which is better?

Unleash your creative writing skills here.

which is better?

Postby Nia-chan » Sun Sep 28, 2003 3:58 pm

First or third person?
Nia-chan

Postby Razgriz » Sun Sep 28, 2003 4:12 pm

Depends, I generally prefer third person as you can see the story from different perspectives rather than just one. Plus, one of my previous English teacher said it was more "realistic" in third, whatever that's suppose to mean.
Razgriz

Postby inkhana » Sun Sep 28, 2003 6:43 pm

I've read good stories in both perspectives, but third person is my preference. It's a lot easier to write and offers more flexibility. ^^ So I guess neither is better, it's just whatever makes you feel most comfortable.

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Sun Sep 28, 2003 7:33 pm

I'd say it depends on how much of the surrounding circumstances you'd like your readers to know. A story in the first person restricts your readers to only knowing what the narrator knows and sees and hears (etc.); a third-person story allows you to tell what's going on anywhere in the world at any given point in time, so to say.

Like everyone has said already, the choice is yours. ^_^

(Edit: I just realized that everyone else has already said exactly the same thing that I did. :red: )
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Sep 28, 2003 7:47 pm

I prefer third person, but depending on the character, first person can be fun too.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Rashiir » Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:09 am

Rashiir thinks that third person is always better for talking about yourself, although first person can be good for talking about other people in helping you to put yourself in their place. Er, that is, to put Rashiir's self in my place.
"Be joyful always." - 1 Thes 5:16
Rashiir

Postby Blewin » Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:01 am

i prefer third person too, but writing in first person seems to be better at bringing across the person's thought imtimately. For me, i like writing and reading in third person, not sure why though, just like it. :)
Blewin

Postby EireWolf » Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:05 pm

It depends on what angle you want to portray. (Basically I'm saying what everyone else has already said.) :)

An example of a very good story written in first person is "Crown Duel" by Sherwood Smith. It's written in such a way that you can "see" more of the story, at least more of the main character, than she herself does, but she is still only telling you her own thoughts and feelings. It's hard to explain, so you just have to read it. :) It's a good read, especially if you like somewhat humorous mildly romantic fantasy.

You have to be a really good writer to effectively pull off first person, in my opinion.
EireWolf

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:11 pm

uc must give Rashiir internet confections for that.

Personally I strongly prefer third person, as I like to shift from character to character. Also, there is much good to be gained in scenes that the main character has no part in. First person can work very well, but I believe that most of its benefits can be accomplished relatively easily in third person.
uc pseudonym

Postby Rashiir » Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:54 pm

I had another idea: you can do both! You can switch right in the middle of a sentence if you like! Just make a change right in the middle of the story. Good times.
"Be joyful always." - 1 Thes 5:16
Rashiir

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:25 am

You think that second person is a better idea. Considering first and third person seems to be pointless to you, because you think it is obvious that second person is a great cross between the two.
uc pseudonym

Return to Writing