Buso Renkin

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Buso Renkin

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:45 pm

Nobuhiro Watsuki's newest project JUST came out a month ago... YAAAY!

So, who has read it?! I haven't gotten a chance to read it, but I did buy it! ^_^

The artwork looks pretty cool! *huggles NW's awesome inking skills*
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:50 pm

I haven't read anything past what little was in vol. 28 of Kenshin. XD; I doubt I'll get started on this series though, since I really can't afford to get hooked on another long series. Someday, maybe! XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby MasterDias » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:33 pm

It's not exactly a long series, or at least, not as long as Kenshin. It's only ten volumes.
I read a bit of it. Not very original, but I figure that it's probably a decent series.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby soul alive » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:39 pm

This is on my list of series to look into eventually. My dorm room and my pocket book dictate that I hold off until another couple of series that I'm currently pursuing are completed. T_T

On a related note, does anyone know when the one shot manga about Yahiko is coming out?
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:34 am

soul alive wrote:On a related note, does anyone know when the one shot manga about Yahiko is coming out?

I think it was supposed to show up in the August issue of Shounen Jump. Unfortunately, I don't subscribe to that magazine (the only Shounen Jump manga I read is Kenshin, and it's not even serialized in there XD), and I didn't have any money when it came out to simply buy it off the shelf.

Now I wish I had read the scans that I found for it some time ago; but, in not wanting to spoil anything in the series at the time, I neglected them. :( Hind sight is 20/20, they say. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby meboeck » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:07 pm

I read the first volume of Buso Renkin, and it looks pretty good. It has some elements that are rather cliche, and there are parts that really remind me of Bleach, but it still looks good enough to check out the next volume. I am very curious as to how the problem presented toward the end of the volume will be resolved.
*insert poem, quote, or witty comment here*

"If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! -- [color=#cc3322]MOES."
[/color]
meboeck

Postby Animus Seed » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:08 pm

I was worried when I first heard the title it would be a wanna-be Fullmetal Alchemist, but really it's not all that similar at all.
Kyrie eléison.
Animus Seed

Postby rurouninaruto » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:33 pm

I think NW has slacked off artwise. Now his art is just average, while Rurouken's artwork was great.

Doesn't look original to me. I think is kinda copys FMA.
rurouninaruto

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:22 pm

wow lots of mixed feeligns on it...^^;

well i think it's a hard leap for him. He went from Samurai and action. To fantasy/action...
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:24 pm

Having read fivish volumes, I would say that it is a decent shonen manga but doesn't really stand out. Notice that I don't say it is derivative (though it shares name similarities to Fullmetal Alchemist and seems oddly like some other series I don't think it is just a ripoff). There is simply nothing that impressed me incredibly.
uc pseudonym

Postby Xiao-Mei » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:35 pm

I really liked it. Some aspects of it copied FMA (I mean, come on? How many people would even give alchemy a second glance if it weren't for Arakawa-sensei?), and Hanabusa = Lust wannabe. Still, it was good.
夏天的雨; Under the summer rain... I burnt away... ~
夏天的天空; Under the summer rain... You turned away ~

Procrastinate now, don't do it later! :drool: :lol:
Xiao-Mei

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:26 pm

Xiao-Mei wrote:I really liked it. Some aspects of it copied FMA (I mean, come on? How many people would even give alchemy a second glance if it weren't for Arakawa-sensei?), and Hanabusa = Lust wannabe. Still, it was good.

i know. and they even copied the homuculus as well.

but anyways, i first found out about this manga when i was playing as the main character in my jump superstars game. i thought he was pretty cool and decided to check out the manga but i couldn't find it anywhere because i had no idea what manga he was from. and then, i saw one of the busou renkin volumes (original japanese format) at one of my bookstores. though it was in japanese, all i could do was look at the pictures. but then, i was able to figure out that it was titled busou renkin. and then, i read two volumes of it before it was translated by shonen jump and decided it wasn't that good. even the reviews didn't it give it that high ratings.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby meboeck » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:55 pm

rurouninaruto wrote:Doesn't look original to me. I think is kinda copys FMA.

Actually, I see more similarities to Bleach than to FMA. Not in the bad guys or the main plot, but in the relationships of the good guys. Namely, the main girl, whose name I can't remember.

[/color]
meboeck

Postby Animus Seed » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:19 pm

Xiao-Mei wrote:I really liked it. Some aspects of it copied FMA (I mean, come on? How many people would even give alchemy a second glance if it weren't for Arakawa-sensei?), and Hanabusa = Lust wannabe. Still, it was good.

Lots of stories used alchemy and homonculi before Fullmetal. It was the "Armor" in the title that threw me.
Kyrie eléison.
Animus Seed

Postby MasterDias » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:49 pm

Animus Seed wrote:Lots of stories used alchemy and homonculi before Fullmetal. It was the "Armor" in the title that threw me.

Hence why Viz didn't bother translating the title. Although it was commonly called Busou Renkin pre-licensing as well so...
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Doubleshadow » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:20 pm

Viz you say? I can't believe I didn't realize who liscensed it. I plan on getting a better look at the series before I buy it, but I definitely plan to try it.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby Kkun » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:54 am

I want to read this because I'm such a huge Rurouni Kenshin fan. I enjoy Watsuki's work greatly.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:11 pm

meboeck wrote:Actually, I see more similarities to Bleach than to FMA. Not in the bad guys or the main plot, but in the relationships of the good guys. Namely, the main girl, whose name I can't remember.

oh you mean how that girl ends up giving the main character his powers. just like how ichigo gets his powers from rukia?

Kkun wrote:I want to read this because I'm such a huge Rurouni Kenshin fan. I enjoy Watsuki's work greatly.

well, i'm not sure if you'll enjoy the manga then. other than the art similarities, you won't find much in common.

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby ChristianKitsune » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:42 pm

J_J put spoilers up please....

I found A LOT of similarities...especially with Watsuki's latest Kenshin volumes and this one.

I don't think Watsuki copied purposefully...and that happens a lot of time in any genre...I don't think there is really anything original anymore...
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby meboeck » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:08 pm

ChristianRonin wrote:I don't think Watsuki copied purposefully...and that happens a lot of time in any genre...I don't think there is really anything original anymore...

I think it's especially difficult in this type of shonen manga. It's like the shonen version of the magical girl genre. Guy somehow ends up with powers. Guy ends up with misterious helper. Guy's close friends are put in danger. Guy uses powers to save friends and then the world. There are also certain little "episodes" that are always bound to happen. Like I said, I think there are some good creative points to Buso Renkin, but there are a lot of things that fit pretty well into the mold. Maybe a little too much. But for now I plan to continue reading.

[/color]
meboeck

Postby jon_jinn » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:22 pm

ChristianRonin wrote:J_J put spoilers up please....

i don't believe there's a need to put up spoilers since these same facts are quoted in both the bleach anime and manga reviews.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:51 pm

I think that in this case jon_jinn is right: what he said was nothing you wouldn't learn after the first chapter, unless you were referring to something other than what I am assuming. Spoiler tags are to be used for anything that would ruin the plot of a story, reveal a secret, or otherwise negatively impact the reading experience for others. But not every piece of information must be hidden.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mave » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:23 pm

I never thought it copied FMA as (at least to me) Watsuki's presentation is quite different from Arakawa's approach. Besides, I knew Buso Renkin a year or two before I did FMA.

I do agree though that there are similarities between Ichigo/Rukia and Muto/Tokiko. That doesn't bother me. Strangely enough, what bothers me are really how weird the villians(??) are. I thought I would have seen every strange idea conceived on this planet blessed by the wonderful sunrays our Good Lord provides but I find it rather bizarre to see....

[spoiler] some dude to have a moustache that resembles a butterfly and to see another running around with a single piece of underwear, wearing a butterfly mask and pwning everyone in his path. I find it disturbing that I find the latter somewhat embarassing and awesome at the same time. My ability to comprehend this bizarre design is a little taxed. LOL [/spoiler]

I know I know...I've mentioned this before but I'm still get thrown off everytime I see that. Alright, this is the last time I'm bringing it up. Promise.
Mave

Postby jon_jinn » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:26 pm

yes, i agree. the villians in busou renkin are quite oddballs.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Xiao-Mei » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:34 pm

The villains are hilarious, in my opinion... wait until you see what the main villains has on later! I laughed for like five minutes!
夏天的雨; Under the summer rain... I burnt away... ~
夏天的天空; Under the summer rain... You turned away ~

Procrastinate now, don't do it later! :drool: :lol:
Xiao-Mei

Postby Mave » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:01 pm

Xiao-Mei wrote:The villains are hilarious, in my opinion... wait until you see what the main villains has on later! I laughed for like five minutes!

I haven't seen anything further than Volume 3 so I can only imagine what could be crazier. :sweat:
Mave

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:52 am

Xiao-Mei wrote:The villains are hilarious, in my opinion... wait until you see what the main villains has on later! I laughed for like five minutes!

hmmm...i'm starting to get scared. JK. :sweat:

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Tommy » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:11 am

I read Volume 1. Nice story Watsuki's got here, but it has nothing on Kenshin.

I find it nothling like FMA. Alchemy is used completely different and the only similarities between the Homunculi and FMA and BR, is the name of the speices. I would like to see the conclusion of this story.
Tommy

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:18 pm

okie sorry J_J I didn't mean to be rude... It seemed like a spoiler to me...*whistles*

Mave those bad guys DO Sound "interesting" to say the least....>_> <_<
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:19 pm

ChristianRonin wrote:okie sorry J_J I didn't mean to be rude... It seemed like a spoiler to me...*whistles*

it's all good. :thumb:

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews