Fruits Basket vol. 1

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Fruits Basket vol. 1

Postby Gypsy » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:38 am

I was just wondering who else had read the manga. It seems that the anime was designed to follow the manga almost frame by frame. I also found the art quality seemed to vary a little. Some of the frames seemed almost rushed.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

True true

Postby Chapel » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:15 pm

However I do so like both. The anime is just a rush of Laughs, and the Manga is the same, I did notice that the character designs were differing in some respects, I like the character designs in the anime better than the manga, but that just me.

-chapel-
Chapel

Postby Gypsy » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:46 pm

I agree, but I have a feeling that's because I was attached to the anime long before I read the manga. :sweat:
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby RoyalWing » Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:19 pm

i like the comics better.... (well, probably because the opposite of you, i'm collecting the comic before i saw pictures of the anime, i haven't even watched it) ^v^ it's just that i like the art ALOT. i don't really see anything wrong with it, i find it very.... "neat". plus, the comments and freetalk of ms. takaya are really funny!! i don't really like the look of the characters in the anime, sorry.. also, i've realized that everyone i've met that watch the anime hate Yuki. i don't know why, he's one of my favourites characters, so i wonder if they changed something in the anime?(also, the anime stopped at about the fourth book. i wonder what happened.. maybe it's just because yuki is "angelic"... or girlie... oh well) lol, it's just that i'm an big enthusiasist of kyoxkagura and yukixtohru. ^-^;;
RoyalWing

Postby blue elf » Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:28 pm

I just finished reading vol 1. a few days ago. I'd read some scanlations of it a long time ago, but getting it in actual print is so much better. lol ^_^ I like the character designs of the manga, but I think I like the designs for the anime a bit better.

Waddledee, I don't hate Yuki. He's my fave. character next to Hatori. I'm also a YukixTohru supporter too so....^_^

-BlueElf
blue elf

Postby Gypsy » Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:33 pm

You have a point ... I don't care for Yuki at all, really. I did notice that I liked him better in the manga, though. Interesting observation.
Gypsy

Postby shooraijin » Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:35 am

> I don't care for Yuki at all, really.

Really? Hmm. Well, my favourite character was Shigure, anyway (with Hana, the Electric Girl, being a very close second). ^^ But I liked Yuki's style ...

> the anime made me be a fan of Kyou-Tohru pairing

Eeeeeek.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Rev. Doc » Sat Feb 21, 2004 5:14 am

I have thought of getting this manga for my daughter. I balked at showing her the anime because of the language (particularly with Kyo). Can anyone tell me if this is also true with the manga?
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby RoyalWing » Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:38 am

wow. lots of questions! and i'd like to answer them since... i really like furuba and i have lots of the volumes in french! so here i go!! ^-^

kyo has a language problem initially, and so does one of tohru's friends arisa uotani (but it's more... rare). firstly the comic is not THAT bad, he usually just says the word "d*mn" alot, and i think once in a while he decides to say "sh*t" but this is part of the humour (because no matter how big he tries to sound, no one cares. :P poor kyo) in my experience when i go to read something translated into english, i find that they have added even MORE 'words', but since i am not interested in the english version, i'll just say it depends on the maturity level of your child and what YOU think is appropriate for him/her.
it also should be mentioned that the characters in this comic are not christian. most of the time it doesn't matter, and it's very mild, but you should just keep this in mind, like in most cartoons. for example, once shiguré says; "i don't know what's going to happen. i don't even think our gods know.." and tohru saying "i went to the temple to pray that they get along better... but it doesn't seem to have worked" just little things like that. (because... well... the whole series is based on the chinese zodiac. so this should be expected.) also you will find out that a character in the series represents the "god" that made the chinese zodiac, however to my knowledge he is not granted any special powers, worship, and other "divine" thingies... he's just a guy, and infact, has very weak health.

the comic is still ongoing. i think the 5th volume has come out in english, the ninth has come out in french, the 12th just came out in korean, and finally, the 13th came out in japan. it hasn't ended and tohru has not gone with anyone to my knowledge. i don't think the anime will be continued.

I don't really have favourite characters. they are all so cute or so funny. kyo and yuki are so different but the same too... i hope one day they get along (i kind of know why kyo hates yuki but-- that would be too much of a spoiler!) i like both kyo and yuki equally. i love ayamé and shiguré, they are so funny, and when they're together with hatori they're lethal!! DYING OF LAUGHTER~!

ugh, i'm going to end by gushing here, but i really hope yuki tells tohru he loves her. or kyo finally accepts kagura! i hope kyo realizes that everything he wants in tohru, he is freely offered by kagura. and just to spoil you guys a bit... kyo hugs kagura in one of the later books. :P

p.s. YAY for tohru and yuki!! thank you blue elf!!! :lol:
RoyalWing

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews