here i go again

Unleash your creative writing skills here.

here i go again

Postby Nia-chan » Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:52 pm

What is AU and canon? Are they good or bad?
So this topic isn't totally useless, where would somebody go if they wanted to get their work published?
Don't make me hit you with my pocketbook :angel:
Nia-chan

Postby true_noir_chloe » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:28 pm

The cheapest thing to do is go to the library and look up the most recent issue of Writer's Market. I'd peruse the section which pertains to publishers that are interested in what you write; for example, short stories, articles, fiction, non-fiction, etc.... Then it's the hard part. You have to write a query letter. There are usually samples in the WM; but they also have books which handle query letters specifically. You can also opt to go on an online forum where you can place your work and hope by some chance a publisher or agent sees it. I, myself, don't trust doing that; but then, I'm just like that about internet stuff. :eyebrow: lol

Whatever you do, be sure and read the guidelines the editor's set forth for their publication. Most prefer you call their office and find out exactly what needs to be sent (note: be sure and address it to the right person). They really hate unsolicited material, because they get piles of it. Always be gracious and thankful for their time, because they have to spend a lot of time reading through queries, outlines and writer's works.

I hope you the best Nia-chan. I love your little avatar, it's so cute. :)

Regarding the AU and the canon - can you be more specific. I'm not sure what that means without more of a reference point. I think I know what canon is, but I don't want to take the chance I'm wrong since I've never heard of AU.

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby Nia-chan » Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:35 am

I've heard about canon and AU in the romantic love topic that was closed and I was just wondering what that was.
Thank you.
Don't make me hit you with my pocketbook :angel:
Nia-chan

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:33 pm

true_noir_chloe can handle the last question far better than I. Fortunately, I understand the first ones.

AU = alternate universe. Basically a fanfiction in which you change something intrinsic to the universe (to use a random example from real life: what happens if Nazi Germany had won WWII). Also they are used for massive and sometimes bizarre changes (like setting Trigun in midevil Europe, for example)

canon: what is legitimate information from the series being written about.

In relationship to romance, a canon couple is one that is actually stated in a given anime. An AU couple is just someone's random idea of what they might like.

Did that help?
uc pseudonym

Return to Writing