The Spring Of Our Destiny: Kasumi And The Ambassador The Prime Minister

Unleash your creative writing skills here.

The Spring Of Our Destiny: Kasumi And The Ambassador The Prime Minister

Postby Rev. Doc » Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:10 pm

The Spring Of Our Destiny: Kasumi And The Ambassador

By Doc

The following story is based on some characters created by Rumiko Takahashi

The Prime Minister

Prime Minister Takehito Ogata sat watching as the sun rose above the city. He was tired. Physically, emotionally, spiritually he was drained. He sighed as he looked down once more at the newspaper that was lying opened on the table before him. He wondered why he had accepted this position. He came from a long line of public servants, and he himself had served over 45 years. They were years marked with dedication. But inwardly he pondered how long his current position would last.

One after another the past six Prime Ministers had resigned. None of them served for long, most left within months of appointment, and none accomplished anything that had advanced Japan. It was a thankless job. He wondered if accepting it would spell the end to his political career. When he started he was determined to make a difference for the people and the country he loved so dearly. Now everything weighed so heavily on his shoulders, he shook his head and glanced out the window.

His thoughts turned to the American ambassador he would be meeting with soon. The two men got along well. If it were not for the issue at hand the Prime Minister had no doubt that they would be very close friends. But politics had a way of dividing. It wasn’t the men themselves that were at odds. Lobbyists on both sides were keeping so much from being accomplished. The United States and Japan were at a stalemate, and the possibility of resolving it grew slimmer with each day. Ogata felt every one of his 63 years and then some.

Lifting a cup to his lips he sipped. He smiled to himself, as he tasted some of the strawberry vanilla tea that had been a gift from the ambassador. Ogata collected teas from around the world and his young American friend had obtained this particular blend from the ambassador of Slovenia. It had become one of his personal favorites. He had been greatly surprised when a small case of it had arrived at his door several weeks’ back. But such was the generosity of Ambassador McMillan.

The Prime Minister was not surprised with the fact that the American ambassador was endearing himself with the Japanese people in such a short time. He looked over at the case of Pocky that he would be taking to McMillan in a few minutes. It was the American’s favorite and he kept a canister of it on the desk in his office. But very little was consumed by him. Ogata smiled to himself at the thought of all the Japanese schoolchildren who had the opportunity of reaching into that canister for the treat.

Ambassador McMillan made it a practice to invite a group of children from an area school to the embassy each Friday. He then personally gave them a tour and told them about the country that he represented. The Prime Minister’s first meeting with the new representative had been scheduled the very first Friday of his arrival. However, McMillan called explaining to Ogata that he had a previous engagement with the children. His curiosity getting the best of him, he could not resist going to the embassy to witness for himself what was to become a weekly ritual. It was truly an impressive thing. And each tour would end in the same way and in the same place. The ambassador’s office with him handing out Pocky.

The Prime Minister wanted to call the press to cover what was going on with these tours but McMillan would not have it. “I am not out to win the masses,” he had stated.

“Then how will you win the trust of the Japanese people,” Ogata had countered.

The young ambassador smiled and said, “One at a time.”

The American was a good and decent man. At one point as the talks were getting heated the Prime Minister considered resigning himself. At that time it was no courier that brought the strawberry vanilla tea, it was the ambassador himself who showed up with a thermos of it. They had stayed up and talked very late into the night. And not about the political issues at hand. They talked about life. Their likes and dislikes. They covered topics that ranged from families to baseball to food. And as they concluded they both made a pact. Neither would leave their respective offices until issues at hand were settled. And now he wondered if he would be able to keep his word regarding that.

The door opened and an aide came in and bowed. “Your car is here sir.”

Ogata slowly rose from his chair and closed the paper that lay before him. He bent to pick up the box of Pocky. The young aide intervened and lifting it headed quickly out the door. The older man watched the retreating figure and went over and slipped on his coat. As he made his way out to the car he took note that it would be another beautiful spring day. And then he remembered his mission. He thought to himself as the car was driving off, “It’s amazing how rice can ruin one’s day lately.”
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby Rev. Doc » Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:11 pm

On the opposite side of town Kasumi Tendo was traveling to the same destination as the Prime Minister. For the second time in as many days she found herself in a taxi. Her original plan had been to walk. It was another glorious day. She turned and looked at her traveling companion who had insisted on coming, and on the taxi ride.

Nabiki Tendo sat counting some change in her hand. Looking out the window a frown crossed her face. She leaned forward towards the front and shouted to the driver, “Are you sure this is the fastest and shortest way to the American Embassy?” The driver acting very unconcerned just nodded his head.

Kasumi smiled to herself and glanced out her window thinking about how predictable her younger sister was. And then her thoughts went back to how she had been so duped the day before. The fact that she had been so easily mislead bothered her greatly. She should have recognized the new American ambassador immediately. She had played the events over in her mind a hundred times during the night as she lay in bed. Why had she not put two and two together? She thought she had pinpointed what had thrown her…

“Find out the next diplomatic or military flight that is going stateside.”

Almost without thinking the woman cited to him, “There is a diplomatic flight leaving at seven o’clock this evening.”

With an air of satisfaction he once more looked at Mrs. Sato, “Do you think you can be ready to leave by seven?” he asked in Japanese.

With a stunned look the older woman nodded her head affirmatively.

The woman standing behind the American shook her head. “That flight may already be booked up,” she said apprehensively.

The American turned to her. “Then bump someone off of it!” he declared. “Even if it’s the ambassador!” With that statement the young woman gave a sly grin as she was writing.

It all happened so quickly and she had been so nervous and frightened. She knew that this individual was a man of authority and high position in the embassy staff, but she had no idea that he was that high.

“Penny for your thoughts!”

Kasumi turned to face her sister who had just voiced the offer.

“Well first of all, I don’t really think that they are worth that much. Secondly, I don’t think you would part with that much money so easily Nabiki,” Kasumi said laughing.

Nabiki managed an uncharacteristic wounded look. “Hey, we’re sisters after all. I’d be happy to part with a penny for you anytime.”

She watched as Kasumi turned once more to look out the taxi window. Just what was she up to? “Lord knows,” Nabiki thought, “I have a million and one things I could be doing today.” In fact that morning she had walked down the stairs going over in her mind her day’s activities. She wasn’t surprised to find that Kasumi had breakfast sitting on the table waiting for the awakening household. That was characteristic of the oldest Tendo daughter. What really startled her was when she found lunch prepared and sitting on the counter in the kitchen with a note to her family giving instructions about it’s preparation. The note concluded, “Have some errands to run, will be home late this afternoon. Love Kasumi.”

Nabiki found her sister in the front hall slipping on her coat. “And just where are you off to?” she asked.

Kasumi jumped at the sound of Nabiki’s voice, which just added to the younger sister’s suspicion that something was up. They stared at one another for a few moments as if the older was weighing the implications of telling the younger about what was going on.

Kasumi finished putting on her coat and stated, “I just wanted to run down to the embassy and thank the ambassador for what he did for Mrs. Sato yesterday.”

“Say you don’t mind if I go with you?” Nabiki had asked slipping on her own coat not waiting for an answer. She had remembered how odd her sister had acted the night before after the family had watched the news, especially the report about the new American ambassador.

Kasumi sighed and said, “I suppose not.” With that the two headed out the door.

Nabiki did have other things that needed to be done that day. But she also was one who liked to stay on top of things. You never knew when bits and pieces of information might come in handy in the course of the day.

Kasumi in the meantime was thinking about the advantages and disadvantages of having Nabiki with her. She wanted to take her time and see more of the embassy, possibly finding someone who could give her a tour and answer some questions for her. On the downside Nabiki had the tendency to bore easily with something that didn’t really interest her and would no doubt want to leave as soon as possible. On the upside the middle Tendo daughter had nerves of steel and Kasumi was still a little nervous about returning today. Nabiki certainly would add that additional push she might require to get her into the compound once more.

The taxi that they were riding in stopped short of the embassy gates. As Kasumi glanced out the front windshield she saw Sergeant Miller standing with his hand up halting the traffic. He then moved to the gate and opened it allowing a familiar looking Limousine to enter the compound. She recognized it as one that she had seen the day before, flying a Japanese flag at the front. With precision Miller closed the gate and returned to his post allowing traffic once more to flow freely.

The taxi coasted up to the gate allowing its passengers to slide out. Nabiki handed the driver one thousand five hundred and fifty yen, of which one thousand five hundred and forty went to the cab fare. The driver grunted at the ten yen tip. Nabiki flashed him an evil look and mumbled, “Perhaps you’ll find a shorter route for us next time.” With that she turned and followed her older sister to the guardhouse.

Kasumi was carrying a wrapped package. More than once on their way over Nabiki glanced down at it as it sat between the two on the seat. It was a mystery to her what it contained. Her sister was such a sucker where people were concerned and it was no doubt some sort of confection freshly prepared to show appreciation for an act of kindness. For the ambassador no doubt.

As the two approached the gate the marine once more appeared and asked, “May I help you?” Nabiki noticed that he looked nervously at the package that her sister was holding close.

Kasumi smiled and said, “Good morning. Yes I was here yesterday with a friend of mine to obtain a visitor’s visa. I was wondering if it would be possible for my sister and myself to enter and just look around the compound?”

Not taking his eyes off of the package Miller responded, “I am sorry Miss we have no scheduled tours of the embassy today. The Prime Minister has just entered for talks with the ambassador and we are on a high level of security. The most that you will be able to do is look around the front grounds as you enter and see the immigration building that you were in yesterday. And I will have to hold your packages here at the gate until you leave.” The guard motioned to the package that Kasumi was holding and to her shopping bag.

As she handed him the wrapped package she explained, “Oh I wasn’t going to take this in. I brought this for you.” She handed the sergeant the gift and smiled. “They are some cookies I baked last night. I found the recipe in an American cookbook I have. They are called chocolate chip, but I didn’t have any of those. So I chopped some chocolate candy up and used that. I hope you will enjoy them.”

Miller looked dumbly at the parcel. He had never received anything like this before while holding his watch at the front gate. “Well, thank you very much Miss…”

“Tendo, Kasumi Tendo. And this is my sister Nabiki,” she said still smiling.

Nabiki gave a small uninterested wave of the hand from behind her sister.

Kasumi continued, “I thought they might give you a feeling of home, being so far away from America and all. May I ask you a question?”

Miller looked from the package to the young women before him still somewhat off guard. “Yeah sure I guess so.”

“I was just wondering how you acquired such a firm grasp of the Japanese language?” she asked. “That was one of the first things that I noticed yesterday when my friend and I arrived here.”

The sergeant relaxed a little. The woman before him did not seem to pose any risk to the embassy and her questions were innocent enough. “Well, you see my parents are missionaries to Japan and are living in Fukuoka. I was born in America but we moved here when I was two years old. So really when I think of home, Japan is what really comes to mind. I went to college in the states and then joined the marines. They were looking for some men to fill the posts here at the embassy and since I already spoke the language the new ambassador requested me. In fact he has implemented a policy that all personnel have a background or begin immediately learning the language and customs of Japan. Fortunately, I am way ahead of everyone else.”
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby Rev. Doc » Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:12 pm

It hit Miller at that moment that he was being too talkative with this young lady. The same thought was crossing the minds of two individuals monitoring the wall of close circuit TV screens deep within the compound. One of them, a man in a dark blue suit who’s nametag declared him to be one “Marcus Conway, Senior Security Officer” frowned and turned to the younger man next to him named Baker. “What are their Id numbers?” he asked.

The junior agent looked at a screen to his side. “They will be assigned numbers four and five,” he replied.

I want you to monitor their location very closely,” Conway demanded and stepped out of the room.

Kasumi in the meantime was enjoying her talk with Miller. Nabiki was leaning against the gate with a bored look on her face.

“Oh then I guess these cookies will not be such a treat after all,” she said disappointedly.

“No, no, that’s not it at all. It’s not often that I get home cooked goods. And to tell the truth, chocolate chip is my favorite kind of cookie. Thank you very much, I really appreciate it,” he responded gratefully.

Once again a smile graced Kasumi’s face. “You’re so very welcome.” She replied, bowing.

Nabiki coughed in order to get her sister’s attention. “So are we going in or what?” she asked.

“If we may for just a few moments,” Kasumi said handing Miller her shopping bag. He took it and handed her the clipboard with the sign in sheet that she remembered from the day before. She thought to herself how much she was adapting to all of this. She signed her name and then handed it to Nabiki to do the same. After each had received a visitor’s nametag they entered the compound.

Once more the measures of security escaped the attention of the older Tendo daughter, but not her companion. Nabiki glanced around her taking note of how tight it was, catching sight of supposedly hidden cameras and several guards stationed on the roof of the compound. Men whom Kasumi assumed where businessmen wearing company suits Nabiki rightly pegged as security officers keeping a watch on the crowds moving in and out. She didn’t know if it was paranoia, but it seemed like several were keeping a close eye on her and her sister.

The two came to the fork in the path, the right leading to the immigration building and the left leading to what the sign said were embassy administration offices. Kasumi instinctively chose the right following Miller’s instructions. Nabiki on the other hand stopped and studied the two paths individually. With a quick decision she moved off to the left. Kasumi, sensing that she was now traveling alone, turned and saw her wayward sibling going down the wrong path.

“Nabiki,” she called in a loud whisper. “We’re not suppose to be in that part of the compound.”

The younger turned to her sister and crossed her arms, “I didn’t pay for a taxi here and most likely back and sacrifice most of my day in order to see a visa processing plant. I’m going to see where some major decisions are made.” And with that she proceeded up the path boldly.

Kasumi stood wide-eyed and in shock as she watched the figure of her sister moving towards the restricted building. With heart beating faster she quickly looked around and hurried after her whispering, “Oh my!”

The young man watched the two figures on the monitor moving towards the administration building. He moved his wrist up to his mouth and began to speak into what appeared to be a cufflink attached to his shirt. It was in reality a two-way communication device, which patched him immediately to Marcus Conway, chief of security.

“Mr. Conway, about those two women that you asked me to watch, they are headed to the administration building.” The young man’s words were immediately transferred to an earpeice, which was worn by the chief.

Conway was on the fifth floor of the administration building. He was in a room with a number of people hurrying about making last minute preparations for the meeting between the ambassador and Japan’s Prime Minister. Conway turned his back on the crowd and in the same fashion raised his wrist to his mouth.

“Dispatch Collins, Jackson and Chin to intercept,” Conway said calmly. “Do not immediately eject. Bring them to interrogation.” With that the chief of security once more turned his close scrutiny to the proceedings in the room.

Ambassador Wade McMillan sat behind his desk looking at his chief aide worriedly. He might have been mistaken as a father figure for her. However, he was only forty. Perhaps it was the fact that he was already beginning to gray slightly at the temples, which contrasted his otherwise dark hair. It gave him a wise, distinguished look. At six foot two inches he was also a very commanding figure. However, this was displaced by the kind brown eyes, which were a feature that captivated the attention and calmed the souls of most people who came into contact with him.

Mary Kennedy, immediately opposite him on the other side of the desk, was a stark contrast to the ambassador. At the age of thirty-eight she didn’t look a day over twenty-five. She had short brown hair, which came to her shoulders, and green eyes that conveyed an authoritarian spirit. Most who knew her said that the no nonsense attitude complemented her bosses more laid back style. She wore glasses but only when needed. She felt they made her look timid and weak. However, the thick black frames she always chose added to the over and above stance that she wanted people to assume. At five foot nine inches she was taller than most of the women at the embassy. She was most often seen right behind the ambassador and this position had earned her the code name “The Shadow” among the security team. It was when she was alone however, that most dreaded her presence. She was a person who got the job done no matter the cost. And she always watched out loyally for the best interests of the ambassador. But at this moment she was feeling anything but superior. She sat with her face buried in one hand and was clutching her stomach with the other.

“I can’t believe you let me eat that sushi last night,” she said eyeing him between her fingers.

He raised an eyebrow and responded, “I told you to get the chicken.”

Quickly standing she clutched a clipboard to her stomach and headed towards the door. On her way she called over her shoulder, “I’ll be back in a minute. Don’t you dare go in to that meeting until I get back, do you understand?”

McMillan smiled to himself and called out, “Yes ma’am.”

As Kennedy exited one door, a male aide opened another on the opposite side of the room. “Mr. Ambassador, the Prime Minister has arrived.”

The Ambassador slowly rose from his desk looking at the door that Kennedy had just disappeared through. “Then we had better not keep the Prime Minister waiting,” he said as he slipped his suit coat on and followed the aide out the door.

Kennedy pressed her head against the empty elevator wall. The ladies room on the fifth floor was occupied as was the one on the forth. She looked down at the lighted button she had pushed moments ago designating the first floor. The bathroom there was larger for public use. She prayed for the elevator’s speed compared to what the previous night’s sushi was doing to her intestinal system.

As the elevator was opening she shot out catching her name badge on the metal door, pulling it off of her blouse. She stopped for the briefest of moments only to pick it up and attached it to the clipboard she clutched in front of her. In her haste she did not notice the two female figures enter hurriedly through the double-glassed front door of the administration building. She made a bee line for the woman’s room across from the elevator and upon entering cast her clipboard and glasses on the counter and entered the first stall thanking God for it’s vacancy.

Nabiki did not have to look back to know they were being followed. She could feel their presence. She had picked up her pace and reached back and took her sister’s hand pulling her along. Kasumi was having a hard time keeping up with her.

As they entered into the lobby, the younger Tendo saw a woman hurrying from an elevator to a door directly across from it. Judging from the look on her face Nabiki correctly assumed it to be the ladies room and headed for it with Kasumi in tow. They had reached it and entered just as the three male security officers entered the lobby from outside.

The tallest of the three, Jackson looked for any sign of movement. His attention went directly to the elevator doors that were closing. He rushed over with his two companions closely behind and watched the floor indicator above the doors as it progressed upwards. He had not gotten a look at the women’s faces and had not noticed anything about their dress before the call to apprehend came through. As the elevator stopped at the fifth floor he frantically scurried towards the stairwell down the hall. He turned and shouted, “Chin, you bring the elevator back down and then back up. Contact the chief and tell him we have an infection on the fifth floor.” With that Jackson and Collins were off taking two steps at a time.
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby Rev. Doc » Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:13 pm

The middle Tendo daughter had noticed upon entering that the first stall was occupied. She turned on the sink and let the water run in order to cover any conversation between herself and her sister.

Nabiki stood looking at her image in the mirror. “Now this is an interesting situation,” she thought to herself. The badge that she was wearing on her blouse caught her eye. She thought for a moment and unclipped it. Turning to her companion she demanded, “Give me your name tag.”

Kasumi looking at something she had picked up off of the counter. She did what she was told without even thinking focused on what was in her hands.

Kasumi flipped the clipboard around so her sister could see the name and picture on the tag attached to it. “I know her,” the eldest said. “This woman is the aide to the ambassador. My goodness! I bet she will be needing these,” she exclaimed holding up the pair of glasses. She looked down at the running water. “Your wasting that.” She said pointing.

Nabiki sighed and reached over to shut off the faucet. As she turned back it was only to see Kasumi going out the door. “Kasumi, wait don’t go out there…” But it was too late. Nabiki quietly walked over to the door and listened for any sound of a struggle that would indicate that her older sister had been apprehended. She jumped when the toilet in the first stall flushed and at the same time Kasumi reopened the door banging her in the head.

“Oh, I’m sorry Nabiki. Are you coming?” She asked.

As the two exited the bathroom Nabiki noticed a janitor’s cart to the side. As her sister moved towards the elevator she went to the cart and clipped the two guest nametags to the back of the cloth trash container out of anyone’s sight, and then joined Kasumi in front of the elevator.

Jackson, Collins, and Chin stood in front of their boss who was holding the elevator door open with his hand. Each had very nervous looks on their faces.

“What do you mean you lost them?” Conway asked. “We have state of the art equipment here. We possess high tech devices that foreign governments only dream about in regards to security, and you stand there and tell me you lost them?”

It was Collins the junior officer who spoke up first, “Well, sir…”

Conway gave him a look that not only conveyed his displeasure but also the fact that he dared him to utter one more word. Collins slunk back behind the other two.

“I suggest that you gentlemen get about the business of finding those two women before they find their targets,” he said stepping aside.

He raised his wrist to his mouth, contacting Baker in the monitoring room. “Give me the location of numbers four and five,” he asked quietly. He listened for a moment and then turned to the three. “You’re in luck. They’re on the first floor in the women’s bathroom. Now get down there and pick them up and get them to interrogation. I’ll be there after the meeting is over.”

The elevator doors closed on the three men who stood quietly inside.

Nabiki was getting very impatient with the elevator. It seemed to be stuck on the fifth floor and was going nowhere fast. She looked down the hall and noticed the stairwell. Turning to Kasumi she asked, “Feel like some exercise?” And headed off down the hall with her sister following behind.

Looking back at the clipboard Kasumi clutched to her chest, Nabiki asked, “How do you know where to take that anyway?”

Her sister flipped it around and looked at the nametag. “I think it has an office number, 306. We’ll just go to the third floor. She should be there or someone can tell us where to find her.”

“Logical,” the younger Tendo thought. “And maybe if we return it she’ll be grateful enough to get us out of this place,” she mused further.

Mary Kennedy slid out of the stall with a feeling of relief. The pain had passed for the time being. Once the meeting was over with she was going home for the day. “Yeah right!” she mumbled to herself looking at the counter where she had tossed her clipboard and glasses. However, all that was there was counter space.

She looked around on the floor and under the counter. Still nothing. At that moment a cleaning lady came into the washroom pushing a cart. Kennedy frantically grabbed her. “Have you seen a clipboard with a name tag and a pair of glasses?” she yelled.

The startled cleaner nervously replied, “N-no ma’am.”

Kennedy was spinning around in a circle scanning the floor realizing the major security breach and the implications of it. “Weren’t you in here just a few moments ago? I heard the water running.”

“No I just got here Miss Kennedy,” the employee replied.

As the woman was speaking three men with pistols drawn burst into the ladies room. The two women backed against the wall as Jackson screamed, “Freeze!”

Everyone in the room eyed one another sizing up the situation. When the shock had worn off Kennedy grabbed Jackson by the front of his suit. “What are you trying to do, give us a heart attack?” She yelled.

Jackson broke free and looked around. Knelling he looked under the stalls. “Where are the other two? He asked turning to Kennedy.

“What other two? What are you talking about?” She replied.

Jackson raised his wrist to his mouth with a sick feeling in the pit of his stomach. “Baker, give me the location of Id numbers four and five?”

He waited a moment and then the voice from the monitoring room replied, “Still in the ladies restroom on first floor.”

All five occupants looked around. “Negative,” he responded. “We are at that location and we cannot account for them.”

It was Chin standing behind the cleaning cart who at that moment looked down to see something clipped behind a mop on the fabric garbage container. “I found them,” he announced and held up the two nametags.

The sight of the tags jolted Kennedy to realization. “Third floor,” she said.
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby Rev. Doc » Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:14 pm

The two sisters stood in front of door 306. Kasumi knocked again but still there was no answer. “Maybe she went out to lunch,” she responded.

Nabiki rolled her eyes. “It’s only 10:30 in the morning.”

The older sister smiled. “Maybe she is having brunch today.”

The two looked up and down the hall. It was deserted. “Man,” Nabiki said. “Doesn’t anyone work around here?” She started down the hall to the elevator. “Well let’s try this thing again. We’ll take the clipboard and glasses to the front desk on the first floor and leave it there. Then we’ll get the heck out of here.”

Kasumi joined her sister at the elevator. “But we still haven’t gotten to see anything,” she said disappointed.

Nabiki was relieved when the doors opened. “At least this thing is working now,” she thought. As she stepped inside the door to the stairwell at the other end burst open and three men appeared. The one in the front pointed at them and shouted, “Hold it right there!”

Kasumi turned to look and the elevator doors started to close. Nabiki in a loud whisper said, “Get in stupid.”

Kasumi looked back at her sister with a hurt looked on her face. As the doors came to a close she replied, “I’m not stupid.”

The three men raced up to the eldest Tendo. Kasumi turned to the approaching figures and smiled. And then she did the only thing that she could think of doing. She slid the glasses she was holding in her hand onto her face.

Jackson looked down at the clipboard that she was holding to her chest. The picture on the badge was obscured by the woman’s arm but this woman definitely had high security clearance as could be seen by the blue coloration of the nametag.

“Excuse me,” Jackson began. “That woman who just got on the elevator. Did she say anything to you? Did she say where she was going? What floor?”

Kasumi knew only one thing. This individual was speaking English. And he was talking very, very fast. And she had absolutely no idea what he was saying. But she did notice that they were looking at the floor indicator above the elevator doors.

The light shone on five and stopped. Kasumi turned to Jackson and giving him the sweetest smile she could muster said, “Five.”

All three were pondering how pretty this woman was and wondered why they had never seen her before, and each was making a mental note to track her down later and ask her out.

Jackson smiled back. “Thank you very much, you’ve been a great help.” And with that they headed for the stairwell once more.

Kasumi slowly followed feeling very thankful and proud that she had learned to count from one to ten in English.

Nabiki on the other hand was feeling very guilty for having left her sister to fend for herself on the third floor. As the doors slid open on the fifth she looked out. Before her were approximately fifteen to twenty faces that turned to look at her, none of which were of Asian background. All that she could think to say as she reached over to push the third floor button was, “Excuse me.”

A commotion caught her attention on the other end of the hall as three men burst from the stairwell. Feeling rather please with how she was staying one step ahead, she waved to them as the door was closing.

At the stairwell Kasumi turned to face the elevator at the other end of the hall when she heard it ping. She waved as the door opened and she saw her sister within.

Motioning for her Nabiki called, “Will you get in here!” Blinking, she asked, “Say when did you start wearing glasses?”

“What’s on the fifth floor?” Kasumi asked.

Nabiki looked at her sister exasperated and perplexed. “What do you expect? A bunch of Americans! Now, will you get down here and get on the elevator?”

At that moment Kasumi turned to see three tired looking men who were racing down the steps towards her. As they came to the doorway they halted when they spied their quarry down the hall.

She knew it was wrong. She knew that she would regret it later. She even knew that Nabiki might never forgive her for it. But all Kasumi could think to do was smile and point to her sister and say, “Three.”

The men smiled back and ran towards the elevator. Kasumi turned and proceeded up the stairs to the fifth floor.

Nabiki’s jaw dropped open as she began punching the first floor button on the console. “Fine,” she thought. “It’s every woman for herself.”

The three men were getting faster. That or the elevator door was getting slower. Whichever was the case Nabiki was getting worried. She continued to punch the button faster and faster and the three men continued to draw closer and closer. The door began to close, what seemed to be ever so slowly. Nabiki bit her lower lip and closed her eyes. The doors finally came to a close and she could hear the thumping of three bodies against the other side.

“Yes!” She shouted with her fists raised in the air. “It will take more than what you’ve got to catch Nabiki Tendo. And seeing that not one else was in the elevator except her, she began to do a little victory dance.

Nabiki leaned against the back of the elevator and breathed a sigh of relief. She was out of there. Kasumi would just have to take care of herself. What was she after all, her sister’s keeper? As the elevator slowed for its stop at the first floor she prepared to depart. She was looking to see the double-glassed doors that would lead out. What she saw as the doors opened were weapons of every caliber pointed at her. She leaned back against the back of the elevator and sighed once more.

“Busted!” she said resigned.

Kasumi admired herself in the mirror just out of the stairwell on the fifth floor. Actually she thought she looked very good in glasses.

She glanced down the hall. Nabiki was right. There were a lot of Americans on this floor. Thus far no one was paying her any attention. Well, almost no one. There was the tall gentleman at the other end of the hall in the dark suit that was staring at her while talking to his wrist. She did think that was rather odd.

As he began to make his way towards Kasumi, another figure caught her attention. This one coming out of the stairwell and rushing past her. Kasumi breathed a sigh of relief. It was Miss Kennedy. Now she could give her clipboard and glasses back to her.

Kennedy ran up to a young aide and grabbed him by the arms. “Tell me the ambassador hasn’t started the meeting yet,” she pleaded.

The young man looked at her wide-eyed. “About 5 minutes ago,” he responded.

Kennedy hung her head and shook it. Once more she was off and running. She noticed Conway coming towards her down the hall. She had no time to iron out the missing pass. That could wait until after the meeting. She stopped in front of a door, straightened her blouse and smoothed out her dress. Then with an air of dignity she went in.

Across the room from her two men were seated in leather chairs. One was Ambassador McMillan. The other was Prime Minister Ogata. Both men stood as she approached.

“I’m sorry I am late, I lost some materials and haven’t been able to locate them…” Kennedy began.

“Here they are Miss Kennedy,” an unfamiliar voice said behind her.

Kennedy turned to see a young Japanese woman holding her glasses and clipboard out to her. At that moment she saw Conway enter the room with his hand reaching into his suit coat. She raised her hand cautioning the chief of security. Somehow this woman looked vaguely familiar to her but she couldn’t put her finger on it. She did notice the complete absence of any id or security tags. Conway continued to move slowly up behind the smiling young lady and was reaching up to place his hand on her shoulder.
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby Rev. Doc » Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:15 pm

“Miss Tendo, isn’t it?” Kennedy turned to see the ambassador approaching the young woman.

The smile on Kasumi’s face brightened even more. “Why yes, Mr. Ambassador. Kasumi Tendo. I’m surprised that you remember,” she responded bowing. As she did so, Conway attempted a grab but missed.

“Well how could I forget, after the wonderful thing you did for Mrs. Sato yesterday,” he said as he returned her bow.

Anxious about the physical closeness that this security risk presented to the ambassador and the Prime Minister, Conway broke in, “Mr. Ambassador, Miss Tendo does not have security clearance nor id.” He knew that the ambassador would have to realize the severity of the situation.

McMillan smiled to Conway and replied, “Why don’t you see about getting her one of those please Mr. Conway.”

The security chief stood slack jawed and looked at Kennedy with a pleading stare as the ambassador lead Kasumi into the room.

“Miss Tendo, may I introduce to you Prime Minister Takehito Ogata.”

The elderly gentleman bowed to her, and Kasumi returned the gesture. It was at that moment that she realized she was in a place that she had no business being in. She began to blush. She had to find a way to get out of there and fast.

“Mr. Prime Minister, I would like to ask your permission to allow Miss Tendo to remain with us for our discussions today,” McMillan requested.

Ogata wondered what the American was up to. This was definitely a new turn of events that he had not anticipated. Was the ambassador getting ready to do something unexpected in regards to their talks on the importation of rice? He had thought he could trust this man.

Kennedy looked at McMillan like he had lost his mind. She too wondered what he had up his sleeve.

Conway was off to himself talking to his wrist again. On the other end Baker was frantically attempting to dig up any information on one Kasumi Tendo. He was unsuccessful.

“Well, Mr. Ambassador, I have always trusted your judgment on all matters, and I will continue to do so. Therefore, I would be honored to have Miss Tendo with us for today’s talks,” Ogata said politely.

McMillan bowed to the Prime Minister. “Thank you sir,” he replied. “Mr. Conway will you bring a seat in for Miss Tendo?”

The three were seated with Kasumi in the middle. Uncomfortable was now an understatement. She wanted to sink into the cushion of the chair and never surface.

The ambassador crossed his legs and began, “Miss Tendo, you are familiar with the issue of America wanting to export rice and rice products to Japan are you not?”

Kasumi spoke averting her eyes from the diplomats staring down at her hands, which were folded in her lap. “Yes Mr. Ambassador, I have tried to keep up with that particular issue.”

The ambassador looked over at the Prime Minister who looked quizzically at him. “And may I ask what your opinion is concerning this issue?”

Kasumi look up into his eyes and at that moment felt very comfortable in his presence. She sensed that her opinion was truly important to him and he was not just trying to make small talk. She felt like what she thought really could make a difference. “May I speak candidly Mr. Ambassador?” she asked.

McMillan sensed she was relaxing. “I wouldn’t have it any other way Miss Tendo.”

She cleared her throat and began, “With all due respect sir, it’s wrong.”

The room was silent as all eyes were focused on the woman sitting between the two representatives. Kennedy who was sitting directly behind the ambassador was nervously pulling at the hem of her skirt listening to years of negotiations going down the tubes.

“Wrong in what way Miss Tendo?” He asked.

Kasumi directed her remarks to McMillan, “Well, I know you are new to your position here in Japan, Mr. Ambassador. However, I also know that you are very knowledgeable in our language and customs. You are an American but you know the heart of the Japanese people.” She smiled at him. “And this has not escaped us and we hold great respect for you. You surely understand that rice is Japan. It is one thing that can never be taken away from us. It is a part of our identity. Sir, what the United States is asking us to do is set aside who and what we are, things that we hold most dear to us for monetary reasons. You are asking us to set aside thousands of years of our traditions in the name of political achievement. You are asking us to strip away something that we feel sets us apart from others. With all due respect Mr. Ambassador, we can’t do that.”

The ambassador rose and took a few steps and turned back to face Kasumi. “Miss Tendo, I have people back in the United States who have no understanding nor use for traditions. I have lobbyists in the rice industries that are screaming for exportation of their products into your country. What should I tell all of them?”

Kasumi stood and took a step towards the American, “You are a man of power and position, sir. You have been placed there because of your wisdom and understanding of these issues. You judge what is honorable and not. You know yourself that the decisions you make will not be favorable with everyone. You must weigh in the balance what is right and what is wrong. Look at your heart. I know that you will do what is just, and fair, and honorable Mr. Ambassador.”

Prime Minister Ogata listen to the words pour from the young woman’s heart. Words that he wanted to express but could not because of his position as a diplomat. Words spoken so eloquently yet so powerfully. Words he was afraid that had fallen on the deaf ears of the most powerful nation in the world.

McMillan continued to pace back and forth with Kasumi watching him. He stopped and turned to face her with an inquisitive look in his eye. “Miss Tendo, Is there any type of product that the United States might export to Japan besides rice?”

Kasumi sat and thought for a moment. Suddenly a gleam shone in her eyes and she looked up at the American. “Textiles,” she said.

The ambassador came back and sat at the edge of the seat facing Kasumi. “We already export textile products to your country Miss Tendo.”

Kasumi smiled. “But not in the amounts we need, Mr. Ambassador. Linens and especially clothing products. Our young people cannot get enough of that. You could increase your exports three fold and we would have no problem finding a market for it.”

McMillan looked over to the Prime Minister who silently nodded. Once again he rose from his chair. Walking over to the window he looked out. As he scanned the cherry trees in bloom he weighed the possibilities of the proposal. It was not rice, but realistically the ambassador knew that would never transpire for the exact reasons that the young woman had voiced. And this was definitely better than nothing.

He felt a presence behind him and turned. It was the Prime Minister standing there. Quietly he said to the ambassador, “You and I both knew that one of us would be sacrificed in these dealings. I would prefer that it not be you my friend.”

McMillan smiled and took Ogata by the hand. “However, Mr. Prime Minister, as Miss Tendo said, We must do what is honorable and right. And to do that there is only one path available.” With that the two men shook hands and then bowed to one another. “By the way Mr. Prime Minister,” the American continued. “I am looking forward to your being with us at the reception this Saturday night.”

The elder gentleman smiled and said, “I wouldn’t miss it for the world.”

Wade McMillan turned his attention once more to Kasumi. “Miss Tendo I want to thank you for being here today and for exhibiting courage in expressing the truth concerning this matter. My recommendation to Washington will be for the exportation of textile products and not rice.”

Kasumi stood and clasped her hands together in front of her. “I knew you were a man who would understand and do what is right Mr. Ambassador,” she said smiling.
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby Rev. Doc » Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:15 pm

She heard a deep sigh behind her and turned to see Mary Kennedy picking up her clipboard and slowly shaking her head. As the Prime Minister and ambassador exchanged further words Kasumi walked up to her. “Miss Kennedy I am very impressed that you also speak very good Japanese.”

“Not nearly as good as the ambassador, but I am working on it,” the aide replied.

“You don’t agree with what the ambassador is doing?” Kasumi asked.

Kennedy looked up at the young woman before her. “I always agree with Ambassador McMillan,” she said. “I have been with him for many years and I know that he always does the right thing. You just need to understand that this is the world of politics, Miss Tendo. As you yourself said, no matter what decision he makes it will bring opposition. We work with people who can destroy character and career.” She turned to look at McMillan. “The ambassador is a dying breed, Miss Tendo. Most in our circle live and die by the polls that are taken. It is power and monetary gain that drives them. He is one of the few who is willing to stand on principle.”

“Is that why you stay with him?” Kasumi asked.

Kennedy smiled. “Partly,” she responded. “But I have other reasons.”

As she slipped on her glasses she added, “By the way, thank you for returning my papers and glasses. I was very worried about them.”

Kasumi smiled. “You’re quite welcome Miss Kennedy.”

The two men joined the ladies. “Miss Tendo once again thank you for your help today. We are very indebted to you,” McMillan said.

Kasumi looked into his eyes again. “Somehow, Mr. Ambassador, I feel that you would have made the right choice with or without my being here,” she replied.

Ogata once more bowed and asked, “You never mentioned your background Miss Tendo. Is your degree in Political Science or Economics? And where was it obtained?”

Kasumi smiled and replied, “Everything I know I learned at the Tendo Dojo Mr. Prime Minister.”

The ambassador turned to his security officer who was standing off to the side and said, “Conway will you please see to it that Miss Tendo is escorted safely home after the press conference.” And then as an afterthought he added, “By the way Conway, we need to have a security meeting this afternoon. Please have all your staff there.”

The chief of security’s shoulders sagged and Mary Kennedy stifled a laugh. “By the way,” the ambassador added, “You need to be there as well Miss Kennedy.” It was her shoulders that sagged then.

It truly had been a pretty day. Kasumi still had her afternoon shopping to do but the limousine driver had been insistent, on orders of the ambassador, to remain with her and see that she got home safely. It was nice not to have to carry her shopping bag the whole distance for once.

As soon as dinner was finished, Kasumi sat and watched the evening news with the rest of the family. Very uncharacteristic her father thought as usually she was insistent on getting the dirty dishes up and washed as soon as possible.

The top story of the day was the apparent agreement between the United States and Japan not to pursue the importation of American rice but instead to increase that of American textiles.

Soun looked up from his paper and stated, “Finally, someone with some sense making decisions on the issue.”

Kasumi held up her hand, “Shhhhhh.”

On the TV the American Ambassador was making a statement with regards to the trade deal with the Japanese Prime Minister standing beside him. Kasumi had been at the back of the room behind the reporters and cameras. It was where she felt she belonged.

With the news over, Kasumi proceeded to clean up. As she entered into the kitchen Soun looked over the top of his paper and commented, “By the way Kasumi, make sure you leave something out for Nabiki, I’m not sure where she is or what time she will be back.”

Everyone jump at the sound of crashing dinnerware coming from the kitchen.

Ranma turned to Akane and commented, “Kasumi sure has been breaking a lot of dishes lately.”

“She sure has,” His fiancé agreed.

Mothers tell the story and it is related by children seeking to frighten one another around campfires. On very cold clear nights, when the moon is full and there is not a hint of wind or breeze. If you stand in the part of town known as Embassy Row you can hear her.

It is a mournful cry they say. The cry of one betrayed. By a sister no less. Left behind in the deep caverns of the earth. Bound and forgotten. Calling out a name and hoping for release from her dark captivity.

If you are silent, at just the right hour you too may hear her issue that name in a lamentable voice, “Kasumiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!”
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Return to Writing