Virus Alert

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Virus Alert

Postby rocklobster » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:48 pm

No, i'm not referring to the song by Weird AL. A couple weeks ago, my computer got infected with a new malware that masquerades as a security program called XP 10. It's an upgrade of an older virus (Antispyware 2009) and does the same thing. It's an ad that looks just like a security program, be careful what you click on.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:27 pm

I've heard of this one going around. I'd also like to warn people of one called Antivirus Soft. It somehow managed to get into my computer and randomly popped up out of nowhere. I blocks everything (Even CTRL + ALT + DELETE) except the page to its site for you to buy the supposed "program." It's pretty nasty.

If you have an XP and get hit by it, the best thing to do is restart your comp and upon loading, CTRL + ALT + DELETE before it loads and stop an .exe that looks like xceed.exe or something of the likes. It looks pretty suspicious either way.

Then watch and do this.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby Mithrandir » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:42 pm

I recommend everyone check out this post:
http://www.krebsonsecurity.com/2010/03/removing-viruses-from-a-pc-that-wont-boot/

Krebs is a legit security guy. Using one of the boot images he talks about there will allow you to boot the machine from a CD and scan for viruses without running anything from the HD. This is the only way to ensure (more or less) that you aren't loading a root kit that will mask itself.
Mithrandir

Return to Computing and Links