Where To Find Legal Manga

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Where To Find Legal Manga

Postby Atria35 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:26 pm

Well, there's a thread like it for anime... :lol: Anycase, right now there are some great resources if you want to buy manga. There's always the bookstores, like

Barnes and Noble
Books-A-Million

But there's also a good amount of online-only stores that carry it, like
Better World Books
Rightstuf (has some wonderful regular sales)
Book Depository (Free shipping worldwide and prices CAN be changed to US $... or any money exchange)

And as some of you are aware, there's now online manga- you buy it and read it on your computer instantly!
JManga (the prices really aren't that different from in-store, and if it goes under you lose everything you bought. I find better prices on Rightstuf)
Dark Horse (has a store for digital manga, and at pretty decent prices)
Atria35

Postby rocklobster » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:48 pm

What I'd like is something more like Crunchy Roll, but for manga. Maybe with occassional pop-ups to cover the costs?
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:05 pm

rocklobster (post: 1514320) wrote:What I'd like is something more like Crunchy Roll, but for manga. Maybe with occassional pop-ups to cover the costs?

That would be awesome.

It doesn't exist yet.

However, the publishers will occasionally put a few pages or even the first chapter online for people to read. Viz Media keeps the first chapter of each volume of their Shounen Sunday available on their website, as well as the chapters from the "up and coming" volume as they're translated. You can pretty much read it as it comes out that way.
Shounen Sunday

Viz's Signature Line does something similar.

More eManga for buying (this site does mostly yaoi, but has a few other titles besides those like Itazura na Kiss):
eManga
Atria35

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:39 pm

I do find Books-a-Million to be a good choice. It is better to buy from them online than from the physical stores due to cuts in the retail price and club members prices are quite low sometimes. The only problem I have is that they are rather slow when it comes to deliverly and availibility.
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby Atria35 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:10 pm

If you happen to have a Nook or a Kindle, then you can also look into buying them for that. While most of the manga for the Nook are yaoi or adaptations of Harlequin Romances, they have some series that might be worth your time and money, such as Angel Diary, Amazing Agent Luna, Hollow Fields, Jack Frost, Vampire Hunter D, 13th Boy, Highschool Of The Dead, Pig Bride, Nightschool, Moon Boy, and even Yotsuba available.

You do need to watch out, though, since some manga can only be read on the Nook Color or the new Nook Tablet. Many are unavailable for viewing on the original Nook.
Atria35

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:46 pm

More updates for legal manga:

If you happen to have a Nook, you can only read manga on the Color or Fire, not on the regular Nook (highly disappointed in this since guess what I have?).

However, you CAN read manga on a basic Kindle, and it's about $20 cheaper than a Nook.
Atria35

Postby Valkaiser » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:18 pm

Hastings is great for used manga.
I usually buy any priced at $1.50.
That is, if they are the first in the series.
Valkaiser

Postby Exlon » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:20 pm

Amazon works well too. You qualify for free shipping if your order is at least $25, which tends to be equivalent to about 3 manga books for me. Of course, this works if you're like me, and like your books new. Free shipping takes from 5-8 business days I think.
[SIZE="3"][font="System"][color="PaleTurquoise"]Remember, Sora...you are the one who will open the door to the light.[/color][/font][/SIZE]
Exlon

Postby Exlon » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:57 pm

I don't know if double-posting is allowed on this forum, but I couldn't edit my last post, so I thought I'd just add this in for some info.

I just ordered a bunch of manga on Target.com, as a fair number of them are lower-priced than even Amazon. I just got 4 Ouran books for less than $7 each. Shipping costs though, so I'd suggest buying manga in bulk to get free shipping (meaning it has to be valued at least $50). I think it's worth it if you can find manga you want that's discounted.
[SIZE="3"][font="System"][color="PaleTurquoise"]Remember, Sora...you are the one who will open the door to the light.[/color][/font][/SIZE]
Exlon

Postby DangoDaikazoku » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:26 am

There's also the option of libraries for those whose libraries have an mazing manga section, or if you just want them freeby. (Our library branch has a fair amount) Ever since Border's closed though, I've been using Barnes and Noble for buying manga. How I miss Border's though, their manga selection was the best. (But I suppose Amazon outdid them)
DangoDaikazoku

Postby Atria35 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:35 am

DangoDaikazoku (post: 1532879) wrote:There's also the option of libraries for those whose libraries have an mazing manga section, or if you just want them freeby. (Our library branch has a fair amount) Ever since Border's closed though, I've been using Barnes and Noble for buying manga. How I miss Border's though, their manga selection was the best. (But I suppose Amazon outdid them)

Libraries are a good option for some people- and if your library doesn't carry manga or anime, request a few series (or movies- movies are more likely to be bought)! You might be surprised, especially if you're a regular there. Or get a group of manga and anime lovers together, and see if you can't all go in and talk with whomever's in charge of the purchases. It could be an interesting and insighful talk- they might be willing to buy the first volume of a few series to give it a shot.
Atria35

Postby sto » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:58 pm

It's worth mentioning that the Viz iOS app is pretty great for buying and reading Viz manga digitally. It works really well (I think it's based off the comixology app, like the DC and Marvel apps are) and most of the Shonen Jump titles seem to be cheaper than the printed versions (non-Shonen Jump titles are, like in print, more expensive). The app may also be available for Android (and thus Kindle Fire), though I'm not sure.

For ordering manga in print, I'm a fan of: http://www.animecornerstore.com/
sto

Postby Atria35 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:53 am

While it's manhwa instead of manga,
NetComics.com is a legal site to read that.
Atria35

Postby sim96 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:39 am

go to *modsnip* free legal manga

CAA Rules wrote:Linking illegal downloads or scanlations - For liability reasons, the policy of CAA is no links to sites hosting or supporting fansubs/scanlations on the forums. You may not ask for them or give them except via PM. Copyright law applies regardless of if the series has been licensed in the United States or your native country.
*When life gives you lemons you clone those lemons and make super lemons*
sim96

Postby Maokun » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:11 am

In fact it's not legal at all. It's twice (or once -depending on your views on fan scanlation) stolen: Mangafox downloads scanlations and erases credit pages and even watermarks (or sometimes they don't even bother) and uploads them in their site and proceed to cash in a fat check on the immense traffic they get, basically profiting from both the creator's and the scanlator's hard work. It is as low as you can go. I've seen even stuff ripped directly from manga released in western countries.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby Neane » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:58 pm

Neane

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews