I, Robot

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

I, Robot

Postby JediSonic » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:26 pm

is it just me or does this movie look pretty cool?

And the will smith thing reminds me of MIB :lol:

http://www.irobotmovie.com/english/trailer3/index.html
JediSonic

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:31 pm

i tihnk its gonna be good. It will reander a laugh, considering will smith is in it
Shao Feng-Li

Postby madphilb » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:34 pm

Hopefully it'll be good... not sure how funny it'll be though.... I think this is the movie that AI should have been.

I might just have to track down the original collection of short stories and read them, if for no other reason that it's a classic.
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby Keely » Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:16 am

I have been waiting for this movie for so long! It's based on the book by Isaac Azimov, creater and father of what we consider Robots to be in modern Sci-Fi. Without his book "I, Robot" and several others bu him, our concept of movie and fictional robots would be vastly different, and movies like Terminator and The Matrix may not have been made. Kudos to Azimov and they better not screw up this movie.
Love it seems made flying dreams so hearts could soar . . .
Keely

Postby Pent » Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:58 am

I think it looks pretty cool. I don't know if I'm going to see it though. My friends are all gone on like vacations and other things.
Pent

Postby shooraijin » Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:08 am

<pedantic>Actually, it's Asimov :sweat: </pedantic>
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby JediSonic » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:33 pm

Sorry if you find this dissappointing, Keely, but..

Actually, this film is not based on Asimov's story collection. It is based on an original script called "Hardwired," once set-up at Disney with director Bryan Singer. Fox picked up the rights to the script for Alex Proyas, and only later was the project renamed "I, Robot" to take advantage of the brand name. Jeff Vintar rewrote his original story to act as a "prequel" to a potential series of I, Robot films. For example, this film introduces us to a young Susan Calvin, etc. But saying that this is an "adaptation of Asimov" is only likely to upset fans. It isn't. It's an original story with some characters and concepts added from Asimov. Actually, it's probably closer in concept to Eando Binder's classic story, "I, Robot," from 1939--this is where the publishers of Asimov's collection later got the name, against Asimov's objections. That story--which inspired Asimov--was one of the first robot stories to treat robots as something other than monsters. It was about a robot accused of killing its creator. In an odd way, the title has come full circle

--http://www.hollywoodnorthreport.com/pages/insideirobot.htm

If anyone else wants to see more trailers and info, you should go there too!
JediSonic

Postby fayefaye » Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:19 pm

I saw I robot last night for the second time and I concluded that It's the first or second best movie I've seen this summer.I love it for the fact that it actually has a good storyline and good action.When it comes to summer movies,I don't really mind rather or not it has a real storyline that's why I was surprised that I could use my brain for this one.I LOVE Sonny!!! :dance:
fayefaye

Postby termyt » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:35 pm

Cool or not, it is nothing like Asimov's "I, Robot." Not even close. Not that that should detract from anyone's enjoyment, but I know an Asimov fan who was terribly disappointed.
termyt

Postby Kinkosami » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:44 pm

I thought the movie looked stupid, until I went and saw it with some friends. I was actually pretty surprised, they did a really good job with it.

I liked it, a lot.
*~My Signature Image~*
Look at it, you'll be glad you did!

[Minitokyo][FanFiction]

~CLICK HERE~
Kinkosami

Postby Link Antilles » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:17 pm

Synopsis:

Asimov: "Let's explore the moral complexities around
creating a self-aware machine intelligence in our own image, then treating it like a slave or second-class citizen."

Hollywood: "Let's make a film about the moral compl... just kidding! Let's make a film about WH3N R0B0TZ 4TT4CK!!!!!1!"

Still, I thought it was really good. Will Smith played his part very well, IMO.

But...
I will say this, I didn't like the ending that much. I wish Hollywood stop leaving open endings, and put more closure in the endings... stoping trying to leave openings for sequels and more money.
Link Antilles

Return to General Entertainment