What Movies are you Watching?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:18 am

Last week I watched the (older) version of The Importance of Being Earnest. Awesome adaptation of the play, which is itself hilarious in the best possible way. I got to watch it with my whole family, and everyone liked it.

Then I also watched The Hound of the Baskervilles for an analysis I have to do for school, though unfortunately I picked out the wrong one and didn't get the Basil Rathbone one. Oh well, it gives me more to talk about since they really changed the story.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:18 pm

watched The Midnight Meat Train and Shuttle the other night

Midnight meat train was actually pretty dang good. I enjoyed it the ending was to be expected minus one thing

Shuttle was Meh reminded me of a more horror version of Taken
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby GhostontheNet » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:18 am

Tonight I watched Avalon.
GhostontheNet

Postby KagayakiWashi » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:38 pm

I watched "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" with a friend of mine tonight. Great movie. Long, but great.
My room mate it also watching "Batman" (1989) which just happens to be my favorite movie....I'm just not paying attention to it right now.
"To be a good listener, you must acquire a musical culture...you must be familiar with the history and development of music, you must listen...to receive music you have to open your ears and wait for the music, you must believe that it is something you need ...to listen is an effort, and just to hear has no merit. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky
Are you hurting? Struggling with something? Need an ear? Check out The Hopeline! https://www.thehopeline.com/CSDefault.aspx
The Blog! http://kagayakiwashi.livejournal.com/
KagayakiWashi

Location: Constantly chasing the dragonfly of love....or something like that

Postby GhostontheNet » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:04 pm

Tonight I watched Edward Scissorhands and May.
GhostontheNet

Postby Ingemar » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:42 pm

I saw Final Fantasy VII Advent Children Complete. Firstly, although it is technically animation, I didn't feel like it should go in the current anime thread. Second, I... honestly don't think it's a vast improvement on the original. It's longer, yes, but it is still the same basic movie.

And thank you Squeenix for marketing a broken product in the first place. :/
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby wildpurplechild » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:55 pm

I watched Princess Bride and the 1994 Lassie movie. Now get me a collie.
Heads up, I don't go on this site much these days...
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:47 pm

GrubbTheFragger (post: 1357088) wrote:watched The Midnight Meat Train and Shuttle the other night

Midnight meat train was actually pretty dang good. I enjoyed it the ending was to be expected minus one thing.

Yeah, I too was surprised at how good it was. I was worried about what might be done to flesh out (no pun intended) the content from the original short story, but overall it was handled pretty well. I did like the original ending better, though. It's like all the effort that was put into the rest of the film just suddenly ran out when it was needed the most. I'm looking forward to seeing The Book of Blood, though.

Speaking of films I'm looking forward to, I'm totally stoked for The Road, coming out Wednesday. I plan on checking the showing times at the local überplex and going down there after work.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:44 am

I watched the newer version of The Importance of Being Earnest with Colin Firth, just to compare. I like both versions! ^_^

I'm now watching The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - with Basil Rathbone this time! I like his subtle acting.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:13 pm

Saw New Moon at the theatre last night.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:47 am

Well, I'm disappointed. I was really stoked to go see The Road, but it's the one new movie that the local theater isn't playing. I don't wanna have to wait for this one to come out on DVD to see it.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:50 pm

Provided Taylor hasn't defriended me, I'm probably going to see 2012 with him. I would never choose to see it on my own, though. I KNOW that movie is going to be terrible. The Koreans all seem to love it, though. Taylor's seen it twice already, I think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Song_of_Storms » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:16 pm

[SIZE="1"]I watched The Boy in the striped Pajamas tonight.

It was so heartbreaking... I cried, a lot. X3 -and to think some morons try to say the Holocaust never happened. -.-

The two main characters, the kids, were fantastic actors. I tend to loath when a kid pops up, but they were WONDERFUL. ^w^ [/SIZE]
ImageImage ImageImageImage
Song_of_Storms

Postby GhostontheNet » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:44 pm

Tonight I watched Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man.
GhostontheNet

Postby KagayakiWashi » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:05 am

Yesterday I watched:
"Amadeus".....on Blu-Ray....never can go wrong with that movie. Also watch "The Making of...".....excellent stuff.
"Iron Man"....great action movie to watch with the family
"Plan 9 From Outer Space" as much hype as this movie gets for being terrible and being funny for that fact, it was a real let down.
"Big Man Japan" I'm not a huge tokusatsu fan, but I really enjoyed this mockumentary by Hitoshi Matsumoto (of Silent Library fame). I highly recommend it if you enjoy giant monster of the week type entertainment, but you have to give it some time to actually see the fights.....especially the child monster. Heck, even my MOM enjoyed it! (which was a real treat, getting to explain all the jokes and the genre to her)
"To be a good listener, you must acquire a musical culture...you must be familiar with the history and development of music, you must listen...to receive music you have to open your ears and wait for the music, you must believe that it is something you need ...to listen is an effort, and just to hear has no merit. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky
Are you hurting? Struggling with something? Need an ear? Check out The Hopeline! https://www.thehopeline.com/CSDefault.aspx
KagayakiWashi

Postby wildpurplechild » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:39 am

Also saw New Moon in the theater. It was so much better than Twilight!! Thank goodness for new directors!
Heads up, I don't go on this site much these days...
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Postby KagayakiWashi » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:36 am

Yesterday I continued watching movies and saw:
Part of "What About Bob" which is a personal favorite
"The Incredible Mr. Fox" which was a fun watch with incredible animation
Part of "The Nightmare Beofre Christmas" in hi-def :D
And finally "Doubt", which was excellent.
KagayakiWashi

Postby Song_of_Storms » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:47 pm

KagayakiWashi (post: 1358225) wrote:Yesterday I continued watching movies and saw:
[color="Black"]Part of "What About Bob" which is a personal favorite[/color]
"The Incredible Mr. Fox" which was a fun watch with incredible animation
Part of "The Nightmare Beofre Christmas" in hi-def :D
And finally "Doubt", which was excellent.

[SIZE="1"]With Bill Murray? I love that movie! >w<

A friend came over, and we rented/watched The Corpse Bride and Sleepy Hollow. The Corpse Bride was okay, but Sleepy Hollow was painful. Between the annoying lead female and the fact witches triumph over God, I didn't find any reason to like this movie. I love how people think just because someone lived BEFORE THEM, thier joy in life was killing people. -and we all know how Christians killl women for drawing stars and clouds. Wow... we must all be total morons then, huh? Yes, I'm ranting. I have a reason to rant.[/SIZE]
Song_of_Storms

Postby Danderson » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:04 pm

Just watched surfs up for first time with family....

didn't excpect much, but was blown away by the camera work. It's amazing how they were able to mimic the documentary style....that made my day.....
Danderson

Postby GhostontheNet » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:55 pm

Song_of_Storms (post: 1358459) wrote:[SIZE="1"]With Bill Murray? I love that movie! >w<

A friend came over, and we rented/watched The Corpse Bride and Sleepy Hollow. The Corpse Bride was okay, but Sleepy Hollow was painful. Between the annoying lead female and the fact witches triumph over God, I didn't find any reason to like this movie. I love how people think just because someone lived BEFORE THEM, thier joy in life was killing people. -and we all know how Christians killl women for drawing stars and clouds. Wow... we must all be total morons then, huh? Yes, I'm ranting. I have a reason to rant.[/SIZE]
Over against this interpretation, please read my final critical analysis in The Horror Film titled "Into the Horseman's Forest: Characterization in Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow" (link) for a more balanced critique. As I see it, Sleepy Hollow is a film illustrating the need for renewed theological emphasis on the maternalistic qualities of deity, which I argue can be met through the study of the rich body of Wisdom material in scripture and extra-scriptural Jewish and Christian writing. You can jeer all you want, but the historical fact is that whenever the church is feeling really misogynistic, it goes on a witch hunt. For example, in the influential witch hunter's manual, Malleus Maleficarum, written by the Inquisitors Heinrich Kramer and Jacob Sprenger, the authors angrily ask: "What else is woman but a foe to friendship, an unescapable punishment, a necessary evil, a natural temptation, a desirable calamity, a domestic danger, a delectable detriment, an evil of nature, painted with fair colors!" (p. 43, cited in Barbara Creed, The Monstrous Feminine: Film, Feminism, Psychoanalysis p. 75) Is it any wonder, then, that these men relished the opportunity to watch the pretty birds contort and sing under excruciating torture, all the while stripping them of their plumage and dignity? That being said, do you still believe Tim Burton's imagery is excessive when you enjoy the relative protection of the combined legacy of classical liberalism and three waves of feminism?
GhostontheNet

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:32 pm

I'm all for critical thinking but over-analysing something that much can lead to sucking the very enjoyment from it.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby GhostontheNet » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:07 am

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1358491) wrote:I'm all for critical thinking but over-analysing something that much can lead to sucking the very enjoyment from it.
Nonsense, my analytic approach to films and other aesthetic arts boosts enjoyment tenfold.
GhostontheNet

Postby ChristianKitsune » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:24 am

<_< >_>
I watched New Moon...
and....
I Loved it. So much better than the first... WAY less awkward (still awkward but yah XD)

I make fun of the first now...its fun to laugh at.

I also watched Seven Pounds (Amazing movie, I cried.)
and The BlindSide! (also amazing, I cried too)

Last week I watched the (older) version of The Importance of Being Earnest. Awesome adaptation of the play, which is itself hilarious in the best possible way. I got to watch it with my whole family, and everyone liked it.

I JUST watched that movie for the first time last week! It was the one with Colin Firth though... so I'm not sure if that's the older version or not XD.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Song_of_Storms » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:43 am

GhostontheNet (post: 1358488) wrote:Over against this interpretation, please read my final critical analysis in The Horror Film titled "Into the Horseman's Forest: Characterization in Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow" (link) for a more balanced critique. As I see it, Sleepy Hollow is a film illustrating the need for renewed theological emphasis on the maternalistic qualities of deity, which I argue can be met through the study of the rich body of Wisdom material in scripture and extra-scriptural Jewish and Christian writing. You can jeer all you want, but the historical fact is that whenever the church is feeling really misogynistic, it goes on a witch hunt. For example, in the influential witch hunter's manual, Malleus Maleficarum, written by the Inquisitors Heinrich Kramer and Jacob Sprenger, the authors angrily ask: "What else is woman but a foe to friendship, an unescapable punishment, a necessary evil, a natural temptation, a desirable calamity, a domestic danger, a delectable detriment, an evil of nature, painted with fair colors!" (p. 43, cited in Barbara Creed, The Monstrous Feminine: Film, Feminism, Psychoanalysis p. 75) Is it any wonder, then, that these men relished the opportunity to watch the pretty birds contort and sing under excruciating torture, all the while stripping them of their plumage and dignity? That being said, do you still believe Tim Burton's imagery is excessive when you enjoy the relative protection of the combined legacy of classical liberalism and three waves of feminism?

[SIZE="1"]After I typed a lengthy response, I decided not to. This isn't the defend your views thread, and I know no matter what I say won't change your wrong perspective anyway. So, go ahead and think like that. You and the rest of pop culture. It doesn't make it correct, regardless of what you think.
Oh, one thing though. Tossing around the liberal and sexist cards means nothing to me. I'm just a little disturbed you'll find means to defend anything.[/SIZE]
Song_of_Storms

Postby GhostontheNet » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:42 pm

Song_of_Storms (post: 1358543) wrote:[SIZE="1"]After I typed a lengthy response, I decided not to. This isn't the defend your views thread, and I know no matter what I say won't change your wrong perspective anyway. So, go ahead and think like that. You and the rest of pop culture. It doesn't make it correct, regardless of what you think.
Oh, one thing though. Tossing around the liberal and sexist cards means nothing to me. I'm just a little disturbed you'll find means to defend anything.[/SIZE]
I am responsive to a well-reasoned argument, provided one can be made. But if you don't feel your rebuttal is compelling enough to defend your own viewpoint, I admire your humility. I'm sure the reason I've been listening to underground music and watching strange and unusual films all these years is that I have close affinity with every trend in pop culture. If it's not in, I'm out, that's what I always say. I understand that until very recently, America felt strongly enough about torture to include a clause against it in the Bill of Rights. Although these days, some feel that a millenarian witch hunt of another kind is important enough to justify its revival, so it's up to every blue-blooded American to determine whether the founding principles or political expediency should prevail. Either way, there's a long precedent for it in American history, which is an important part of the meaning of Sleepy Hollow. If being brutally tortured because one is a woman--and everybody knows those batting eyes are an obvious indication black magic is afoot--is not a very obvious example of institutionalized sexism, I don't know what is. But this story too is another very important story in American history, and we can't afford to forget it simply because it makes us feel bad. If anyone should be "just a little disturbed you'll find means to defend anything", it's me in regard to your indifference to the historical torture of your own gender and anyone else who occupies the role of the feared Other. Anyway, it's wrong to say the wicked witch and the Horseman defeat God, they only destroy the faithless servants who would presume to falsely represent God for their own ends. After all, no sooner does Ichabod point out that the Horseman cannot enter the hallowed grounds of the church, than the town minister frantically exclaims "We have to save ourselves!" before using the cross as an old rugged blunt force instrument to murder his rival, effectively denying the very core of the Christian faith in his words and actions. Now, if the church burned down, the wicked witch seized control of Sleepy Hollow, and/or the townspeople all died, you might have a case that Tim Burton's narrative indicates that God is defeated. Lacking this, it's clear you need to read the film more carefully.
GhostontheNet

Postby Tarnish » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:58 pm

I'm sure the reason I've been listening to underground music and watching strange and unusual films all these years is that I have close affinity with every trend in pop culture.

No, I'm pretty sure you're just pretentious.
Tarnish

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:10 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1358491) wrote:I'm all for critical thinking but over-analysing something that much can lead to sucking the very enjoyment from it.

Eh, I'm gonna have to disagree. I think critical analysis can be very very fun, and having a broader contextual understanding can heighten the enjoyment of things media-related (for me, at least).

But to post an analysis on a forum where the majority demographic doesn't care might not be the best idea. Such things are best left in more academic contexts.
GhostontheNet (post: 1358614) wrote:Lacking this, it's clear you need to read the film more carefully.

Goodness, man. Not everyone has taken like... senior-level lit theory classes or intro to post-structuralism or something. Why not just let people enjoy their own philosophical ruminating, whether or not you consider it immature compared to yours. Besides, that's how people grow in their appreciation for things like this.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:18 pm

Okay, I'm gonna step in here and ask that this discussion calm down a bit. If any of you want to take this particular line of discussion any further, please do so via PM.

GhostontheNet (post: 1358493) wrote:Nonsense, my analytic approach to films and other aesthetic arts boosts enjoyment tenfold.

Thought it may "boost your enjoyment," Ghost, you are in the minority on a website like this. While analysis of any creative work can be very enlightening, please recall that not all people find such heavy discussion enjoyable. Some people enjoy movies simply for the movies' sake, and I'd like to ask that you would think twice before pressing the matter with people who don't want to argue with you, especially when it comes down to a matter of moral conviction. Remember Romans 14 and let the arguments go, please.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:14 pm

Um...getting back on topic....

ChristianKitsune (post: 1358495) wrote:I JUST watched that movie for the first time last week! It was the one with Colin Firth though... so I'm not sure if that's the older version or not XD.

That would be the newer version. The older one was in the '50s. Colin Firth's a great actor, though!

Let's see.... I've watched several of the Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes movies, and was somewhat disappointed with the "secret agent" feel to them. I was hoping for more of the classic Holmes mysteries....

Then I saw A Dog Called Christmas, which is about a boy with some mental retardation who has an affinity for animals, and makes a difference in his community when he adopts a dog over the Christmas break. The acting was very good, and for a sentimental Christmas dog story movie, it was impressively good.

And tonight I'm hopefully going to start watching Dragonheart.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby GhostontheNet » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:34 pm

I'm watching Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

Tarnish (post: 1358620) wrote:No, I'm pretty sure you're just pretentious.
In order to be pretentious, I have to make claims not justified by the reality of my actions. As I am here quoted here, I've made three claims: a.) that I possess a savvy for underground music, b.) that I have an affinity for strange and unusual films, and c.) that these traits are inconsistent with an accusation that I slavishly follow every trend of pop culture. The first claim is easily proved by the fact that since the Summer of 2006, I have run an underground Internet radio station which, throughout the entire span of its history, has attracted hundreds of thousands of listeners (I should break the one million mark by 2010). My musical selections, meanwhile, have garnered no small amount of astonishment and praise, both from a wealth of everyday individuals, and from people with with a level of training and experience in music and the arts that is nothing to be sneezed at. And God continues to be my guide throughout, which says a lot right there. My second claim, meanwhile, is fairly easily proved with a good look at the films I've posted throughout the history of this thread. If you were to pick them up and watch them, I'm sure they would lead you down the rabbit hole and into Wonderland, to say the least. The third claim follows from the other two, and justly assumes that a person who slavishly follows pop culture is afraid to venture into unfamiliar territory because it would mark them off for their idiosyncrasies. Now, none of this means that I am better or special in a way that others are not. Anyone can do what I have done, provided they are not resigned to remain sitting on their hands. Remember, Joseph is constantly accused of rank pretension, but with God at his side he always delivers beyond anyone's wildest imagination, even his own.

Radical Dreamer wrote:Thought it may "boost your enjoyment," Ghost, you are in the minority on a website like this. While analysis of any creative work can be very enlightening, please recall that not all people find such heavy discussion enjoyable. Some people enjoy movies simply for the movies' sake, and I'd like to ask that you would think twice before pressing the matter with people who don't want to argue with you, especially when it comes down to a matter of moral conviction. Remember Romans 14 and let the arguments go, please.
Simple enough, the least common denominator is an easy standard to attain (and maintain). I can just sit idly as one of the best works of my all-time favorite director, the man whose movies I literally grew up on, is carelessly slandered on the flimsiest of evidence. Never mind artistic integrity, we're all here for light entertainment, or spreading nasty rumors, as the case may be. And because Song_of_Storms plays the old hit-and-run card of bringing up her points while claiming not to bring them up so that she can get the last word, suddenly I'm in the wrong because I respond to her points.

It is true that we should not pass judgment on each other or cause one another to stumble. "Judgment", however, is a legal term that means to come to a verdict over a person accused of wrongdoing, especially in regard to the doctrine of God as judge. But I do not claim to presume upon Song_of_Storms' standing before God, and am fairly certain she is saved by God's grace. I only criticize her viewpoints and behaviors on matters that are important, but non-salvific in nature, and this in an informal capacity. In the present context, the 'do not put a stumbling block before your brother' passage of Romans, arising as it does from early Christian debates over eating meats sacrificed to idols, would be most applicable if witches caused Song_of_Storms a serious crisis of faith, and I pressured or forced her to watch Sleepy Hollow again, watch a related film about witches, or visit a Wiccan coven to see that it's really not as big a deal as she makes it. But as it stands, I've simply discussed the meaning of a shared experience, that of watching Sleepy Hollow. So too, I've been very careful not to imply that anyone I've criticized is incapable of growth as Christians. Where satire is deployed, it is done in the spirit of the challenge-riposte system present throughout scripture (especially Jesus' ministry and Paul's letters), and universally accepted throughout the Ancient Near East as a means of mediating conflict. Hence, how exactly I've violated the spirit of this passage must be explained.
GhostontheNet

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment