Is fruits Basket OK for me?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Is fruits Basket OK for me?

Postby Miso_Chan » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:58 pm

I have a Question about Fruits Basket!

Is it OK (in your opinion(and I want lots of those)) for a 13 yr old (a just turned 13 yr old) to read fruits basket, or is it something for older teens? I have heard its great, but I am not so sure, I want to be care and safe, and not read or watch anything risque or inappropriate, so i'm wondering about it. Also, if you could, give me a brief explanation about it.
Miso_Chan

Postby Tarnish » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:04 pm

Fruits Basket, eh? Hmm...It's probably more suited to the 14 and up crowd. I'm up to volume 13 (I think XD;; ) and while there hasn't been anything HORRIBLE yet, I hear that there are some implied sex scenes and like mature content later in the series.
So far, there has been some (not fully visible) nudity, a crossdresser (though he is quite straight), and the obligatory anime pervert. There is also frequent swearing, though it settles down quite a lot around volumes 4 or 5.

I think that's it (but my memory isn't what it used to be...) Ignoring the above, the series is very good, overall.

It is about a young girl who, after losing her mother, lives with the Sohma family. Who as it turns out, is possesed by the 12 spirits of the Chinese zodiac...and a cat. They are turned into these animals whenever they are hugged by a member of the opposite sex.

There's far more to it than that, but it loses some of it's fun if I explain it all here. XD
i draw things

Ponies are for ages six and under.
Tarnish

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:09 pm

Yes, I'd wait on Fruits Basket a while. In my house hold, you're allowed to read Fruits Basket when you're 14. Now, granted, when a manga is appropriate for a particular person is different for each individual, but, based on the typical thirteen year old, I'd say, wait a while on that series. :)
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby jieshi » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:20 pm

You could always try the anime first. To me it appeared to be watered down compared to the manga series
jieshi

Postby Miso_Chan » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:46 am

first off, where can you get the anime, can you get it from blockbuster or something? Also, is the anime on TV, like on Adult swim or some other channel?

i'm ok with somethings, i mean, i read tokyo Mew Mew and what you are saying sorta applies to Tokyo Mew Mew. also, in cardcaptors sakura there are some gay (actually there are a lot) references, that you wouldn't know unless you specifically looked.

I don't want to rush into anything risque, but my friend (she's a half a yr younger than me) said she was thinking about it (about a month ago), so I thought it might be OK, but I had also heard that iit is a little ummmm, I don't know the word I'd like to use but you can fill in the blank.
Miso_Chan

Postby shojoiscool2 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:58 pm

I think it is probably fine for you, there are some mature themes and suggested homosexual themes too. If you feel that you are not a mature 13 years old maybe not. There are a lot of ranges of maturity at your age so I couldn't say for sure. If your really worried you could have your mom or dad read it and then tell you.
shojoiscool2

Postby memmer66 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:36 pm

Miso_Chan wrote:I have a Question about Fruits Basket!

Is it OK (in your opinion(and I want lots of those)) for a 13 yr old (a just turned 13 yr old) to read fruits basket, or is it something for older teens? I have heard its great, but I am not so sure, I want to be care and safe, and not read or watch anything risque or inappropriate, so i'm wondering about it. Also, if you could, give me a brief explanation about it.

It's good that you want to be safe. Fruits Basket is a fun manga and my personal fav (currently need to read vol. 8). But it doe's have some stuff in it. Laguage (possiby the s-word I cant remember. does not use the f-word), some people are naked (though nothing is seen), a dudes a crossdresser, another dudes a perv (but a funny one!) and other stuff. I say get it from the library and read at your own discression.

{Sushi}-san

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
memmer66

Postby MorwenLaicoriel » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:13 pm

Fruits Basket isn't *too* bad, but there is some sexual content in it. Mostly innuendo, although it's implied every now and then that characters are in a relationship that's a bit, well, you know. You might want to wait a little while on it just to be sure.

That being said, it's a great series, so when you feel you're ready to see it I highly recommend it. ^^

As for the anime...I truthfully don't like the anime as much, and as for the content I think it's *mostly* the same, but I'm not sure. The anime's pretty good as well, too. It's not shown on TV anywhere, as far as I know (unless it's shown on Funimation's channel?) Whether or not it's at blockbuster depends on your blockbuster. If you have an online rental service, they sometimes have a better selection. I know Netflix has Fruits Basket (that's the service I use).
MorwenLaicoriel

Postby Nate » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:42 pm

The anime is okay, I don't like it as much as the manga. Plus, the writers of the anime messed up a HUGE plot point, which pretty much makes them unable to continue the series (the manga continues far, far, far past the anime).

As far as mature content, there isn't a lot...at first. However, around chapter 95 or so (not sure which volume that is, or of the number, but that sounds right), the series gets kicked up a few notches. In fact, while I'd recommend the first 14 volumes or so to the 13 and up crowd, the later volumes I would only recommend for 15 at the minimum. That's just me though.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Kawaiikneko » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:36 pm

Luckily for you it's starting to be released VEERRRYYY slowly in America, so by the time they get up to that "kick up the reader age" volume you might be fifteen. XD Hopefully not though.

I don't know if it would be appropriate for a 13 y/o.... I would let my little sister read it, and she's younger than 13. Furuba is actually (imo) cleaner than some of the stuff she watches on TV like Grounded for Life and half the stuff on the Style channel.
Kawaiikneko

Postby SorasOathkeeper » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:17 pm

kaemmerite wrote:As far as mature content, there isn't a lot...at first. However, around chapter 95 or so (not sure which volume that is, or of the number, but that sounds right), the series gets kicked up a few notches. In fact, while I'd recommend the first 14 volumes or so to the 13 and up crowd, the later volumes I would only recommend for 15 at the minimum. That's just me though.

I agree with that.
SorasOathkeeper

Postby Miso_Chan » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:38 pm

yeah. i think i'm gonna have my older brother read it first, he knows me pretty well, and i can borrow the manga from a friend.
私は必死に日本への高等学校の外に移動することを希望し、日本の学生です。とにかく私の場合はより詳細な研究では、メインの仕方を知っているお問い合わせください!

私のお気に入りのアニメをしているカノンは、涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱ハチミツとクローバー、カウボーイビバップ.
Miso_Chan

Postby HisaishiFan » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:00 pm

Orenji wrote:So far, there has been some (not fully visible) nudity, a crossdresser (though he is quite straight), and the obligatory anime pervert. There is also frequent swearing, though it settles down quite a lot around volumes 4 or 5. XD

I'm up to Vol. 14 and I'd say that Orenji's assessment is pretty accurate up to that point. You might want to ask your parents to read a volume or two with you and see what they think. I'd probably recommend 14 or 15 up, though.
But even if we don't feel at ease, God is greater than our feelings and He knows everything. 1 John 3:20 :angel:

Delight in utter trust.
HisaishiFan

Location: Kentucky (formerly I would have said to think rain, but now you should think sweltering heat . . . a

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews