Embedding fonts in PDFs: Will that automatically allow unicode?

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Embedding fonts in PDFs: Will that automatically allow unicode?

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:59 am

I'm in process of making a "Learn Hiragana" book for my great nephew as part of a comprehensive (or, um, as comprehensive as I can get for my low level, anyhow) lesson plan to teach my great nephew Japanese (when he needs to get more to what my level is now, he'll hopefully be way past that, and I'll get a LOT of help from Native speakers etc)

So I was going to publish it with Lulu and send it to him, along with a DVD full of videos for vocabulary words, kana, and maybe even some brush work... if I can learn how to do that in time (haahaha... maybe next year) In any case, the video part is... a whole other issue (not sure how Lulu handles video) but I'd love to know about how they handle unicode, and specifically Japanese characters... Can Lulu print them? I looked on Lulu, and not only do they not say anything about it, they make it perfectly clear that they don't want you asking by saying "You can ask about this stuff, nothing else... period"

If I embed the fonts (Which OpenOffice does ANYHOW when exporting PDF files) will that automatically make the Japanese script work?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby EricTheFred » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:29 am

I have had iffy results with embedded fonts in PDF. For consistent results, I would suggest using fonts from Adobe. (Link here)
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:31 am

DOwnloading those now. Have you published with Lulu using those fonts? Or any PoD service at all?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby EricTheFred » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:01 am

Not Lulu, and I haven't done PoD using Asian fonts, but I (or actually, the guy that actually does it. I'm just lowly editorial staff on the project) have used PDF to PoD successfully.

My experience with East Asian fonts and PDF involved intracompany stuff at work, and was just distributing to readers on PC screens.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Return to Computing and Links