A fast

All spiritual discussion is focused here. You may share your testimony, anything you have learned about the Word, or shout your praises to God here. Also the hub of all CAA bible studies.

A fast

Postby DragonSlayer » Mon May 24, 2004 12:30 pm

Im going on a fast from media, well basicly anything that takes my time away from god, and so far its proved challenging. It works to, when all that crap stops going into me and coming out(Tv,Videogames,ect. ect.) Tv especially. If you are a cup of water, and have been filling yourself with pure water(Gods word) then when you get bumped(Made fun of, made angry, insulted, ect ect ect.) then what you put in comes out of the cup but if you fill it with the crap TV has to offer, well most of its crap anyway. than horrible things comes out. Things we never thought we'd say or do and other stuff. Im fasting from everything that gets in the way of me and god, so that when I get bumped, a more christian like(Some peoplem may think it sounds stupid but it dosnt) reaction will come out. But you have to actually spend time with god in the absence of TV and Videogames and wahtever else you would be fasting from, other wise theres little gain, I myself found myself reading a lot in absence of stuff that pulled me away from god, not the bible, Fantasy books, which actually were more addicting. so I geuss what im getting at is, Im sorta challenging you to take the fast if your falling away from god, or if you just want a closer walk with him, take this cahllenge and fill in the absences with god and nothing but god and things will improve, You must mean it.
Dont ever doubt God. He can help when thing even are impossible for a Human to work out.God can help us with everything, no matter how long it takes, how much it may seem he's not doing, never doubt God.
DragonSlayer

Postby wiggins » Mon May 24, 2004 2:17 pm

One question... how do you fast? I tried it once with anime, but in the absence of anime, I wanted to watch anime even more. I talked to God alot more, though. Yet, that wasn't really an absence of stuff pulling me away from God if it was still in my head right?
Being a Christian makes me a different otaku; Being an otaku doesn't make me a different Christian!
wiggins

Postby DragonSlayer » Mon May 24, 2004 4:03 pm

Dont dwell on the things that your fasting from, that would present a hgue problem, only opening a door for temptation.
Dont ever doubt God. He can help when thing even are impossible for a Human to work out.God can help us with everything, no matter how long it takes, how much it may seem he's not doing, never doubt God.
DragonSlayer

Postby wiggins » Tue May 25, 2004 10:20 am

I wasn't dwelling on it. It just sort of sprung to my mind, especially when doing something not particularly interesting.
Being a Christian makes me a different otaku; Being an otaku doesn't make me a different Christian!
wiggins

Postby DragonSlayer » Wed May 26, 2004 10:20 pm

wiggins wrote:I wasn't dwelling on it. It just sort of sprung to my mind, especially when doing something not particularly interesting.

Then kick it out.
DragonSlayer

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:15 pm

I've had similar trouble keeping up a fast from various media and stuff like that. My problem has been being to vague about it. I'd say something like "I won't listen to music for a while" (which sounds like a BIG thing comming from me) but then the actual routine of the day itself didn't change. Eventually, I'd look around and realize that I'd just shuffled my distractions around a bit. I wasn't any closer to God than before.

You're right on when you say that fasting is pointles if you don't replace what you're fasting from with actual time with God. That's why I'm doing a more specific, "old fashioned" if you will, kind of fast. Until the end of next week (and maybe longer) I'm skiping lunch so I can use that time to shut myself up in my room and pray. So far, this has been way more intense benefitial, mainly because (for me, at least) it's the only way that absolutely NO distractions can creep in.
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby Taro » Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:36 pm

wiggins wrote:I wasn't dwelling on it. It just sort of sprung to my mind, especially when doing something not particularly interesting.

The great thing about it though was that you were talking to God, see in the absence of anime you were drawing nearer to God. Even if you couldn't stop thinking about anime, you probably still prayed a lot to keep you strong.
The thing about fasting and even being a christian is although salvation is completely free. Being a christian costs you something whether it is a life you thought you had, or friends or family. Or even your favorite anime!
When we give these things up it brings us closer to Jesus because we ask for his help and strength. HE LOVES THAT! So just keep that in mind next time
"No one ever lost out by excessive devotion to Christ."
~ Henry Allan Ironside (1876-1951)
Taro

Postby c.t.,girl » Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:45 pm

i guess i've more than fasted, cuz before i said, "i'm not gunna listen or buy secular music anymore." and then one day i just got rid of all my secular cd's. i've also been fasting from regular tv, so instead i'm in here or seeing how my friends are on the fone. i sumday hope to not wanna watch tv anymore. because of all i've been doing i feel closer to God.
[color="DarkOrange"]"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things... hey... the good things don't always soften the bad things; but vice-versa the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant." -11th Doctor

"The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who’ll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. If you’re sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. But if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. You feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that’s almost never the case." - Chuck Close[/color]
c.t.,girl

Postby Ryupower » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:43 pm

That's a great idea! God bless you with this. ^^

I've already fasted off TV shows for about 3 weeks (besides the ones where I run in when my parents are watching and weather channel, atleast my TV. :) , or more. I really don't miss it. I've got my TV on only when I want to listen to that SERIUS Christian radio channel. :)
My DA

(\_/)
(O.o) Copy The Bunny Into Your Sig
(> <) Help Him Achieve World Domination...
Ryupower

Return to Testimonies & Spiritual Growth