Star Wars (Past and future.)

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Star Wars (Past and future.)

Postby Link Antilles » Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:09 pm

Well, I took a quick look around the movie forums and what did I see? No threads on the good 'ol Star Wars movies, as far as I could see! So, being the Star Wars geek I am, I felt it was my duty to start one.

So, this is the Star Wars movie discussion thread! So, who's your favorite hero? villain? which is your favorite movie? why do you like Star Wars? or why do you not like it?

Me, my favorite character is Han Solo. Harrison Ford is one of my favorite actors, sadly he's done a poor job as of late... example being Hollywood Homicide. :shake: Solo kind of fits my personality too and my best friend is just like Luke. (Chewie is defiantly my old dog a husky wolf mix.)

Villain, Vader. He's one of the coolest villains, minus the past Anakin whiny self. (The Imperial Royal Guards are awesome too.) Too me Vader is one of the most memorable movie villains, just by his breathing, even.

Neutral Character, the Jawa, " Utinni!" The Jawas are sooo funny. It's funny in "A New Hope" in one of the scenes one of the Jawas says something that sounds like "Where is the Window cleaner?"

Movie, The Classic Trilogy. From the battle of Yavin to the battle Endor, I loved it all. There's really not much I don't like about the Classic movies, even the corny stuff. Yes, even the Ewoks... Ewoks rule.... CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT WHY. http://download.theforce.net/theater/tie/tietrailer.mov

Why do I like Star Wars? It's your classic battle of good vs. evil. It also reminds me of WW2, even. Hitler is like Palpatine, slowly rising to power control the governmental system. Vader is like Himmler. General Veers is Rommel. Also, lots of the gun props. in classic Star Wars movies are modified WW2 guns. My favorite movie composer, John Williams, does the music. I can't imagine an Imperial Star Destroyer's long, triangular silhouette without hearing ominous triplet rhythms. I love all the starships, from the balanced X-wings to the howling Tie fighters. And we can’t forget lightsabers, especially the green ones! I'm also a fan of the expand universe.....

What don't I like? The prequel, I abhor them....... well, the Episode 1 lightsaber fight was wicked awesome! Qui-gon cool too and he dies! Why?
Sadly, my childhood was shattered when Anakin first yelled "Yippee!" and I’ve been piecing it together since........... anyways, I really don't feel like talking er.. ranting about the prequel, but be my guest to continue where I left off!

To get my mind off that.... I have to mention Knights of the Old Republic. If you are a Star Wars fan and you like RPGs.... you have to play this game! It's like an interactive movie... with some well-done plot twists. My only complaint is the glitches on the PC version. They don't really affect me, but it prevents my friends from playing a totally rewarding Star Wars game experience. It brought me back to Star Wars! Before I let you guys sound off, I most mention my favorite character additions to the Star Wars franchise that Knights of the Old Republic brought us... HK-47! The coolest droid evar! Imagine if C-3PO snapped one day and became a homicidal, yet polite maniac. Trust me, it's hilarious, I never laughed out-loud in a video game til' then.

So, I'm done rambling, I could go on for years... trust me. Your turn! Sound off! Let's talk Star Wars, folks!
Link Antilles

Postby Ashley » Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:27 pm

Granted I am not as pronounced a fan as some others on this board might be *cough Link cough*, but nonetheless I can get downrighty geeky about star wars like a good ol' fan too. @^_^@

Don't believe me? I can play some star wars themes on my flute(s). My brother and I had a "star wars fan club" where yes, we actually wrote to George Lucas (got a reply too!), drooled over films, and subscribed to a magazine/rpg thingy...oh we were sad, devoted children.

My favorite's list:
Favorite hero: oh man, I guess if I had to chose...Han. Don't get me wrong, I do love Luke too (save the whiney farmboy), but Harrison Ford is my personal favorite actor (although right on Link, his movies as of late sucketh much--hollywood homicide was horrific, and his personal life disappoints me greatly). But still, it's Harrison in his prime. And plus, Han was just a loveable ruffian.

Favorite villain: Hmm, probably boba fett. The idea of bounty hunters always appealed to me.

Favorite movie: probably Return of the Jedi. So many beautiful scenes come to mind...the endor world, the fight with vader before the emperor...sigh...I loved it. And plus everything came together for a great ending.

Least favorite: I have to agree, the prequels really lack the luster the originals had. But I don't think they are *too* terrible...do I wish they didn't exist? Eh, maybe. But I can think of some good aspects too, like Qui-Gon and Amidala. I think it's just too blatant that they were trying to make money by leeching off a franchise, but I liked them anyway.

Why do you like Star Wars? Hmm...why do I like star wars. That's a great question. I don't know really, it's just a great series to me. Everything worked well: plot, actors, settings, believability.

Here's another question to tag on there: what do you think of the remastering the originals not too long ago? Personally I can remember my dad taking us to see them in theaters. Some parts were ok, like touching up on the Mos Eisely landspeeer; some parts were great, like the new ending sequence in return of the jedi; some parts were horribly cheesy, like the burping creature in ROTJ. But overall, I liked them as well.
Ashley

Postby Link Antilles » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:55 pm

Granted I am not as pronounced a fan as some others on this board might be *cough Link cough*

Me? :sweat: ;)

[quote="Ashley"]
Here's another question to tag on there: what do you think of the remastering the originals not too long ago? Personally I can remember my dad taking us to see them in theaters. Some parts were ok, like touching up on the Mos Eisely landspeeer]

I liked it when they went back that first time and cleaned up the films. The old VHS tapes I owned from the 80s where showing their age proudly; with entire scenes missing, snow, rolling, and the occasional high-pitched squeaky voices (that was entertaining, though.). Then a few years later, I was so excited when they were re-released it in theaters. Yep, I remember going.... I loved it all from the THX logo to the rolling credits. I really enjoyed the Special Edition. It re-sparked it..... yeah, the cheesy stuff like the burping creature was odd. The part how they added more life to Mos Eisely, like the Jawas on the Ruto and the Dewback was cool, but the coolest part to me in that scene was when the camera panned out over the city and you see the "Outrider"(from the Shadows of the Empire book and N64 game.) fly by. The new ending of RotJ was above all my favorite and John Williams did an excellent job at reworking the end theme. Yeah, the entire ending is my favorite group of scenes in any movie. The epic space battle with Wedge Antilles, Admiral Ackbar, and Lando. Then, when the A-wing smashes into the bridge of the behemoth Super Star destroyer.

"Sir, bridge shields are down" - Imp. Officer
"Intensify forward fire power. I don't want anything getting through! I said intensify forw..." - Admiral Piett
"Too late!" - Imp. Officer
*insert your custom explosion sound here*

And the lightsaber battle, although Luke is just swinging like a maniac, the scene is awesome and wouldn’t be the same without the dark emperor’s theme playing in the background.

What I'm really looking forward to it the DVDs! YAY! September 21st!
http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/news/2004/02/news20040210.html
Link Antilles

Postby VEGETA » Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:04 am

So, who's your favorite hero?
I dont really have one

villain?
Toss up between Boba Fett, Darth Vader, and Darth Maul. Maul was definatly a sith. he paced around. Was alwayts on the move and chaotic. As far as the behavior i would expect from a truth sith. Maul was definatly more a sith than vader.

If you have to ask why Boba Fett, you need to just leave now.

which is your favorite movie?
Return of the Jedi. I love the scene at the end when Vader has to choose between the Emperor or his Son.

why do you like Star Wars?
I dunno. Probably because its a medievel story told in a sci-fi setting.

The Re-releases?
I personaly am indiffrent. Some thiongs where good, some things where bad. I thought they where perfect from the begining. On ething i HATED was the change to the sarlaac. I always like the idea of its mouth being a pit and not have an actualy mandable(sp).

You push a man too far and sooner or later he pushes back. Something wicked this way comes. Alexander Thomason at large.

Im not popular at the zboard. IM INFAMOUS!!!

I am an American Soldier.
I will always place my mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.
I am an american soldier.
I live by this code.

Im good enough to die for you but im not good enough to be your friend?
VEGETA

Postby Technomancer » Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:19 am

Like most people here, my favourite protaganist is Han Solo. My favourite villain would have to be Darth Vader, noone else in the film really conveys the same sense of menace as he does. Although Grand Moff Tarkin is pretty good too.

None of the new trilogy really measure up. Where the first series had a great mythic feel to it, the second is just crass. And filled with annoying characters.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby JediSonic » Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:30 am

My friend has a book with ep. II music written for the trombone, so whenever we visit we'll play that good ol' John Williams stuff :)
JediSonic

Postby cbwing0 » Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:18 am

Favorite hero: Han Solo. He is definitely the coolest, although I don't mind Luke. Obi-Wan (old age) is probably my second favorite.

Favorite Villain: Darth Vader.

Favorite Movie: Return of the Jedi. Don't hate me for saying this, but my second favorite is probably Episode 2. I especially liked the fight in the arena (with my favorite song from the entire series in the background). ROTJ does an excellent job of bringing everything together for a memorable conclusion.

Why do I like it? First, it has lots of great lines. The acting is also top-notch as far as sci-fi movies go. I liked it a lot more when I was younger, but perhaps the new boxed set will rekindle my love of the films. ;)

I saw all three of the special editions in theaters. I have to say that I don't remember the different ending to ROTJ though. :sweat:

As for the prequels, I like them. :P They are definitely not the same as the originals, but they are good in their own right.
cbwing0

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:24 pm

S--S--Star Wars thread!! <fangirl mode>

Although I saw the movies once when I was a little kid, I didn't remember them very well. But when the Special Edition trilogy was released in theatres, my best friend invited me to go with her family to see all three of them. And it ROCKED! Since I hadn't seen the movies enough, I didn't notice what was new and what wasn't, and it was just like...so cool. I've been a fangirl ever since, though I've cooled off a lot, especially after the new movies....

So, who's your favorite hero? villain? which is your favorite movie? why do you like Star Wars?

Favorite Heroes
· Obi-Wan Kenobi. He just rocks. Granted, they haven't done much with his character in the new movies, which I think is an injustice, but...he still rocks.
· Han Solo. Come on, everybody loves Han :lol: I like the uh...chemistry between Han and Leia. :p
· Artoo-detoo. :lol:

Favorite Villain
· Darth Vader. He's all dark and evil and stuff, but he's cool like dat, yo. Actually, I think the evil is a vast improvement from his former "good"ness...*thinks of Anakin Skywalker and scowls; "and we all thought -Luke- was whiny..."* And he like, totally redeemed himself in the end.

Why I Like (the old) Star Wars
· I dunno. It's just awesome. :p
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Orange Kitten » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:54 pm

Link Antilles wrote:I really enjoyed the Special Edition. It re-sparked it

Better hang onto those original SW tapes though, they are never going to release the originals ever again. Might be worth some money some day.

I personally didn't like too many of the added scenes. I did enjoy the cleaned up video though and added special effects on the explosions. But some of the entire scenes added were just a tad too different. (like the added Jabba scene in New Hope with Han... yuck)

Favorite movie: Empire Strikes Back. Best mix of action, romance, comedy, and drama. Cuts back and forth between Luke's training and his fears, the upcoming romance between Han and Leia, all the fight scenes (especially Luke's first fight with Vader) and C-3PO's sarcastic humor is at it's peak. "Oh it's so nice to see a friendly face" "Enchoota" "How rude!" (he's just a jerk in the other movies, and he's waaay too cheasy in the prequals)
And all ends in a climactic down note.

Hated the two prequals thus far, probably will hate the 3rd one too.
"Destroy all that which is evil, so that which is good may flourish" - The Boondock Saints

"Man creates dolls in his own image. If God exists, it's possible that we're all just dolls to him." - Evangelion (episode 22)

AMV.org Profile
Orange Kitten

Postby SwordSkill » Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:25 pm

My favorite hero: no one, really, if i think about it. i like the fact that it's a collective effort on part of the "good guys" and that it's not a one-man team.

Favorite Villain: Vader. there's nothing like a closet angster with conflicting personalities. he's not stereotypical like the other villains in SW in the sense that you can't predict what he's going to do.

Favorite movie: Return of the Jedi. It's the first one i saw, and by this time, everyone's mature enough not to do something incredibly stupid. XD

About the Prequels: Compared to the originals, the plot development for the screenplay is terrible, the characterization is shallow, and the acting could really use a lot of improvement. The graphics however are fantastic and the music by John Williams top notch. Thing is, if it had nothing to do with the earlier trilogy, it could have been nice as a stand-alone, but since it DOES have something to do with the earlier three, i had expected the same intensity and force, but the prequels didn't have it, much to my disappointment.

Why do I like Star Wars?: First off, it's sci-fi, and i'm a sucker for that. True, it's space opera, but i guess sometimes we just need a little faith, lol. XD Two, it has a well-defined universe (but i guess this is thanks to the expanded universe created by the spin-off books and comics). Three, the plot (of the earlier three) was engaging. Four, the character interaction (of the earlier three) was believable and makes you want to be one of them.
*Insert witty saying here*
SwordSkill

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:28 am

I forgot to say that my favorite movie was either A New Hope or Empire Strikes Back. Return of the Jedi was okay, but for some reason it's just not my favorite of the three. Maybe it's those infernal Ewoks...*ducks behind flameproof shield* Bwahaha...

The first movie was just classic. You know, Luke blows up the Death Star, yay, good wins! Victorious ^_- I love the Battle of Yavin.

In ESB, there's Yoda XD And also all the conflict between characters, romance, drama, and just...bad stuff happening at every turn. I love it X3!
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Inferno » Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:46 am

I have a friend who is obsessed with star wars! It can get very annoyinging, but I'm a pretty big star wars fan. I didn't really like Episode 2 very much. acting was horrible. :shady:
"rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Philippians 4:4

METAL!!! :rock:

Member of headbangers united! \m/ >,< \m/

Myspace.com/cal3bsp3ncer
Inferno

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:34 pm

OHH1 i love starwars! i was raised on it thanks to my dad! ironicly though, i own the origanl trilogy epi 2 and not epi 1... which was a my fave. my fave thing bout starwars is how... innnocent it is! it was clear how much anikin and padme loved each other! and did you see them in bed together? I think not! i just wait for movies as inncent as SW to be made, without being entirely stupid.

i think my fave villian was Darth maul. i head the actor reallly idi that martial arts fighting.

luke is about the parfect hero and Solo the perfect partner. (Kesnhin and Sanosuke like)

and of course there's the damsel in deistress, leia whos kinds like kaoru.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby TwilightKissC3 » Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:25 pm

I love Star Wars!!!!!!!!!!!! :grin:
Ever since the day my dad showed the the originals I was hooked!!!! :dizzy: I did not get the opportunity to see it in theatures but when the specials came out they were instantly bought and watched a 1,000 times over. No matter how many times i watch it, it's still soooooo good!!!!

My favorite hero would have to be Solo :rock: he rocked in everything he did and no matter how deep into trouble he was he always got out. And his personallity during the flims was sooo cool. but i agree with everyone else his resent flims have not shown the good side of him

My Favorite Villain is probably Vader /0.0\ . i dont know why though?? it's a mystery :eyeroll:

My Favorite movie deffinately Return of the Jedi. All of the sences were awsome and this is the movies where Luke finally starts to do something right for a change. he's more mature and a real jedi so he rocked in this one. everyone did. and i love the Ewoks they are soooo kawaiii :hug: and awsome at the same time!!!!

the Prequels I would have to say do not do justice to the Star Wars name. The first one the plot was ok but it could have done with some more info and/or plot. Yes we wanted to know the origin but i thought it moved to slow. As for Epi. 2 .. :rant: ..I believe it should not have be made, at least not that way. the fight scenes were pretty awsome and cool but there was practicly not plot or information regarding the originals. It went no were but i do have to say the Yoda fight was wicked awsome and most enjoyable. I just hope Epi. 3 is not a disappointment and totally rocks.

Why do I like Star Wars?~I dont know, maybe it's the characters maybe it's the scenes well whatever it is it rocks and is sooo cool!!!! :thumb:
Image Image
TwilightKissC3

Postby Zilch » Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:03 pm

my fav char...is a tie between Wedge and R2-D2

Fav. villian?...Boba Fett...cause he's so stinking cool-looking!
Fav. Movie? A New Hope. I like landspeeders, alright?
Why do I like Star Wars? because I'm a geek,and I like LOTR, computers, and video games, so I HAVE to like Star Wars, right?
Uh-oh! Your sig have started to move! -- MOES.

I suppose you could find females attracted to you if you stop being bad at flirting. -MSP
Zilch

Postby Kisa » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:25 pm

Oh yea Star Wars! I personally like the older ones better than the new 1 and 2. Han Solo is awesome and so is Old Obi wan. ^_^
Amidala was cool in the first movie (have the dolls) and Chewy and R2D2 are always cool! ;)
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Link Antilles » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:05 am

Dang computer, Sorry, computer glitch, I really didn't mean to post anything or grave dig... my bad, sorry. I was just looking at an old thread. :sweat:
Link Antilles

Return to General Entertainment