Saved by a loving God. problems still remain. Help!

All spiritual discussion is focused here. You may share your testimony, anything you have learned about the Word, or shout your praises to God here. Also the hub of all CAA bible studies.

Saved by a loving God. problems still remain. Help!

Postby Shinji Ikari » Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:11 am

Well, last week I was saved by the Grace of the lord Jesus thorugh the holy waters of baptism.

it was really awesome. I was filled witht the Holy Spirit, and vowed never to visint that dark place again.

Sin however, crept back into my life, and I started lusting again, and as well as lusting after real people, I enjoyed the horrible Hentai.

I came to the point oif declaring myself Bisexual, because I have feelings for guys, and it's hard to say "no I don't love you" when i obviously do. I know it's all forbidden by books like Leviticus, saying we should not lie down with a man like a woman. but I truly really do love some guys, and I can't turn those feelings off like that. It's not just a water main that can be shut of by a magical tap.

I really want to follow the Lord and do what he wants, does anyone have any suggestions.

And I keep getting a subconcious voice telling em that I've been baptised, still sinned, and voided that Baptism, is that true?
Shinji Ikari

Postby inkhana » Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:37 am

Well, first of all, welcome! I don't think I've greeted you yet...:)

As far as your question is concerned, we all do sin in different ways, over different things. Even after we've given our lives to Christ. We're just so imperfect. I think it's wonderful that you want to change, and I pray that you will be given strength to. All I can tell you, in reference to the hentai, is to go with the advice that you should remove any source of temptation from your sight. If you have hentai in your house whether it be anime or manga, get rid of it. Anything that might cause you to slip up, bid adios to it. If you have any other movies that you think might tempt you, get rid of those too. That will help a lot.

It isn't wrong for a man to love another man. We are all commanded to do that much. It's just when the sexual element is added that it becomes wrong. I wish I could help you more in that matter. It will take a while to change...to convert the physical to the spiritual; that's just the way things are but I'm sure with God's help you can. We have to "unlearn" our old behavior, and that seldom happens overnight. Patience is key, as well as prayer.

As far as baptism is concerned, consider this: we are all sinners. We get baptized. We sin again. All sin is equal in God's eyes. By that logic, no one could ever "stay" baptized. I don't know what feelings are denomination-wise about this, but my opinion is based on my common sense.

I'll be praying for you. Take care!

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Rashiir » Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:10 am

And I keep getting a subconcious voice telling em that I've been baptised, still sinned, and voided that Baptism, is that true?

That's what the devil wants you to think. Ignore him. All you need to do is repent, confess your sin to God, and ask Him to help you not do it again and decide in your heart that you aren't going to do it again.

I came to the point oif declaring myself Bisexual, because I have feelings for guys, and it's hard to say "no I don't love you"

Just because you have physical attractions to guys doesn't mean you love them. Love is much deeper than that. Yes, you might be tempted towards homosexuality, but don't give in. Everyone's tempted in some ways. We just have to fight against it. I would recommend Every Young Man's Battle by Stephen Arterburn and Fred Stoeker.
Rashiir

Postby SMoonEmpress » Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:36 am

Many different religions have many different views towards baptism. To me, baptism is a holy experience that is symbolic of the Lord's washing away of your sins. The definition in my bible of "baptism" is: a water ritual, used as a spiritual symbol. It is an outward symbol of your faith in God, and your commitment to him. Baptism in itself does not wash away your sins--only God can do that. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that in order to go to heaven you must be baptized by water, and nothing can "void out" your baptism. We are all sinners, and will continue to sin until we die. It is only through Jesus Christ that we are saved: not through the symbolic act of baptism.

I hope that helped! God Bless, and I will be praying for you!
"Watashi wa... Jikyuu no tobira wo mamoru meikai no bannin... Sailor Pluto!"
My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will never be shaken.
(Psalm 62:1-2)

[Fairy-dust.net]
SMoonEmpress

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:57 am

I'm really sorry to hear that you're having such a hard time. I can sort of understand, I've been in a similar situation.

Anyway, I'll pray for you. Hey, and every time you're tempted with hentai or any other impure thought, cry out to God. I know it's not easy, and I have trouble doing it myself, but...it couldn't hurt to try :]
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Rev. Doc » Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:57 pm

I would recommend to you what I recommended to another concerning their friend in the prayer request thread. Homosexuality is a lifestyle that is prompted by other underlying problems that you may consciously or unconsciously be struggling with. Your life is too precious to just hope you might make it through or just trust to chance that you might overcome. You need to place it in the hands of God and seek his direction in finding help. God has given individuals the gift of edifying, helping to build up and strengthen the lives of other believers. I would highly recommend that you seek out a Christian conselor, be it your pastor or someone who has special training to help you work through the stuggles you have been facing. There is nothing shameful in seeking help from others. Nor do you have to live a life of guilt, defeat, and lies planted in your heart by Satan. Your life is much too important and I will pray that the Lord with give you the strength to overcome and take those needed steps to find help.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby Shinji Ikari » Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:30 pm

Thank you everyone for your advice.

I'd also like to point out that A friend for the other boards i visit and a fellow Christian, ahs helped me out as well by telling me to give it to God and he will take care of it for you. God willing, i will, and am beating this thing.
Shinji Ikari

Postby Gleph » Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:05 am

It's so awesome... i'm glad that you're making that step. Just know... God is with you. And you'll personally be in my prayers tonight. Peace be with you Son of God

God Bless
Isaiah 40:31
"But those who wait on the Lord
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint."
Gleph

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:35 pm

Others have said what I would have told you, but I extend my sympathies. I would suggest that you not be too concerned about the baptism. While it can be significant event, it in and of itself has no power. Relationships do not go perfectly, in the same way neither will your relationship with God. But He's far more forgiving than humans...
uc pseudonym

Postby Celtic_Moon » Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:06 am

In my personal opinion, temptation is a normal part of everyone's life. None of us are perfect although created in God's likeness. We all have imperfections. But He would never turn anyone away and He will help you thru this.
Heck, we'll help ya thru this as well. :thumb:

Blessed be!
Celtic_Moon

Postby Sparrowhawk » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:24 pm

No when you sin, it does not mean your no longer a Christian. Paul writes that nothing can separate us from God's love: neither death nor life, angles nor demons, our fear and worries, nor even all the powers of hell (Romans 8:38-39). Even those who God inspired to write His Word to us (the Bible) still struggled with sin. Moses struck a rock one time when God told him to only speak to it. Paul writes in Romans 7:15-25 (NLT version) "I don't understand myself at all, for I really want to do what is right, but i don't do it. Instead, I do the very thing I hate. I know perfectly well that what I'm doing is wrong, and my bad conscience shows the law is good. But I can't help myself, because it is sin inside me that makes me do these evil things. I know that I am rotten through and through so far as my old sinful nature is concerned. No matter which way I turn, I can't make myself do right. I want to, but I can't. When I want to do good, I don't. And when I try not to do wrong, I do it anyway. But if I am doing what I don't want to do, I am not really the one doing it; the sin within me is doing it. It seems to be a fact of life that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong. I love God's law with all my heart. But there is another law at work within me that is at war with my mind. This law wins the fight and makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin? Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. So you see how it is: In my mind I really want to obey God's law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin." So you see, sin is something we still struggle then as Christians. Why? Because being a Christian doesn't mean you are no longer human. You said you struggle with lust, a problem that I have to battle everyday as well, not to guys i admit, but in truth all sin is the same in this: we put our own desires before God's will. Like I said, your a Christian, but your still human. Being Christian doesn't mean you no longer want to sin. Being a Christian means you accepted Christ's gift through faith (Romans 1:17). Is it okay to sin then? No of course not (again in Romans. in fact why not read Romans to help you more with this problem? i think it may help). So how do we stop sinning? Surrendering to God's will not our own. How can we do this? We can't, we must ask God in Christ name to give us strength through the Holy Spirit that He gave you when you accepted Him. Ask God to forgive you of your sins, He will do so (i think that is in 1 John somewhere). Next time you are tempted, ask God for strength, don't try to resist on your own. Remember that you are no longer a slave of sin (Romans 8:2). Also remember that punishment for your sin has already been taken, Christ took it for you and there is now no condemnation for you (Romans 8:1). I struggle with sin every day, and lust is also one i struggle with (mostly in my mind, which i hate). When you surrender to God's Spirit, you begin to live in the Spirit (Romans 8:1-17). I warn you it is a never ending battle, but it is already been won in the end (i can't remember the reference right now, but i know its in there somewhere). Like i said, the book of Romans is a good book to read on faith and identity as a Christian and what it means to be one. Romans chapters 6-8 deal specifically with the power of sin and living the Christian life. If you have any questions, disagrements, or i offended you please let me know. I just want to help the best I can as a fellow Christian. Once again I would entreat you to read Romans. It has helped me a lot in understanding my battle with sin. Remember, your still human, and the Bible constantly talks about our sinful human nature (ie so the natural thing is sinning, the Christian thing is surrender to God's will). I still struggle with sin every day. If i can help any more or if i need to shut up, please let me know. Remember God loves you, He will not abandon you to a life of sin. Don't give up!
Sparrowhawk

Postby wiggins » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:10 am

Shinji Ikari wrote: Well, last week I was saved by the Grace of the lord Jesus thorugh the holy waters of baptism.

it was really awesome. I was filled witht the Holy Spirit, and vowed never to visint that dark place again.

Sin however, crept back into my life, and I started lusting again, and as well as lusting after real people, I enjoyed the horrible Hentai.

I came to the point oif declaring myself Bisexual, because I have feelings for guys, and it's hard to say "no I don't love you" when i obviously do. I know it's all forbidden by books like Leviticus, saying we should not lie down with a man like a woman. but I truly really do love some guys, and I can't turn those feelings off like that. It's not just a water main that can be shut of by a magical tap.

I really want to follow the Lord and do what he wants, does anyone have any suggestions.

Hey Shinji!
Everyone has said most of it, but I'll just add on my 2 cents worth. I don't have time to go on a lengthy discourse, but please read Galatians. I have been going through something similar, and Galatians really helped me out. It was like the book/ letter was written to me. First of all, no that subconcious voice telling you that isn't right. Test the voice with the Bible. See if it measure us to the Word of God. Pray and ask God if that voice is from Him.

Here is a few passages that may help. While they address false prophets rather than subconcious voices, I still feel the same can be applied. Matthew 15 - 20:

15“Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20Thus, by their fruit you will recognize the

Ask God to help you see whether or not something is from Him. Don't use your own judgement, because we are sinful and human. Only God can see with all clarity. The Bible also says that out heart is deceitful: (Jeremiah 9 - 10) -

9 The heart is deceitful above all things

and beyond cure.

Who can understand it?

10 "I the LORD search the heart

and examine the mind,

to reward a man according to his conduct,

according to what his deeds deserve."

Therefore, I can only repeat what God's Word already says:

7Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. (1 Peter 5:7)

5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart

and lean not on your own understanding]

7 Do not be wise in your own eyes;

fear the LORD and shun evil. (Proverbs 3:5-7)

As for sin creeping back up and sinful desires not being shut off easily with a twist of a magical tap, your absolutely right.

Once we accept Jesus into our lives as our Lord and Savior, we are saved. However that's just the beginning! Christanity is a process. God wants us to ber perfect.

Matthew 5:48: 48Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

And it is He Who does the work in us, to make us perfect, like Jesus, like our heavenly Father.

Philippians 1:6 -->

"being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."

Shinji, you know what's right. You know that bisexuality, lust, and hentai is sin. And I thank God you know, and accept that. Don't give up!

James 1: 2-8 -->
"2Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. 4Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. 5If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. 6But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; 8he is a doubleminded man, unstable in all he does."

I'll pray for you. Read Galatians. I really think it will speak to you. I also would like to encourage you to read Romans 7:4 - 8:39. Now I really need to get back to my work... This post has turned out longer than I thought it would be.

God bless,
Jonathan
Being a Christian makes me a different otaku; Being an otaku doesn't make me a different Christian!
wiggins

Return to Testimonies & Spiritual Growth