Guider of the Flame: Chapter 1

Unleash your creative writing skills here.

Guider of the Flame: Chapter 1

Postby Gleph » Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:48 pm

I wrote this a while back. I'm working on Chapter 2 for now, though it's going pretty slowly. I intend to finish the story however.

Guider of the Flame

Song Lyrics are the intellectual property of their respective owners

Original plot Copyright Nathan Sinclair 2003

Rated GP-13 - Action/Adventure, Angst, Romance, Humour

Chapter One

"So lately been wondering
Who will be there to take my place"

I never could manage without you...

"When I'm gone, you'll need love
To light the shadows on your face"

Your solemn promise, once a beacon of light in a dying world...

"If a greater wave shall fall
It'll fall upon us all"

The storms are raging, where are you now?

"With those dreams that are set in stone
Could you make it on your own"

I will sorely miss you, my love...

[----------------------------------------]

Small glimmers of light began to emerge through the curtains covering the drapes as sun shone on the small town of Dale, waking up the ever restful Elaina from her calm sleep. She opened her eyes, got out of bed, opened the curtains and let the crisp, calm breeze refresh her from her nice sleep. Opening the wooden door of her small cabin her light feet pressed lightly on the grass outside, she gracefully walked over to the orange tree outside her house to pick some fresh oranges to make juice out of. After picking, she spent time admiring the nice view around her. Numerous green pine trees, tall redifers and short sequoias surrounded her house, on a hill above the rest of the town.

She slowly walked back into the house, placed the oranges on the table and retrieved the juicer. Squeezing the orange juice, she placed it in the jug and saved the other oranges for later. She poured some of the juice into a glass and placed it on the table. Taking some nuts from the cupboard while chopping up some of the oranges she had collected, and using the milk she had obtained from the village cows, she made a substantial breakfast and sat down to admire the atmosphere around her, while enjoying the meal she had in front of her.

Just before she had finished her nice meal, 3 men stormed into her house, anxiously in need of Elaina's help.
"What are thou doing Samuel, Sebastian and Lance?", an inquiring, annoyed look on her face, "Have you no respect for nature? I was merely going to finish off my meal and head out to see you."
"Very sorry miss, won't happen again miss."

The three strolled outside and sat down on the grass, awaiting the arrival of Elaina for which her assistance was crucial to their mission.

Meanwhile, inside, Elaina finished off her meal and took care of the dishes. She slowly walked to the bath room, washed her face before coming back outside to meet her three acquaintances.

"Now what was it you 3 gentleman wanted?"
"The Village Elder wanted to see you urgently, miss" said Samuel, rather solemnly, tilting his head down and seeming to be an apologetic reply more than anything else.
"THEN WHY DID THREE PEOPLE COME? AND WHY ARE YOU APOLOGIZING TO ME?" She lets out a long sigh. "Inform the Village Elder I will come and see him soon" replied Elaina, an angry tone in her voice.

Samuel, Sebastian and Lance ran off down to the main village while Elaina prepared herself for the meeting, wearing a bluish cloak to match her beautiful blue eyes, no hat as to reveal her blonde hair and a teal dress to match her cloak. Taking her time in getting ready, 15 minutes lapsed. In that time Sebastian had been able to inform the village elder that Elaina would be coming and to prepare properly.

Elaina closed the drapes in her house, shut the door and proceeded to walk down the hill, reaching the village shortly after. As she looked around the village she saw familiar buildings, people walking in the streets (the town was paved with shingle paths around the buildings and houses, so that horses and people could pass through more easily). Looking to the left she saw the blacksmith house, a few grocery and supply stores, and a few run down houses that had been abandoned save for the orphanage which took in stray children. She looked around and saw the Village Elders' house, lying on a remote area to the north east, a stream surrounding it. A bridge lay across the stream, leading to the house. Much like Elaina's own house, it was on grass and had many trees around it. Further to the south there was an abandoned cave that had long since had it's use forgotten, a makeshift barrier protecting people from entering the cave.

She proceeded towards the elders house, people looking and greeting her as she progressed further north. Children ran through the streets playing their little games, while parents tried to stop them, others visiting the grocery stores and communing with other folk in the village. There looked to be a big gathering of people to the south east, leading Elaina to suspect that something was indeed worrying the village elder, and that the anxiety of the three men who visited her earlier was not without reason.

"Top o' the mornin' to ya, miss" said one of the older locals, Agnus.
"Good morning to you too Agnus. It's nice to see you up" replied Elaina.
"All because of you, miss" replied Agnus, a small smile on her face, and calm tone in her voice as she spoke to Elaina. "The Elder seems to be a more worryin' miss. I do hope you can help him", a tone of anxiety had entered her voice, and Elaina noted the change.
"I'll do my best", Elaina replied, as she moved forward across the bridge and knocked on the Elder's door.

"Come in" replied an old man, presumably the Elder.
"It's Elaina, Elder.", said Elaina.
"Ah! It's good to see you" he said, his eyes barely opening as the door swung open and Elaina entered the room. Around her she could see numerous bookshelves, a nice couch and a small table in the center of the room. There was a door to a small room in the top left hand corner of the room. ((I think I deleted a couple 'rooms' but still, try not to use the word 'room' too too much)) The couch and table were at a significantly lower level than the rest, forming what looked like a cup when she took in all her surroundings at once. Elaina walked down the stairs and sat down on one of the chairs nearest to the Elder.

"You asked for my assistance Elder?" said Elaina.
"That I didâ€
Isaiah 40:31
"But those who wait on the Lord
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint."
Gleph

Postby Gleph » Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:49 pm

Months passed and the village remained in peace, seeing little of monsters, and no more Elgan warriors. Elaina continued assisting the villages wherever needed, usually with medicines to fix a cold or advice pertaining to things that were on their mind. While the news had spread like wildfire initially, after a few months had passed everything had cooled down and now people were tending back to their own business rather than talk about Elaina and her special ability. After years of people talking about it, she gained a humble and modest attitude towards these affairs.

[----------------------------------------]

Just as some months prior, while Elaina was sitting down to her breakfast a man stormed into her nice pleasant cabin, causing a large ruckus and surely angering Elaina. For whatever reason, her sleep hadn't gone nicely as usual, and wasn't in the best of moods while eating her breakfast. Her door slamming open was the last straw and she erupted like a volcano at the young man.

"LAST STRAW! HEAR ME!" said Elaina, gripping her fist, thrusting towards the man and booting him out the door like there was no tomorrow. The nice young man never graced her presence again.

With a sweet innocent look on her face, Elaina continued saying "Did I do that?"

She sighed and decided that she should probably find out the reason why he had come. Finishing off her breakfast, she changed into her typical dress wear and gracefully walked outside, down the hill into the town. For some strange reason the calm air didn't comfort her like it usually did, and there was an overwhelming feeling of anxiety and distress present in the local inhabitants of the town.

"Whatever is the matter?" said Elaina to the majority of the Villagers.

One villager named Samson replied saying "C, come look miss. See for yourself"

She followed the villagers around to a small enclosure to the side of the Elders house. There to the distress of the villagers lay a soldier. A human soldier. With cuts and bruises all over his body, the Soldier was lucky to survive, gasping for breath even now.

"H, help me...." said the soldier.
"What is your name young man?" stated Elaina, a sense of confidence in her voice where there was nervousness in others.
"Augustus... of the Ixilian army", replied Augustus, straining even to say these small sentences.
"It's going to be alright Augustus, you are in good hands now" replied Elaina, a smile on her face, giving the soldier hope that he would pull through this.
She began searching through her bag for potions and other things to make him feel better, brewing up a concoction of various potions.
"Drink this" stated Elaina, "it will make you relax more easily for now. But we will need to do something more permanent at some stage down the line" she said, Augustus began to relax more, simply by the presence Elaina was providing for him
"Thank you... miss. Your presence here indeed brings joy to my heart, I have been blessed this day" replied Augustus. Blushing at the response that was given to her she replied saying "Why thank you Augustus. Please... call me Elaina"
"Of couse... Elaina" replied Augustus.

Elaina slowly carried the wounded soldier up to her cabin and laid him on her bed. Several villagers had come along with her and she appreciated the thoughtfulness they provided.

"If you want to make yourselves useful", Elaina said, directed at the Villagers, "go fetch some water from the river. We'll need a substantial amount to cure these wounds"

"Yes miss!" they replied in unison, and headed off for the river, carrying big wooden buckets so as to store the water.

Applying some cold leaves to the wounds did wonders even before the villagers had come back with water.
"These will help absorb the pain while I nurse the wounds" said Elaina.
"You're too kind..." replied Augustus
"Really... it's what I do. Nothing special" replied Elaina
"Even so... I don't quite know anyone so concerned with my well-being" replied Augustus
"Lie down, and take off those trousers and shirt, they will do you no good while I try fix things up" stated Elaina.
"As you wish... Elaina" a slight joyful feeling in his voice as he managed to amount a laugh towards her, his blue eyes sparkling.

That moment the villagers had come back with the water and in unison all the villagers said "All here miss!"
"Well done... I thank you all for your kindness and generosity in helping me out with this" replied Elaina
"It's all our pleasure, miss. It's the least we can do for you helping the rest of our town so much" replied the Villagers. They realized their presence wouldn't be needed in the room and waited outside in the hope that the soldier would recover from his injuries.

"Here..." water mixed with a special medicine, applied onto soft tree leaves provided an ointment for his wounds.
"This will sting, but that's a good sign" she replied, a smile on her face and sparkle in her eyes. Indeed it did sting, but Augustus didn't mind too much.
"You being here is more than enough reason to relieve myself of the pain I am suffering..." replied Augustus.
"Why thank you..." replied Elaina, blusing again at the remark Augustus had just made.

After a while the wounds began to heal and Augustus managed to stand up, though Elaina was against it and told him to rest a little while longer. "That feeling is natural, and shouldn't be followed. Rest until I come back to say it's alright" stated Elaina.

For the next few hours Villagers came and left, some even comforting the young soldier by letting him hold their hand, others merely worried of the soldier's condition and coming to inspect how it had gone. For the most part he was feeling alright, but admired the kindness of the villagers.

After the hours progressed, Elaina reentered the room and said it was alright for Augustus to get up from bed. He acknowledged this, and was glad he could finally walk around.

"Now what happened, I'm concerned for the villagers... if there's something out there that can rough up a soldier from the Ixilian army, we have cause for distress" said Elaina.
"Acknowledged" replied Augustus. "I guess I better tell my story then. But before I start, there was a note from the king to contact someone named 'Elaina' for her special ability." After speaking what he had just spoken, the thought had clicked: Elaina? "You are the Elaina this note speaks of?" stated Augustus
"I suppose so" replied Elaina, "I better know why it is I'm on a note given to you by the King however. Please, start with your story"

"Surely." replied Augustus.
"Firstly, near the capital a large increase in monsters and Elgar attacks are present. The purpose of the attacks is unclear, they are not threatening the defence of the capital at all, however the king thought it necessary that some guidance was required. You seem to have made your reputation well known over the years. Your opinion is very worthwhile to the King. Atleast, that's what the king said to me. I'm merely a messenger. But I have witnessed firsthand that amazing ability already, and I'm glad" said Augustus, taking a breather and grabbing a glass of water to refresh himself.

"I was assigned the mission of finding one Elaina Bertarella for the assistance of King Blake XVIII. I was explained she lived in a town called Dale in the south west corner of our kingdom, and so I set off with 4 other soldiers to find you. Months went by without contact from the Castle but our journey was hassle free for the most part, only finding outlandish wolves roaming the area. About a days journey before we ..." said Augustus

"You sustained those injuries for more than a day and didn't die? You are made of some tough stuff Augustus" Elaina remarked, cutting him off, "something has indeed blessed us this day. But i degress. Continue your story"

"You presumed correctly. Our party was ambushed by a bunch of Elgar and Elgar minions of which our small company could not deal with... my 4 comrades, who I've known since I was a little boy, all but ripped apart by the terrifying power of the Elgar", stated Augustus, tears falling from his eyes as memories good and bad flooded his mind. "Steve... the humorous of our bunch, a light in my life... Angblar... stolid as a machine, but a heart of gold. None could forget Rikki with his exciting attitude and amazing resilience towards tough weather. And last but no means... least." continued Augustus, pausing to catch his breathe and wipe away the tears. "my Brother Bertarello. A mentor to me, a guiding light in my life. His last words to me were. Run, you fool"

Elaina comforted him in his time of need, as tears poured from his eyes. "The Elgar... I swear on my brothers grave they will pay for this..." a hint of confidence and determination entered his voice. "I felt like I should tell you this of all people, and I guess it's fate that I was ordered to tell you... I felt I've known you for a lot longer than a day." replied Augustus.

"I have that effect on people" said Elaina, a small smile entering her face, along with a small tear, and a sparkle in her eye. "In any case, if I'm required to go to the kingdom castle, we better head off soon. But first we must get some rest as we have a long journey ahead of us"

Night settled and Elaina offered her cabin for Augustus so that he could get a nice sleep.
"Would you prefer to sleep on the bed or on the floor? "enquired Elaina
"Whichever suits" replied Augustus

How they arranged themselves is uncertain, but one thing is known, both had a nice night's sleep, getting up in the morning to the nice calm breeze that came from outside. Orange juice and the typical breakfast was served before Augustus woke up and when he did he was refreshingly delighted.
Gleph

Postby Gleph » Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:50 pm

Both had a nice breakfast, dressed in casual trouping clothes and set off to greet and say farewell to the villagers. After all farewells were given and the Village Elder said his thing to the two troupers, they left that small village, not knowing whether or not they would return...
Gleph

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:12 am

Interesting. I'll be waiting for more.
uc pseudonym

Return to Writing