The Last Samurai

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby FireStarter2003 » Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:34 pm

Hiya Ruroken,

You're referring to the bokuto/bokken, right? In the hands of a trained swordsman, they can be lethal. Miyamoto Musashi, for example, was notorious for slaying some of his opponents at duels with bokuto/bokken. They may be used as practice swords, but in the proper hands, they promise to deliver more than a bad headache!
Peace,

Jose

FireStarter2003

Samurai

Postby HwaRang777 » Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:14 pm

I've seen the movie and I thought I got 2x the money worth! The movie was really good, the only part about it I didn't like was Tom Cruise's acting, it was like he was acting like he was acting the character (do you understand?) rather than being the character. And as I'm being a traditonalist and a actual swordsman, don't get a katana unless you are privledged enough in kendo or gumdo (korean sword art) or your just a sword collector (yes, there are such people) It takes a lot of concentration, devotion, and practice to deserve an actual sword or katana (depending on the style of sword arts)
HwaRang777

Postby Destroyer2000 » Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:53 pm

HwaRang777 wrote:I've seen the movie and I thought I got 2x the money worth! The movie was really good, the only part about it I didn't like was Tom Cruise's acting, it was like he was acting like he was acting the character (do you understand?) rather than being the character. And as I'm being a traditonalist and a actual swordsman, don't get a katana unless you are privledged enough in kendo or gumdo (korean sword art) or your just a sword collector (yes, there are such people) It takes a lot of concentration, devotion, and practice to deserve an actual sword or katana (depending on the style of sword arts)

Ah, so you're saying that somone who hasn't had proper training is unworthy to have a katana (European swords are stupid..no Battou-Jutsu)? I have...lets see...a katana, a wakizashi, a dagger, and a broadsword. I also have a few throwing knives, and a few homemade weapons...staffs, and such. There's not a dojo ANYWHERE nearby that I can go to. I pretty much teach myself...through the hard way of learning...first off, if you aren't very, very good with coordination, never throw a dagger in the air and try to catch it by the handle. I did, and it missed, and hit the webbing between my thumb and index finger, slicing it a nice little ways. The stupid dagger wasn't even sharp...oh well. My friend and I both swordfight with each other, and we're about equally matched. Of course, we don't use real swords, we use our staffs and all.
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

[color="Red"]Distance is to Love as Wind is to Fire...it extinguishes the small, and ignites the great. - Unknown[/color]

[color="RoyalBlue"]“Falling in love with someone isn't always going to be easy... Anger... tears... laughter.. It's when you want to be together despite it all. That's when you truly love another. I'm sure of it.â€
Destroyer2000

Postby SwordSkill » Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:26 am

i have to say that my first reaction was, "the last samurai in japan was a an american? riiight." well, so much for historical accuracy, lol. XD

anyway, i think someone told me that the movie was loosely based on the rebellion led by saigo takamori, who is the supposed, true "historically-noted" last samurai of japan. i guess that's a good thing, for some historical foundation.

but the theme of the movie still reminded me too much of James Clavell's "Shogun." >.< >.<
SwordSkill

Yes!!!

Postby Eden » Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:04 pm

It took so long for 'The Last Samuari' to come to good ol' Australia, Darwin. I saw it last night and I cried so much :red:and I'm a guy :grin: This was one of the best movies I had ever seen. I know that Tom Cruise get's a lot of crap about his films and all but I think he suited the role perfectly and this time the movie didn't end up like some Hollywood film where all the characters "lived happily ever after". The movie had a good theme as well about prejudices against other races and cultures. I didn't think this movie was to violent at all compared to say black hawk down and saving private ryan and there was no sex at all!!!
EDEN: It's an endless world.
Eden

Postby glitch1501 » Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:13 am

does anyone know when the dvd is coming out?

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby Da Rabid Duckie » Sat Feb 21, 2004 1:13 pm

May 4, 2004.

The movie had a different effect on me, really. It kinda broke me in half spiritually. See, I've got a calling for Japanese ministry, and I've been rather lax in preparing for that. I skipped out on my language studies for a while, among other things that I was needing to do to prepare for it. So when I saw the movie, it reminded me what I was supposed to be doing and the result was one broken waterfowl. Of course, there's much more to the story but that's the short version.
Da Rabid Duckie -- Taking Over Your Country In Three Posts Or Less.

Join the Proud Nation of Temuoplis! Koei, Temuoplis!

Law of Japanese Animation #11 (Law of Inherent Combustibility)
Everything explodes. Everything.

In both real life and video games,
anything can be solved through the mass application of explosives. -- The Duck

Da Rabid Duckie, concerning Gypsy wrote:Gypsy doesn't realize this, but she's ditching whomever she's with and we're getting married. Uh huh. Yeah. Lil bro Zilch can be the best man, it'll be an explosive ceremony. Everyone is invited! We'll serve poutine at the reception, Straylight can DJ, and Shatterheart can start a mosh pit!
Gypsy, in acceptance wrote:Explosives and poutine? Alright!
Hey... she said it... :p
Da Rabid Duckie

Previous

Return to General Entertainment