffers a bit, in the very beginning and after the halfway point I was thoroughly creeped out. And when Sadako finally, truly appeared.... Creeeeepy!

The Sixth Sense- as good as I remember. Creepy, atmospheric.... wonderful.
Atria35

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:44 pm

Now playing on Mystery Locker Room Theater 3000: Star Trek.
I was never a huge fan of the series even growing up with TNG (and I've seen very little indeed of the original), so I pretty much have no frame of reference as to what this movie "should" be. That said, I'm enjoying it. It's actually pretty cool.
We should be finished by the end of tomorrow's lunchbreak.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby ich1990 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:44 pm

Doctor Who: The City of Death

My first Dr. Who outside of the reboot, and it was pretty great. The excessive walking and running scenes were indeed excessive, and the fashion is a victim of the times, but it was still a lot of fun. Most amazing was how all of the ticks and mannerisms of the Doctor (well....) were exactly the same as in the reboot. That is an awesome testament to both the acting ability of the Doctors as well as the fidelity of the reboot. I wish more television had such marvelous attention to detail; it does my soul good.
ich1990

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:28 am

I've started watching The Magic of Ordinary Days with my mom; we watched the first half-hour or so. I really like it so far; it looks pretty and is interesting (I went into it without even knowing the premise, so it was fun to try to figure out what was going on just from what they were talking about). Way too early to formulate more of an opinion, though.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:19 am

[quote="ich1990"]Doctor Who: The City of Death

My first Dr. Who outside of the reboot, and it was pretty great. The excessive walking and running scenes were indeed excessive, and the fashion is a victim of the times, but it was still a lot of fun. Most amazing was how all of the ticks and mannerisms of the Doctor (well....) were exactly the same as in the reboot. That is an awesome testament to both the acting ability of the Doctors as well as the fidelity of the reboot. I wish more television had such marvelous attention to detail]

I highly recommend The Brain of Morbius. Tom Baker isn't my favorite classic Doctor, but this is nevertheless probably the best example of a classic Doctor Who story that I've seen. Great all around.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Atria35 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:22 pm

Well, my library didn't have session 9, but during a random walk-by of the dvd shelves I saw...

The Grudge (American version)- Woooo! Scaaary. I got really creeped out by it- it was really good, but man. What an ending.

Paranormal Activity- scared me worse than The Grudge. I had to read a little to relax after that. The ending wasn't as... powerful as that for The Grudge, I think, but it still got me shaking my head.

The Exorcist- the classic horror film! A bit of a build-up to the good stuff, but honestly, this was a good film.
Atria35

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:29 pm

Tombs of the Blind Dead, which will be followed either by The New York Ripper or Terror Beneath the Sea. Man, I watch classy stuff, huh?
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:40 am

Atria35 (post: 1427609) wrote:Well, my library didn't have session 9, but during a random walk-by of the dvd shelves I saw...

The Grudge (American version)- Woooo! Scaaary. I got really creeped out by it- it was really good, but man. What an ending.

Paranormal Activity- scared me worse than The Grudge. I had to read a little to relax after that. The ending wasn't as... powerful as that for The Grudge, I think, but it still got me shaking my head.

The Exorcist- the classic horror film! A bit of a build-up to the good stuff, but honestly, this was a good film.

Wow doing some horror films for the season!

I watched the horror film Forzen. The premise is about three people stuck on a Ski lift....that is all. But it was one of the best horror films of this year
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby ich1990 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:30 pm

Finally got around to seeing the Star Trek reboot. Not bad, not bad. Wasn't as hard of sci-fi that I usually watch (a little too loose with the physics) but a fun movie all around and worth watching.

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1427020) wrote:I highly recommend The Brain of Morbius. Tom Baker isn't my favorite classic Doctor, but this is nevertheless probably the best example of a classic Doctor Who story that I've seen. Great all around.
Noted, thanks.
ich1990

Postby Okami » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:41 pm

I watched "You've Got Mail" with my roommate earlier. It's one of my favorite chick-flicky type of movies, and she had never seen it. So we had to watch it. And we had such a great time, so it's all good. :)
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Sheol777 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:55 am

The Social Network - A bit slow, a lot of it is about a kid being snarky with a bunch of lawyers. The other half is about frat life at Harvard.
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:11 pm

I finished watching all the special features on the Extended Editions of LotR with my sisters. Now we're watching through the Harry Potter series. So far we've seen Philosopher's Stone and Chamber of Secrets!
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:56 pm

I've watched a number of movies in the past week:

Eagle vs. Shark: Strangest movie. XD Oddly funny in places, awkward and bizarre in others. XD I did like the stop motion animation scenes, though. XD

The Greatest: a drama starring Pierce Brosnan and Susan Sarandon about a family who loses their son in a car accident. It's extremely depressing, though I'm told it ends on a hopeful note (I had to leave the apartment where my suitemates were watching it and missed the ending). XD

Whip It: I thought it was fun! Not my favorite movie, but it was fun to see. XD

Juno: Finally got around to seeing this! I wouldn't say it lived up to all of the hype, but there was a lot of hype. Overall it was well done and pretty funny. XD

The Social Network: Excellent film. Well-written dialogue, fantastic acting, and interesting and thought-provoking themes. I didn't find it to be slow at all.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:19 pm

Currently watching the Doctor Who story, Planet of Fire, with the 5th Doctor. (I'm not watching it with him, I mean, he's in it.) I've only done Episode 1 so far. It has its good and bad points (Peri in a two-piece swimsuit=good; Turlough in a marble-bag=bad), but overall it's a good story so far.
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Cloud500 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:56 am

The General (1927)
Cloud500

Postby TWWK » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:36 pm

I'm gonna go watch Beauty and the Beast today and watch it with my son!
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby Atria35 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:04 pm

Ended up seeing quite a few:

Ju-On (the Japanese version of THe Grudge)- I have to say, there were many, many similarities between both versions. There were some things that I preferred in the American version, some that I preferred in the Japanese version. The Japanese version scared me worse, though!
Friday the 13th
Silence of the Lambs

Alone in the Dark - not scary. Funny, but not really scary.
Rosemary's Baby

Man, some of these really creeped me out!!!
Atria35

Postby Adie » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:02 pm

The last movie I watched was District 9. I thought it was awesome~
Adie

Postby Cloud500 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:17 pm

The Secret of Kells

Everyone go out and buy this movie.
Cloud500

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:09 pm

Just watched 13 Ghosts (1960 version). Man, the mid-20th century got horror right. I can imagine that movie giving people nightmares back in the day.
Htom Sirveaux

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:15 pm

Just watched Cornered! tonight and Ophan last night. The Latter was Terrible
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:43 am

Adie (post: 1429539) wrote:The last movie I watched was District 9. I thought it was awesome~

I agree!!

I watched Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban with my sisters, and remembered that that's the only movie where his hair matched my mental image of it XD We also watched the only special features worth bothering about from the first two movies. Man that dude's voice is annoying :stressed:

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Atria35 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:02 am

Trick 'r Treat - a "short film anthology" of sorts, with what's essentially four different scary stories coalescing into one long film. Each of the stories, while very different and individual, still have ties to eachother, some of which aren't apparent until the end. All taking place on one Halloween night. And I have to say, they are all very, very good.
Atria35

Postby ich1990 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:32 pm

The Fugitive

Fairly old movie, but still more than decent. The pace kept moving and the director/writers did a good job of making sure that the tension never let up. Further, the main antagonist was fantastically well acted--more than good enough to make up for Harrison Ford's blandness.

The plot made sure to never let reality and physics get in the way of a good story, though that is pretty par for the course. Also, it was a good story. Solid movie, no doubt.
ich1990

Postby TWWK » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:37 pm

ich1990 (post: 1430698) wrote:The Fugitive

Fairly old movie, but still more than decent. The pace kept moving and the director/writers did a good job of making sure that the tension never let up. Further, the main antagonist was fantastically well acted--more than good enough to make up for Harrison Ford's blandness.

The plot made sure to never let reality and physics get in the way of a good story, though that is pretty par for the course. Also, it was a good story. Solid movie, no doubt.

I think you're selling the movie short. The Fugitive was certainly one of the best action-thriller movies of the '90s, if not the best. Smart, suspenseful, well-acted and full of great scenes and dialogue, I can't think of a better remake of a classic series. It got a number of Oscar nominations and won at least one (Tommy Lee Jones for Best Supporting Actor).

The sequel, U.S. Marshals...not so much.

My wife and I watched the documentary, Babies, the other night. It was pretty cute and did a great job of showing that you really don't need modern conveniences to have a happy family.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment