mark 4:38

All spiritual discussion is focused here. You may share your testimony, anything you have learned about the Word, or shout your praises to God here. Also the hub of all CAA bible studies.

mark 4:38

Postby Mr. Rogers » Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:56 pm

I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but I was wondering how you would all paraphrase this verse?

mark 4:38 - ...teacher! don't you care we're going to die?

the whole story is it mark 4:35-40
Mr. Rogers

Postby GhostontheNet » Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:40 pm

What kind of question is this? I see no need to paraphrase from how the English Standard Version has it; "Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?"
GhostontheNet

Postby true_noir_chloe » Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:01 pm

Well, this is the problem of picking one verse out of Scripture and using it. Many false teachers and doctrines and Christian cults have been formed on this type of bad use of Scripture. I call it, "the pick-and-chose" method. That is why deep Biblical study is important - to get a view of God in His entireity.

All of Scripture explains itself and all of Scripture, since the very beginning in Genesis speaks to how we need God. Christ was this manisfestation of our need for God and the ultimate answer to all our needs.

In Mark 4:38 "...do you not care we are perishing." sounds like you have a God who cares nothing for His children, yet if you read on in verse 40, "...Why are you so timid, have you no faith?" He says after calming the winds.

Basically, it is a scene of how we seem to think God is sleeping on us, when in fact He is always aware and merely has to be asked and He will take care of us.

Why would you want that verse paraphrased? Within the context of the scene it makes perfect sense.

EDIT: Sorry, Jim, if I came off too harsh, but this trend of "picking and choosing" Scripture has grown since I first became a Christian in the late 70s and I find it a very disturbing trend in the church.

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby GhostontheNet » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:00 pm

true_noir_chloe: Erm... perhaps you shouldn't be so hasty in making accusations of a misuse of scripture when he never even said why he wanted a paraphrase in the first place, much less what he intended to do with it.
GhostontheNet

Return to Testimonies & Spiritual Growth