The Passion Of The Christ

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:24 pm

"To each his own" is the case when it comes to standard movies. This was a work of ministry. A partly evangelistic, partly introspective work and is telling the story because Mel felt this had to be his defining moment. To attack a Christian on small details when they are working to reach people for Jesus is just plain wrong. It's no longer a simple matter of opinion. This tells the gospel story of Jesus' death and resurrection. It doesn't add any "doctrine", but only adds narrative details to progress the film. I'm not going to stand by and see his work considered "wrong" just because of that. That is wrong.

I had the same sort of attitude when I came into the movie. I was going to see if it "deviated" from the Biblical story... When I saw peter deny Jesus, and the Pharasee's yell at him for supposedly "breaking the sabaath" I realized how incredibly petty I was. I was petty... I denied Jesus and I've been just like the pharasees in many cases. I was a complete hypocrite.

For a christian to be fixated on those details when they see Jesus suffer and die for their own screw ups, wrongfully accused and murdered for what was MY fault, I'd say they had lost the point entirely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:08 pm

Edit: Never mind, I misunderstood. My apologies m(_ _)m Still, I'll stay out of this thread until I've seen the film and can accurately comment on it.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Six » Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:36 pm

Bobtheduck wrote:"To each his own" is the case when it comes to standard movies. This was a work of ministry. A partly evangelistic, partly introspective work and is telling the story because Mel felt this had to be his defining moment. To attack a Christian on small details when they are working to reach people for Jesus is just plain wrong. It's no longer a simple matter of opinion. This tells the gospel story of Jesus' death and resurrection. It doesn't add any "doctrine", but only adds narrative details to progress the film. I'm not going to stand by and see his work considered "wrong" just because of that. That is wrong.

I had the same sort of attitude when I came into the movie. I was going to see if it "deviated" from the Biblical story... When I saw peter deny Jesus, and the Pharasee's yell at him for supposedly "breaking the sabaath" I realized how incredibly petty I was. I was petty... I denied Jesus and I've been just like the pharasees in many cases. I was a complete hypocrite.

For a christian to be fixated on those details when they see Jesus suffer and die for their own screw ups, wrongfully accused and murdered for what was MY fault, I'd say they had lost the point entirely.

bravo... very very well put
:thumb:
Six

Location: Pittsfield MA but i preffer Philly which is where I will be going to College

Postby Ashley » Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:00 pm

I'm going to ask you guys to calm it way down again; everyone is entitled to their opinions and interpretations, ok? Disliking this movie isn't a sin, nor does it make someone any less of a Christian or anything of that sort. It's just that, a movie. Nothing more, nothing less. Please try to keep this in mind.

So far this thread has been relatively decent, please don't make us close it.
Ashley

Postby Mave » Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:05 pm

I've been humbled.

I am nothing
I am wretched.

After watching it, all my doubts, questions and arguments about my faith melted away. Debates no longer matter. It doesn't matter whether you're Catholic, Protestant, what you've done, what your name is, it all just doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if someone offended you, make fun of you or hated you.

All I know is I don't deserve salvation. I have no right to complain, no right to make judgments, no right to criticize anyone, no right to demand anything, I don't have any rights at all...How dare I be proud? How dare I have confidence in my own will? How dare I claim I know everything? How dare I force my selfish desires on God? My God, my God what have I done?

I don't understand it all. I will never understand God's Love completely, why Jesus did it, I can't coz I'm just human. All I can do is ask for mercy that He'll forgive me for not understanding it all, for denying Him, for betraying Him and for watching Him die.

"Therefore, I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes." That verse has never meant so much to me. Oh how I wish for this type of humility and repentance everyday of my life.

I am humbled.

EDIT: I apologize if I ever acted proud here or offended anyone.
Mave

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:26 pm

This movie has given me fire to change who I am and to seek to follow my Lord with all I have. I will hereafter stay out of debates on this subject. I must praise my savior for using this movie to change something that was wrong in my heart rather than try to defend it. I know how God worked in my Heart, and the Holy Spirit brought conviction to me in something I'd been doing wrong. I pray that everyone who sees it will have a similar experience. I hope that seeing what our savior did for us and what we did to him will drive each and every one of us closer to him. I also hope that those who saw this and have been called to work in different artistic and journalistic media will be inspired and encouranged to proceed in the work God has called you to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Bobtheduck

Postby Six » Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:03 am

Ashley wrote:I'm going to ask you guys to calm it way down again]

i do not mean to imply that anyone is less of, or more of, a christian because of a simple film as well that is not possible, all christians are sinners saved by grace and all are equal in Gods sight. however the statement bob made

I'm not going to stand by and see his work considered "wrong" just because of that. That is wrong.

i took that to mean wrong in an incorrect way not wrong in a sinful way.

in this statement

I was going to see if it "deviated" from the Biblical story... When I saw peter deny Jesus, and the Pharasee's yell at him for supposedly "breaking the sabaath" I realized how incredibly petty I was. I was petty... I denied Jesus and I've been just like the pharasees in many cases. I was a complete hypocrite.

i dont believe he accusses anyone but himself of having had the wrong attitude.

so yeah i just wanted to clarify that by agreeing with him. i in no way meant to imply that anyone was less/more of a christian. and if i did i sincerely apolagize for it as it was definatly not my intent
Six

Location: Pittsfield MA but i preffer Philly which is where I will be going to College

Postby Zilch » Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:10 am

I just saw this movie Friday, and all I can do is quote this song by Tourniquet...

Artist: Tourniquet
Album: Crawl To China
Song: If I Was There

I close my eyes and think about Calvary
I see it happening right in front of me
the back that bore the whip, the head that held the crown of thorns
what if I was there
would I even care, would I even care
or would I only stare

What if I was there just a face in the crowd
would I hide in shame or would I laugh out loud
would I pity Him or think that He is just a fool
another criminal
or just the truth, or just the truth
He is heaven’s jewel

As He marched up that hill
I can picture Him still in my mind
all the blood and the sweat on His brow
as He passed me on by, I could see in His eyes
that His pain was a gift of His love

He was the sacrifice-the Lamb
and He is the great I AM
and He paid the price for me
the price for you and me

He made the deaf to hear again
He called the sinful man a friend
He walked that hill for me
so my blind soul could see

As He marched up that hill
I can picture Him still in my mind
all the blood and the sweat on His brow
as He passed me on by, I could see in His eyes
that His pain was a gift of His love

I close my eyes and think about Calvary
I see it happening right in front of me
two criminals were there-with one on either side of Him
one hurled insults and one believed

Which one am I?

No other way for me to describe it...
Uh-oh! Your sig have started to move! -- MOES.

I suppose you could find females attracted to you if you stop being bad at flirting. -MSP
Zilch

Passion: $117.5 million haul in its first five days

Postby GraFX Boy » Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:07 pm

Mel Gibson's 'Passion' Pays Off at Box Office
Fox News
Sunday, February 29, 2004

LOS ANGELES*—* Mel Gibson 's ( search ) gamble on " The Passion of the Christ " ( search ) paid off enormously, riding a storm of religious debate to a $117.5 million haul in its first five days, according to studio estimates Sunday.

"The Passion," which debuted on* Ash Wednesday (search ), rocketed to the No. 1 box-office slot for the weekend with $76.2 million from Friday to Sunday.

It was the seventh-best three-day opening ever, behind " Spider-Man " ( search ) at $114.8 million and such Hollywood franchises as " The Matrix Reloaded " ( search ) and the first two "Harry Potter" movies.

"The Passion" put up the second-best five-day figures for a movie opening on Wednesday, behind last year's "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" at $124.1 million and ahead of "Star Wars: Episode I — The Phantom Menace" at $105.6 million.

The first movie released in 2004 to cross the $100 million mark, "The Passion" easily passed the weekend's No. 2 flick, "50 First Dates" at $88.7 million, as the year's top-grossing film.

Once considered a niche film that would appeal mainly to conservative Christians, the bloody chronicle of Christ's crucifixion swelled to blockbuster proportions as Gibson rallied church groups to support it and accusations of anti-Semitism brought mainstream attention.

"It's an event movie," said Bruce Davey, Gibson's partner in his film company Icon Productions. "It all began with the grass-roots campaign we started, but the controversy has obviously helped in creating awareness."

Some Jewish and Christian leaders have said they fear "The Passion" will revive the notion that Jews collectively were responsible for Christ's death.

Gibson has denied such accusations, and key cast members — including Jim Caviezel, who plays Christ, and Maia Morgenstern, a Jewish actress who plays Mary — said Gibson approached the film with great respect for Judaic traditions.

Gibson put up the movie's $25 million budget and will reap most of the returns. Hollywood studios passed on the movie, so Gibson put it in theaters through independent distributor Newmarket Films, which will get a cut of Gibson's profits.

"The Passion" provided a box-office jolt for theaters, whose ticket sales were running 7 percent behind last year's. After four straight weekends of declining revenue, the top 12 movies took in $132.1 million, up 53 percent from the same weekend a year ago.

"The Passion" took in more money than the rest of the top 12 combined, with other new movies making barely a ripple.

The Ashley Judd crime thriller "Twisted" debuted at No. 3 with $9.1 million from Friday to Sunday. "Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights," a prequel to the 1980s hit, opened in fifth place with $5.9 million. The horror spoof "Broken Lizard's Club Dread" premiered at No. 10 with $3 million.

Playing in 3,043 theaters, "The Passion" averaged a whopping $25,041, compared to $3,367 in 2,703 cinemas for "Twisted."

The success of "The Passion" is more remarkable considering it was shot in two dead languages, Aramaic and Latin, and plays with English subtitles. The movie's violence, including a savage depiction of Christ's scourging and crucifixion, also did not deter movie-goers, who lifted "The Passion" to the second-best R-rated opening ever behind "The Matrix Reloaded" at $91.8 million for its first weekend.

"'The Passion' is the most unlikely blockbuster I've ever seen. I don't have enough adjectives in my repertoire to describe it," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Exhibitor Relations. "Even nonbelievers probably felt the need to see this film because it's undeniably about one of the most important events in history, and everybody is talking about it."

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at North American theaters, according to Exhibitor Relations Co. Inc. Final figures will be released Monday.
GraFX Boy

Postby Kenchii » Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:00 pm

"Amen. I will remember you when we return to heaven we shall live in paradise."

Well, I have just seen the movie last night and thought It was very well put. This has to be the closes reinactment of the crusification I have yet seen. They showed the true 'passion' Jesus Christ had for us humans that sinned. I think everyone over twelve years old should watch this film. The new geneoration of kids/teens need to watch it and it would open up there spirits and faith more in to christanity. My favorite parts of the movie were the end and middle. It's a must see.
私は愛する

<3

:: xanga ::

:: reviews::

:: amv's ::
Kenchii

Postby YesIExist » Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:50 pm

Saw it tonight. Very moving and emotional. I did cry a little bit.

I have never been to a movie where people in the audience were so quiet. There was very little popcorn-crunching and very little plastic-crinkling. And I noticed that at the end, a lot of people seemed hesitant to get out of their seats, which was unusual because usually at least half are trying to get up during the credits. They kept staring at the screen, riveted.

The only thing I would change about the movie is that I would try to make clear the necessity of Christ's sacrifice.

Another comment I would make is that peaceful/neutral scenes from Christ's life in the middle of violent scenes helped to soften the blow of the violent scenes, and added some context.

[By the way, I haven't read anyone elses' review, so excuse me if I sound redundant.]

Edit: Also, I think that this movie might inspire people to read the Bible to see what passages are being acted out.

Edit 2: I think the gore is pretty realistic, and the movie adheres to scripture.
Idle hands are indeed the devil's playground. -_- :bang:
YesIExist

Postby Orange Kitten » Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:41 am

YesIExist wrote: And I noticed that at the end, a lot of people seemed hesitant to get out of their seats, which was unusual because usually at least half are trying to get up during the credits. They kept staring at the screen, riveted.

That would be me. I couldn't budge. I waited, letting my tears dry, until the credits stopped and my friends got out of their seats, waiting for me.

This is the BEST protrayal of Christ in any film, ever.

Added stuff: GREAT! Of course there will be added things, but nothing added was wrong.
I personally thought the portrayal of Satan was awesome. You don't think Satan was tempting Christ that night? You don't think Satan was playing with Juda's mind afterwards? I think he was. And I'm glad Mel put that in.

One of my favorite scenes, when Jesus drew the line in the sand and saved the girl from being stoned to death. The music and sound effects heightened that to the extreme. Short but to the point where we would recognize who that girl was and remember that story (if you've read the Bible)

Anyways, awesome movie. Can honestly say it's the first film to make me cry for more 1/2 the movie.
"Destroy all that which is evil, so that which is good may flourish" - The Boondock Saints

"Man creates dolls in his own image. If God exists, it's possible that we're all just dolls to him." - Evangelion (episode 22)

AMV.org Profile
Orange Kitten

Postby ThaKladd » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:15 am

I have not seen it yet.. because it comes to Norway at March 26... but I cant wait... :)

I am folowing the voting at http://www.imdb.com and found out a thing that gives some perspective to the debate I think...

so far it has 7.8/10, and its very good... but when you click on the stars you can see some statiscs avout how peaople have voted.

as I write there is 63.5% who have voted 10!! but 9.4 has voted 1.
between grade 2 and 6 the precent is 7.2

This shows that the movie has many fanatic(or...?) enemies... because... how can someone give the movie 1 when most people give it 10 if they not are enemies of the faith(or gives it because the antisemitic claim?, or maybe all the violence?)? Or.. maybe this are things that uppset older people, because most of they who have vote 1 is older than 29...??

I don't know.. :)
We in our foolishness thought we were wise
He played the fool and He opened our eyes
We in our weakness believed we were strong
He became helpless to show we were wrong
- Michael Card
ThaKladd

Postby Solid Ronin » Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:26 pm

My goal when I see this movie is not to be touched :evil:
Solid Ronin

Postby YesIExist » Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:49 pm

Ronin of Kirai wrote:My goal when I see this movie is not to be touched :evil:

You're kidding, right? :drool:
YesIExist

Postby Solid Ronin » Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:56 pm

YesIExist wrote:You're kidding, right? :drool:

nope :evil:
Solid Ronin

Postby Stephen » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:33 pm

Just got back from seeing the movie. It was ok...I cannot say I think it is a masterpiece...but it was ok. My 2 cents is that Mel added a bit too much of his own imagination. Now before all the Gibsonites attack me...I still think it was a fine film...the worst example of imagination gone too far is the crow scene...where the bird pecks at the theifs eyes.....Now some might argue that it added somthing or whatever...it just kinda irked me. If however adding things like that draw people that need extra action...and they get touched...I suppose its a good thing. As far as I am concerned it was needless distraction. But anyway...anyone who is aruging over this film should at least watch it....it will give you a far greater understanding how very horrible cruifixition is...and the sacrafice that was paid.
Stephen

Postby Zilch » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:50 pm

I hate to admit it, but that was a bit too much. The Bible says nothing of ravens...oh, well...poetic license, I suppose...

I suppose you could find females attracted to you if you stop being bad at flirting. -MSP
Zilch

Postby YesIExist » Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:52 pm

Ronin of Kirai wrote:nope :evil:

We'll see. ;)
YesIExist

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:15 pm

Zilch wrote:I hate to admit it, but that was a bit too much. The Bible says nothing of ravens...oh, well...poetic license, I suppose...

What I had heard was that Ravens came to crucified people and ate at their flesh. And, Mel said a lot of the scenes were not literal but were symbolic. He didn't say, that I had heard, that the raven scene was supposed to be. The scene with the children, the snake at the opening (and he will crush the serpents head, and it will bruise his heel,) the scenes with satan, and very importantly, the opening line for Mary "What is different about this night from every other night?" That is a line from the passover tradition, and it is symbolic of the passover being a look forward to Jesus' Resurrection. The raven scene, though, I believe was just supposed to be symbolic. He was blind because he didn't see who Jesus really was.

Personally, I think a lot of people misinterpret that verse in Revelations. It does not say adding anything to any of the stories will result in a curse, it says adding to the prophecies in Revelations will result in a curse. In telling the Biblical story, fictional portions of the account (such as that song about the man who carried Jesus cross, or episodes of adventures in odyssey where the kids play a part in the crucifixion and resurrection story, or shows Like superbook or Flying house) are entirely ok as long as nothing important is changed. Jesus was human and God. He died. He resurrected in the flesh. Not only that, but with the exception of putting movie where there was blank space, Mel was incredibly faithfull to the Gospels. He payed close attention to all four gospels. He is ridiculed for this, but he says "The gospels for me are history. Any other revisionist history is to me an insult" (not an exact quote, I don't have it readily available)

Mel Gibson has stated taht the only thing that can be taken as history is the Gospel accounts. The symbolism was meant to show things that he's learned from the Gospels, but his film isn't meant to be history. The Gospels are. I know more people that have gone back to read the gospels after that movie, and with new understanding, and have a better picture of what Jesus did for them.
Bobtheduck

Postby Solid Ronin » Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:25 am

[quote="YesIExist"]We'll see. ]

dont underestimate my Kirai
Solid Ronin

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:20 am

The raven scene is a generally Catholic tradition. He actually didn't just make up a lot of stuff, he draws from a wealth of tradition (not all of which I approve, including this bit) surrounding the crucifixion.

I could say a number of negative things about the movie (now that I have seen it), and give a theological examination. I won't, though, this thread is negative enough as it is. All I'll say is that I could have done without certain elements of the supernatural, and less of some traditions that Vatican 2 eliminated (Gibson is a member of a group that doesn't like these proclamations). This leaves me to say positive things.

The scene in which Peter denies Christ... excellantly done. I wish it would have ended a bit sooner, but that is hardly a major flaw.

I did not cry (not that I feel this is bad or weak), but I came very near it. Strangely, it was during the scene in which Jesus is carrying the cross, and the people are jeering and throwing rocks at him. I was ambivalent until the scene began merging between this scene and the Triumphal entry. Thinking about how many people do this same thing in my life touched me.

The flashback in which Jesus saves the prostitute (which should not have been Mary...) was... interesting. My general thought (about Jesus's first apperance is): it's Super Jesus! I can't say I didn't like it, though.

I also liked the transformation of that Cyrene guy (whose name forever escapes me) who helps Jesus carry the cross. He begins with the ironic line "know that I am an innocent man carrying the cross of a condemned man" and changes to be someone who is one of Jesus's few allies.

I was dissapointed in the ressurection scene, but it could have been far worse. It was tasteful for the camera to pan back and Jesus is just standing beside the grave clothes. I wish the last moment of the movie had been him glancing at us, though.

Satan's scream. Loser.
uc pseudonym

Postby cbwing0 » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:23 am

uc pseudonym wrote:I also liked the transformation of that Cyrene guy (who's name forever escapes me) who helps Jesus carry the cross.

That would be Simon of Cyrene, whose story is found in Luke 23:26: "As they led him away, they seized Simon from Cyrene, who was on his way from the country, and put the cross on him and made him carry it behind Jesus."
cbwing0

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:53 am

Ah, yes, that's it. In a few minutes, this variable will be again replaced with "that Cyrene guy."

Another element, though a rather subtle one. In one of the flashbacks to the Last Supper, Jesus says something to the effect of "As they have persecuted me, so they will persecute you." What makes it interesting is that just as he says the second clause, he looks directly at the camera.
uc pseudonym

Postby Gypsy » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:38 pm

I saw the movie again last night. Once again, the part that hit me the hardest was Mary's question (or was it a prayer?) to the effect of "how, when, and where will you choose to be delivered of this?" It really drove home the point that Christ didn't just let Himself be tortured and killed - he litterally offered Himself. I can't imagine how the angels felt that day, just watching Him.
Gypsy

Postby Technomancer » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:23 pm

As far as I know, there is no symbolism attached to the raven's appearance in the film, at least in any sort of traditional iconography. I do admit that the way that part is presented tends to detract from the overall scene. I'll have to find out from my mother though to be sure about the symbolism issue (if any), since she studied art history in university, and is in a better position to know. However, that ravens would peck at the condemned is no surprise of course, since they are after all carrion eaters.

I have no problems with the way the devil was presented in the film, and had honestly thought that the role was well generally done.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Fsiphskilm » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:47 pm

UC... I would just lov
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby cbwing0 » Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:42 am

Volt wrote:UC... I would just love to hug and thank you for being so open and bold.

He didn't say anything... :lol:
cbwing0

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:53 am

:shady: Come on, cbwing0, you know what he meant. Your username doesn't exactly flow off the tongue, by the way (this is an irrelevant observation).

Now, to make this post worth something, I must think of something on topic to say...

Another scene I enjoyed was the first flashback, in which we see an older Jesus, and he's just playing around with Mary. Similar to my mother and I, actually. While the line "It will never catch on" felt slightly forced, it was still a bit amusing in my mind.
uc pseudonym

Postby Zilch » Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:30 pm

The scene where He's taking to His mother while on the street with the cross, "Look, mother, I make all things new..."That got me...and when he's praying "They don't know! They don't know!"...almost made me cry...

Zilch

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment