Opinions of Christian Manga!

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Opinions of Christian Manga!

Postby CAAOutkast » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:18 pm

I know this sounds Stupid,But I Want to know what everyone's take is on Christian Manga{both mainstream and non-mainstream}? While not Perfect,I think Most Christian Manga is Very Enjoyable. One of My Favorite series is Psycho Ann's Psychoteers.
Eternal Fan of Sailor Moon and the Original Mega Man!
CAAOutkast

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:36 pm

As far as serious titles go, both are fairly sparse fields.

Print: Between Serenity and Shelter of Wings, the latter wins by a long shot. Fortunately, we should have multiple new series from Zondervan and Thomas Nelson in a few years, so this could become a legitimate subcategory.

Web: Heh. I'm too biased on this account to give a favorite.
uc pseudonym

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:43 pm

I haven't read much Christian Manga unfortunately... although I currently writing a story that I intend to make into one.

My take is that if a story can be told, without the cliches then it is probably worth my reading. I like plot twists... ^_^;

Granted my story, I am writing might be a bit cliche, I think it has a bit more than some cliche'd stories do.

So I guess it all depends, sometimes the artwork isn't as professional as I would like, but you learn as you work I suppose ^^
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Souba » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:02 pm

Hmm, I've really enjoyed what I've read so far both the Serenity, and Shelter of Wings series, but I am biased to Shelter cause the quality is outstanding! Well and I know Lisa...
Anyway, I am working on a traditional comic right now, and I decided to add as a side feature a manga version page to each comic. The first will be published in the next few months in Megazeen issue 14 so guess I can get some feedback from everyone on that later. ;)
Still I hope we get more Christian mangas done in top quality with original storylines that will give tokyopop a run for it's money. :P
God Bless,
Souba
@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~

[color="RoyalBlue"]We are not saved by the Law, but by Grace[/color]

Souba

Location: Second star to the right and straight on until morning!

Postby The Doctor » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:05 pm

When there's good ones out, I'll read them.
My new project: Story Ship, a storyblog. Now updates are every Friday!
http://storyship.blogspot.com/

Check out my short film IMPACT. Trailer available at impactshortfilm.webs.com. Short film now available FREE at http://bit.ly/cglmZ6

"There is therefore now NO condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." Romans 8:1
The Doctor

Postby CAAOutkast » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:16 pm

[quote="Souba"]Hmm, I've really enjoyed what I've read so far both the Serenity, and Shelter of Wings series, but I am biased to Shelter cause the quality is outstanding! Well and I know Lisa...
Anyway, I am working on a traditional comic right now, and I decided to add as a side feature a manga version page to each comic. The first will be published in the next few months in Megazeen issue 14 so guess I can get some feedback from everyone on that later. ]

Christian Manga that gives both Tokyo Pop and the Shonen Jump a run for it's money would be Awsome. BTW I have NOTHING against Shonen Jump or Tokyo Pop.
CAAOutkast

Postby CAAOutkast » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:27 pm

Don't forget about this site: http://theproject.us/
CAAOutkast

Postby Fiore teh Duck » Mon May 21, 2007 2:18 am

After reading Serenity....I've vowed off Christian manga.

(that may sound evil...but forgive me if I dislike art styles that just 'try too hard', rather flat characters...and the premise of a Bible Club pretty much stalking a girl into learning about Christianity, whether she likes it or not. While it may be a good thing to help her to understand the bible....the methods are pretty...erm, interesting?)
Fiore teh Duck

Postby ChristianKitsune » Mon May 21, 2007 3:02 am

Fiore teh Duck wrote:After reading Serenity....I've vowed off Christian manga.

(that may sound evil...but forgive me if I dislike art styles that just 'try too hard', rather flat characters...and the premise of a Bible Club pretty much stalking a girl into learning about Christianity, whether she likes it or not. While it may be a good thing to help her to understand the bible....the methods are pretty...erm, interesting?)

I agree with you, FTD.

In my story...her parents are trying to get her to go to Church...but she doesnt want to go..and they aren't gonna make her.. ^^; she will come to terms about the Truth on her own...with a little bit of Spirtiual warfare action.. bwhaahah *cough* >_<
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Puguni » Mon May 21, 2007 8:30 am

I feel Christian mangas have to be more subtle than...what they are now. Despite being one myself, I feel turned off by the obvious messages. I know God is great and good, but it's much more effective to demonstrate it than preach it and stuff it into readers, if they're Christian or not.

Also, I'm not in a Bible study group, so personally for me, it's hard to relate to these Christian "mangas." Also, I don't live in a place where Christianity is a main staple of society, and believe it or not, a lot of manga readers come from major cities. Why do you think there are more mangas stores there? My high school library probably has more mangas than other bookstores in other, less populated areas. Is there anything wrong with that? No!

I'm saying that Christian manga...artists also have to keep in mind of the secular people. Are they making manga for Christians or secular people?
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Mon May 21, 2007 8:49 am

I've read Serenity but, like said, it's artwork is a bit... well, lame. I understand that they are trying, but it's just not working. Also, it just kinda throws the message of salvation and God right at the readers. That's not fun.

You know what would be nice? If there was a Christian manga that sorta disguised the message and made the readers figure it out. Not specifically a mystery manga, just something that actually makes us use our brain.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby Ashley » Mon May 21, 2007 9:39 am

Two of our very own CAAers--aside from those already mentioned--are making huge strides in this department to avoid the pitfalls of other Christian manga. Inkhana's Game Plan! is a superbly drawn, comedy filled delight that I think everyone should look over.

Ditto with Gypsy's Skipping Tomorrows, which is more of a shoujo-esque romantic comedy, but still beautifully drawn and absolutely wonderful in story.

With artists like these, and others on the way, I think future Christian Manga is going to succeed wonderfully.
Ashley

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon May 21, 2007 12:40 pm

I can't guarantee anything, but I would sincerely hope that Serenity will not be representative of this sub-market. There are quite a few series coming out by different companies (most notably Zondervan this August) that I hope will be on a different plane than Serenity.

Puguni wrote:Are they making manga for Christians or secular people?

Christians. Most Christian companies realize they're targeting a niche market (Christian romance has proved they can be financially viable on such) and couldn't care less about the secular audience.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mave » Mon May 21, 2007 6:00 pm

LOL I see where you're coming from. I'm not a Serenity fan BUT.....

my friend, pls don't allow yourself to be discouraged by a single title. I think it's too early to categorize all Christian manga under Serenity. Serenity is part of Christian manga but cannot represent all Christian manga by simple definition because.....well, we don't have many other titles to begin with and like some others have said, the Christian faith is not all about a Bible Club chasing after a girl about Christianity. Yes, Christian manga can tell stories without inserting a church, bible studies and conveniently placed bible verses.

But at the same time, I see nothing wrong with Christian manga dealing with bible studies because it caters to Christians who do have bible studies on a regular basis. Come on, have you see bible study in any manga format anyway? Monsters, vampires, chicks blowing up buildings, robotic.....anything is possible in manga world, except bible studies? This is a great opportunity for ppl to talk about things that are very relevant for some Christians.

I really think we're just lacking in the variety of genres that fall under Christian manga. It's a very young market. Hang on, give this industry some time to explore and throw out more titles. Christian manga has yet to be defined.

Please don't throw in the towel, just because of one title, which was probably not meant to target you as a reader (Christian or secular). I mean, it's like us dissing soap opera but it's a bit unkind because some ppl really do like soap opera. So if some ppl enjoy Serenity, superb! Some sincerely do and I'm happy for them. Let's now focus on creating even more titles to cater to more different groups of believers and non-believers. :)
Mave

Postby Mr. Rogers » Mon May 21, 2007 6:13 pm

How's everything going with The Pilgrim's Progress manga? I think that's been in progress since I joined CAA three years ago xD
Mr. Rogers

Postby ChristianKitsune » Mon May 21, 2007 8:10 pm

sldr4Christ1985 wrote:How's everything going with The Pilgrim's Progress manga? I think that's been in progress since I joined CAA three years ago xD

*FACEPLANT*

Still waiting on me to tone the first chapter... (still learning, and still a greenhorn) =_= yes you can kill me now...but College has kept me super busy this year...maybe I will get more pages done soon.

Well said, Mave, I agree whole-heartedly.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Fiore teh Duck » Tue May 22, 2007 12:28 am

Mave wrote:LOL I see where you're coming from. I'm not a Serenity fan BUT.....

my friend, pls don't allow yourself to be discouraged by a single title. I think it's too early to categorize all Christian manga under Serenity. Serenity is part of Christian manga but cannot represent all Christian manga by simple definition because.....well, we don't have many other titles to begin with and like some others have said, the Christian faith is not all about a Bible Club chasing after a girl about Christianity. Yes, Christian manga can tell stories without inserting a church, bible studies and conveniently placed bible verses.

But at the same time, I see nothing wrong with Christian manga dealing with bible studies because it caters to Christians who do have bible studies on a regular basis. Come on, have you see bible study in any manga format anyway? Monsters, vampires, chicks blowing up buildings, robotic.....anything is possible in manga world, except bible studies? This is a great opportunity for ppl to talk about things that are very relevant for some Christians.

I really think we're just lacking in the variety of genres that fall under Christian manga. It's a very young market. Hang on, give this industry some time to explore and throw out more titles. Christian manga has yet to be defined.

Please don't throw in the towel, just because of one title, which was probably not meant to target you as a reader (Christian or secular). I mean, it's like us dissing soap opera but it's a bit unkind because some ppl really do like soap opera. So if some ppl enjoy Serenity, superb! Some sincerely do and I'm happy for them. Let's now focus on creating even more titles to cater to more different groups of believers and non-believers. :)

I now realise that I really, REALLY worded that wrong in my original post.
:dizzy:

I really didn't like Serenity because while it was obviously a Christian manga...that was it. It didn't show Christianity in a more subtle way (I mean...at all) that could show the message of God to even people who were not Christians. I know that many people I am acquainted with are not in Christ, and sharing with them a story that was so, 'in-your-face', may just turn them off to it even more.

And while Christian manga is pretty much an infant industry, Serenity has gotten a large amount of publicity... :hits_self the first time I heard of the title was when an Atheist I knew was ranting on about how awful it was. It's not that I mind it, I'm glad we have artists out there making Christian manga. I just feel like the first 'really public' Christian manga would have better off been something that wasn't really a, 'convert-me', tale.

Oh yes, and as far as the infant industry that is Christian manga, I hope that we can do a part to broaden it out a bit. I wouldn't mind the idea of a Christian manga at all, or at least a mainstream manga that shows Christianity as something more then vampires and assassins. I really hope that some of our amazing CAA artists could do something for that

:lol:

(I didn't mean to offend any Serenity fans. x.x I'm sorry)
Fiore teh Duck

Postby CAAOutkast » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:30 pm

I For One Like Serenity,It's a Fun Manga.However Serenity,like Jack Chick's Stuff,is Very Entertaining,but shouldn't be used for Evangelizing.
CAAOutkast

Postby Mave » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:40 pm

If anyone is interested in manga created by Christian Japanese artists [at least that's the claim], you could check out Manga Messiah. I haven't read through the books myself but a friend who is fussy about artstyles has recommended it to me. She made me further curious by adding that she thought my artstyle was somewhat similar to this. :lol:

http://www.nextmanga.com/ )

The manga books are based on the bible.

EDIT: Eh.....as how to get our hands on physical copies, let me find out. I'm not quite sure how they plan to distribute this across the regions yet.....
Mave

Postby CAAOutkast » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:35 pm

Mave wrote:If anyone is interested in manga created by Christian Japanese artists [at least that's the claim], you could check out Manga Messiah. I haven't read through the books myself but a friend who is fussy about artstyles has recommended it to me. She made me further curious by adding that she thought my artstyle was somewhat similar to this. :lol:

http://www.nextmanga.com/ )

The manga books are based on the bible.

EDIT: Eh.....as how to get our hands on physical copies, let me find out. I'm not quite sure how they plan to distribute this across the regions yet.....

Hey Mave,How's it going? I'm one of your biggest fans.
CAAOutkast

Postby LadyRushia » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:47 pm

I read the excerpts of Manga Messiah on their website and it looks really good. My only little crit. is that every other word is italicized, but that's not really a big deal. It's supposed to be coming out in the U.S. in September. I just hope that it's sold in regular bookstores so that non-christians have a better chance of looking at it.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Souba » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:14 pm

[color="RoyalBlue"]Hey all,
Just letting you know about some of the Christian Japanese mangas out there. Recently, Christian comics international held a competition featuring Christian artists from all over the world. Some of those included Japanese Christian mangakas. You can view that here. :thumb:
While your there check out Shelter of Wings artist's entry. ;) Beware the one's marked "[color="Red"]NFC[/color]" are not for children.
God Bless,
Souba[/color]

[color="RoyalBlue"]We are not saved by the Law, but by Grace[/color]

Souba

Location: Second star to the right and straight on until morning!

Postby LadyRushia » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:06 pm

Thanks for sharing that link ^_^

"Google Analytics reveal the Japanese to be our most careful and interested visitors ... On average they view more pages per visit, spend a longer amount of time on the site, and have the lowest "bounce rate" of all visitors. Domo arigatou gozaimasu!

- COMIX35"

I burst into tears when I read that, even though it doesn't mean that a huge number of them go to this site. It makes me so happy just to know that at least *some* of them are reading these comics and maybe thinking about what they mean. . . ^_^
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby ChristianKitsune » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:28 pm

Souba wrote:[color="RoyalBlue"]Hey all,
Just letting you know about some of the Christian Japanese mangas out there. Recently, Christian comics international held a competition featuring Christian artists from all over the world. Some of those included Japanese Christian mangakas. You can view that out here. :thumb:
While your there check out Shelter of Wings artist's entry. ;) Beware the one's marked "[color="Red"]NFC[/color]" are not for children.
God Bless,
Souba[/color]

XD There are a lot of CAA artists there too. Including Photosoph, Gyspy, Soul-Alive and Myself. ^_^

But those Japanese entries are really good! I am excited!
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby AsianBlossom » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:17 am

I can't wait to see the results.
RESPECT THE UNBORN AND CHOOSE LIFE...your mother did.

"Do not underestimate the power of the muffin! The muffin will smite all those who question it! The muffin will crush all nay-sayers! He who controls the muffin shall control the entire world!" -Taishi, Comic Party English Dub
AsianBlossom

Postby CAAOutkast » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:35 am

AsianBlossom wrote:I can't wait to see the results.

That makes 2 of us.
CAAOutkast

Postby 12praiseGOD » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:12 pm

well I just started Serenity, i like it, but I wish it wasn't in color, it makes me want to categorize it more as a comic than a manga. Well anyways, it seems pretty good. By the way what is Shelter on wings about?
[color="Red"]If GOD brings you to it, He will bring you through it.- unknown.[SIZE="3"][color="Magenta"][color="Red"][/color][/color][/SIZE]:angel:[/color]

[color="Lime"][color="Lime"]"GOD isn't sitting far away with a magnifying glass, but HE is an ever present GOD" -unknown :thumb:

-meaning he is with us all the time.[/color][/color]

[color="Magenta"]"If you don't trust your wings, you'll be caught in the mountain."-myself:angel:

meaning- "If you don't trust GOD, you'll be caught in the problem."- myself[/color]

[color="Red"]@)}[/color][color="YellowGreen"]-'-,[/color]

[color="Red"]"The farthest distance between a problem and a solution, is the distance between your knees and the floor."- unknown.[/color]
12praiseGOD

Postby PrincessZelda » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:30 am

I've actually never read any Christian mangas... ;;>_>

I don't know, I've just never really heard of many that sounded interesting. Actually, I haven't heard of many period.
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:19 pm

As far as I am aware, there are several Christian manga (defining the word by self-identification) currently available. Realbuzz Studios and Zondervan both have lines of manga. There is also a title called Manga Messiah that was actually produced in Japan and I think is pretty good. I'm not sure what Shelter of Wings' status is, but it is available from Brethren Entertainment's website. Please do check them out, as this is a young industry and it needs support if it is going to improve.

12praiseGOD wrote:By the way what is Shelter on wings about?

In short, a young girl and the angels that protect her. Longer: http://www.shelterofwings.com/
uc pseudonym

Postby CAAOutkast » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:08 am

Manga Messiah? Zondervan? Never heard of these. are their any websites?
CAAOutkast

Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews