God who comforts and teaches

All spiritual discussion is focused here. You may share your testimony, anything you have learned about the Word, or shout your praises to God here. Also the hub of all CAA bible studies.

God who comforts and teaches

Postby Mave » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:16 am

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share how God refreshed and restored my soul. For the last 2 weeks, I've been feeling down, lonely and disillusioned with everything that I do. I wasn't sure what the reason was. I blamed my research thesis (which I still struggle with) and the annoying people in my life. But I later realized that I had distanced myself from God. My prayer schedule, my quiet time, and Bible reading times were almost non-existent for weeks.

Yesterday, I was drawing manga and asked myself, "Is this what God wants me to do? How can I make Christian manga while my spiritual life is dying?" Suddenly, I felt convicted to stop drawing and to go to my bedroom for quiet time. That was the few instances in my life where I daren't disobey for the conviction was very strong. I did some reading and then fell asleep.

I slept for 10 hours! That was unexpected for I usually only require 5-6 hours of sleep on a daily basis. I believe that God was telling me that I not only needed physical rest, I also needed spiritual rest just as Psalm 23 speaks of.

I came to God this morning and push aside everything else to have quiet time with Him. I poured everything out and prayed for His mercy and Help. I opened the bible and BAM! 2 Corinthians 1:3-5

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows."

The Lord was speaking to me and I almost cried. It's been a while since I've heard His voice and I longed for it. I've strayed away and found that the world has nothing to offer me. I've been proud and exalted myself. But it has all left me empty and miserable.

He is the only One that truly comforts. I'm coming back to you Lord. I've been humbled and my hunger for You has been revived. Praise God.
Mave

Postby ClosetOtaku » Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:14 pm

Mave,

Thank you very much for this awesome post. I read it early this morning and it inspired me to have a quiet time; I opened my journal and discovered it had been several weeks since my last entry! It's amazing how time flies when your mind is on other less important things.

So, thank you for sharing with us how you got your priorities straight, as it's helped remind me to get my priorities straight, too.

"Man does not need to be taught so much as he needs to be reminded" -- Dr. Samuel Johnson.
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby Zane » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:51 pm

Thats kind of how I am feeling or have felt the last few weeks. Reading a book other than the Bible gave me no enjoyment, going to watch a movie wasn't really enticing, and looking at life without God, having know life with God, is nothing, its empty.

I've found that the world really has nothing to offer me in comparision to the companionship of Brothers and Sisters in Christ and a relationship with God. Its like POD sings; "Now that I see you, I can never look away".

And, I'm glad you've found the same thing Mave. Isn't he wonderful.
Zane

Postby sonichiro » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:19 pm

thankyou so much for this, mave. i normally dont go to the testimony forum, but God led me here today to read your post. honestly, i really needed to hear what you were saying and that verse was exactly what God intended for me to see. thankyou so much, you dont know how much i needed this.
-- if white was black and black was white, what of shades of grey?
sonichiro

Postby true_noir_chloe » Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:51 am

What a blessing this post was for me to read, Mave. ^___^ It is timely for me now. I'm glad to hear how God is working in your life. I've noticed it recently. ~_^

Also, this is aside, but ClosetOtaku is this quote below from Dr. Samuel Johnson who taught at Dallas Theological Seminary and helped translate the NIV bible?

"Man does not need to be taught so much as he needs to be reminded" -- Dr. Samuel Johnson.

He was my teacher at our Bible church for many years, as well as a man I greatly revered and respected if it is one in the same. ^____^ This quote would be so much like him, if it was.

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby K. Ayato » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:16 pm

Thanks for sharing that, Mave. Dealing with the death of my pastor's son, it is truly refreshing to hear what you've shared with us.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Angel37 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:29 pm

That is so awesome. I'm also currently experiencing a low point in my life so it was nice to be given a reminder of Who's in charge and Who cares the most for me! Thanks so much! And if you ever need someone to talk to, my mail and PM boxes are always open!
<3 Angel
Angel37

Postby Mave » Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:44 am

God is faithful even if things don't look like at all. :thumb:

Yesterday night, I was feeling anxious and fearful because certain things in my life were out of my control. Once again, I didn't feel like doing anything else except to read His word, pray out loudly and listen to Christian music.

Lately, I feel as if God keeps pulling me to Him. Literally. It's weird-funny; I know I'll find peace and grace in His arms and yet I keep resisting His embrace of love. My human flesh is quite stubborn and proud, and I know that's going break my heart eventually.

But I did accept how despair and fear can bring me closer to God. I think He really wants me to surrender the most important things in my life to Him. It's difficult and sometimes it hurts <-- (pride, pride, blasted pride). But I know that I will feel really liberated when I finally let go. Even if it hurts, I know God will always be there to carry me.
Mave

Postby ClosetOtaku » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:28 pm

true_noir_chloe wrote:Also, this is aside, but ClosetOtaku is this quote below from Dr. Samuel Johnson who taught at Dallas Theological Seminary and helped translate the NIV bible?

Alas, no, this is the famous English author and lexiconographer (1709-1784), a little early for the NIV. But your Dr. Johnson sounds like an interesting gentleman as well.
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Return to Testimonies & Spiritual Growth