Sorry, Don't know where to put this. HELP!!

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Sorry, Don't know where to put this. HELP!!

Postby idiotninja » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:39 pm

Ok, so i couldn't figure out where under theology this should go as i can't get to the "theology discussions" area of the forums. And i also don't see a movie section. So for now i'll put it here. (until someone moves it that is) So i just saw Hellboy and i don't know what to think about it. it is really REALLY Weird.

Let me first say that i don't believe that just anything occult is satanic, unchristian, demonic, etc... I believe that as long as you just watch it it isn't bad (therefore i have no problem with harrypotter either, but that is a whole different thread). i beleive that when you read a book or watch a movie with the intent to try to mimic it or learn how to do that kind of thing that it is "bad". i do have an exception to this rule of mine and that is for books, movies, gathering, etc, etc, that have only the devil's work that can come out of it. :rant: For example, i have a friend that has a copy of the necronomicon. :?: (I think that its origins are wiccan) Yes i pray for him every day. when he showed it to me, i couldn't touch it. there was something completely evil emminated from its very cover. I kid you not. Also he says he is a Christian :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: which really bugs me.

But I digress. I believe that books like the necronomicon and other media with its purpose are Deffinately not christian, stanaic, demonic, or whatever you want to call it.

:?: So am i wrong in saying that Hellboy is not Christian entirely, but not Satanic? :?:
Philippians 4:13- :rock:
I can do all things through christ who strengthens me.
idiotninja

Postby Ashley » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:14 pm

First, I'm moving this to the movies section.

Secondly, hmm, well I don't know honestly. It does fall in that middle ground that uses Christian imagery without Christian backing, but nor is it straight out satanic either. I guess you could just say it was secular. I think it sort of falls in the same category as some anime titles like Kaito St. Tail or Angelic Layer--titles that use Christian imagery/symbolism without really being Christian, but nor are they mocking of it or outright satanical either. Is that wrong? Is it right? Well, I think that depends on you, your perceptions of it, and what the Lord lays on your heart about it.
Ashley

Postby Archan » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:37 pm

Ugh,

I just didn't like Hellboy. I mean, it was a good popcorn movie with lots of special effects and eye candy, but that was it. The original ideal takes alot of twist from the book of Revelation (Hellboy and the beast of the apocolypse for one) as well as takes the preimse of being impregnated by a demon and having it not be a big deal (This deals with the Nephalim in the old testament, and the real orgins of helloby are discribed as so in the comic), so yeah, I just never was a Hellboy fan because it just misused sooooooooooo much material that was taken from the bible. Uh, what a waste.

Oh, sorry, didn't mean to just jump in there like that. hopefully I didn''t cause more harm then good. :hits_self

God bless,
Archan
1 Peter 5:10 "But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you."
Archan

Location: Hold on, "Baratta Klaatu Nikto" Now Currently fighting evil, saving puppies, that sort of

Postby fayefaye » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:31 am

I think it falls in the middle too.I liked it and personally I think if they would have just taken the "hell" thing out of it,I would have loved it.I know they couldn't take it out because it's based on him being from hell,but I felt the same way being torn between the the themes.
fayefaye

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:32 am

I thought HP Lovecraft made up the Necronomicon... I have yet to hear of a wiccan perform a resurrection...

As for Hellboy, I guess it doesn't bug me... I haven't seen it yet, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Technomancer » Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:01 am

Yeah, Lovecraft made up the Necronomicon for use in some of his short stories; it's entirely fictional. I suppose some people are gullible enough to buy "genuine" copies. Come to think of it, the "ancient gods" that were the ultimate villains in Hellboy certainly owed a debt to Lovecraft as well.

Anyways, I liked Hellboy it was a good movie. It really didn't have anything to do with Revelations, or the Old Testament. Ultimately, I thought it was about free will- the power to choose who you are. Hellboy is a 'demon', but was also raised like a human, and as a Catholic. In the end he overcomes his nature to be who he really is (I liked that rosary bit).
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Return to General Entertainment