Mystery manga: help me if you can. . .

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Mystery manga: help me if you can. . .

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:01 pm

Okay, I know I read this summary somewhere. I thought it was in an "upcoming release" thing, but I'm not sure. So here's the summary.

It's about this chick who's a bit of a tomboy. Her dad is some important person-- a prime minister or a rich guy by marriage or something-- and so he pays these two(or three) guys to come and train his daughter to be a charming young lady. Maybe the guys he pays to train her owed him for something or were being blackmailed. Maybe. And you know, this is shoujo manga-- just fill in the blanks.

So, does anybody have any idea what I'm talking about? :hits_self
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Ashley » Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:28 pm

Well, I can tell you this much--there's a 99.9% chance it wasn't written by Tanemura Arina. :lol:
Ashley

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:02 pm

I couldn't tell you either, but it sounds a lot like Taming of the Shrew (and possibly My Fair Lady).
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby Psycho Ann » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:03 am

It's a story premise a bit similiar to Perfect Girl Evolution but that's all I remember that most closely resembles the manga you're looking for. Otherwise... 'shoujo transformation' plots make up a big chunk of shoujo manga ^^;; If it's not too long ago, have you tried backtracking through your browser's history lists?
-Psalm 27:1-
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.
Cognatio- Online Christian Manga Exchange

"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
Psycho Ann

Postby Mave » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:01 pm

Ann just took the words out from my mind upon reading this thread: Perfect Girl Evolution.

4 young bishies take on the task of turning a freaky anti-social girl into a young beautiful charming lady, in return of free housing and other amenities(?) provided by the girl's parents. Sound familiar?

Even if this is not the story you're looking for, do check this one out. I like it so far. xD
Mave

Postby MasterDias » Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:12 pm

Hmmmmm.
Del Rey recently announced an "upcoming release" manga called "The Wallflower" which has a story summary somewhat similar to what you discribed.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/pressrelease.php?id=417

Aside from that, I'm not sure.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:09 pm

AHH!!! That's it! Wallflower. Now I remember. Yeah, actually, I'm pretty sure that Perfect Girl Evolution and Wall flower are one and the same. Thanks so much for the help,
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Psycho Ann » Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:00 pm

*Spits out her soda* WHAT?!?!?!? Yamande is licensed!?!? And they're calling it "The Wall Flower"? ^^;;; Oh well, I hope they keep everything else original (good thing it seems the names are all correct), I'm definitely going to buy and collect this series ^^
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.

Psycho Ann

Postby Kisa » Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:35 pm

Where can you get it? sounds good . . . ^^
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Mangafanatic » Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:00 pm

I don't think it's release yet. Hmff. . . but I think I wanna read it when it comes out. Anyone know where I can get some sample art? A scanned page. Anything?

Mangafanatic

Postby Psycho Ann » Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:52 pm

http://www.animewaves.net/animewaves.php?goto=m-pge

Though do know it's a mangascan site and if you're against these things, I'm not recommending the mangascan itself. It's only that that's probably the only place you can glimpse the covers. If you're wondering, yes, I read Yamanade from there, but I will buy the graphic novels if they come out. A really funny series though there might be some content that might offend readers.

Psycho Ann

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:31 am

This manga has a lot of unsuitable stuff for a Christian-so much that I stopped reading it after like I *think* the 2nd volume. I read the unlicensed version of it by a scanlating (scans+ translations) group earlier this year-this is news to me that's it's being licensed. First of all, the main girl seriously wanted to kill one of the guys in the manga. She had it all planned out (her killing him) and was very upset when he was kidnapped by some guy to be made into a male prostitute b/c it ruined her plans for killing him that she had for later on that night. The main (and only) reason she had for rescuing him was so she could continue on her plans for killing him b/c
no one was allowed to kill him but her
. Also, the manga gave the impression that the mangaka wouldn't mind having those two main characters 'sleep' together (you know what I mean) through little things like all the girls at the school they went to being jealous of the main girl b/c she lived in the same house as them and could do all sorts of things like 'peek on them in the showers, slip into their beds at night' and other perverted things like that. Eventually the main girl does accidently see one of the guys naked in the shower and the guy was very close to being shown full-frontal nudity. Needless to say, I stopped the manga b/c of all those sort of things that the mangaka added in. Also, the girl is weird-all she does basically is watch very gory (her fav.) types of western movies all day w/ no lights on in her room. I think that the only times she went out of her room was to cook for them, use the bathroom, and go to school. I don't recommend this series.
" 'Tis strange-but true; for truth is always strange, stranger than fiction." ~Lord Byron

"When you see a fork in the road, take it." ~Yogi Berra
Indigo_Eyes

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:33 am

Yes, that scanlation group that Psycho Ann gasve is where I got it but I still don't recommend it.......
" 'Tis strange-but true; for truth is always strange, stranger than fiction." ~Lord Byron

Indigo_Eyes

Postby Jasdero » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:56 pm

yeah. that does sound like a good read. i'll have to check up on it. perfect girl evolution/wallflower, i mean. ^_^
× s h i n i e s , y e s ? ×

does it not burn... LIKE THE SUN?!
Jasdero

Postby Psycho Ann » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:43 am

As I said, there's going to be content that may be offensive to most. I personally just had a good laugh ^^;;; Since I'm a fan of horror *anything* and what PGE/Yamanade/TW dishes out is actually quite mild to most titles I've read over the years.

Indigo_Eyes, the way you said those things really made them sound worse than it is... or maybe I'm just insensitive to it in context to the manga. Up to volume 5, things really aren't that bad, it's almost a satire at points and make fun of these factors even. But again, I do urge for everyone wanting to see this series to consider Indigo_Eyes post, they are in there, and if you're not sure then check it out for yourselves.

For those who like The Ring (especially the Jap version) you might like it as much as I do ;)

Psycho Ann

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:35 pm

Indigo_Eyes, the way you said those things really made them sound worse than it is...

Sorry, I don't mean to sound like such a downer. The mangaka probably meant a lot of those things as comedic things, it just didn't always come off that way to me.

Indigo_Eyes

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews