Problem with my backup drive

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Problem with my backup drive

Postby Nightshade X » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:16 pm

Hey, guys. I'm experiencing a problem with my external 1.5TB drive. Up until today, it was working fine. Now, it appears to be failing. There's nearly constant drive activity, according to the LED. Also, whenever it's plugged into my laptop, it drags the system to a crawl and affects the stability of whatever program comes into contact with the drive. Finally, when I was able to look at the drive in Disk Management (Windows 7 Home Premium x64), it saw the drive. However, the whole drive read as RAW.

Am I right about the drive failure? What can I do from this point? The thing I'm most concerned about is the data that's on the drive. Some files I have are only on that drive (I was working on a redundancy plan before this happened).

Thanks for your help, everyone.
Nightshade X

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:24 pm

How is it formatted? Can you boot from a linux distro on a USB drive and try to copy the data from the failing drive?
Mithrandir

Postby Nightshade X » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:01 am

It was formatted as NTFS before.
Nightshade X

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:11 pm

Hmm... You may be able to read it under linux if you wanted to boot off a thumb drive and copy over the data, but I'm not sure you'd be able to write to it. Without an optical drive, I'm kinda out of other options, I guess. Normally I'd say "put it in another computer and run spinrite on it."
Mithrandir

Postby Bobtheduck » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:23 am

Ubuntu 9.10 can write to NTFS. I access my various video, document, music, and picture files on it. If it's your main drive, you have to go through host, but if it's external, it will show up on your desktop when you plug it in. It will also give you a warning if it's about to die (did for mine, just got a new one)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:19 pm

It can?!? Sweet! I wasn't aware that they resolved that (to be fair, it's been a very long time since I attempted to access an NTFS file system from linux...)
Mithrandir

Return to Computing and Links