What Movies are you Watching?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby ich1990 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:50 pm

Die Hard

From all that I had heard about it, I didn't expect it to be as complex and thoughtful (and good) as it was. To say that it had a lot of swearing, however, would be an understatement; half the movie was muted.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Maledicte » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:37 am

Just watched WANTED. It was enjoyable. Felt like a Fight Club ripoff at the beginning though. Danny Elfman should write/sing more songs for movies, the title menu song is CATCHY.
Maledicte

Postby GhostontheNet » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

I just finished watching Batman Returns, Vincent, and Frankenweenie.
GhostontheNet

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:55 pm

The Others 8/10
Not as good as The Devil's Backbone, but still very good.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Cognitive Gear » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:38 pm

Dark City- Director's cut.

The director's cut of this movie is 10x better than the theatrical. It went from a movie I really enjoyed to one of my favorite movies of all time. Wow.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:52 pm

You've convinced me. I really enjoyed the original. I'll have to check out the Director's Cut.
Thanks mate!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Cognitive Gear » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:13 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1275165) wrote:You've convinced me. I really enjoyed the original. I'll have to check out the Director's Cut.
Thanks mate!

Word of warning: There's not a whole lot of additional footage, really. (Though the little that there is allows for greater characterization) The biggest change is that the voice over at the beginning of the movie is removed, preventing it from taking away from the mystery of the film.

So if you've seen it before, pretend that you don't know the big secrets of the movie.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

Cognitive Gear

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:19 pm

Yeah, I was a bit peeved that Alex Proyas was told (by the producers) to release it with the freaking twist at the very beginning.
Glad they changed it to it's intended format.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby ich1990 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:54 pm

Edward Scissorhands

Delightfully morose. Johnny Depp plays all the best weirdos.
ich1990

Postby Lil_Ninja » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:18 pm

Invincible :D
[SIZE="5"][color="Blue"]~[/color][color="Lime"]K[/color][color="Blue"]Y[/color][color="Lime"]L[/color][color="blue"]L[/color][color="lime"]A[/color][color="blue"]H[/color][color="lime"]A[/color][color="blue"]N[/color][color="blue"]~[/color][/SIZE]
[color="cyan"][SIZE="5"]42[/SIZE][/color]
[color="royalBlue"][SIZE="1"]The meaning of life,
the universe,
and everything.[/SIZE][/color]
Lil_Ninja

Postby Cognitive Gear » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:29 pm

Mirrormask

This movie was bizarrely good. The world portrayed in it is incredibly imaginative, as one would expect from a fusion of Neil Gaiman, Dave McKean and the Jim Henson company. The story could have used a few touch ups here and there, but it was very enjoyable overall.

Cognitive Gear

Postby GhostontheNet » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:51 am

ich1990 (post: 1275291) wrote:Edward Scissorhands

Delightfully morose. Johnny Depp plays all the best weirdos.
Fancy that, I watched Edward Scissorhands last night myself.
GhostontheNet

Postby Kkun » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:29 am

[quote="ich1990 (post: 1274767)"]Die Hard

From all that I had heard about it, I didn't expect it to be as complex and thoughtful (and good) as it was. To say that it had a lot of swearing, however, would be an understatement]

Die Hard is probably one of the greatest action movies ever made because it's from an era that still understood what made action movies great:

explosions, profanity, and Bruce Willis in a wifebeater fighting Alan Rickman at Christmas time.

Also, I'm watching THE DARK KNIGHT ON BLU-RAY.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby ich1990 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:19 am

Kkun (post: 1275329) wrote:Die Hard is probably one of the greatest action movies ever made because it's from an era that still understood what made action movies great:

explosions, profanity, and Bruce Willis in a wifebeater fighting Alan Rickman at Christmas time.

As opposed to modern action movies which only have explosions and profanity.

Also, I had no idea that Hans is Snape. That is crazy.
ich1990

Postby Kkun » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:36 pm

ich1990 (post: 1275341) wrote:As opposed to modern action movies which only have explosions and profanity.

Also, I had no idea that Hans is Snape. That is crazy.

Pfft. Modern action films may have explosions and profanity, but most of the time they do it wrong. 80s action films had heart. That's why Die Hard is awesome.
Kkun

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:29 pm

Die Hard is one of the great action movies, and Mirrormask is truly weird but amazing.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby ich1990 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:56 pm

I watched a ton of MST3K shorts. Very amusing.

Kkun (post: 1275384) wrote:Pfft. Modern action films may have explosions and profanity, but most of the time they do it wrong. 80s action films had heart. That's why Die Hard is awesome.

Oh, I was agreeing with you. After being raised on "modern" action films, I was surprised how engaging Die Hard was. I actually cared for the characters in an action movie! Who would have thought it?
ich1990

Postby shade of dae » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:50 pm

I watched Edward Scissorhands with Ich1990 the other night. It was very imaginative and delightfully sarcastic. I was rather surprised when I discovered that my favorite character was the protagonist, since this often it is the supporting characters that I like best.
Since I was so impressed with the movie, I ordered The Nightmare Before Christmas, which I had been meaning to watch but never got around to actually accomplishing that goal. Apparently the edition I ordered has Vincent and Frankenweenie as bonus features, so that should be interesting.
MAL

What call have I to dream of anything?
I am a wolf. Back to the world again,
And speech of fellow-brutes that once were men
Our throats can bark for slaughter: cannot sing.
-C.S. Lewis
shade of dae

Postby GhostontheNet » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:37 am

shade of dae (post: 1275442) wrote:I watched Edward Scissorhands with Ich1990 the other night. It was very imaginative and delightfully sarcastic. I was rather surprised when I discovered that my favorite character was the protagonist, since this often it is the supporting characters that I like best.
Since I was so impressed with the movie, I ordered The Nightmare Before Christmas, which I had been meaning to watch but never got around to actually accomplishing that goal. Apparently the edition I ordered has Vincent and Frankenweenie as bonus features, so that should be interesting.
Ah, good idea, get Burton's most famous work just in time for Christmas along with his first two films. Keep collecting Burton's films, most are very readily available at inexpensive prices and well worth the time and effort. Indeed, I guess you could say that I basically grew up on Tim Burton's films like Burton grew up on films with Vincent Price. Keep an eye out for opportunities to watch movies with Ich1990, he has very good taste in cinema. Oh, by the way, if you don't mind me asking, what exactly is your relation to Ich1990?
GhostontheNet

Postby shade of dae » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:02 am

GhostontheNet (post: 1275463) wrote:Ah, good idea, get Burton's most famous work just in time for Christmas along with his first two films. Keep collecting Burton's films, most are very readily available at inexpensive prices and well worth the time and effort. Indeed, I guess you could say that I basically grew up on Tim Burton's films like Burton grew up on films with Vincent Price. Keep an eye out for opportunities to watch movies with Ich1990, he has very good taste in cinema. Oh, by the way, if you don't mind me asking, what exactly is your relation to Ich1990?

Yes, I thought that The Nightmare Before Christmas would be a very welcome change from the usual cheesy Christmas movies. Also, when I looked up Vincent and Frankenweenie on wikipedia after becoming curious about them from your post, it became obvious that I would enjoy both of the shorts.

As an answer to your query about Ich1990 and I, he is my older brother/best friend, so actually, it is very rare that we don't watch movies together.

As a sidenote, Ich was the first person to actually see your post this morning, and he made sure to tell everyone that you think he has good taste in cinema, becuase my parents are not very fond of the dark and often depressing movies he brings home for all of us to watch.

However, I will let you know that it was my idea to watch Edward Scissorhands, as well as a few other movies that he has posted about here, so don't let him fool you into thinking that it was all "his" great taste in movies.
MAL

What call have I to dream of anything?
I am a wolf. Back to the world again,
And speech of fellow-brutes that once were men
Our throats can bark for slaughter: cannot sing.
-C.S. Lewis
shade of dae

Postby GhostontheNet » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:56 am

shade of dae (post: 1275479) wrote:Yes, I thought that The Nightmare Before Christmas would be a very welcome change from the usual cheesy Christmas movies. Also, when I looked up Vincent and Frankenweenie on wikipedia after becoming curious about them from your post, it became obvious that I would enjoy both of the shorts.

As an answer to your query about Ich1990 and I, he is my older brother/best friend, so actually, it is very rare that we don't watch movies together.

As a sidenote, Ich was the first person to actually see your post this morning, and he made sure to tell everyone that you think he has good taste in cinema, becuase my parents are not very fond of the dark and often depressing movies he brings home for all of us to watch.

However, I will let you know that it was my idea to watch Edward Scissorhands, as well as a few other movies that he has posted about here, so don't let him fool you into thinking that it was all "his" great taste in movies.
Well, great movies can run in the family too, though in your case so far I only have 1 great movie and 1 great anime (Witch Hunter Robin) that I know about to go off of. Maybe you should start posting in this thread more often yourself. So after reading my post your brother went about the house informing everyone that in spite of the local critics he does, in fact, have great taste in movies? Well, myself being a Goth and a tragic optimist, I can't say that media that is dark and depressing necessarily bothers me as much as it does other people. All the same, around my house, it is fair to say that my movie collection is widely feared and revered, though this doesn't always translate into a willingness to watch movies with me. Oh, by the way, has Ich1990 introduced you to my Internet radio station, Batcave Redemption Radio? I have a feeling you might enjoy listening to it.
GhostontheNet

Postby Kkun » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:48 am

ich1990 (post: 1275430) wrote:

Oh, I was agreeing with you. After being raised on "modern" action films, I was surprised how engaging Die Hard was. I actually cared for the characters in an action movie! Who would have thought it?

Ah, my bad. I didn't mean to get snarky! Seriously, though, Die Hard is good. If you liked it, you should watch Lethal Weapon, too. It's engaging in a funny way. The first RoboCop also has this bizarrely brilliant satire of 80s culture that works incredibly well.
Kkun

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:32 pm

GhostontheNet, so Witch Hunter Robin is also good?
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:09 pm

Witch Hunter Robin is one of my favorite animes so if you want my opinion ^_^

Last movie I watched was Edward Scissorhands as well. I always watch it around Christmas so I felt it was time to pull that out the other day.

Hey, I was gonna rent Dark City. I've been meaning to see it for years and was planning on renting it when I take back my online movies back to the store (its been recommended to me a hundred times since even when it was still in theatres but I just always seem to forget about it). I saw you guys posting about an extended edition though. What would be the better one to get for a first viewing? I was very glad I saw the original Donnie Darko before the directors cut came out as I felt the DC spoiled a lot and took away a lot of the mystery and was more for those who had already saw the original. So I wanna see the one that would better suit a first viewing with absolutely zero knowledge of what to expect.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Spirit_Wolf8356 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:10 pm

[color="DarkOrchid"] I'm currently watching Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. I just got done watching Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Hooray Saturday night channel browsing. [/color]

The choice has been made. There's no looking back. I won't let up, back up, give up, or shut up. My focus clear. My path is straight. My God, reliable. I'm a disciple of Christ.

Gods plan is like the sun. its too big and bright to look at directly, and sometimes the rain clouds cover it, but sometimes the plan dapples through the clouds and we can see beautiful glimpses of what he has in store for us.
Spirit_Wolf8356

Postby GhostontheNet » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:34 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1275570) wrote:GhostontheNet, so Witch Hunter Robin is also good?
Very, especially for a patient film viewer like yourself. Witch Hunter Robin is one on those Animes that doesn't move along with an action-packed pace, but instead has a lot of character development and subtle emotional depth. The characters are really compelling, while the atmosphere is just the right blend of darkness, hope, and redemption. For this reason, I consider it to be one of my top ten favorite animes.

That being said, I'm working on watching The Tommorow Show With Tom Snyder: Punk & New Wave.
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:29 pm

I just finished watching the remastered Sleeping Beauty.
GhostontheNet

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:42 pm

Thanks Scarecrow and GhostontheNet, I'll definitely check out Witch Hunter Robin then.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby GhostontheNet » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:06 pm

I just finished watching Sherlock Hound Vol. 1 and The Cat Returns.
GhostontheNet

Postby Danderson » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:14 pm

Just briefly caught the last half of Horton Hears a Who....While at times kiddie (duh) still very good message and great movie overall...
Danderson

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment