Fairy Tail

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Fairy Tail

Postby Myoti » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:12 pm

I believe there was a thread about this elsewhere but I couldn't locate.

Anyways, I got around to reading the first two chapters, and I'm actually impressed (which for me, lately, has been hard to do). Yes, bits of the art seem similar to OP, but who cares. >.>

Natsu's ability seems interesting, but I'd like to know if there will be more ways he can use it (i.e., like how Luffy finds different ways to use his own abilities).

I'm wary about magic in stories (as it can be pretty easy to mess it up), but if he can keep things within good boundaries and going well, this could end up to be pretty good.

And Grey... both amuses and disturbs me. XD

[SPOILER](If you haven't seen any of it, you can PM me about it.)[/SPOILER]
Myoti

Postby MasterDias » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:19 pm

I've been reading this as well.
It is rather difficult to know exactly where a manga will go just from the first few chapters.

I find it interesting that the supporting mages in the Fairy Tail guild have some sort of weird character flaw/quirk. So far, there is: a drunk, a fightaholic thug character, a ladies man, and .......a streaker.....

We'll see where this leads.

Classic line: "Good for you, Luigi."
Ha!
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:36 am

Ah, I hadn't realized this manga was starting. It seems to me as if the series debut was very recent. I've already given a number of reasons I'm skeptical in that thread, but I'll have to give this series a try. Once I've read some of it perhaps I'll have more to say.
uc pseudonym

Postby Myoti » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:30 pm

Total agreement with both of you. As I said, I'm worried mainly about how well the magic concept will be utilized, but it at least seems to have a pretty good start.

Classic line: "Good for you, Luigi."
Ha!

Yes, that was great. As was Gray. A bit disturbing, yet funny. XD
Good flaws can make some great characters, it seems.
Myoti

Postby Kawaiikneko » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:55 pm

I read the first two chapters (thanks for the links Myoti) and so far it has a really colorful, imaginative set of characters. I can alread tell I'm going to enjoy it. I've never gotten in on a new shounen jump series so early before.... usually I get into them after the first 100 or so chapters are already released (like Naruto and One Piece and Bleach).
Kawaiikneko

Postby Tommy » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:49 pm

Yes, I made a thread for it in the anime section called "Bleach Piece".
Myoti, I would be interested in reading it, I'll PM you.
Tommy

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:08 pm

I didn't get a strong feeling about it either way, from the first two chapters. It has a decent fantasy environment going for it, but that is a plus merely because of my preferences, not because of the series' quality. We'll have to see how it turns out as the plot develops and themes begin to appear.
uc pseudonym

Postby MasterDias » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:14 pm

I vaguely wonder if Mashima will build off of any of the magic elements he used in Rave or use an entirely new system.
Outside of this, I don't really have any further comments about it at the moment.

I read the first two chapters (thanks for the links Myoti) and so far it has a really colorful, imaginative set of characters. I can alread tell I'm going to enjoy it. I've never gotten in on a new shounen jump series so early before.... usually I get into them after the first 100 or so chapters are already released (like Naruto and One Piece and Bleach).

Correction: It's not Shonen Jump, it's Shonen Magazine...
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Kawaiikneko » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:49 pm

My apologies... Shounen something-or-other then. =] No need to be picky.
Kawaiikneko

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews