Google Wave

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Google Wave

Postby blkmage » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:54 pm

How many of you have access to Google's new-fangled software-gadget? We should start a wave.
blkmage

Postby Tsukuyomi » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:31 pm

I've heard about Google Wave on another site, buuuuut I'm not really sure what it is... ^______^;;
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby shooraijin » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:54 pm

Wave seems to combine the worst parts of E-mail and IM, the way I see it. I see this one burning out like Jaiku.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Tsukuyomi » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:11 pm

shooraijin (post: 1353911) wrote:Wave seems to combine the worst parts of E-mail and IM, the way I see it. I see this one burning out like Jaiku.

Ah, I had a feeling it was something like that :-? That's what it sounded like at least :-?

The guy in the video made it sound so amazing and took so long to get to the actual.. thing O.O
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby blkmage » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:00 pm

Right now, I feel like the biggest problem is that no one really knows what to do with it beyond doing what we already do with things that already exist.
blkmage

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:25 pm

What else is there to do with it that we don't know about o.o?
Tsukuyomi

Postby blkmage » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:57 pm

Well, a big part of it is presumably the extensibility, which we understandably won't see for a while. I don't really have any need to do anything beyond chatting on it either. It's like any other social networking medium, really. It's really easy to describe what it's all about on the surface, but it'll take a while before people understand it enough take advantage of the framework that the service provides.
blkmage

Postby Tsukuyomi » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:20 pm

Dumb question is probably dumb, but is this google wave free 8D
Tsukuyomi

Postby Davidizer13 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:47 pm

Yup, it's free, just like a lot of Google's other projects (Picasa, Earth, Docs, GMail). Currently, though, it's in an open-invitation-only beta, like how GMail was in its infancy, so you'll have to sign up if you're interested, which I'm not. I'll just stick to my Windows Live Messenger, where you can make mistakes and nobody will see them, thanks.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby SnoringFrog » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:06 pm

I've been trying to get an invite so I could try this out. I'm not really sure that there's much of a point for me too, but then again, I didn't think there was a point in getting a gmail either and now I can't leave. Even if this turns out to be a horrible flop, I'd like to at least try it out some.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby initialdfreak » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:47 pm

I am on it. Not a lot of people I know are though. Seems to be a rather cool experiment by Google. I really hopes it succeeds. It would be a good way for groups to get work done. But then again, people could also just work on actually working together better. In the non-technical, abstract computer sense. Remove the layers of technical complexity. Even if someone is using a computer to fix a problem (i.e. A Java Program) the best way to solve it (in my honest opinion) is to meet face to face and then go about fixing. I am extremely skeptical that any technological innovation will ever replace honest human interaction. I think thats just how things are meant to be.
initialdfreak

Postby Straylight » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:47 pm

I think Wave exists so that Google can do something cool with the comet technology they developed for Gmail. The architecture of the thing is pretty interesting because it lets the web server push data to the client using javascript and http in real time. What that basically means is that when something gets updated on Wave you see the change immediately, instead of having something in the background checking the server at regular intervals, or worse making you click something to see more recent activity. Java and Flash apps do this already but Wave works without the need for any browser plugins.

The new HTML 5 standard includes a http socket which allows the server to push data to the client without the need for hacks (which is what Google have done), so live apps like Wave may eventually become common place in the future. I think it'll take a while though.
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Return to Computing and Links