You have authorized 3 of 5 computers... Wait, WHAT?

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

You have authorized 3 of 5 computers... Wait, WHAT?

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:04 am

iTunes just told me my laptop wasn't authorized to use the audiobook I just downloaded... I put in my password, and then it told me I had 3 computer authorized... What just happened? I authorized my laptop when I copied my files over from my PC at home, but that's it. 2. Not 3... Any idea why it would tell me there are 3, and tell me the audiobook I just bought wasn't authorized for the only computer I ever downloaded it to?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:26 am

AFAIK:

Authorization in iTunes is sort of a generic, over-all term that is different from just entering your username and password. It's how you set up which computers' users are tied to the iTunes store, able to share music with each other, as well has how you allow various machines to access the downloaded music you've purchased from the iTunes store. From the OS perspective, you are actually authorizing a specific user on the computer. I'm guessing you already knew most of that...

That being said, there are many reasons you may end up seeing this message. If you've updated the operating system (and thus removed some of the identifying files), you can get this error message. It may also show up if you create and use a different user account at the OS level, or if you've rebuilt the iTunes databases. You can also manually "Deauthorize" a computer at any time from the "Store" menu.

HIH!
Mithrandir

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:37 pm

Well, I haven't added any users. I'm not sure about rebuilding the iTunes database, but I bought that audiobook just 5 minutes prior. Any reason why it would accept my purchase and download, but then say I wasn't authorized to listen to it? Shouldn't it say I'm not authorized to make a purchase with that account if I'm not authorized to listen to purchases made with that account? As far as rebuilding the iTunes database, if that's something iTunes does itself, I shouldn't be held responsible. I should deactivate my computer at home, but doing that requires getting my parents or someone else onto my personal profile and... it's not going to happen, at least until I'm back in the US or pony up the money to have my desktop sent to me in Korea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:27 pm

Hmm... You might be able to have just your hard disk sent, I guess.
Mithrandir

Return to Computing and Links