Saved

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Saved

Postby SManBeyond » Mon May 24, 2004 7:54 pm

So what do you all think about "Saved"?

Personally, I think that while a satire about the Christian community could be good if done right, this probably will not be a good one. I know that the movie is trying to attack nominal and hypocritical Christianity (oxymorons, I know), and it does some dead-on satire (such as the pastor's stage show and the "Of couse Jesus is white" argument), but some of it seems to be picking at things that don't happen too often in the Christian community. I don't know of too many people that will grab you, tell you that you have an evil spirit, and attempt to exorcise you off the street, particularly not in a Baptist school.

Also, it looks like it's going to promote some bad messages about tolerance and about Jesus.

What I would like to see is either a fair satire that's actually dead-on about cultural Christianity or a satire on society made by Christians.
"Love means to love that which is unlovable; or it is no virtue at all." G. K. Chesterton

Founder of S.T.R.A.W.B.E.R.R.Y. R.H.U.B.A.R.B. P.I.E.

[url=smanbeyond.blogspot.com]My Blog[/url]
SManBeyond

Postby PotBelliedCow » Mon May 24, 2004 9:13 pm

I'm probably going to watch it. Sometimes it's fun to laugh at our own faith (Jesus had to have a sense of humor too), but of course without going too far. Besides, Mandy Moore is in it :)

Eh? :eh:
PotBelliedCow

Postby Inferno » Tue May 25, 2004 12:02 pm

I've never heard of it, you tell me what it's about?
"rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Philippians 4:4

METAL!!! :rock:

Member of headbangers united! \m/ >,< \m/

Myspace.com/cal3bsp3ncer
Inferno

Postby SManBeyond » Tue May 25, 2004 1:05 pm

It's a movie starring Mandy Moore satirizing hypocrisy in a Christian high school. I just found out that it's only getting a limited release, but I figured it would be nice to have some discussion about it anyway since it probably is going to upset a lot of Christians.

You can view the trailer for this movie here:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/mgm/saved/
"Love means to love that which is unlovable; or it is no virtue at all." G. K. Chesterton

Founder of S.T.R.A.W.B.E.R.R.Y. R.H.U.B.A.R.B. P.I.E.

[url=smanbeyond.blogspot.com]My Blog[/url]
SManBeyond

Postby shooraijin » Tue May 25, 2004 3:25 pm

It already has raised a few hackles. The topic can continue as long as people remain civil about it.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue May 25, 2004 6:12 pm

I certainly don't like the previews I've seen... What I particularly don't like is the connections it tries to make... That feeling homosexuality is a sin is on the same level as something like anti-semitism... That we're just bigots for thinking that only Christians will go to heaven... Of course, this is just an echo of all the things people are saying about Christians anyhow. It really bugs me that Mandy Moore is in this (but, then again, that may make me think that this isn't an absolute insult to my faith because Mandy is supposed to be a Christian... She's a friend of a friend, and my friend said he didn't think she'd ever do anything to totally mock Christianity) I'm not liking this so far, and I wouldn't want to see it in the Theaters because I've never walked out of a movie, and I don't want to... It's just a waste of money. I'll wait till it comes on HBO or something, so I can change the channel if I don't like it.

Anyhow, I'm gonna wait for my friend to see it and see if it is as bad as the ads make it out to be. Until then, I just want to forget about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Hitokiri » Tue May 25, 2004 6:30 pm

proably another movie to add to my ever-groing "Do not watch list".
Hitokiri

Postby Solid Ronin » Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:58 pm

Hitokiri wrote:proably another movie to add to my ever-groing "Do not watch list".

I agree with Hitokiri...only it already is apart of the my list
Solid Ronin

Postby ZiP » Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:41 pm

I think its downright crappy to make fun of christianity, whch is what they think they are doing, but they are really making fun of making fun of (I.E. the whole jesus is black thing), so i mgiht see it, dunno.

ZiP
--To Write Love on Her Arms

"That time and absence proves - Rather helps than hurts to love."

"Feelings, emotions, they are good, but they cannot be Love's foundation. When of Love, these things last. When of romance, these things end."

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, it's what you are expected to give -- which is everything."
ZiP

Postby Twilly Spree » Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:43 am

I've been so waiting to see this movie!! I'm seeing it this weekend with my sisters.
Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away.
-Sex in the City
Twilly Spree

Postby Zedian » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:57 pm

It's aroused some interest...only if it is funny. I mean, sometimes I poke a little fun at me and my faith, I dunno it's just all in good fun. But again, if the movie provokes a bad concept of Christianity then I won't see it. I have no problem with taking jokes but if the worst comes out of it then forget it.

I surprisingly liked Mandy Moore's other movies...like All I want.
Zedian

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:08 pm

Actually, this doesn't strike me as a satire in any way, shape or form. More like people trying to cash in on the "Christian Movie" wave. Recently The Passion showed Christian films make money, and one thing Hollywood listens to is money. By making it a satire I think they're trying to appeal to Christian and nonChristian audiances.

But given the low number of movies I seen regardless, there is zero chance I will see this movie.
uc pseudonym

Postby Twilly Spree » Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:44 pm

From what I've read it's about looking at your own Christianity and why you believe things. Also the idea of questioning your own faith as to understand it better.

http://www.savedmovie.com/

Movie site probably has more info then the the trailer, there is a "Christian Guide" that talks a little about what they're out to do.
Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away.
-Sex in the City
Twilly Spree

Postby Lightbringer » Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:20 pm

not interested. I seriously doubt anything good would come of it either.
Lightbringer // Aaron

Image Image
Join up! Darklight-The Chronicles of Tairis epic RPG
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=5233
Lightbringer

Postby Bobtheduck » Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:25 pm

Sorry, the "Christian Guide" didn't convince me. That was just another layer of the mockery. "Let's get Christians to watch this, that would be great! Of course the way to do that is to make them think that this isn't merely a mockery, but we can do it in a slick, subversive way in and of itself by telling them why we hate them, but making it sound like it's merely an authentic reformation..."

When the credits praise the book "The case against God" it isn't about just getting things talked about, and there is no real Christian purpose but instead merely a mockery and belittling of our faith in the guise of a satire about aspects of our culture, many of which really are wrong and need to be taken care of. Despite getting Mandy on board, which gives it an air of legitimacy (but, think of all the Christian actors who have been in questionable movies... One that comes to mind is Mr. T in "Not Another Teen Movie"), this movie is one that paints two pictures... That most christians are sappy, airheaded mystics and that the good half are the ones that don't really care about their faith and worship tolerance and avoid evangelism. Of course, it would be counterproductive for a satire to include the middle ground, but do we need the opposites to be shown so strongly when that's exactly what Hollywood does anyhow? I wish there were more Christian families in movies like the Barclays (Adventures in Odyssey) that are a realistic portrayal (can't say the same for the rest of the odyssey cast), but most end up being super spiritual mystics with no grounding in reality, psycho bible thumpers who blow up abortion clinics, or the ones who didn't care and Christ is just something to call on when there are problems.

Of course, the more accurate portrayals of Christians are never popular, but maybe that's because they still left out important things (due to taboos in the Christian world perhaps?)

As for the movie, it honestly doesnt' interest me more than a bit of anger and frustration, and I don't plan on seeing it. I have friends (Christian friends, even) that loved it, but they also read things like the "DaVinci Code" so they are a little more ok with reading things that come directly against our faith.

Anyone, though, who looks at this movie and doesn't think it is a backlash for "The Passion of The Christ" is fooling themself.

Of course, what are Christians to do? I think we should make a movie that shows Christianity from a Bible believeing (and honoring) Christian's point of view. Show the hypocricy and all the bad and show the good from a Biblical perspective, not from the perspective of making the church more appropriate for the world (I.E. Getting rid of the parts of our faith that say such petty things like "Only way to heaven is through Christ" or "Homosexuality is a sin")

Of course, as I have no way to see this become reality, I am doing little more than dreaming. Maybe I should at least pray for more Christians to take their place in the Media to fill in those sorts of holes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby shooraijin » Sat Jun 12, 2004 2:14 am

The thing that I think is pretty ironic is listening to the stars defend the movie as not offensive to Christians, although they themselves, not being Christians, are not in a tenable position to assess what many Christians would find offensive. One interview with Jena Malone had her gushing about the sincerity of the Christians she met at several P&W gatherings while doing 'research' for the movie, asserting how impressed she was about the depth of their beliefs, and then stating how they couldn't possibly be offended by the film. The impression I got was that she was trying very hard to actually convince herself what she was saying really was true.

I don't know how many people know the basic plot,

[spoiler]which concerns a girl at a Christian conservative school who becomes pregnant and ostracised by her peers when she tries to "turn" her gay boyfriend,[/spoiler]

but it strikes me that it focuses more on human weaknesses than Christ's changing power. In that sense, as a satire, it is less a dissection of American evangelical Christianity than a frank disembowelment.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Iona » Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:06 am

*frown* I really liked Mandy's "A Walk to Remember", even though it did have the message that it was ok to convert/date nonbelievers. Overall, I think that movie was well done and had many more positive messages to it. However, I have been deeply disappointed with her latest movies, which have been flops anyway. "Saved" doesn't look any better to me and I have a question: If the moviemakers were attempting to make this controversial satire, were there pastors involved in the making to ensure Christian beliefs were upheld? Because from what I've seen, they weren't.

I'll wait for the reviews and then rent it on dvd. My friends and I are going to have a girl/discussion night with some movies, including "Mean Girls" to discuss positive and negative messages and opinions.
"I am Kagura!"

Iona

Postby Inferno » Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:28 am

I read the review for this movie the other day, no offense to those who liked this movie. But the review of the movie made me sick. The plot was just disgusting! Ok for those who dont know the plot ill tell you. [spoiler] it basically about this girl whose best friend is gay. so to stop him from being gay, she has sex with him. Then she prays to God that she will not become pregnant. Then of coarse she does. Then she faces the prablames of premature sex[/spoiler] that's the way that I understude it please correct me if im wrong.
"rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Philippians 4:4

METAL!!! :rock:

Member of headbangers united! \m/ >,< \m/

Myspace.com/cal3bsp3ncer
Inferno

Postby Ingemar » Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:18 am

I'm rather hesitant to see this movie. While I know the actions of a few loony, hypocritical Christians cannot stain the image of Christ, I feel (from the previews and the plot synopses) that this will widen the gap between believers and unbelievers and present an appalingly bad misrepresentation of the faith.
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby Twilly Spree » Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:17 pm

It's review (shortened form) from Entertainment Weekly:

"It follows the standard teen-cliques-at-war format of Mean Girls or early John Hughes, except that it's set at a Christian High school. Director-cowriter Brian Dannelly has great fun tweaking hypocisy and absolutism, though not faith itself. Grade B."
-Sex in the City
Twilly Spree

Postby Golden_Griff » Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:08 pm

Ingemar wrote:I'm rather hesitant to see this movie. While I know the actions of a few loony, hypocritical Christians cannot stain the image of Christ, I feel (from the previews and the plot synopses) that this will widen the gap between believers and unbelievers and present an appalingly bad misrepresentation of the faith.

I'm not hesitant at all because I know I won't be seeing. Although it may turn out to be quite entertaining and humorous I have to agree with Ingemar and several others: I think this movie will only output unfavorable results. I think Hollywood uses the Christian faith too lightly in these types of movies.
My art album! (Click Here!) :cool:

Proud member of P.W.M.O.U.W.I.A.T.M.A. : People Who Make Odd and Ugly Words In an Attempt To Make Acronymns.

"You don't have to be great to start, but you do have to start to be great."--Joe Sabah
Golden_Griff

Postby Twilly Spree » Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:47 am

Saw it last night. Loved it.
-Sex in the City
Twilly Spree

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:52 am

Would you care to explain why in more detail? Particularly in regard to the comments in this thread regarding the movie, if you please.
uc pseudonym

Postby Iona » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:54 pm

Please do. I'm interested in your opinion and I promise not to attack you with arguments.
"I am Kagura!"

Iona

Postby Twilly Spree » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:52 pm

It revolves around the idea that you need to notice the log in your own eye. That people sin but that doesn't make them not Christian. It's alot about acceptance and tolerance of others. I found it to have a very Catholic mentality suprisingly. The Jewish girl is constantly bugged to convert and that she's going to hell. Catholics believe that just because one is Jewish doesn't mean you're going to hell.

Even if you don't enjoy it, it opens up a fantastic dialogue.
-Sex in the City
Twilly Spree

Return to General Entertainment