Assistance (not a story)

Unleash your creative writing skills here.

Assistance (not a story)

Postby Kisa » Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:52 am

Well, I didn't see a thread on assistance for those new to writing stories, so I thought I'd start one. I am currently on my first one (others were failed attempts) and my cousin is on her 3rd or 4th one and we would like to hear thoughts fromother authors. . . This can be a place not to post a full story, but to talk about stories and how we come up with them, ect . . . Love to hear from fellow writers! :jump:
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby inkhana » Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:58 am

Wow...well, there's so much to know...^^ Is there something in particular you'd like to talk about?

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Lochaber Axe » Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:00 pm

I of course will be here for assistance in your writing endeavors.

:sweat: ... more knight talk again. :forehead:
Lochaber Axe

Postby Kisa » Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:46 pm

Well, ummm . . . just like how do you develop a story. I have a hard time getting it past the first chapter. I have a hard time continuing and keeping track of my train of thought . . . I know this is just like writers block, but it always happens even if I have a good base for my story . . . Also, is there any particular way to focus on a title? This is probably stupid, but I figured I'd ask . . .
:red:
Kisa

Postby true_noir_chloe » Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:36 pm

Personally, I start a story with a first sentence, a "what if this happened?," or a protagonist, and see where it goes from there. I sometimes have an outline, and sometimes I don't. I wrote an entire novel in two weeks by just writing and writing like crazy. Sometimes ideas come, and when they don't you need to stop and start reading. I like to read literature from great writers. I even think reading some Louis Sachar and Richard Peck is fine for younger writers.

Writing is a form of art. And, like art it's something you have to just do to get better at it.

I'll help you in whatever way you'd like Belldandy. Please, if a question pops up in your head feel free and ask. If not me, then some other writer here will surely be able to add their two cents.^-^

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby HondaTooru » Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:10 pm

Ooh! Omoshiroi desu! (Interesting!) I'ma just gonna sit here in the corner and eavesdrop! :sweat: Always wanted to be a writer, but just don't have the knack for it. I'll bet you ask some of the same questions I would! I never know where to start either.
[align=center][align=left][color=Plum]Autumn アータム / Aki [/color] (I respond to both.) :angel:[color=MediumTurquoise][size=84]
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."
[/color][/SIZE]- Ralph Waldo Emerson

[font=book antiqua][/font]
[color=PaleTurquoise]Friends, some of us have money and some of us have talent. All of us have blood [color=PaleTurquoise]and [/color]time.[/color]
Image Find your nearest blood donation center by clicking HERE.
[color=Plum]Image Sign up to find local volunteer[/color] opportunities HERE. Remember, volunteer opportunities have a wide range of time commitments. Even if you can only spare a few hours per month, there might be an organization out there who needs you!

[/align]
[/align]
HondaTooru

Postby inkhana » Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:24 pm

Any of my ideas usually come from a little scene I get in my head...^^ It's usually not as concrete as "what if someone did this/what if this happened" but often these things evolve from that. If you come up with an idea of any kind, feed it. Read things similar to what you're working on. (Don't let yourself get sidetracked by something that could make you want to write fanfic, that will kill the little flame). As you come up with more and more ideas, always write them down (this is imperative!). Keep sheets of paper with you at all times, even if it's a little notepad. Don't let anything you think of escape you; it could be useful later!

It's true, though...the only way you'll get better is with practice. You'll fall a LOT. I did. But it's worth it when you write that last line in your story, look back on it, make a note of the word count and feel really good about yourself...^^

SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.

- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby Kisa » Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:30 pm

All of my trys have started out with I pick a character I feel I can use and describe well, and really get into, and start the story with them in the middle of something, then introduce them . . . its just after that initial action/ description/hint of more, I can't seem to get it going . . . I get frustrated when it starts to sound like a manga I have read or an anime I am currently into . . . I want it to be original not a copy of something already done just in my own words.
:sweat: :dizzy: :waah!:
Kisa

Postby Icarus » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:06 am

Like they have been saying, just write. If you have an idea, excellent; if not, just put down a word, a phrase, anything, just something to start and see what ideas spool out from there. And as for your stories becoming somethng that you've read, can't help you there. The same thing happens to me, and it is one of the reasons I don't do fiction. I also think that's why really original writers are lauded so much, 'cause if you have read enough, you could without much effort make an outline for a genre that would fit 90% of the books in it.

If you will excuse me. *drags a chair to the corner and sits down w/Honda*
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby HondaTooru » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:46 am

:sweat: All this pep-talk and good advice is really inspiring! Maybe I'll have a go at it sometime in the near future. I've never tried writing a story for manga, but as long as I steer clear of japanese teenagers that get sucked into another world and have to save it, I should be ok right? :grin:
[align=center][align=left][color=Plum]Autumn アータム / Aki [/color] (I respond to both.) :angel:[color=MediumTurquoise][size=84]
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."

[color=PaleTurquoise]Friends, some of us have money and some of us have talent. All of us have blood [color=PaleTurquoise]and [/color]time.[/color]
[color=Plum]Image Sign up to find local volunteer[/color] opportunities HERE. Remember, volunteer opportunities have a wide range of time commitments. Even if you can only spare a few hours per month, there might be an organization out there who needs you!

[/align]
[/align]
HondaTooru

Postby inkhana » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:49 am

>but as long as I steer clear of japanese teenagers that get sucked into another world and have to save it, I should be ok right? >

There ya go! That's the spirit! :thumb:

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:56 am

Interesting thread.

Unlike most here, I plan my stories out beforehand. Sometimes in quite some detail. For that matter, I image scenes in my head before I get around to writing them, so at times I can write four or five pages in almost no time.

As for titles... I don't know, most of the time they just come to me. At times I really have to rack my brain to come up with something. Generally I like to pick an underlying theme of the story, or, if that's not possible, something that is pretty significant. At the very worst you could just be mysterious.
uc pseudonym

Postby Kisa » Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:25 pm

You all are giving such good advice! Thanks a ton! :thumb:
I am currently working on a story and then if it works out, I would like to draw a manga for it. My cousin does these all the time and is pretty good at it, I wish it was that easy for me! I love to be creative and comeup with stuff, but most of the time it dies half way through *sigh* oh well . . . :sweat:
The one I am on now has gotten further than the others so maybe I got something this time. . . I am also enjoying this story much more too, I guess thats the key, write what you like, not just to write because you feel like you have to come up with something!
*oooo I feel a lightbulb going off like I discovered soemthing . . .* ;)
What types of things are y'all writitng about currently? Mines not that far so I can't really tell yet . . . :forehead:
Kisa

Postby inkhana » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:48 pm

Well, at this point, I'm trying to put together what will happen in Steelblood in later issues, and I'm writing the script for the second issue. Other than that, not much...:sweat: I see many pages of hastily-scribbled notes in my future. LOL

May I suggest Timeline Maker? I'm using it to help plot the future of my story. It seems to help when I can assign dates to events.

http://www.timelinemaker.com/

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby true_noir_chloe » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:41 pm

The Timeline maker seems like a great idea. I'll have to look into that. ^^

>>What types of things are y'all writitng about currently? Mines not that far so I can't really tell yet <

I write a lot. I don't know why, it's just something I do and love. Added to my usual songs and little uplifting poems I write a bunch of different genres; but, always the ones I love to read myself. I think you'll see that you always write what you're interested in reading. I mean, you have to read your own work over and over again to get it just right, so it has to be something you enjoy reading. :)

I have a graphic novel that is being drawn right now. I wrote it in June as a summer project. The title is AFTER LAND and it was one I wrote with the premise, "what if?" It's a fantasy/quest gn similar to Rave Master, but a bit more shojo.

I'm in another collaboration (I'm the writer) with another person here at CAA on a project called sEEkers. It's a sci-fi/thriller that is in the serious vein of Wolf's Rain or Raxhephon and Witch Hunter Robin. I'm also trying to finish the novella here that's called, "Werewolf of Tupelo." I also have to clean up a novel I'm sending off, hopefully soon, to a local agent. The title of that is, The Sitting Job. That's something I'm very fond of and it's a backward murder mystery.

I also grow really attached to my characters and try to instill a lot of heart into them. My hours to write are really odd right now since I have to teach my kiddos and read both school texts and for my own enjoyment. Right now I'm reading Elizabeth George for the first time and have finally found out what everyone is raving about. She is such an inspiration. I'm sure she'll have an effect on my writing. :grin:

I hope that answers some of your questions. Remember, keep writing. :thumb:

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby HondaTooru » Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:26 pm

I just read the 3rd chapter of Steelblood, Ink! It was wonderful! And inspiration to us all!

[/align]
[/align]
HondaTooru

Postby inkhana » Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:48 pm

I'm glad you like it...^^ I'm also glad God has given me the ability to make others happy with my work, glory to He Who deserves it...!

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Return to Writing