Looking for manga

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Looking for manga

Postby mai » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:00 am

I'm looking for some new manga. My ideal is drama, serious plots, philosophy and lots of character development.
I also don't want to read something that degrades the worth of life, e.g. that life is meaningless and it doesn't matter if we are good or bad. Nothing where the main characters are killed in the end, please!

Some titles I'm enjoying currently...
Can't Lose You
Shutter Box
Alichino

As far as content, no sex scenes and mild language [no swearing 5 times on every page -_-] Violance isn't that much of a problem.
If you could just list questional content, I may be willing to put up with somethings if it's a really good story/ and or art.
Thank you for reading this ^-^.

Here are the manga I've already read/own...

Dragon Knights 1-8
Under the Glass Moon 1,2
Pita-Ten 1-3
D.N.Angel 1-6
Fruits Basket 2-4
I.N.V.U. 1,2
The rising stars of manga #1
Naruto 1-3
Alice 19th 1
Immortal Rain 1
Bilingual Card Captor Sakura 1
Pet shop of Horrors 1,2
Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok 1
Planetes 1
Juvenile Orion 1-5
Planet Ladder 1-7
Shonen jump for April
The Wall Flower 1
Last Fantasy 1
Flower of the Deep Sleep 1,2
Qwan 1
Imadoki 1,2
XXX Holic 1
My Cat Loki 1
D.Gray Man 1,2
Jing: King of Bandits Twilight Tales 1-3
Alichino 1-3
Bizenghast 1,2
Shutter Box 1-3
Full Moon wo Sagashite 1,2
Directions of Destiny 1
Tactics 1,2
Tsubasa 1-9
Black Cat 1-4
Ghost Hunt 1-4
+Anima 1
Can't Lose You 1,2
Her Majesty's Dog 1-4
My Website [online comic]

Do you find your self worried alot of the time about things that don't always make sense?

Are you experiencing any of these?
• Persistent feelings of sadness, irritability or anxiety
• Overreaction to irritations
• Loss of interest in activities previously enjoyed,
• Sleep too much, or sleep too little
• Unexpected loss or gain of weight
• Tiredness or restlessness
• Slowed movement, thought and/or speech
• Guilt, low self-esteem, feelings of worthlessness
• Inability to concentrate and poor memory
• Loss of motivation
• Feelings of hopelessness
• Suicidal thoughts and/or behavior
• Withdrawal from relationships, anti-social behavior
• Physical aches and pains that seem to have no other cause

If you have a few of the symptoms on this list, you may be suffering from a form of clinical depression there are many sites that offer advice and help.
mai

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:03 pm

Deathnote,Deathnote,Deathnote,Deathnote and once again DEATHNOTE!!!
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:39 pm

Rurouni Kenshin is decent.. it's pretty violent though

If I were you, I would stick with the series you have! Immortal Rain, FMWS, and Fruits Baskets ARE VERY GOOD TITLES

Except..Later in the FB series...

[spoiler] there is an implied sex scene between a couple of characters. [/spoiler]
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:41 pm

If you want something philosophical and psychological. Serious drama and plot (And characters that look more like-like) check out Urasawa Naoki's Monster. They are currently at volume 5. Trust me. You do not want to miss out on Monster. Some sexual situations (Minor nudity) though it's shown in a realistic light (As in no fanservice) such as prostitution rings and human drama. (None that is glorified) No rampant swearing either.

Yes it's better than death note XD
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Kawaiikneko » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:59 pm

I second DeathNote and Monster. I'd also recommend Diamon Head, but you can only get that online thru scanlations, so if you're looking for books to buy that's not an option. I'd definitely recommend DeathNote though. It's AMAZING. Although the end may not be what you're looking for.... the series is "genius" anyways.
Kawaiikneko

Postby mai » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:31 pm

In Deathnote the main character is evil right? it just sounded darker than I'd want to get into...

I don't like fruits basket, I really tried but I just can't stand Toru.

FMWS I liked, maybe I'll get more of it. It's just the art isn't really my taste.

Immortal Rain had allot of swearing in it, I also noticed pretty realistic nudity in the second volume so I don't know if I would want to read more.

Monster sounds interesting though.

One thing I have struggled with for a long time is depression, I felt horrible [and was crying] for weeks after I saw the end of Cowboy Bebop. Just to give you an idea...

Do you find your self worried alot of the time about things that don't always make sense?

• Loss of motivation

If you have a few of the symptoms on this list, you may be suffering from a form of clinical depression there are many sites that offer advice and help.
mai

Postby Alice » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:45 pm

Firefighter!: Diago of Fire Company M, by Masahito Soda.

I've read two non-consecutive volumes of this, and could not be more impressed. It's not a romance manga, but it's heartwarming, fast-paced, and divided into episodes with great action and emotional appeal.

P.S. It's not dirty at all, unless the other volumes change it a way lot.
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:23 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:If you want something philosophical and psychological. Serious drama and plot (And characters that look more like-like) check out Urasawa Naoki's Monster. They are currently at volume 5. Trust me. You do not want to miss out on Monster. Some sexual situations (Minor nudity) though it's shown in a realistic light (As in no fanservice) such as prostitution rings and human drama. (None that is glorified) No rampant swearing either.

Yes it's better than death note XD

i TOTALLY second that. (maybe that's because i'm actually an opposer of death note. it's not my type of manga) you should definitely read Monster. you could also try 20th century boys (nudity is around the same area as Monster cause it's the same author). here are some other suggestions:
hunter x hunter
eyeshield 21
fullmetal alchemist (the manga's way better than the anime. seriously. IMO.)
getbackers (quite a deal of fanservice here and also a lot of swearing so be warned. somehow, i still find this manga to be really interesting and i still enjoy the manga.)
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby mai » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:34 pm

Thanks for the sugestions ^-^ I'll have to go to the bookstore soon.
There were some titles I was interested in getting,
Dokebi Bride by Marley
AEGIS by Jinha Yoo
Real Lies by Si-Young Lee
Night of the Beasts by Chika Shiomi
ES by Fuyumi Soryo
Tokyopop has gotten a number of Mitsukazu Mihara's books so I was looking into those.
Has anyone read these?

• Loss of motivation

mai

Postby Mega.EXE » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:32 pm

Tennis No Ouiji-Sama (Prince of Tennis)
or Mega Man NT Warrior
Mega Man so far (Volume 9) is completely clean of Sex (Well they are Computer Programs after all) and clean of Swearing completely
Prince of Tennis from what I've read ('Bout 5-6 Volumes) is clean except for a little cursing) But I highly recommend the Mega Man Manga ^^
Mega.EXE

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:31 pm

OHH! I remember that scene...^^; I forgot it because I took a pen and gaver her a swimsuit...>_<
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby mai » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:52 pm

I went to the bookstore and looked at some of the titles mentioned,
Firefighter!: Diago of Fire Company M, by Masahito Soda. [I couldn’t find it}
Hunter x hunter [The art was a little to simple, the characters didn't look appealing to me]
Eyeshield 21 [Similar to HxH}
Getbackers [to much fanservice -_- and the art didn't really impress me]
Urasawa Naoki's Monster [the story sounds interesting, art wasn't my favorite but I think I'll give it a try]

Sorry I'm so picky -_-; any other suggestions?

• Loss of motivation

mai

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:10 pm

[quote="mai"]Hunter x hunter [The art was a little to simple, the characters didn't look appealing to me]
Eyeshield 21 [Similar to HxH}
Getbackers [to much fanservice -_- and the art didn't really impress me]
Urasawa Naoki's Monster [the story sounds interesting, art wasn't my favorite but I think I'll give it a try]

Sorry I'm so picky -_-]

wow. looks like art is a really big deal to you. allow me to return your reasons with some replies of my own.

hunter x hunter - the art gets better as the story progresses. if you don't think so, then simply forget that the art is simple and focus on the aspects the manga cool. the characters REALLY develop as the story progresses. the manga progresses at quite a rapid pace so it's essential to start on the first volume. the artist is actually a veteran artist, yoshiro togashi, author of yu yu hakusho. his art can be both simple at times, but at other times, extremely detailed. it all depends on the mood of the event. it would be wise to read from the first volume so you would notice the vast change of the art as the volumes progress.

eyeshield 21 - the art also gets better as the story progresses. WAY better. the characters become more interesting also as the story progresses. more characters get revealed later on in the series and the plot thickens dramatically later on. lots of character development with extremely original character designs and plot. keep reading the manga and you'll start to get hooked (unless football really isn't your thing). it would be wise here, also to start from the first volume and make your way up if you would want to play victim to the full change in the art from the first volume to the latest.

getbackers - not much to say here. true, lots of fanservice and language (i did warn you) but getbackers is sorta a personal pick of mine. i don't know many people who like this manga but the people who do like it a lot. a lot of this manga depends on your taste not only for action but also for characters. i really like the characters in this manga. the art is pretty scratchy or whatever but that doesn't really faze me. the battles however are spectacular and very well done.

monster - at least you're considering monster. it doesn't matter if the art's not your type. the story alone should make it a must read. the characters are actually more realistic and not as anime like. very, VERY well done setting design especially for a manga that doesn't take place in japan. urasawa definitely did his studying there. an amazing storyline and great characters/development should really make this manga enjoyable to you.

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby mai » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:28 pm

I personally enjoy books more than comics so if I don't like the art I probably wont spend my money on it, my favorite book is The Count of Monty Cristo [quite a big book too].
I'll take another look at Hunter x hunter and Eyeshield 21 I did look at the latest volume of each.

• Loss of motivation

mai

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:35 pm

mai wrote:I'll take another look at Hunter x hunter and Eyeshield 21 I did look at the latest volume of each.

glad to hear that. guess my provacation took effect in the earlier post. :sweat:

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Sami_jane » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:52 pm

i just started + Anima. its about these people who are shunned because tehy are part animals. the main caracter is a boy who is part crow and how he gains friends like him on the way. its a really great manga so far. course i have only read the first book.
Sami_jane

Postby Joshua Christopher » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:08 pm

Fullmetal Alchemist is a pretty good one to read. There's not really any fanservice (a small bit, but it's not distracting). Some bloody parts, but overall there's nothing terribly offensive.
Joshua Christopher

Postby Maledicte » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:30 pm

Finish Immortal Rain plz. It's finally concluding in November!

There's not a lot of swearing, and there's only one shot of nudity--it's not fanservice and I'm really not sure why it is there.

But it's really good aaaaaah!
Maledicte

Postby Myoti » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:37 am

I'll have to input for the Fullmetal Alchemist manga as well. It is a really good series, much better than the anime. A few scenes may seem a bit depressing, but there's usually something more lighthearted thrown in now-and-then to keep things balanced.

I would put in my usual One Piece plug, but I don't know if it would be your style. It is a good epic series, but more light-hearted than it is "philosophical" or anything (though it does have a few well-done dramatic scenes, if that's of any interest...).
Myoti

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:38 am

mai wrote:I personally enjoy books more than comics so if I don't like the art I probably wont spend my money on it, my favorite book is The Count of Monty Cristo [quite a big book too].
I'll take another look at Hunter x hunter and Eyeshield 21 I did look at the latest volume of each.

If you perfer books over comics you would really like Monster even more. Despite being a manga, it's more "bookish" than "comic-ish".
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby mai » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:15 am

SirThinks2Much wrote:Finish Immortal Rain plz. It's finally concluding in November!

There's not a lot of swearing, and there's only one shot of nudity--it's not fanservice and I'm really not sure why it is there.

But it's really good aaaaaah!

How is the over all feel, depressing or encouraging?

Every book has a philosophy behind it.

I'll get Monster ^-^

• Loss of motivation

mai

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:19 pm

mai wrote:I'll get Monster ^-^

YES! monster is the BOMB! anyways, i already recommended fullmetal alchemist but i'll rerecommend it since it's really good. :sweat:

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:26 pm

Looking over your list, I suggest Rurouni Kenshin. Yeah, it's long, but it's really good. :D The language is scarce (and it's practically non-existent once you get into the Kyoto Arc), there's hardly any sexual content (there's a trans later on, but he's a "bad guy", is looked down upon, and doesn't have that big of a part anyways), and the art is quite good (vols. 1 and 2 *but 1, mostly* don't have the greatest art, and Kenshin basically has a fro, but the art makes GREAT improvements throughout the 28-volume series, and it's very good at the end). Since violence doesn't bother you, this one shouldn't be a problem. I suggest you check it out, if you're willing to invest X-number of dollars on 28 8 dollar volumes. XD And it's not depressing either, so you should enjoy it. :D

I'm also going to suggest that you keep reading Full Moon wo Sagashite. Faaaantastic manga. XD It gets really wonderful after vol. 2, although it does have some sad parts...the overall ending is quite happy, though. :D

Hope that helped! :D
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby mai » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:16 pm

Thanks ^-^
I'll look at FMA, Immortal Rain and Rurouni Kenshin.

Looks like Full Moon wo Sagashite and Monster are what I'll get ^-^

• Loss of motivation

mai

Postby Kawaiikneko » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:47 pm

To answer your question about Death Note earlier, yes Light is evil. I could gush for a long time about the series, but what's so great about it is that it follows the villain. And it QUESTIONS. Is Kira/Light right to be killing the criminals? Is L right for trying to stop him? And above all that it's a highly intellectual comic merely in the way it's executed. The characters are also brilliant, so it's exciting to read their deductions and plans.

In a nutshell - yes, Death Note follows the "bad guy" but he's not portrayed as the good guy. The whole story is the conflict between him and L over who is truly justice, and it's very thought provoking. I've never made it all the way through monster, but I definitely got through Death Note. So... yeah... at least check it out. Do a sit and read at Barnes and Nobles or something and look through the first volume.

On a COMPLETELY seperate note, The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my favorite books too.
Kawaiikneko

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:00 pm

mai wrote:How is the over all feel, depressing or encouraging?

Every book has a philosophy behind it.

I'll get Monster ^-^

Ahhh. It is both depressing and encouraging. Lots of psychological horror (well... sort of horror) A GREAT antagonist. He's like one of the best antagonist in existence. He would make Hannibal Lector cry with fear.

And there is a philosophy behind it, but I'm not saying a word =p

And btw, itll start off slow. The first 3/4ths of volume 1 seem kind of boring and pointless. Just you wait =D Juuuust you wait.

If you want, look in the anime reviews for monsters. I posted it up there. (And the manga and anime are 99.9999% identical)

Edit: I thought you were talking about Monster for a second there :lol: I'm refering to Monster, nor Immortal Rain.
Mr. SmartyPants

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews