Angel questions (cause i don't know where else to put it)

All spiritual discussion is focused here. You may share your testimony, anything you have learned about the Word, or shout your praises to God here. Also the hub of all CAA bible studies.

Angel questions (cause i don't know where else to put it)

Postby Maledicte » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:41 am

k, i have several questions regarding angels cause they're real slippery little buggers :sweat:
1. What were michaels, lucifer's, gabriel's jobs before the whole rebellion in Heaven?

2. Why did Michael and Satan fight over Moses' body?

3. In Job, when the "Sons of God presented themselves before the LORD" what exactly were they doing?

4. Were angels in existence before God created the heavens and the earth?

note: i don't want TOTALLY EXACT answers, just plausible ones
thanks yall

is there a law against gigantic siggies?
Maledicte

Postby Mave » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:54 pm

Hmmm....could you quote the exact biblical verses that belong to some of those questions? I didn't know Satan and Michael fought over Moses's body...where did that come from? 0.o;;

About huge signatures, I think there is some official rule for them. Try checking out under the 'administration' forum. Your signature is a little bit big for me but then again.... *looks back at her signatures* (-_-)\
Mave

Postby Maledicte » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:27 pm

The Michael and Satan over Moses is somewheres in Jude...maybe somewhere else...if so i don't know where
Maledicte

Postby Ashley » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:53 pm

Perhaps if Reverend Doc gets some time, he could respond to this best. That's not just a nickname--he really is an ordained minister.
Ashley

Postby Technomancer » Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:20 am

The following article may be of interest to you, since it discusses the theology surrounding angels:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01476d.htm
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Spades » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:26 pm

Thanks its quite helpful!
Spades

Postby Maledicte » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:09 pm

thank you spades for saying "thank you" for me :-)
Maledicte

Postby Spades » Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:32 pm

well I was wondering about the scriptures as well.
Spades

Postby Rev. Doc » Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:09 pm

SirThinks2Much wrote:note: i don't want TOTALLY EXACT answers

That's good. I feel a burden lifted.

1. What were michaels, lucifer's, gabriel's jobs before the whole rebellion in Heaven?

God creates all things with a specific purpose. We can only assume that their roles prior to the rebellion (and afterwards for those who did not rebel) was to worship God. You will see this in many Scripture references. God also had other purposes in mind I believe in their creation:
1. Serving Belivers (Hebrews 1:14)
2. Protecting the helpless (Matthew 18:10)
3. Proclaiming God's messages (Revelation 14:6-12 and numerous other Scriptures)
4. Executing God's judgement (Acts 12:1-23 and Revelation 20:1-3)

2. Why did Michael and Satan fight over Moses' body?

There is absolutely no way of knowing exactly what Jude was refering to in regard to this passage. There is no place in the Scriptures that we possess that makes any reference to this occurance. Please note, I am not saying that this did not happen. However, all we can relate it to is the context of where it is found. Jude has been writing about open rebellion and gives 3 examples of it in verses 5-7:
1. The children of Israel
2. The Angels
3. Sodom and Gomorrah
All rejected the authority of God.
He continues in verse 8 to speak of "these dreamers." Who are they? Go back to verse 4:
"For certain men whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are godless men, who change the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord."
They are no doubt false teachers who have slipped into the church.
Jude says in verse 8 that these people:
"...pollute their own bodies, reject authority and slader celestial beings."

In regard to your question, it was Jude's opinion that to slander any of God's creation, including celestial beings, was an affront to God. Get this, even if it is Satan himself,
"But even the archangel Michael, when he was disputing with the devil about the body of Moses, did not dare to bring a slanderous accusation against him (Satan), but said, 'The Lord rebuke you!'

Summary: Jude uses a reference, most likely known to his readers at that time, but for the most part unknown to us to warn against degrading that which God has created. This is hard for us who quickly bring judgement upon Satan and demonic forces. However, remember Jude 6:
"And the angels who did not keep their positions of authority but abandoned their own home - these he (God) has kept in darkness, bound with everlasting chains for judgment on the great Day."
While it is true that Satan is our enemy, it is God who will bring about judgement upon him and the forces of evil on the great Day on our behalf.

Naturally, I realize that all this can raise a thousand and one more questions and I am not sure how deeply the staff will allow us to venture.

3. In Job, when the "Sons of God presented themselves before the LORD" what exactly were they doing?

I bet you didn't know that God had council meetings. This fact is recorded in other portions of Scripture. There are occurances and evidence that God and angels meet and plan activities to take place on earth. Angels are also called upon to give account of themselves and their activies. Because God is Creator of all angels, both those who serve him and those who rebelled, He has complete power and authority over them. In fact, from the conversation that Satan has with God we learn a good bit about the devil:
1. He is accountable to God (verse 6)
2. He can only be at one place at a time (verses 6-7)
3. He cannot see into our minds or foretell the future (verses 9-11)
4. He can do nothing without God's permission (verse 12)
5. He has limitations on what he can do (verse 12)

4. Were angels in existence before God created the heavens and the earth?

There is no specific reference that I know of which indicates when exactly angels were created. However, most assume that angels were created prior to that of the heavens and earth because after man's creation Satan appears as a serpent to tempt Adam and Eve. Therefore, Satan at this time had already rebelled against God and evicted from Heaven.

If you wish to read a good book on angels and angelic activities I suggest Billy Graham's "Angels: God's Secret Agents." Somewhat dated but still a very good indepth study on the subject.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby Mizumi-Kun » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:49 am

I don't know too much about angels, but my sister told me there is no point in the Bible that says the angels sang.
Mizumi-Kun

Postby CDLviking » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:41 am

Rev. Doc wrote:"But even the archangel Michael, when he was disputing with the devil about the body of Moses, did not dare to bring a slanderous accusation against him (Satan), but said, 'The Lord rebuke you!'

This is not what Jude was talking about, but here is another instance in scripture where we see the same thing taking place with the angel of the Lord disputing with Satan over the high priest. It is in Zacharias ch. 3.
CDLviking

Postby crossalchemist » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:37 pm

Mizumi-Kun wrote:I don't know too much about angels, but my sister told me there is no point in the Bible that says the angels sang.

Angels do sing, several times in fact. In Luke 2:13-14 a host of angels appears and sings, "Glory to God in the highest and on earth peace and goodwill towards men." Also in Revelation 4: 8 the angels sing, "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God almighty, who was, and is, and is to come." Hope that helps!Image
formerly known as linwood

"The power of Christ forgives you!"
-Brett (a friend from college, parodying the famous line from 'The Exorcist'.)

My new homepage!

My Infamously Semi-Famous Story Blog:
The Sheehy Brothers Adventures!

Dr. Bryan Enderle, Chemistry lecturer at the University of California at Davis gives an excellent talk on Science vs. Faith once in a great while. I tried to record it once, with very limited success, this link is what I have.
Science vs. Faith
crossalchemist

Location: Somewhere far far away, where they'll never find me.

Postby Maledicte » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:52 am

What i do know for sure is that angels dont have wings. but they're really fun to draw that way.
Maledicte

Postby Ryupower » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:03 pm

SirThinks2Much wrote:What i do know for sure is that angels dont have wings. but they're really fun to draw that way.

Actually, they do. Seraphim and Charubim have wings. :)

I think Gabriel has wings too...I'm not sure about that though...
My DA

(\_/)
(O.o) Copy The Bunny Into Your Sig
(> <) Help Him Achieve World Domination...
Ryupower

Return to Testimonies & Spiritual Growth