Some Supernatural Experiences

All spiritual discussion is focused here. You may share your testimony, anything you have learned about the Word, or shout your praises to God here. Also the hub of all CAA bible studies.

Some Supernatural Experiences

Postby phinny5608 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:07 am

What I tell you in darkness, that speak ye in light: and what ye hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops. Matthew 10: 27

When I read that just now in that thread about exhorting one another, it really spoke to me. I suppose I'll share some supernatural experiences I've had. You may have a hard time believing them, and I might too if someone else told me.
Enjoy!

My Baptism

The day I was baptized, I was looking up a verse in Isaiah to bother my pastor about the Sabbath. At that time, I thought it was necessary to observe it (I'm not trying to turn this into a theological argument here, just bear with me). As I flipped to it, I stopped at Isaiah 55 and read from the first verse

"Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters:" (NIV).

It felt to me that God was saying "This is what I care about, not the Sabbath." Later that day, I was baptized. A little later, I opened my Bible for some reason and saw Acts 19 in verse 2 and 3 looking as though it was circled (though it wasn't)
"'Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?'
They answered, "No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.'
(3)So Paul asked, 'Then what baptism did you receive?'
'John's baptism,' they replied." (NIV)

What I take from this is that the baptism that I had received as an infant was not the baptism of the Holy Spirit (again, not trying to start an argument here), and that I had received the baptism of the Holy Spirit that evening. Good stuff, by the way (^_^). I spoke in tongues and it was just so awesome.

"...brave and humble..."

One afternoon, I woke up. I had missed school that day, and was home, and my mom was at work. As I lay there, I heard something in my ear. I kid you not, I actually heard it. It first seemed that I was hearing the inaugural speech of George Bush (mind you, I'm not crazy about him, and even less so then). But, the voice was the voice of a man preaching a firey sermon. Also, I must make it clear-- I WAS awake and I was NOT delirious. I can assure you of this. I would take note of that. I don't even think I was sick. Anyway, he spoke, and it gave me tingles to hear it. However, I thought I heard my mom coming home, and I panicked. This seems to have caused almost everything I heard to zap from my memory. However, I managed to cling onto one phrase "...brave and humble..." ^_^

I hope this was edifying.
"...brave and humble..."

www.thebiblesite.org
Go there and click once a day to help donate Bibles to persecuted Christians for free! Please spread the word!
Open Doors USA and Prisoneralert.com are also nice resource for helping persecuted Christians.
Plus, you can subscribe to the free Voice of the Martyrs newsletter here.

Adopted by: Shadowchild
(If I'm doing this right)
GRANDSON OF: Nami
SIBLINGS: teen4truth, spirit-me-away, ky kiske, Sage_AlKahira, dragon's bane, mastersquirrel, LeaChan-4ever, Dytae
GREAT-GRANDSON OF: Banana-chan
NEPHEW OF: girl ninja, Starfire1, and rusty789, Batosai
phinny5608

Postby Hephzibah » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:17 am

That's an awesome testimony matie! :hug: Thanks for sharing it :D It definitely spoke to me
Hephzibah

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:19 am

Great stuff! Very inspirational! But remember you don't have to be able to speak in tongues to be saved.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Hephzibah » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:21 am

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:Great stuff! Very inspirational! But remember you don't have to be able to speak in tongues to be saved.

No, but if that was one of the first things Paul asked the new group, then it must be pretty important
Hephzibah

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:25 am

I'm not sure I gather exactly what you mean Talame. I believe The Holy Spirit gives some Christians the gift of tongues and others He doesn't. I can't speak tongues for one thing, but I know some people who do and they say its helpful when they don't know what to pray about - the Holy Spirit guides them more directly in prayer than to those who don't speak in tongues.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby phinny5608 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:29 am

Great stuff! Very inspirational! But remember you don't have to be able to speak in tongues to be saved.

No, but if that was one of the first things Paul asked the new group, then it must be pretty important

I totally agree, tongues is not necessary to be saved. It's nice to have though. Plus, I think it's kind of an outward proof that you are saved.

Heheh, I'm glad this has been as accepted as it was. I was getting a bit tense that I would be looked at like a freak. But, I did it anyway ^_^

Also, I made one little edit in case anyone read it before I did. I corrected myself-- I don't think my baptism as an infant was John's baptism, now that I go back and read it. Sorry about that if anyone saw it. John's baptism was one of repentence, and how can I do that when I'm a baby?
"...brave and humble..."

www.thebiblesite.org
Go there and click once a day to help donate Bibles to persecuted Christians for free! Please spread the word!
Open Doors USA and Prisoneralert.com are also nice resource for helping persecuted Christians.

SIBLINGS: teen4truth, spirit-me-away, ky kiske, Sage_AlKahira, dragon's bane, mastersquirrel, LeaChan-4ever, Dytae
phinny5608

Postby Hephzibah » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:34 am

I totally agree, tongues is not necessary to be saved. It's nice to have though. Plus, I think it's kind of an outward proof that you are saved.

That's an interesting viewpoint... I've never thought of it that way before :P

I'm not sure I gather exactly what you mean Talame. I believe The Holy Spirit gives some Christians the gift of tongues and others He doesn't. I can't speak tongues for one thing, but I know some people who do and they say its helpful when they don't know what to pray about - the Holy Spirit guides them more directly in prayer than to those who don't speak in tongues.

I believe differently... I dont see why some Christians can be blessed with tongues and others not. I'm not talking about the ministry of tongues, (eg speaking in language you dont know, like French; or speaking in a Godly tongue and then getting the interpretation) I'm more talking about the personal tongues.

For example, not everyone has the gift of prophesy, but that doesnt mean those that don't never prophesy.

... is what I'm saying making sense? I am like completely tired... garr to waking up at 6:30
Hephzibah

Postby phinny5608 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:51 am

For example, not everyone has the gift of prophesy, but that doesnt mean those that don't never prophesy.

I may have that gift, by way of dreams.

An example: I was once misinterpreting 2 Corinthians 6:14-18, where it says not to be yoked with unbelievers. I was thinking that this meant I could not even be friends with unbelievers (which isn't true). I basically made up my mind-- I would rather remain their friends until I know for sure, and be wrong, than break friendships and be wrong (that would be awful!). I know, this may sound like my mind was being harsh. I'm pretty confident Satan was trying to trip me up.

Well, some time later (possibly that very night, I don't remember), I had a dream in which I believe I heard the voice of an angel tell me that because I had not viewed myself to be "holier than thou" (he did't use those words), that doors would open. I gather that this means I had passed a test, and that doors for witnessing would open.
"...brave and humble..."

www.thebiblesite.org

phinny5608

Postby Syreth » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:11 pm

I think it's awesome how God can speak to us in "common" ways (like the testimony of nature, the providence of advice through people, etc) and in "uncommon" ways (like dreams, visions, prophecy, etc). Those things you talked about phinny, are definately awesome ways to hear from God. That's awesome that you were baptized with the Holy Spirit. What a special time!
Syreth

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:02 pm

Okay Talame, my mistake I thought you were talking about ministry of tongues. My bad. So I guess in this I believe the same as you.

phinny, I was baptised at one month old in the Lutheran church (common practise). Our church now does a number of adult baptisms but I don't see a problem with infant baptism. You can confirm your faith for Jesus when you are old enough too.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby phinny5608 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:25 pm

Well, I can at least tell you from my own experience that I highly recommend getting baptized later in life, rather than just as an infant.
"...brave and humble..."

www.thebiblesite.org

phinny5608

Return to Testimonies & Spiritual Growth