Running

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Running

Postby haru_bay_nay » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:26 pm

I didn't see any existing threads with this topic, and since it's cross-country season, I thought I'd make one myself.

Seems like very few people actually enjoy running, but it feels great once you're done. I run cross-country and track. Does anyone run(whether it's competitively, for fun, or both)?
"A chicken is a bird that is harvested for food." -Matthew Bench, an autistic kid in my school who gives the greatest advice. XD

"I love lamp." -Brick Tamland (Anchorman)

Otaku10 wrote:I won't release your hand even if I sweat, forever.
haru_bay_nay

Postby ClosetOtaku » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:09 pm

I'm in the Army, so I don't have much choice. However, last fall, I started running more for fun, and completed my first (voluntary) 10K race here in Seoul. I'm thinking of trying for the half-marathon when it comes around again in October. Not competitively, of course, just for "fun". It's fun to set a goal and accomplish it!
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby Ssjjvash » Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:50 am

OH BOY!! A THREAD ABOUT RUNNING!!
I loooovvee to run! I just thought I liked all the dif. sports out there, but in the end I discovered I just really like to run. Even though I'm not an athlete at it, I still love it.
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone
And so hold on when there is nothing left in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!' ...you'll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling

Satan, bite the dust!Image

"You are not who your mistakes say you are; you are not the sum of your failures!"---Rev. Billy Miller

Proverbs 18:24
Ssjjvash

Postby haru_bay_nay » Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:51 am

Wow! A 10k?! That's awesome!! I've never done anything like that! I used to hate running because I was forced into it, too(I have to participate in all sports at my school except softball), but now I enjoy it immensely. When you start your run, it seems like it will never end. But when it's done, you feel like you can do anything!

And Ssjjvash, if you like it so much, you could surely be good at it. Running is a kind-of a thing that, if you practice enough, you can be great! ^_^
"A chicken is a bird that is harvested for food." -Matthew Bench, an autistic kid in my school who gives the greatest advice. XD

haru_bay_nay

Postby Gypsy » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:29 pm

We have a thread about it somewhere .. I just need to find it! *goes digging*

Bummer, I can't find it. :sweat: Oh well. Anyway, I used to run xcountry before I discovered soccer.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby haru_bay_nay » Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:36 pm

Cool! Cross-country must be killer in Maine. O.O All those trees!!! *lol*

I have my first meet of the year tomorrow! I'm kind-of scared, but I'm glad I qualified! Please pray for our success! ^_^

haru_bay_nay

Postby shooraijin » Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:42 pm

Good luck! Ganbatte ne!
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby panegryst » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:05 pm

I love running too.

coincedentally, so do the girls of Bernardelli Insurance Group, Ltd. (attached)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Reason is the Devil's harlot."
-Martin Luther

I'll stand for nothing less
Or never stand again
-Chevelle, 'The Clincher'

Image Image
panegryst

Postby Yojimbo » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:22 pm

I run for recreation, it's good training.
"You can't sit on the fence when it comes to Jesus, Satan owns the fence." Mark Cahill

2-151 D Co. Infantry (Air Assault)
Yojimbo

Postby Kisa » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:08 pm

I don't like running but for my Lacrosse team we have to do it . . . *cries*
O well, it keeps you in shape ^^
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby haru_bay_nay » Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:36 pm

Woo! We got first place! ^-^ SO HAPPY!!! :dance:

shooraijin- Thanks!

panegryst- Yes, indeed they do! :lol:

Yojimbo and KisaTohru- Good thing it's so healthy to run. If it wasn't, I'd be sueing my school for making us run in 100 degree weather!! (Lacross, huh? That's so cool! :rock: )

haru_bay_nay

Postby Kkun » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:37 pm

I love to run. I really started doing it a lot about three weeks ago and I try to do about a mile a day, minimum(it's usually me running about 7/10 of the mile, and walking that other 3/10). Does anyone know of any good stretches you can do before and after you're done running? My calf muscles kill me for about an hour or fifty after I finish running. Any suggestions?
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Ssjjvash » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:44 pm

haru_bay_nay wrote:Woo! We got first place! ^-^ SO HAPPY!!! :dance:

^_^ Congratulations!!!!
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone
And so hold on when there is nothing left in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!' ...you'll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling

Satan, bite the dust!Image

"You are not who your mistakes say you are; you are not the sum of your failures!"---Rev. Billy Miller

Proverbs 18:24
Ssjjvash

Postby Kisa » Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:13 pm

Since we have done it for lacrosse now for the past week, I am soooo sore! We even did Indian relays (?) the other day . . . I can barely walk . . . but I do feel good ^^'
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Spiritsword » Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:28 pm

I've run for quite awhile. My dad got me started in Jr. High and I ran CC in HS (but really only because my HS didn't have soccer, otherwise that would've been my Fall sport). I trailed off in college but started up again awhile back. I've been continuing to run for some time now.

It's really a mixed bag for me. I run 4 times a week or so for 30 min 3-4 miles a time. I rarely feel "good" either while running or after I'm done. I run to stay in shape, basically. I'm not really built for long distance running, though, and it's exhausting to me. So it takes a lot of self-discipline for me, and I'm getting somewhat burnt out right now (also because I run alone--it would be more fun if I had someone to run with). Since walking and biking just don't give me enough of a workout, I stick with running.

It will be better once Fall weather hits. Fall and Spring are great times to run. My body can't take over 90 degree heat indexes anymore, I flirt with heat exhaustion every time. I'd rather run in Winter than really hot Summer weather.

As for stretches, put your hands against a wall , put your feet out behind you, so it looks like you're trying to push over the wall, keep one foot flat and put the other forward about halfway to the wall, then lean a bit and push, till you feel your calf stretching. Repeat with other leg. Also, toe touches (standing) with your legs crossed to stretch out one calf, then cross the legs the other way (L in front of R, then R in front of L) and touch the floor (or toes) again. Those are the best ways I know to stretch those calves. ^_^
Spiritsword

Postby Zedian » Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:21 pm

I was actually on a roll for a while there, I would run every night practically. And during the course of each run I would average about 2 - 2 1/2 miles, but since school has started I haven't had the time to do it.

: (
Zedian

Return to General Entertainment