Windows 7 Printer Driver Problem

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Windows 7 Printer Driver Problem

Postby ClosetOtaku » Thu May 06, 2010 9:44 am

Since I can't seem to get much out of either HP or Lexmark, I'll see if anyone has had similar issues here...

Just bought a new HP DV4-2165dx laptop as a sort of "interim" between my old laptop (provided by my workplace) and any new laptop that I might get courtesy of the workplace again later this summer.

It has Windows 7 and uses a 64-bit operating system.

That's where the trouble begins. I tried loading the standard printer drivers for the Lexmark X7675 printer that I bought some time ago. For whatever reasons, when connecting through the USB port the HP won't recognize the machine. Going online, I saw I was not the only person who had this problem -- apparently there are both 32- and 64- bit versions of the driver -- but I've tried loading (and subsequently uninstalling) both drivers, with exactly the same result -- the HP won't "see" the printer.

I've been using the Wizard that comes along with the Lexmark driver software (both online and on the disk), and am wondering if I just need to load the software itself and bypass the wizard...

Any suggestions?
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby ClosetOtaku » Sun May 09, 2010 12:26 pm

Some more developments...

Turns out the printer is not the only problem. I have an old external hard drive (Maxtor 3100) that, despite plug and play technology, is not recognized by the new laptop either when plugged into the USB port.

Information I've turned up in web searches suggests an independently powered USB hub, set up as an intermediate device between laptop and peripheral, may solve the problem.

Again, open to any experience anyone has -- and whether this is a symptom of HP laptops, Windows 7 64-bit OS, phase of the moon, cosmic rays, etc.
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun May 09, 2010 9:07 pm

I haven't answered because I'm far from the best person for this, but I guess any response is better than none. You have probably tried most of the things I would do, but here are three possibilities you haven't mentioned yet:

1) Sometimes drivers are terribly picky about registry settings and such. Once I had a wireless card that wouldn't be recognized until I removed the card, deleted the driver, restarted, installed the driver, restarted, put in the card, and again restarted. Missing one of those steps made it inoperable for some reason.

2) I've heard that Windows 7 has some kind of problem with persistent data. Try draining the laptop of all power (definitely remove the battery, but you may need to do more with the power supply) and maybe the motherboard restarting will fix some things. Note that I've never done this myself.

3) It also might be Microsoft's fault, in which case we won't see full OS functionality until they release the first two service packs or so.
uc pseudonym

Postby ClosetOtaku » Mon May 10, 2010 6:32 pm

Thanks, UC!

Actually, I'd tried option #2, with no success.

HOWEVER -- ta ta da! --

The solution has been found. Indeed, you can't trust everything you read on the 'net, but this time it was true -- I used a powered USB hub to connect PC to printer.

Can't tell at this moment if it is an OS or hardware issue at the originating point -- but in any event, I now have a printer!

I'm going to take the Maxtor in to someone to have the data on it recovered -- the latest valid driver I can find is a Win98SE from Seagate -- so I've kind of given up on that. But having the printer is definitely a plus.

Thanks again, and I'll see if Microsoft publishes a Win 7 fix, or a firmware upgrade is needed for the HP...
ClosetOtaku

Return to Computing and Links