Can I use my domain as a proxy?

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Can I use my domain as a proxy?

Postby Bobtheduck » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:48 am

I have a paid web site via yahoo, and I was wondering if I'd be able to use it as a proxy so I could watch Hulu here in Korea. Free proxies all register as proxies, but I should be able to avoid this using my own site, since Hulu and others would never be able to use it as a proxy.

Would this be possible?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Kaligraphic » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:00 am

If you get a server and run a proxy on it, you can. Yahoo hosting won't do it, though.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:11 pm

If you have a server onto which you can install software, then yes - you can do this. If you are just letting someone host your code, then probably not. squid would work for the HTML, but it sounds like what you really want to do is reflect all traffic from one server off another. If I was to recommend a solution, it would be to create a VPN in the states, and then use THAT to reflect your traffic. If you can install software on your server, you might want to consider openVPN. If you've got enough bandwidth and processing power, it should work OK.

HIH
Mithrandir

Postby Warrior4Christ » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:46 pm

From Wikipedia:
"Hulu videos are currently offered only to users in the United States.[3] In order to ensure that no international users outside the U.S. have access to the video channel, Hulu has blocked many anonymous proxies and virtual private networks."
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:13 am

... Looked at OpenVPN, but I really don't understand any of that server based stuff... I mean, to even use a proxy on Firefox, I have to have an ip address, but according to the whois thing on my site, my site has had MANY IPs since its inception... Also, if Hulu can tell that I'm using the VPN software anyhow, it would be pointless...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby shooraijin » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:19 pm

Can you use a dyn-dns service?
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Mithrandir » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:35 pm

That was kind of a vague wiki post. I suspect this should be read as:

"many anonymous (proxies and virtual private networks)"
and not
"many (anonymous proxies) and virtual private networks."

If you run your own VPN, they can't actually differentiate that traffic from legitimate NAT traffic at the server end.

- Mith
Mithrandir

Return to Computing and Links